Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

While it was mentioned last month that NBA 2K17 would support HDR on the PlayStation 4, GameSpot has confirmed the PlayStation 4 Pro will run at a native 4K resolution at 60 FPS.

For those of you on a 1080p display, it will still render a 4K resolution, resulting in "much better anti-aliasing" with HDR support.

2K told us the patch will be available prior to launch of the PlayStation 4 Pro console, which is scheduled to release on November 10 for $399.99.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 Swagger Jack @ 10/12/16 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeric
Why buy a ps4 pro, if you own a ps4 already, and a pc?? Doesnt make sense unless your pc is a potato
-I do own a Ps4
-I do own a PC
-My PC is not a potato it cost 3 thousand dollars
-I will be buying a PS4 Pro
-Why? Because I feel like it and have the money
-There are plenty of people who are doing the same exact thing
-Assumptions are stupid.

# 22 DreamAgain @ 10/12/16 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
That's weird, because people with great PCs can't even do 4K @ 60 FPS in 2K17. I have a Geforce 970 GTX and probably can't play 2K17 @ 4K@60FPS.
Don't mistake the difference between 4k@60fps with every setting cranked to the max and the most likely medium graphics settings the console will be running it at.

Also i think the new ps4 pro is about on par with a 970 (the one thing holding the 970 back is the amount of vram available at its disposal which, if you can't achieve 4k 60fps on medium settings is probably the reason why)

# 23 DreamAgain @ 10/12/16 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISports
Which is better?
rendering.

Think when you play a normal DVD on a 1080p screen your player/tv will "upscale" the DVD to 1080p quality.

Or you can play blu-ray and it actually plays in 1080p quality.

Native is much better.

# 24 Swagger Jack @ 10/12/16 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAgain
Don't mistake the difference between 4k@60fps with every setting cranked to the max and the most likely medium graphics settings the console will be running it at.

Also i think the new ps4 pro is about on par with a 970 (the one thing holding the 970 back is the amount of vram available at its disposal which, if you can't achieve 4k 60fps on medium settings is probably the reason why)
How could the PS4 pro possibly, POSSIBLY be on par with the 970 when the card costs as much as the system? Cmon man.

# 25 fluent2332 @ 10/12/16 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAgain
That's true and what I was basically saying. The developers will actually have to reduce the graphics settings to get the game to play at 4K @ 60 FPS. Also - "medium" settings is being generous, IMO.

I think that is a possibly misleading part of the 4K console marketing. The graphics themselves will not be "cranked" to max settings and I think the "average consumer" believes that they will be.

# 26 BQ32 @ 10/13/16 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeric
Why buy a ps4 pro, if you own a ps4 already, and a pc?? Doesnt make sense unless your pc is a potato
I have a high end PC with a gtx 1080, however I love playstation exclusives and the newest tech. Regardless of what many people want to believe the Pro is a far more capable machine then the OG PS4 and on games that take advantage of the console will have significantly superior graphics. I also just ordered the PSVR so the Pro will help tremendously with the extra processing needed to keep the high frame rates in VR and dual displays. Hopefully VR graphics on the PRO will be closer to what can be achieved with the OG PS4 on a tv.

# 27 BQ32 @ 10/13/16 12:58 AM
Quote:
That's true and what I was basically saying. The developers will actually have to reduce the graphics settings to get the game to play at 4K @ 60 FPS. Also - "medium" settings is being generous, IMO.

I think that is a possibly misleading part of the 4K console marketing. The graphics themselves will not be "cranked" to max settings and I think the "average consumer" believes that they will be.
Your assuming that the current console versions are running equivalent to max settings on a PC. Seeing the game run max on a PC vs the cosole versions tell a very different story. Even if the PRO renders it at 1440 and checkerboard scales it to 4k it will be SIGNIFICANTLY better looking game. There is a trend to downplay the Pro's capabilities but it is still 3 TIMES more powerful then the XBOX ONE S. Reporting that this game will be rendered in 4k at 60fps is a huge slap in the face to the naysayers out there. Don't hate, just trade in/sell your old system/s and get the Pro. I am.

# 28 fluent2332 @ 10/13/16 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Regardless of what many people want to believe the Pro is a far more capable machine then the OG PS4 and on games that take advantage of the console will have significantly superior graphics.
This sounds like some marketing stuff right here, lol.

# 29 fluent2332 @ 10/13/16 01:00 AM
Quote:
Your assuming that the current console versions are running equivalent to max settings on a PC. Seeing the game run max on a PC vs the cosole versions tell a very different story. Even if the PRO renders it at 1440 and checkerboard scales it to 4k it will be SIGNIFICANTLY better looking game. There is a trend to downplay the Pro's capabilities but it is still 3 TIMES more powerful then the XBOX ONE S. Reporting that this game will be rendered in 4k at 60fps is a huge slap in the face to the naysayers out there. Don't hate, just trade in/sell your old system/s and get the Pro. I am.
Yeah, you work for Sony don't you? lol. It's all good. I have a powerful gaming PC and do all my gaming on that, so I'm good, thanks.

