Home
NHL 16 News Post

EA Sports just hosted a live stream on Twitch, showing off some gameplay and answering a few questions about the NHL 16 EASHL Beta, which will be available Thursday, July 30 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One users.

The broadcast is now over and has been archived here.

If you don't want to spend an hour watching the whole thing, here is an overview of what was discussed:

Notes
  • EA has advised fans to not stay up past midnight, since the Beta download link is likely to go live Thursday morning or afternoon, whenever Sony and Microsoft update their respective marketplaces.

• Each player class will have its own default height and weight that cannot be changed. This should help make the gameplay more realistic, and will prevent people from exploiting the height/weight system by gaining extra speed for a power forward or additional toughness for a sniper.

• Any player class can accept a fight, though the more physical classes (grinder, tough guy, defensive defenseman) will have more stamina and more powerful punches.

• The "playoff beards" feature will work during the EASHL's monthly playoffs. Created players' beards will become thicker as your team progresses from the opening game to the final game. The playoff tournament is four games long.

• The positional indicator colors are back to the old system of red for center, dark blue for right wing, green for left wing, light blue for left defense, yellow for right defense, and purple for goalie.

• NHL 16's menu music will once again be an original orchestral score. The licensed soundtrack will only play inside the arenas.

• EA has fixed a bug that prevented players from aiming five hole in previous NHL games.

• YouTube users are allowed to upload Beta footage.

• The Beta will only let EASHL teams choose from the official NHL jerseys of this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs semifinalists. The final version of NHL 16 will let EASHL clubs pick from any jersey that's available in the game. You cannot create custom jerseys.

• Fans will leave the arena early if the home team falls behind by a large margin.

• Celebration animations are still limited to two-person interactions in NHL 16. Five-man celebrations are being considered for future versions of NHL.

• Three-on-three overtime will not be immediately available in the EASHL, but EA is looking to add it sometime after NHL 16's release.

• Each EASHL team is currently given three pauses per game, but EA will be monitoring this situation in the Beta to see if it's worth changing for NHL 16's final release.

• EASHL teams cannot practice. The only way to play with your club is by starting a full, normal game.

• In the Beta, all EASHL player classes will have the same skating attributes. Keep in mind, however, that height and weight also affect skating ability. Fan feedback will be used to determine whether or not this system should remain in the final version of NHL 16.

• There will be a post-Beta survey where fans can give EA direct feedback. The developers will also be checking EA's official forums every day.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 AdamJones113 @ 07/29/15 04:26 PM
"Just restin'"

"Pinin' for the fjords!"

# 22 adayinthelife @ 07/29/15 04:26 PM
Didn't we do this last year too? I seem to remember a stream not working, and then being pushed back to release week or something.

I get that they can't control Xbox Live, but why not have something ready to go as a backup plan?

# 23 bigwill33 @ 07/29/15 04:27 PM
Well... NAILED IT! Reserve your copies now!

I kid. Lmao, that sucked. My xbox is working fine, been watching baseball on it all day. But that stuff happens, I suppose. Just seems like the luck NHL fans have with this series anymore, though. Hopefully they get it figured out and we get to see what is up. If not, we hopefully have the beta tomorrow.

It was like being a small child and watching your parents trying to build a toy for you and it just isn't going well, when all you want to do is enjoy it.

# 24 AdamJones113 @ 07/29/15 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Didn't we do this last year too? I seem to remember a stream not working, and then being pushed back to release week or something.

I get that they can't control Xbox Live, but why not have something ready to go as a backup plan?
They had a stream pushed back to release day.

# 25 Turbojugend @ 07/29/15 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
"Just restin'"

"Pinin' for the fjords!"
"This... is an EX-BETA!"

# 26 adayinthelife @ 07/29/15 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
They had a stream pushed back to release day.
Right. Which was asinine, and one would think they would've learned from that and had something in place as a back up plan.

Show us an offline game/period/whatever they deem to be roughly on par with what we would've seen today with this.

# 27 bcruise @ 07/29/15 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Anyone keeping up with the comments? Man, if these are the same trolls who actually play the game I'll be happy to stay offline.
Consider yourselves lucky that a large part of Twitch's viewership is watching a speedrunning charity marathon at the moment - otherwise there would be so many more trolls in chat for this.

# 28 bigwill33 @ 07/29/15 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Right. Which was asinine, and one would think they would've learned from that and had something in place as a back up plan.

