Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

Monday's MLB 15: The Show stream was the longest so far, totaling almost three hours, but despite its length, there wasn't a whole lot of new information shared. Here are all of the details that were discussed:

Uniforms, Head Scans, & Equipment
  • Each MLB team has 10 different jersey slots. There are around 430 uniforms in the game.
  • The Mariners' and Giants' new alternate jerseys will not be in MLB 15: The Show, because there wasn't an available slot to put them into. The developers would have had to replace those teams' throwback uniforms, and Sony San Diego's telemetry shows that gamers are selecting throwbacks too often to justify getting rid of them.
  • In Franchise mode, teams will wear their alternate/throwback uniforms according to their real-life tendencies and schedules.
  • Uniform and face scans files have become so large in size that Sony San Diego is unable to patch new ones into the game after it releases. What you get on the MLB 15 disc is what you'll have all year.
  • There are around 1,500 unique player heads in the game. One head can take a couple of hours to get right, depending on how complicated the hair is.
  • The developers travel to spring training sites to capture minor leaguers' faces before they are called up to the majors.
  • The cameras that were used to scan player faces were also used to scan most of the equipment in MLB 15, though some items had to be modeled from scratch.
Miscellaneous Notes
  • The degree of horizontal/vertical pitch break will be unique for every MLB pitcher and is based on real data from last season.
  • If you decide to use an injured player, his attribute ratings will be negatively impacted, depending on the location and severity of the injury.
  • Every MLB stadium has been improved for MLB 15. There will be a stream later in the month showing off all the ballparks.
  • Historic stadiums are not in the PlayStation 4 version of MLB 15. Sony San Diego believes their return on investment would not be significant enough to make it worth their effort.
  • You can now warm-up pitchers and access your bullpen by pressing up on the d-pad.
  • Fielding "quick shifts" can now be made by pressing down on the d-pad.
  • Road to the Show won't have any new fielding cameras, but the baserunning camera will be less jittery.
  • The MLB's new "pace of play" rules were announced too late to include in MLB 15: The Show.
  • There are about 70 new "third out" animations.
  • Pitchers, batters, and fielders will each have their own unique sets of emotion animations after big plays.
  • Athletes who don't have signature home run celebrations will use a random one from a pool of generic animations.
  • Fans can catch any balls that end up in the stands.
  • George Springer's pre-game dance is in the game.
  • Jason Heyward's batting stance has been updated.

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/05/15 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I think they are only 1-1 at all times for pitchers so that they could have a chance to bunt. If you have watched the few games where they had quick counts turned on you would have noticed a variety of starting counts.
Thanks I think I just saw a bunch of 1-1 as I havent watched much of the other streams but can you or anyone tell me if Quick Counts logic have been tweaked ? I thought it was pretty good last year , Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
A lot of things were expected with the jump to ps4 for the Show.

Things like: Retractable roofs, Correct all-star unis, team unis in the editor, More uniform slots [so things like teams having more than two alternates wouldnt be a problem (mariners, giants, rangers)], new player models etc.

But none of those have come to fruition unfortunately. Maybe in future years (even though some of those things have essentially been ruled out).
I guess I just thought alot of things they couldnt do on the ps3 do to memory as it was explained would be fixed on the ps4 but I understand priorities .

Well that being said I think the game is still very nice graphically and Im liking the new gear especially the catchesrs and gloves but Im hoping to see some sky screen shots with all the different colors and shades at different times .

I like the Radio show or Inside the Show as it adds depth and its sounds like a recap show you might hear in real life so a nice touch !

As far as players models goes I think alot of the gripe is not that there bad but there just old looking after around four years of continual tweaks to a similar model and now they just look like a ps3 model but in better definition kinda like alot of the old animations if that makes sense.

# 62 Jimmydm90 @ 03/05/15 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Thanks I think I just saw a bunch of 1-1 as I havent watched much of the other streams but can you or anyone tell me if Quick Counts logic have been tweaked ? I thought it was pretty good last year , Thanks

The only QC adjustment they've stated is that pitchers at the plate always start with a 1-1 count for bunting purposes.