# 30 BQ32 @ 10/13/16 01:22 AM
Quote:
Yeah, you work for Sony don't you? lol. It's all good. I have a powerful gaming PC and do all my gaming on that, so I'm good, thanks.
Nope I don't work for Sony, but I am an unbiased enthusiast of gaming. I also have a Powerful PC but I sure can't play The Last of Us, or Uncharted on it. And for whatever reason PES is the ugly stepchild on PC. I am a fan of hardware upgrades though and the Pro is a significant upgrade over the OG. Just look at the specs since your a PC guy and tell me why I shouldn't be excited. My PC blows the Pro out of the water as it still will the Scorpio in a year or more whenever that thing comes out. But right now the Pro blows the OG out of the water spec wise and it is my best option to play those and new exclusives. Not to mention I am a competitive gamer and the online communities are way more populated on consoles then PC for sports games and get support first which is why I chose to buy 2K for the PS4 in the first place. This insures a great balance of both worlds.

# 31 fluent2332 @ 10/13/16 01:32 AM
Quote:
Nope I don't work for Sony, but I am an unbiased enthusiast of gaming. I also have a Powerful PC but I sure can't play The Last of Us, or Uncharted on it. And for whatever reason PES is the ugly stepchild on PC. I am a fan of hardware upgrades though and the Pro is a significant upgrade over the OG. Just look at the specs since your a PC guy and tell me why I shouldn't be excited. My PC blows the Pro out of the water as it still will the Scorpio in a year or more whenever that thing comes out. But right now the Pro blows the OG out of the water spec wise and it is my best option to play those and new exclusives. Not to mention I am a competitive gamer and the online communities are way more populated on consoles then PC for sports games and get support first which is why I chose to buy 2K for the PS4 in the first place. This insures a great balance of both worlds.
Sounds good, bro. Do your thang. The Pro is definitely an upgrade and the community is indeed bigger on consoles. I would possibly consider buying a console just for playing 2K basketball online.

# 32 DukesofHazzard @ 10/13/16 05:06 AM
Quote:
Sony should give you at least a 50% trade in on your old PS4 towards a Pro.
I AGREE 100 percent.

# 33 Wejwer89 @ 10/13/16 10:39 AM
What about HDR compatibility on regular PS4 consoles? Is it another thing that 2k sports is lying about?

# 34 WTF @ 10/13/16 04:11 PM
The current version runs at 60 fps doesn't it? So framer are wise, nothing will change. 2k surely wouldn't downgrade the game in order to achieve 4k at 60fps.

I hope they show some screens or videos to showcase this.

# 35 bcruise @ 10/13/16 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
The current version runs at 60 fps doesn't it? So framer are wise, nothing will change. 2k surely wouldn't downgrade the game in order to achieve 4k at 60fps.

60 in gameplay, 30 in out-of-play scenes (cutaways, mycareer stuff, etc).

If it's 60 all the time, that would be an improvement.

# 36 Dmanning2 @ 10/13/16 05:38 PM
Quote:
Sony should give you at least a 50% trade in on your old PS4 towards a Pro.
Would love this also. I'll never happen because Sony/Xbox loses so much. Many people don't know every time a PS4/XBONE is sold Sony/Microsoft loses money.

# 37 fluent2332 @ 10/13/16 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

Ya'll are misconstruing what I mentioned. When I say "downgrade", I don't mean "downgrade the game". I simply mean they aren't going to be able to do max settings @ 4K-60 FPS. I have a powerful gaming PC and playing last year's 2K game didn't maintain a steady 60 FPS @ 4K. And I have a graphics card that is as expensive as the PS4 Pro console itself and a huge 4K TV to test it on.

If these consoles are indeed going to pull off 4K @ 60 FPS, it's going to be low or medium settings in comparison to the PC at best. IMO. And the "interesting" marketing aspect comes in when all these articles mention "native 4K @ 60 FPS", etc. It has the possibility of confusing the average consumer who doesn't realize these graphics still won't be better than a good gaming PC.

# 38 bubba4 @ 10/13/16 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wejwer89
What about HDR compatibility on regular PS4 consoles? Is it another thing that 2k sports is lying about?
I too thought that HDR support on the old PS4 for NBA2K17 was coming. Did I miss something?

# 39 Artman22 @ 10/13/16 07:53 PM
This is fantastic news. I was getting the pro regardless but this makes it even better. Even if it's checkered board 4K it's still way better than Upscaled. This game in native 4K and HDR is going to be nuts. I hope 2k didn't make a mistake and misspoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 40 Furq @ 10/13/16 09:29 PM
How much of an improvement can be expected?

I have a 4K tv right now and honestly 2k looks pretty good, the only issue is the players look accurate but still a bit "lifeless" but that won't be fixed by 4K resolution.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.