Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Just announced at the PlayStation Experience, Josh Donaldson is the cover athlete for MLB 16 The Show. Will get trailer up in a bit. The game arrives on March 29, for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 (No Vita).

UPDATE: Here is the MLB 16 The Show trailer.

MLB The Show 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB The Show 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 241 Factzzz @ 12/15/15 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I would like to point out two things and then I'll let those these ideas go against, bash me and criticize me for "defending the game"

1) They have less than a year to make each new game. Everything takes time and resources. The idea is to build upon themselves year after year and do things right.

2) Changing the player models isn't as simple as changing the player models. Changing the player models requires them to then recapture every single batting animation, pitching animation, and overall gameplay animation.

Sorry for the interruption, I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

1) The same thing every major sports game has to deal with, nothing new here, same things they've dealt with for the past 10 years.

2) Something that needs to be done regardless of how difficult it may seem. Other games have done it, NBA 2k14 did it, first year on next gen.

If you want to say The Show just isn't up to par with other sports games in these areas, that's one thing, but don't try to make excuses for them.

# 242 jvalverde88 @ 12/15/15 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaker14
Are these in?
I highly doubt it.

# 243 tnixen @ 12/15/15 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
1) The same thing every major sports game has to deal with, nothing new here, same things they've dealt with for the past 10 years.

2) Something that needs to be done regardless of how difficult it may seem. Other games have done it, NBA 2k14 did it, first year on next gen.

If you want to say The Show just isn't up to par with other sports games in these areas, that's one thing, but don't try to make excuses for them.
Remember though to be fear the NBA2K team is way bigger from what I have heard. So they can get the things that need to be done much quicker.

Like so many of us here there are so many features, improvements and bug fixes that we want in the game RIGHT NOW not next year or the year after that. But I have finally realized I need to be patient. Sony is the only game company even making a MLB game so I am grateful to them that we get a brand new version every year. Each new version of MLB The Show is better then the one before adding some very nice improvements with each version. I will always keep asking for the features and improvements I want the most even if it takes years and years to finally get them included. I mean what other options are there as far as baseball gaming is concerned? Luckily at least for me anyway I think MLB 15 The Show is a fantastic game already and as each of my most wanted features and improvements get added to the game the happier I will be

# 244 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/15 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
Remember though to be fear the NBA2K team is way bigger from what I have heard. So they can get the things that need to be done much quicker.
Our team is 75 people there's is around 160 last I heard.

# 245 vidgames @ 12/15/15 07:42 PM
Sounds like they may need to prioritize better then.

# 246 tnixen @ 12/15/15 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Our team is 75 people there's is around 160 I last I heard.
So more then double the size well that definitely explains things.

Thanks for the info.

# 247 Artman22 @ 12/15/15 07:46 PM
Quote:
I would like to point out two things and then I'll let those these ideas go against, bash me and criticize me for "defending the game"

1) They have less than a year to make each new game. Everything takes time and resources. The idea is to build upon themselves year after year and do things right.

2) Changing the player models isn't as simple as changing the player models. Changing the player models requires them to then recapture every single batting animation, pitching animation, and overall gameplay animation.

Sorry for the interruption, I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

I hear what you're saying, but all other sports titles have made a significant graphical jump on next gen consoles. If not the 1st year like NBA2k than the 2nd like madden and the rest. This game is also a PS exclusive so it should look a lot better than what we have now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 248 tnixen @ 12/15/15 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22
I hear what you're saying, but all other sports titles have made a significant graphical jump on next gen consoles. If not the 1st year like NBA2k than the 2nd like madden and the rest. This game is also a PS exclusive so it should look a lot better than what we have now..

Did you see Russell_SCEA comments above?

For a team of only 75 I think it is amazing that they can put out such a great baseball game every year.

# 249 Factzzz @ 12/15/15 08:05 PM
Quote:

Like so many of us here there are so many features, improvements and bug fixes that we want in the game RIGHT NOW not next year or the year after that. But I have finally realized I need to be patient. Sony is the only game company even making a MLB game so I am grateful to them that we get a brand new version every year. Each new version of MLB The Show is better then the one before adding some very nice improvements with each version. I will always keep asking for the features and improvements I want the most even if it takes years and years to finally get them included. I mean what other options are there as far as baseball gaming is concerned? Luckily at least for me anyway I think MLB 15 The Show is a fantastic game already and as each of my most wanted features and improvements get added to the game the happier I will be
I feel like you can only be patient for so long though, it's gonna be like 7 years or something with basically the same player models, and 3 years now on next gen, i was expecting new player models first year next gen, but then i realized, maybe i should practise some patience and hopefully within the next couple years it'll happen, but still nothing. Ultimately, i'm just going to have to keep practising patience anyways because there's nothing i can do, except post on this message board and hope the SCEA team sees the outcry for new player models and feel inclined to do something drastic about it.

