Home
EA Sports UFC 2 News Post

Geoff Harrower, A.K.A. GameplayDevUFC, has been posting quite a few details on the upcoming EA Sports UFC 2 patch on his Twitter page. While no date for the patch has been revealed, he has posted quite a few nuggets. Check out some of them below and let us know what you think!
  • Punches in single collar clinch will no longer interrupt transitions
  • Increased counter window after denied clinch attempt
  • Added counter damage bonus after denied clinch attempt
  • Reduced the damage of Thai knees slightly
  • Fixed bug so you can now deny a clinch attempt during the follow through of your strike
  • Added new logic to control when different strike types can interrupt a takedown
  • Fixed bug that made takedowns in some clinch positions too easy, and others too hard
  • Added new grapple momentum scenarios to a few ground and clinch transitions
  • Gave fighters who have the sitout sweep in sprawl the option to also perform the half guard escape
  • Tuned the submissive fighter's escape from back mount to half guard to be a bit more difficult
  • Changed the inputs for submission reversals on the ground to be L2+R2 to fix exploits and enforce pre-emptive denial penalty
  • Punish the defender in a submission for defending a chain before it appears by taking away some defensive progress
  • Pushing in the wrong direction to deny submission chain blocks the defending fighter from pushing in the correct direction
  • AI will now use submission reversals
  • Some fighter AI's tuned to use submissions and takedowns more or less as appropriate to their real life counterparts
  • Blocking and stamina management improvements for pro AI
This post will get updated as more details are revealed.

Game: EA Sports UFC 2Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
EA Sports UFC 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Boiler569 @ 05/31/16 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norml
Looks like I might have to go back and pick up a used copy of UFC 2. Can't wait to here what was changed.
yes this is good news, standing TDs need some help one way or another, should be interesting

# 162 Lake the striker @ 05/31/16 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
I don't know what a tiger team is, so I can't compare.

It was a big deal, and it was incredibly helpful.

But they don't dictate anything, we are using them as a tool to better the game.

It's something we have at our disposal that we try and leverage to the maximum effect.

It's not something imposed on us that we are forced to react to verbatim.

I'll look into getting a reversal list together.
Since you're a gameplay dev would it be possible for you to give us some more info about the striking system in this game?

e.g.

Is there a strike priority in this game? If there is, how is it determined?

I’ve noticed during training that interrupting attacks can cause stuns, not only that but the interruption leniency (the start up frames interruption can occur in) increases as the strength of the strike increases, could you shed some more light on this mechanic?

Does distance from your opponent, positioning and where the strike lands matter?

I've heard momentum plays a big part in determining strike damage, could you please explain how exactly?

What causes stuns (not staggers) exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Hmmm....this is an interesting perspective. From a corporate perspective, why do your dollars matter more?

Casual fans and hardcore fans both spent $60 on this game. I'm sure just as many casual fans spend money on things like UT just like hardcore fans (if not more).

The point is to grow the game. So if hardcore fans are more likely to adjust and tolerate a MMA game because they love MMA, why would I target my game strictly to them. If I want to grow the playing base, I will focus on finding a middle ground that will appeal to casual fans but not totally alienate the hardcore set. That middle ground is hard to find and I've only played 1 MMA game that did that well (UD 3) and it took THQ 3 attempts to get there.

As for the "speculation" that hardcore fans arent posting, I dont agree. Have you read this board? 70-80% of the content here is people complaining about an aspect of the game. Whether its striking, ratings, movesets or a missing feature, people here consistently complain about the game. And thats fine as long as its constructive.

Now there are probably 100 people who come to this board regularly and post. Are we to assume they represent the majority of people who own the game? Are we to assume that there are hundreds of people who love the game and visit the board but never post?
Why do you guys assume casual players who bought EA UFC 2 are drawn to its arcade aspects? If an arcade game is what they wanted then they would not buy EA UFC 2, since there are better, cheaper and more popular purely dedicated arcade fighters out there that can cater to their arcade wants much more effectively.

There are several arcade fighters out there that EA UFC 2 simply cannot compete against like Street Fighter, Tekken, MKX e.t.c. so I doubt it's the arcade aspects of EA UFC 2 that draws casuals in, instead I think its the games likeness to real life UFC that draws them in, the likeness visually and the “true to life” aspects of game play. They are drawn to its realism .i.e. its sim aspects.

