Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour has gotten a bit of flak the past couple of weeks for its light (initial) offering of licensed golfers and courses. Of course, many aren't entirely happy with the game to begin with, as the marketing began with a battleship crashing onto the screen back at E3 in 2014.

The marketing for the game, thus far, has been weird and very light compared to other EA Sports offerings. Very few modes have been broken down in depth, and it seems like much of what the game is offering is less than what we had a generation ago. This is not a surprise, but the perception the game is creating, heavily promoting arcade golfing elements, hasn't helped perception that Rory is a stark new direction for EA's golfing franchise.

The reality is that the core golf game, from what we've seen and have been told, seems to be in good shape. Courses will play how they are supposed to on a regional basis, and the open courses will allow for a more realistic experience. And despite the limited number of initial courses, with content updates promised, it's likely the game will see its course offerings rise pretty quickly post release.

It seems that Rory will be a sim, and something else entirely all in the same package. We'll surely know more when we get our hands on the full version later this week.
Do you think these competing interests of trying to market to a more casual audience while maintaining sim elements are compatible? Are you planning on getting Rory McIlroy PGA Tour when it drops next week?

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jbd345 @ 07/07/15 07:13 PM
I've seen 58's and 57's on TGC many times. No matter how sim it is, there will be players shooting 10-20 under par I just think we have to accept that. I don't don't shoot that low myself, but there will always be those players who shoot that low whether legit or not.

# 22 Danimal @ 07/07/15 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I didn't. I played straight simulation mode and low 60's were rare as I played Live Tournaments every day fo several months.
Not how I remember it so we'll agree to disagree. Regardless it has nothing to do with how RM will play. I have the game pre-ordered but I would really like to see something on the harder difficulty modes instead of reading into their taglines.

Guess we will know in a week.

# 23 DivotMaker @ 07/07/15 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Not how I remember it so we'll agree to disagree. Regardless it has nothing to do with how RM will play. I have the game pre-ordered but I would really like to see something on the harder difficulty modes instead of reading into their taglines.

Guess we will know in a week.
I played almost 1000 rounds in just over a year's time in TW14. How many did you play? Golf games are pretty much all I play, so I don't forget easily. I'll agree to disagree as well.

Justin Patel told me that his live stream Thursday on Xbox and Monday on PS4 will include TOUR gameplay. Even then, without playing it, you can't really judge it properly.

As far as this whole "simulation" discussion, everyone has their own definition of what "simulation" entails, so to reach an agreement on something so subjective, you simply can't. That said, if the game is challenging to the right users for the right reasons, then it should be successful and grow with its users.....

# 24 sroz39 @ 07/07/15 10:04 PM
Everything I've seen of the game, arcade or sim (aside from the Night Club stuff) has me pretty excited. I'm going to play on Pro settings regardless but to see, even on the casual settings, the improvement in ball physics and the absolutely stunning visuals, I'm absolutely jacked up as we near release.

But then again, I'm a golf nut. I even enjoyed all the fantasy/fictional courses of years past aside from The Predator, as a nice switch up from time to time. Especially when playing with some friends.

This game looks like it won't disappoint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

# 25 mykull85 @ 07/07/15 10:41 PM
I can't say I'm too bummed about the low amount of licensed golfers because I usually end up playing with my created guy. I think the amount of courses does matter though which is why I welcome the arcade mode. It should help to flesh out the game and give us more courses to play.

# 26 Danimal @ 07/07/15 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I played almost 1000 rounds in just over a year's time in TW14. How many did you play?
I'm sure not even half that many, holy crap that's a lot of video golf. If you say the scores weren't that low I'll believe you.

Anyway really don't want to engage on this trend any longer as it serves no purpose. I just want the game to be challenging without hampering my information on the course. For a game that is so close I really have no clue how it will play.

