Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

PopSci has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on preview, as they go over physics tweaking, aiming with shot stick and more.

Quote:
To make the game more realistic, the team made sure you could no longer run or jump through an opposing player’s limbs, which was a complaint they heard repeatedly. This also means that the ball will actually ricochet off of a player’s arm or leg, making you fight for better position. The team worked on tweaking the physics of the game, allowing you to play more physically and fight for the ball like real players do.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 MarkWilliam @ 08/22/16 08:12 PM
Quote:
Improved AI is hinted at in the trailer, when a defender blocks a layup from behind. You see a vastly improved help defense system in the game, where computer players are much more aware of their surroundings. Instead of simply moving from point A to point B, or sticking with one player on defense, the 2K team told me that computer players are much better at understanding what to do on the court and why.
Sounds interesting. I'd like to know if this is just applicable to defense. I always felt the pick and roll game could use some refinement.

The pick player needs to read the defense and then roll at a time and in a way that there is a passing lane. Its about read/react. I feel in 2K the screener tends to roll blindly and it's on the user to just pass it with hope he's timed it right.

Be nice if AI team mates sort of time their roll to optimise the passing lane for nicer PnRs......probably wishful though.

# 22 stillfeelme @ 08/22/16 08:14 PM
This impression is a little confusing on parts that should be clear. The other impression article sounded more clear in defining the improvements. The dribbling part I couldn't tell his context in this one.

We need a developer blog strictly on the shooting and controls and that is probably Mike Wang right before the game comes out.

I have been primarily a shot stick guy since they introduced it but I don't see the advantages of using it if they added an "aiming" aspect to even though I usually pull down on it.

# 23 ch46647 @ 08/22/16 08:19 PM
Really excited to hear if all the artificial defensive sliding/magnet/sticky defense is gone. I also really hope they added first step/explosion to ball handlers out of dribbling moves.

It seems like both articles have commented on it, but their description has beem a bit vague. I'd like to see a blog just on this aspect of the game..

# 24 MarkWilliam @ 08/22/16 08:31 PM
I am hopeful that some players (aggressive driving players) can create separation with the turbo button.

IRL an explosive player can launch FAST from the perimeter and if he is having success getting to the basket, defenders start over compensating. This creates separation and then pull up jumpers open up.

In previous 2K games, turbo threats are nerfed by sticky defenders as a way to reduce turbo abuse. But that's not quite what should happen.

If AI defenders are more aware and help defense is better this year, I am hopeful that they don't need to rely on "sticky" defenders to "balance" the game....

# 25 BluFu @ 08/22/16 08:34 PM
Hoping that I can now choose to get layups off the glass quickly or hang in the air for a bit when there's a nearby defender.. otherwise I don't see much point in adding a release timing to layups

# 26 Trackball @ 08/22/16 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISports
One thing I'm praying for is being able to skip thru cut scenes and the halftime show faster.

If you add up all the games you play throughout the year, the amount of time waste waiting to get back to the game is staggering.
"And now, presented by Sprint..."

"The Sprint halftime report, presented by Sprint"

# 27 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/22/16 09:17 PM
I wonder what the whole thing about moving the stick straight back means for shots that are triggered by different directions on the stick. For a drifting jumper, you had to hit right or left on the stick while moving. If you pressed down, you would get a stepback jumper.

Did they remove the different shot mechanics tied to directions on the stick, maybe?

# 28 MarkWilliam @ 08/22/16 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
I wonder what the whole thing about moving the stick straight back means for shots that are triggered by different directions on the stick. For a drifting jumper, you had to hit right or left on the stick while moving. If you pressed down, you would get a stepback jumper.

Did they the different shot mechanics tied to directions on the stick, maybe?
I'm hoping a Mike Wang blog is only days away so we can really understand all these interesting new changes.

# 29 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 10:06 PM
Thinking about it, I kind of feel like moving the stick straight back has been a mechanic before....

# 30 vtcha @ 08/23/16 02:37 AM
To make the game more realistic, the team made sure you could no longer run or jump through an opposing player's limbs, which was a complaint they heard repeatedly. This also means that the ball will actually ricochet off of a player's arm or leg, making you fight for better position. The team worked on tweaking the physics of the game, allowing you to play more physically and fight for the ball like real players do.