I think you're fighting a wastefull battle by trying to make this game appeal to both the sim and arcade players. On one hand I doubt the causals playing this game care for its arcade aspects infact I think they bought it for its realism, on the other, the harcore players of this game are getting more and more annoyed because of its arcade aspects. Overall you guys think you're appealing to both sides of the fence but you're doing more damage than good in my opinion.

# 163 jamesbenz21 @ 05/31/16 11:51 AM
People complaining about take downs not working correctly, i suggest adding a little movement and swaying to your takedowns. I get most of my takedowns.. Only problem is when I miss, I lose most of my stamina and get choked out from sprawl

# 164 norml @ 05/31/16 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenz21
People complaining about take downs not working correctly, i suggest adding a little movement and swaying to your takedowns. I get most of my takedowns.. Only problem is when I miss, I lose most of my stamina and get choked out from sprawl
It's not that they don't work correctly per say, it's that it's way to easy to deny them from bad situations (like still standing on one leg after a missed kick or with 0 stamina).

The biggest problem is that any and all strikes can interupt a TD.

Funny about getting choked from sprawl, for some reason that is where I have the most trouble denying Sub attempts.

# 165 WarMMA @ 05/31/16 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake the striker
Since you're a gameplay dev would it be possible for you to give us some more info about the striking system in this game?

e.g.

Is there a strike priority in this game? If there is, how is it determined?

I’ve noticed during training that interrupting attacks can cause stuns, not only that but the interruption leniency (the start up frames interruption can occur in) increases as the strength of the strike increases, could you shed some more light on this mechanic?

Does distance from your opponent, positioning and where the strike lands matter?

I've heard momentum plays a big part in determining strike damage, could you please explain how exactly?

What causes stuns (not staggers) exactly?

Why do you guys assume casual players who bought EA UFC 2 are drawn to its arcade aspects? If an arcade game is what they wanted then they would not buy EA UFC 2, since there are better, cheaper and more popular purely dedicated arcade fighters out there that can cater to their arcade wants much more effectively.

There are several arcade fighters out there that EA UFC 2 simply cannot compete against like Street Fighter, Tekken, MKX e.t.c. so I doubt it's the arcade aspects of EA UFC 2 that draws casuals in, instead I think its the games likeness to real life UFC that draws them in, the likeness visually and the “true to life” aspects of the game play. They are drawn to its realism .i.e. its sim aspects.

I think you're fighting a wastefull battle by trying to make this game appeal to both the sim and arcade players. On one hand I doubt the causals playing this game care for its arcade aspects infact I think they bought it for its realism, on the other, the harcore players of this game are getting more and more annoyed because of its arcade aspects. Overall you guys think you're appealing to both sides of the fence but you're doing more damage than good in my opinion.
Exactly. My roomate is a super casual gamer who plays pretty much everything. He started playing mma games from undisputed 1. He likes EA UFC 2 better than the first game, but he dislikes the arcade elements it brings in the striking and said he liked undisputed more cuz the striking felt more realistic to him.

# 166 jamesbenz21 @ 05/31/16 12:33 PM
Quote:
It's not that they don't work correctly per say, it's that it's way to easy to deny them from bad situations (like still standing on one leg after a missed kick or with 0 stamina).

Funny about getting choked from sprawl, for some reason that is where I have the most trouble denying Sub attempts.
I agree, sprawl is a dangerous position i think the denial window for a sub from that position should be a LITTLE(and i mean little) bigger but again it's a dangerous position and I am happy if they left it alone, just a suggestion.

# 167 aholbert32 @ 05/31/16 12:36 PM
Quote:

There are several arcade fighters out there that EA UFC 2 simply cannot compete against like Street Fighter, Tekken, MKX e.t.c. so I doubt it's the arcade aspects of EA UFC 2 that draws casuals in, instead I think its the games likeness to real life UFC that draws them in, the likeness visually and the “true to life” aspects of game play. They are drawn to its realism .i.e. its sim aspects.

Actually I'm not assuming that at all. I'm not assuming that every casual fan will automatically like the arcade elements. What I'm assuming is that every casual fan wont care about all of the hardcore elements that people on this forum want.

Take Demetrious Johnson. As you know he is the UFC Flyweight Champion. You would expect that someone with his expertise would want a hyper realistic version of the game, right?