EDIT: forgot about fewer full counts.

# 63 BravesBoy @ 03/05/15 09:21 AM
Around 430 different uniforms, yet still complaining that there are about 3 jerseys missing...never fails

# 64 Russell_SCEA @ 03/05/15 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydm90
The only QC adjustment they've stated is that pitchers at the plate always start with a 1-1 count for bunting purposes.
Not true check the fact sheet.

# 65 ShowTyme15 @ 03/05/15 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydm90
There also wont be as many 3-0; 3-1; 3-2 counts this year as well.

# 66 Armor and Sword @ 03/05/15 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesBoy
Around 430 different uniforms, yet still complaining that there are about 3 jerseys missing...never fails
Just wait till 3/31 and that first week of release.

Just wait. This is nothing. LOL.

# 67 Stolm @ 03/05/15 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Just wondering I thought when they got on the ps4 we would possibly be able to see the real team colors in the player edit screen instead of the standard show colors ? Just not a priority ? Thanks to anyone who can answer this .

Oh and has Quick counts been redone ? all counts are 1-1 now ? so how it played last year has been rewritten ?
Not having the Team Colours in Player Edit is annoying as hell. Having to jump in and out of Batting Practice to see if the changes looks right while editing a RTTS Players is extrememly tedious and time consuming. Though with the qucker load times, it should be substantially faster .

# 68 BravesBoy @ 03/05/15 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Just wait till 3/31 and that first week of release.

Just wait. This is nothing. LOL.
I will probably have to stay away from the boards for a couple weeks after release. Let the insanity pass, then carefully come back lol

# 69 Goose158 @ 03/05/15 11:47 AM
"The developers travel to spring training sites to capture minor leaguers' faces before they are called up to the majors."

So this means we will have face scans for Bryant, Kang, Castillo, Tomas Etc., when they are called up. If so this is awesome and I am surprised that it isnt getting more mention.

# 70 ShowTyme15 @ 03/05/15 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose158
"The developers travel to spring training sites to capture minor leaguers' faces before they are called up to the majors."

So this means we will have face scans for Bryant, Kang, Castillo, Tomas Etc., when they are called up. If so this is awesome and I am surprised that it isnt getting more mention.
No. If they get called up (and only if the were scanned) they'll have a face scan for MLB 16. Not 15.

# 71 Goose158 @ 03/05/15 11:58 AM
That doesn't really make sense, but I wonder if Russell can comment on this. If they are going around scanning faces why wouldn't they use them when players are added via roster update in 15.

# 72 ShowTyme15 @ 03/05/15 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose158
That doesn't really make sense, but I wonder if Russell can comment on this. If they are going around scanning faces why wouldn't they use them when players are added via roster update in 15.
They already explained it in one of the streams. Their head files are very large and can't be added during a roster update. Facial scans for the game are always done in Spring Training the previous year.

Example: MLB 16 The Show's facial scans are done this spring training.
MLB 15 scans were done spring training 2014.

# 73 Armor and Sword @ 03/05/15 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesBoy
I will probably have to stay away from the boards for a couple weeks after release. Let the insanity pass, then carefully come back lol
Typically The Show Sub Forum has always been one of if the best ones at OS. And IMO it continues to be. However around this time and upon release it has increasingly become littered with more and more troll like posts.

I am always for good constructive discussion. It is what drives the developers of the game to make improvements and additions to the game.

What is starting to gnaw at some members who frequent The Show Forum here is the incessant and juvenile whining and complaining (pissing contests too to boot) that the game has not been changed much since 2006 which I call complete and utter BS on. Hell from 2009 till now it has changed so much for the better. It's almost night and day from an on the field game play perspective. And off the field this year will bring even more improvements and enhancements to franchise mode. I thought 14 brought some great enahncements. And let's not forget the amazing new features over the last 3 iterations:

Ball Physics - HUGE!!!!

Quick Counts

Y2Y saves

Better scouting interface

Better player training interface

Analog controls

Score ticker (this is huge so subtle yet so huge to my immersion with the game)

Animations vastly improved

CPU AI at the plate - chasing pitches, etc HUGE.