I definitely agree with the part about MLB the show being fantastic, regardless of all the negative sounding posts I make about this game, it's by far my favourite game and the only game i play literally year round, 12 months. Which is why it's starting to disappoint me that not enough meaningful improvements are being made, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Our team is 75 people there's is around 160 I last I heard.
I understand this, but it just baffles me that basically everyone would agree that the Show had the best graphics on ps3 regardless of team size. But now on next gen, the graphics are arguably the worst (arguably). What changed? It didn't seem like the size of SCEA team was hindering any developmental performance and game improvements previous gen.

# 250 Artman22 @ 12/15/15 08:09 PM
Quote:
Did you see Russell_SCEA comments above?

For a team of only 75 I think it is amazing that they can put out such a great baseball game every year.

Ok... so in other words be happy with what you get. I don't deny that it's a great game, I buy it every year. I think on the PS3 this game was easily the best looking sports games and by year 3 I thought it was going to be a big jump again on the ps4. This game at times still looks similar to the PS3 version.

# 251 seanjeezy @ 12/15/15 08:34 PM
I think the time to make a significant change was the beginning of the gen, which is what 2K did but IIRC 2K14 was pretty barebones feature-wise compared to MLB 14 (I believe all the modes on PS3 were included in PS4). I remember we had some discussions on whether it was worth it to keep supporting the PS3 version, and after keeping up with NPD results since the gen started, at this point I think it is safe to assume that the PS3 has been on life support in the US (this game's primary market) since the PS4 came out. So was it the right idea to continue to support the PS3 version of the game past year 1, if it all? I personally have no idea since I don't have access to the financials or if it was possibly mandated by SCE. Would be interesting to find out for sure, I had a feeling the PS3 wouldn't have legs but not to this extent.

# 252 countryboy @ 12/15/15 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz

Not making any excuses, just pointing out facts.

Look, I'm all for upgrading player models and whatever else can make the game better. The difference between myself and some others is that I don't go around claiming the dev team is lazy, stupid, lacks passion, needs to prioritize better, etc....etc....

I understand that this team has limitations based on a number of factors, most notably being they are half the size of most, if not all, other sports titles.

# 253 seanjeezy @ 12/15/15 10:19 PM
Quote:
Not making any excuses, just pointing out facts.

Look, I'm all for upgrading player models and whatever else can make the game better. The difference between myself and some others is that I don't go around claiming the dev team is lazy, stupid, lacks passion, needs to prioritize better, etc....etc....

I understand that this team has limitations based on a number of factors, most notably being they are half the size of most, if not all, other sports titles.
I think the people making such comments don't fully understand how hard it is to release an AAA quality game on an annual basis. Look at other annual AAA titles and you see that have either a) massive development teams or b) alternate studios every other year. Two notable examples of the latter are COD and Assassin's Creed.

I remember seeing a pic of polyphony's (gran turismo) office and there were matresses under the desks, and those of us who play GT know how often those games come out. These guys must really love their jobs if they are willing to stay the night at the office enough to have a mattresses there.

# 254 Money99 @ 12/16/15 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I think the people making such comments don't fully understand how hard it is to release an AAA quality game on an annual basis. Look at other annual AAA titles and you see that have either a) massive development teams or b) alternate studios every other year. Two notable examples of the latter are COD and Assassin's Creed.

I remember seeing a pic of polyphony's (gran turismo) office and there were matresses under the desks, and those of us who play GT know how often those games come out. These guys must really love their jobs if they are willing to stay the night at the office enough to have a mattresses there.
This is why I wish the sports gaming industry would stop releasing games annually.
With the exception of a few games with huge budgets and large development teams, the majority of them simply don't have enough time to provide a worthy and noticeable upgrade on a year to year basis.

I hear Konami is considering going the digital route with PES where you pay for annual roster updates, patches, etc, and then every 2 or 3 years, they release a new fully fleshed out game.

I'd be all for that.
Obviously the model has to be such that their annual profits aren't lost. And I'd be naive to believe this isn't the sole reason it's not occurring now.
But I wonder if there isn't a model that can be implemented where profits remain in tact while also providing a meaningful, noticeable release every 2 or 3 years.

# 255 redsox4evur @ 12/16/15 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
This is why I wish the sports gaming industry would stop releasing games annually.
With the exception of a few games with huge budgets and large development teams, the majority of them simply don't have enough time to provide a worthy and noticeable upgrade on a year to year basis.