That assumption is wrong. He has been quoted as saying he dislikes the stamina in the game and thinks its too taxing. He wants to be able to throw spinning kicks and strikes with no stamina penalty. Now thats counter to what 90% of the forum thinks about this game. Everyone here wants perm stamina to be more taxing than it is.

DJ is an example of some casual gamers. They can appreciate realism and arent going to object if its in the game unless that realism affects their ability to have fun. So if you are trying to appeal solely to "sim" players, you run the risk of losing out on fans like DJ. Their money is worth the same as ours.

Thats why UD3 was perfect for me in some ways. I have no idea what playing UD3 is like without sim mode. I've never played it on arcade stamina. I have no interest in playing it that way. But I'm sure there were thousands of buyers who preferred playing it in arcade mode.

Thats why in favor of having sliders or a sim mode and giving individuals the right to cater the game how they want it.

# 168 aholbert32 @ 05/31/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Exactly. My roomate is a super casual gamer who plays pretty much everything. He started playing mma games from undisputed 1. He likes EA UFC 2 better than the first game, but he dislikes the arcade elements it brings in the striking and said he liked undisputed more cuz the striking felt more realistic to him.
Well I have 3 friends who are casual gamers too but big MMA fans and they love the striking but hate the stamina and grappling in the game. There are casual fans who like sim elements and there are casual fans who dont like them at all.

# 169 Boiler569 @ 05/31/16 12:39 PM
Quote:

yup my biggest issues with standing takedown (hopefully one or more will be fixed )

* 100% stam vs 0% stam...the 0% stam can still deny TDs pretty easily! Which is a total joke.

* Hit detection is pretty bad. I know this is a big picture issue (physics engine) --- perhaps a workaround = 'weak' strikes don't fully interrupt a takedown but instead take a tiny bit of steam off the TD attempt....so a lazy jab that connects might take off 10% of the takedown's effectiveness, potentially making a difference, but not fully interrupt the TD.

* No cage interaction on takedowns!! We have it with Clinch so that's nice; but there should definitely be cage interaction for takedowns --

Fingers crossed

# 170 aholbert32 @ 05/31/16 01:11 PM
New Spoilers:

Fixed bug that made takedowns in some clinch positions too easy, and others too hard #patchspoiler

Added new logic to control when different strike types can interrupt a takedown #patchspoilers

# 171 GameplayDevUFC @ 05/31/16 01:24 PM
Quote:
Added new logic to control when different strike types can interrupt a takedown #patchspoilers
This is the one people will probably be most interested in.

The fix we put in isn't exactly what I wanted, but it's a huge improvement for sure.

We can now control which strikes interrupt takedowns on a per strike basis.

For this patch, we have removed the ability for straight punches (jabs and straights) and leg kicks to interrupt takedowns by default.

If they land in a way that would naturally cause a stun (ie at the end of a combo), they can still do it. Just not by default.

We can also add new strike types to that list through server updates if we choose to. We started with these ones to test the waters and not make too drastic a change all at once.

Feedback on this aspect will be very much welcomed.

# 172 Lake the striker @ 05/31/16 01:32 PM
Quote:
Actually I'm not assuming that at all. I'm not assuming that every casual fan will automatically like the arcade elements. What I'm assuming is that every casual fan wont care about all of the hardcore elements that people on this forum want.

Take Demetrious Johnson. As you know he is the UFC Flyweight Champion. You would expect that someone with his expertise would want a hyper realistic version of the game, right?

That assumption is wrong. He has been quoted as saying he dislikes the stamina in the game and thinks its too taxing. He wants to be able to throw spinning kicks and strikes with no stamina penalty. Now thats counter to what 90% of the forum thinks about this game. Everyone here wants perm stamina to be more taxing than it is.

DJ is an example of some casual gamers. They can appreciate realism and arent going to object if its in the game unless that realism affects their ability to have fun. So if you are trying to appeal solely to "sim" players, you run the risk of losing out on fans like DJ. Their money is worth the same as ours.

Thats why UD3 was perfect for me in some ways. I have no idea what playing UD3 is like without sim mode. I've never played it on arcade stamina. I have no interest in playing it that way. But I'm sure there were thousands of buyers who preferred playing it in arcade mode.

Thats why in favor of having sliders or a sim mode and giving individuals the right to cater the game how they want it.
I'd definitely be in favour of a sim/arcade slider and perhaps a sim/arcade mode for online players.