Please let this be the end of stripping the ball through a player's knee or blocking a shot from the armpit.

Hopefully diving for the loose-ball also won't result in your player suffering a separated shoulder as we've seen in the past :P

# 31 Vni @ 08/23/16 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Thinking about it, I kind of feel like moving the stick straight back has been a mechanic before....
It's how it is on free throws, or was at least.

# 32 stillfeelme @ 08/23/16 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic

Did they remove the different shot mechanics tied to directions on the stick, maybe?
A dev blog on controls will have to clear this up. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to use the buttons instead of the stick for some advanced moves. The leaked controls didn't have anything on advanced jumpers.

# 33 Mintsa @ 08/23/16 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Yeah well if shooting is essentially harder with the stick I don't see any reason to use it. Unless there is something else to it. That sounds like they weren't sure of that mechanic so they left the button unchanged just in case it was overkill.
Your right. THat can't be all there is to it.

If indeed it is. I can see that with online ranked PNO games, my park etc. We'll only be able to use the stick, not the button.

That would only make sense. If not, nobody would use the stick because it would be harder.

I'm a "shot stick", have been ever since it was implemented. So this wouldn't effect me. I actually think its a good idea (if everyone is forced to use it for inline ranked games).

# 34 ViolenceFight @ 08/23/16 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
they had it in 2k16 but casuals hated it cus they felt it was a "turbo boost." i absolutely loved it as it gave the offense another dynamic. having a guy on your team that can get by guys and put pressure on defense that way was crucial. then 2k catered to the Timothys.

That was not the case at all. It wasn't an explosive first step, it was abusing the animation directly after dribbles to get an unnatural boost. And this is coming from a guy that locked booster scrubs down. There's a complete difference between the launches (Which were the explosive steps) vs. What the speed boosters were doing.

# 35 Nevertheles109 @ 08/23/16 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
That was not the case at all. It wasn't an explosive first step, it was abusing the animation directly after dribbles to get an unnatural boost. And this is coming from a guy that locked booster scrubs down. There's a complete difference between the launches (Which were the explosive steps) vs. What the speed boosters were doing.
Yes there was. I strictly play offline and knew nothing about the turbo boost prior to the patch.

Was it abused in the wrong hands? Yes.. but it also could be used in a very sim manner as well without the turbo boost tactic. The sim crowd suffered due to casuals.

# 36 ksuttonjr76 @ 08/23/16 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Your right. THat can't be all there is to it.

If indeed it is. I can see that with online ranked PNO games, my park etc. We'll only be able to use the stick, not the button.

That would only make sense. If not, nobody would use the stick because it would be harder.

I'm a "shot stick", have been ever since it was implemented. So this wouldn't effect me. I actually think its a good idea (if everyone is forced to use it for inline ranked games).
Ironically, I have to move BACK to using the shot stick due to this change. This year was first time that I regularly used the button (minus when we used to be able to double tap for the eurostep move) for jump shots. It might have be placebo, but it seem like open shots went in more with the button.

I've been using the shot stick since Day 1.

# 37 alabamarob @ 08/23/16 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Ironically, I have to move BACK to using the shot stick due to this change. This year was first time that I regularly used the button (minus when we used to be able to double tap for the eurostep move) for jump shots. It might have be placebo, but it seem like open shots went in more with the button.

I've been using the shot stick since Day 1.
Button responded quicker then shot stick for certain off the dribble jumpers.

# 38 Luke Skywalker @ 08/23/16 11:48 AM
I can't wait for this game to come out. The new shooting mechanic piques my interest, I like a new challenge to the game. The stamina is also interesting. I feel that the stamina will be a big complaint for the casual gamers and it will then be patched (like the 2K15 shot stamina, which worked perfectly). I just hope 2K doesn't succumb to the casual gamer and finally caters their sim community.

# 39 Vni @ 08/23/16 11:54 AM
We still don't have confirmation that we can still bounce/lob pass. I'am guessing it's in but it's not in the controls so you never know. I hope we get a modifier for fading again.

# 40 GuwopGeezus @ 08/23/16 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
We still don't have confirmation that we can still bounce/lob pass. I'am guessing it's in but it's not in the controls so you never know. I hope we get a modifier for fading again.
We do have confirmation it was shown in the 2k17 controls article

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.