# 27 OnlookerDelay @ 07/08/15 12:11 PM
I wish I was in a position to offer a better assessment of Tiger 14’s difficulty, but I must admit I didn’t play it enough to give a qualified opinion. The Simulation difficulty level was tough to master for sure, but not for reasons that I could fully associate with the action being modeled (swinging a golf club) with the thumbstick. The relatively extreme degree of axis tilt you had to execute with the stick to, in effect, hit the ball straight didn’t jive with my senses. It just felt a bit contrived to me. I also didn’t like having to hold the right stick on a disappearing “strike point” mark on the ball… that again felt contrived to me, as I had no analog to it in my real golf swing process.

Tiger 14 was also the last straw for my tolerance of follow cam. I’ve never been a fan of follow cam, but Tiger 14’s follow cam was the most poorly executed one I’d ever seen. I disliked it so much that I’m not sure I could have played the game long, even if it had an interface that felt “naturally” difficult. There was another presentation option in Tiger 14 that I think was called “Broadcast”” cam, but it was horrifically bad.

Tiger 10’s interface proved to me that a diagonal swing wasn’t necessary to introduce a difficultly into the swing interface that felt natural. Using the Club Tuner tool that was part of the game, I could dial my club sweetspots down into the teens and wind up with a swing that felt proportionally difficult to master for reasons that jelled with my senses. I’m hoping RMPGAT has some components of this, along with a tempo variable that factors into the shot result, in Tour Pro difficulty level. This something that no video, or hands-on preview will strive to answer, so I guess I’ll find out for myself tomorrow!

# 28 pietasterp @ 07/08/15 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I wish I was in a position to offer a better assessment of Tiger 14’s difficulty, but I must admit I didn’t play it enough to give a qualified opinion. The Simulation difficulty level was tough to master for sure, but not for reasons that I could fully associate with the action being modeled (swinging a golf club) with the thumbstick. The relatively extreme degree of axis tilt you had to execute with the stick to, in effect, hit the ball straight didn’t jive with my senses. It just felt a bit contrived to me. I also didn’t like having to hold the right stick on a disappearing “strike point” mark on the ball… that again felt contrived to me, as I had no analog to it in my real golf swing process.

Tiger 14 was also the last straw for my tolerance of follow cam. I’ve never been a fan of follow cam, but Tiger 14’s follow cam was the most poorly executed one I’d ever seen. I disliked it so much that I’m not sure I could have played the game long, even if it had an interface that felt “naturally” difficult. There was another presentation option in Tiger 14 that I think was called “Broadcast”” cam, but it was horrifically bad.

Tiger 10’s interface proved to me that a diagonal swing wasn’t necessary to introduce a difficultly into the swing interface that felt natural. Using the Club Tuner tool that was part of the game, I could dial my club sweetspots down into the teens and wind up with a swing that felt proportionally difficult to master for reasons that jelled with my senses. I’m hoping RMPGAT has some components of this, along with a tempo variable that factors into the shot result, in Tour Pro difficulty level. This something that no video, or hands-on preview will strive to answer, so I guess I’ll find out for myself tomorrow!
Looking forward to your initial impressions; we seem to have similar sensibilities re: golf games.

I always thought there must be a better way to make a golf swing challenging and interesting (and fun!) on a 2-thumbstick model. Maybe the right thumbstick would be a circular motion (clockwise for backswing, counter-clockwise for downswing) and then the left stick would have to be moved straight up at the moment of impact for a straight shot, curved left for a draw/hook, etc....you can imagine how that might go. Maybe that wouldn't be fun, I dunno, but something other than down-then-up...honestly, to me, that's no different than 3-click. But then, I like 3-click....

# 29 simgameonly @ 07/09/15 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay

Interesting I loved the diagonal swing and disappearing cursor,I did not really care how the developers got there, I only cared that I really had to grind to shoot a good score, I am a pure sim head though, already sounds like RmPga will be easy at the hardest level just like I feared

# 30 Mfb1262 @ 07/23/15 04:20 PM
I want my TW games back this new version is 10 years behind where TW was only the graphics have improved. If you like golf buy the golf club if you like rabbits and bugs on your screen then buy this game. A big disappointment and way too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.