Show us an offline game/period/whatever they deem to be roughly on par with what we would've seen today with this.
Yeah, they weren't very prepared. There were a lot of questions up in the air they could have addressed, at least. Or, they could have played something else from the game. Perhaps show us something offline.

Instead they sat in silence most of the 25 minutes and looked like GW Bush when the planes hit the towers on 9/11. :/

# 29 Steve_OS @ 07/29/15 04:37 PM

# 30 bigwill33 @ 07/29/15 04:44 PM
I missed the first period. Heard the stream playing from my computer from the other room and had to come back in.

# 31 adayinthelife @ 07/29/15 04:56 PM
Finally. Some very quick things:

+ Liking some of the new pass reception animations.
+ Game does at least appear to possibly be tighter all around, and at least a little bit more detailed visually as well.

- Not seeing the new strafing stuff from that video a couple weeks ago?
- These guys are a cluster****, gameplay wise. 5 blue guys chasing the puck around everywhere all the time - though I suppose YMMV when playing EASHL either way
- Neon stuff everywhere is distracting, though again, EASHL.

# 32 csamuelsvt @ 07/29/15 04:58 PM
SAME. EXACT. COMMENTARY.

I don't get it.

# 33 Drakar @ 07/29/15 04:59 PM
It's like watching a group of 5 years old playing soccer. (The Swarm)

# 34 Turbojugend @ 07/29/15 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
SAME. EXACT. COMMENTARY.

I don't get it.
I have the sound turned down at work, but that is disappointing to hear. Guess we're in for another year of:

"WAFFLEBOARDED!"
"WRISTER!"
"LOOKY LOOKY HERE."

# 35 csamuelsvt @ 07/29/15 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
I have the sound turned down at work, but that is disappointing to hear. Guess we're in for another year of:

"WAFFLEBOARDED!"
"WRISTER!"
"LOOKY LOOKY HERE."
I'm a huge devils fan and love Doc. I'm used to his style.

The goal calls they said they worked on them....every goal scored was the same exact ones we've heard in NHL 15. UGH

Well least they answered my question on the chat. Goal calls will be better...seems tied to players too and more emotion for OT goals and stanley cup winners etc

# 36 Caniac94 @ 07/29/15 05:14 PM
Yeah I'm not hearing anything new regarding commentary. I thought they said they added some new lines but I am hearing the same exact lines that were in last year.

# 37 Turbojugend @ 07/29/15 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
I'm a huge devils fan and love Doc. I'm used to his style.
For me the problem isn't Doc's style, it's the sparse amount of dialogue options when it comes to commentary. There isn't one game of NHL 15 that doesn't sound exactly the same as all the others commentary-wise. Compare that to FIFA 15, which I've been playing since Day One and am still hearing new phrases every now and then.

Having said that, I do realize last year was the first for Doc and Eddie. I'm just hoping for slightly more variety so that every game doesn't sound exactly the same.

# 38 Drakar @ 07/29/15 05:16 PM
I really does feel like EASNHL since Yellow (RD) has no idea how to play his position and think he is a forward. Just like online

# 39 AdamJones113 @ 07/29/15 05:16 PM
Guys, remember that this is EASHL. Doc's lines have to be more vague and bland since he can't specify teams/players.

I'm sure they've added more lines, give it some time.

# 40 bigwill33 @ 07/29/15 05:18 PM
A few quick thoughts, in no particular order:

Game seems to be tighter, with the movements of the players and the pucks.

Positives:

+Hitting is way toned down. Looking like only certain builds can really knock people over at will.

+No more people laying all over the ice from collisions

+bank passes were back, somewhat

+passes were picked off when they should be

+poke check worked to get the puck off of the d-man at the point

Negatives:

-face-offs were a mess. At least 3 times in one period the puck was won back on an offensive zone draw and flew the whole way back to the defensive zone.

-Passing in the offensive zone was non-existant. It is just skate around the perimeter and blindly throw that pass into the slot again.

-puck physics are bad again. Tons of rolling pucks on end for icings. It is hard to get a puck to roll like that for that long in real life. No pucks out of play off of shot deflections, again.

-Someone missed a one-timer from the bottom left circle and the puck bounced off of his stick, in the air, and went all the way back to his own goalie.

-Computer player skated unrealistically, again. Turning away in a way that is impossible to skate, with no momentum, from attacking players when it was protecting the puck. Humans couldn't get the puck off of it.

-Computer easily ran down a small forward that should have been on a breakaway. Overcame him and just took the puck off of him.

-Computer player puts the puck in its own net with nobody around it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.