So many little things built upon a solid foundation. There is a reason this game has such a dedicated, die hard following. The developers understand they have a great engine and have just been adding, enhancing and improving.

If it is not broken....do not fix it.

It's the best sports game on the market with the most accessible team I have ever seen.

The noise will pass, the firestorm of release will come and go. And those of us who love this game will continue to hang out, share stories, share settings, make rosters and keep The Show's spirit as the best baseball game ever made, alive and well.

25 days people!!!

# 74 Goose158 @ 03/05/15 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
They already explained it in one of the streams. Their head files are very large and can't be added during a roster update. Facial scans for the game are always done in Spring Training the previous year.

Thanks for explaining the reason. I haven't had the oppurtunity to watch the stream yet. Was just scrolling through the details. I have to say though kinda misleading, not that it's a huge deal, but I got excited there for a minute.

# 75 bigwill33 @ 03/05/15 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15

And they don't like having those scans on the disc for legal reasons.

Never know what can be accessed and then you are using someone's face without the rights to do so and BAM... lawsuit.

# 76 p00p1 @ 03/05/15 04:01 PM
Couple of things bugged me.
1. Lincecum doesn't throw a regular change up, he throws a split finger. The guy is a giants fan, he should know that. They had that wrong last year too.
2. Stats still seem screwed up, looks like there is no way to see year to year player stats other than AB/HR/RBI/AVG or W/L/K/ERA... no sport revolves around stat comparison/evaluation more than baseball, how is this not a priority???

# 77 ajblithe20 @ 03/05/15 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
Couple of things bugged me.
1. Lincecum doesn't throw a regular change up, he throws a split finger. The guy is a giants fan, he should know that. They had that wrong last year too.
2. Stats still seem screwed up, looks like there is no way to see year to year player stats other than AB/HR/RBI/AVG or W/L/K/ERA... no sport revolves around stat comparison/evaluation more than baseball, how is this not a priority???
I believe they get their pitch data from fangraphs. The last time I checked some pitchers, The Show's pitch select for them matched up exactly with fangraphs pitch type data. On fangraphs, it says Lincecum throws a regular change up..

# 78 Dynasty Legend 99 @ 03/06/15 11:56 AM
Words can't express how excited I am for another year of the show. Last year in MLB 14 the Show was the first time I had every played through an entire MLB season in the show. I did so with the Houston Astros, and finished as the runner up in the world series, so I have alot of great memories from the show last year. I am excited to have another year of baseball to play.

# 79 actionhank @ 03/06/15 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty Legend 99
Words can't express how excited I am for another year of the show. Last year in MLB 14 the Show was the first time I had every played through an entire MLB season in the show. I did so with the Houston Astros, and finished as the runner up in the world series, so I have alot of great memories from the show last year. I am excited to have another year of baseball to play.
I'm trying not to charge a PS4 right now for it. I've been playing a ton of MLB13 the show (Sorry, certification studies...you're not just as fun...) and I've been loving it. EA's NHL series looked to be pretty bad this year, so i skipped that, and got my old PS3 back up and running.

What i love most about the show is that besides being able to make someone that looks (a little bit) like myself to be my player, I can download custom rosters and slider settings. I don't have to manually adjust tons of sliders myself, I can read up on one i like, and download it, to go with my newly patched roster that someone who follows baseball more closely than I do was able to make.

It's a great system inside of an already great game. I love the variety too. Some nights I can't hit a single thing to a spot where the other team isn't. Other nights their pitchers can't seem to not throw it into my wheelhouse (I somehow managed a 3 homer game with Khris Davis the other night.) and it was a blast. But, other nights I'm worrying about wearing through my bullpen because my starter gets lit up in the first two.
I love the The Show makes me feel like an actual manager, because i have to worry about the same things they do. Do i risk leaving the guy in who just can't seem to find the strike zone, or do i go to the bullpen that got worn out the night before?
The strategy of it all is great.

# 80 RyanLaFalce @ 03/07/15 08:42 AM
Sad that newly scanned faces can't be patched in.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.