I hear Konami is considering going the digital route with PES where you pay for annual roster updates, patches, etc, and then every 2 or 3 years, they release a new fully fleshed out game.

I'd be all for that.
Obviously the model has to be such that their annual profits aren't lost. And I'd be naive to believe this isn't the sole reason it's not occurring now.
But I wonder if there isn't a model that can be implemented where profits remain in tact while also providing a meaningful, noticeable release every 2 or 3 years.
Konami is a different story because they are going out of business, IIRC. Also this needs to be brought up every time when this discussion comes up. The League more likely than not has in their contract they want a game made every year. I'm going to rough base guess to provide an example for you. The Show sells 5 millions copies at $60 per game. Comes out to a gross revenue of $300 million. Now let's say the league and player's association takes 10% of that $300 million, so $30 million. Now they go to a biannual release. 2nd year content sells for $10 bucks, and I will say every person who buys the game buys the new (even though that probably would not happen IRL). Sony makes $50 million in gross revenue. Why does Sony do this when they can sell a brand new copy of the game for $60 and make $300 million.

I get why the consumers want it because it SHOULD lead to better games coming out. But I can't wrap my head around a company leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table to sell a new game every 2 years.

# 256 tnixen @ 12/16/15 11:54 AM
Quote:

I'd be all for that.
No way would I want to wait 2 or 3 years to get a "major" new version of MLB The Show! You really would be ok with just getting roster updates and patches for the next 2 or god for bid 3 years without any major new features added like the rumored Opened and Closed Roofs option for example? I would get bored so quick if I had to play the same exact baseball game with no major additions for 2 years let alone 3.

Most of us here really look forward to this time of year because we know that it's almost time to see what new exciting features will be coming in the next version of the game

Please Sony don't ever think of doing that!!!

# 257 Turbojugend @ 12/16/15 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
The League more likely than not has in their contract they want a game made every year.
Exactly, which is why MLB 2K13 (an argument against competition producing better games if I ever heard one) turned out to be a clone of 2K12, only with updated rosters and the Astros switch. 2K was obligated to produce an annual baseball game for MLB, apparently it didn't state anywhere how much effort they'd have to put into it.

For the existing release model to change, the leagues have to be onboard as well. And they are not necessarily concerned with producing a better video game as they are their own bottom line.

# 258 Money99 @ 12/16/15 12:58 PM
Quote:
No way would I want to wait 2 or or 3 years to get a "major" new version of MLB The Show! You really would be ok with just getting roster updates and patches for the next 2 or god for bid 3 years without any major new features added like the rumored Opened and Closed Roofs option for example? I would get bored so quick if I had to play the same exact baseball game with no major additions for 2 years let alone 3.

Most of us here really look forward to this time of year because we know that it's almost time to see what new exciting features will be coming in the next version of the game

Please Sony don't ever think of doing that!!!
If you look at it subjectively, that's pretty much what we're getting now.
Roster updates, tweaks to gameplay and a few extra lines of commentary (Not just referring to The Show, but most sports games).

I didn't buy The Show after '12. When I popped in '15, it felt like the same game.

Quote:
Exactly, which is why MLB 2K13 (an argument against competition producing better games if I ever heard one) turned out to be a clone of 2K12, only with updated rosters and the Astros switch. 2K was obligated to produce an annual baseball game for MLB, apparently it didn't state anywhere how much effort they'd have to put into it.

For the existing release model to change, the leagues have to be onboard as well. And they are not necessarily concerned with producing a better video game as they are their own bottom line.
This is factually incorrect.
2K had no intentions of making MLB2K13. It was MLB that came to them and basically begged them to make a 2K13 just so the Xbox wasn't devoid of a real baseball game.
So they obliged them and put in minimal efforts towards it.

# 259 ryanmc564 @ 12/16/15 02:05 PM
2k baseball game were a head scratcher. in a sense they did do some things right in the beginning last gen, 2k7 and 2k8 being the best of them but then they seemed to go backwards in quality. i'll give 2k credit on gesture pitching, analog hitting, jersey animations (and player models the first couple of years, then The Show put them to shame) collisions and above all else stat tracking, 2k had so many stats I didn't even know what to do with. But while 2k regressed down the line, The Show has always improved every year with the occasional step backwards on some things (but on only minor issues). While I do wish that The Show do stuff differently in the graphics department, they still crank out a quality baseball game year after year that does improve upon itself every year.

# 260 ajblithe20 @ 12/20/15 10:47 AM
Quote:
I didn't buy The Show after '12. When I popped in '15, it felt like the same game.
If you mean it's still a baseball game, then yes. There have been so many changes to the game in those 3 years I have no idea how saying that can make any sense to you.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.