As for the rest, I respectfully disagree. Despite what DJ stated I'm sure the reason he'd stick around and play EA UFC 2 instead of street fighter, where he can in fact do as many spin kicks as he wishes without stamina penalty, is that EA UFC 2 is more so a reflection of his sport. Which is my point, when it comes down to it, regardless of what is said, the only selling point for any UFC game in terms of both casual and hardcore players is its faithfulness to the sport of mixed martial arts, what else would it be?

The assumption that to much “realism” would deter causal gamers does not make sense to me, since they purchased the game because of it faithfulness to the sport and realism in the first place, do you see my point?

# 173 WarMMA @ 05/31/16 01:38 PM
Quote:
Well I have 3 friends who are casual gamers too but big MMA fans and they love the striking but hate the stamina and grappling in the game. There are casual fans who like sim elements and there are casual fans who dont like them at all.
Yup..casuals will be casuals.

# 174 bmlimo @ 05/31/16 01:39 PM
and what about referee comand to standup and breaking clinch ?

# 175 Boiler569 @ 05/31/16 01:44 PM
Quote:

The fix we put in isn't exactly what I wanted, but it's a huge improvement for sure.

For this patch, we have removed the ability for straight punches (jabs and straights) and leg kicks to interrupt takedowns by default.

If they land in a way that would naturally cause a stun (ie at the end of a combo), they can still do it. Just not by default.

We can also add new strike types to that list through server updates if we choose to. We started with these ones to test the waters and not make too drastic a change all at once.

legit; can't wait to try it out

# 176 aholbert32 @ 05/31/16 01:46 PM
Quote:
I'd definitely be in favour of a sim/arcade slider and perhaps a sim/arcade mode for online players.

As for the rest, I respectfully disagree. Despite what DJ stated I'm sure the reason he'd stick around and play EA UFC 2 instead of street fighter, where he can in fact do as many spin kicks as he wishes without stamina penalty, is that EA UFC 2 is more so a reflection of his sport. Which is my point, when it comes down to it, regardless of what is said, the only selling point for any UFC game in terms of both casual and hardcore players is its faithfulness to the sport of mixed martial arts, what else would it be?

The assumption that to much “realism” would deter causal games does not make sense to me, since they purchased the game because of it faithfulness to the sport and realism in the first place, do you see my point?
I wouldnt assume that all or most casual fans buy the game because of the "faithfulness to the sport and realism".

I have friends that buy FIFA because they have their favorite team but who turn off offsides, red cards and increase the speed so that its super fast.

I have friends that buy Madden and play with penalties off and never punt.

I have friends that play 2k who turn all fouls off and increase the dunk sliders so that there are more dunks.

My point is you can buy a UFC game for the graphics, the roster and the sport and not want it to be a true simulation of the sport or care if its faithful to how the sport really is.

# 177 bmlimo @ 05/31/16 01:51 PM
Quote:
I wouldnt assume that all or most casual fans buy the game because of the "faithfulness to the sport and realism".

I have friends that buy FIFA because they have their favorite team but who turn off offsides, red cards and increase the speed so that its super fast.

I have friends that buy Madden and play with penalties off and never punt.

I have friends that play 2k who turn all fouls off and increase the dunk sliders so that there are more dunks.

My point is you can buy a UFC game for the graphics, the roster and the sport and not want it to be a true simulation of the sport or care if its faithful to how the sport really is.
Man yeah they can do that... but offline and changing the natural game aspect...in EA UFC we don't have the option to "turn off combo multiplier" and etc... the game should be realistic but should also have a arcade mode for those people...

# 178 WarMMA @ 05/31/16 01:52 PM
Quote:

This is a start I guess. It's just that shooting td's are supposed to go under most head strikes unless someone is shooting in from really close and happens to run into something. So that means any strike that's to the head, once I set my shot up well and shoot in from good distance, I should go under any strike my opponent throws to the head. Uppercuts should be one of the only head strikes that can intercept a td coming in from good distance, but only if it is well timed...also knees. There are also some hit detection issues going on with strikes interrupting td's too, but that's another topic. Interested to see how this change works out though.

# 179 Bigg Cee @ 05/31/16 01:53 PM
Quote:

This is gunna be great, I wonder what changes you guys made to takedowns now?

# 180 norml @ 05/31/16 01:53 PM
Quote:

This sounds like a great start. I'll be heading to Gamestop after work for sure.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.