Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

GameStop has revealed some more Madden NFL 18 features. Check them out below.

Product Details
Madden NFL 18 takes a significant visual leap with the power of the Frostbite engine. See stunning new stadium exteriors surrounded by vast cityscapes and watch the spectacle of NFL gameday come to life in the most photorealistic game to date. Play each matchup to your specifications by selecting from three new Play Styles or play the best real world match ups each week in Play Now Live! With the introduction of even more ways to play, coupled with your favorite modes, Madden Ultimate Team and Franchise, this is Madden like you've never seen before.

New Ways to Play
POWERED BY FROSTBITE Madden Like You've Never Seen Before. See stunning new stadium exteriors surrounded by vast cityscapes and watch the spectacle of NFL game day come to life in our most photorealistic game to date. All-new firework displays, player run-outs and stunning weather elements deliver Madden like you've never seen before. MORE TO COME
PLAY NOW LIVE! Play the best real-world NFL match ups each week! Take the field with your favorite team or play the best weekly matchup using live updates containing the latest rosters, custom commentary and up-to-date stats from NFL.com then continue your season all the way to the Super Bowl from Play Now.

GAMEPLAY
  • Target Passing: For the first time ever, no longer are you tied to throwing at your open wide receiver. Throw to who you want, in the exact spot on the field with all-new Target Passing, giving you, ultimate control over where the ball is thrown.
  • Play Styles: Play the game you want by selecting from three new and unique play-styles catering each matchup to your specifications:
    • Arcade - Action packed excitement filled with spectacular plays and scoring with limited penalties.
    • Simulation - True to player and team ratings using authentic NFL rules and gameplay.
    • Competitive - Your stick skills are key, earn big rewards for your skill or receive bigger penalties.
  • Coverage Assignment: Know your job in pass coverage with an on-screen, real-time UI system informing you of your coverage assignment in pass defense.
  • Coach Adjustments: Customize the AI to fit your game plan and make situational changes to your strategy on the fly as the game demands it.
Favorite Ways to Play
MUT - Build, play, and win with your ultimate team of todays' NFL stars and legends. Madden Ultimate Team (MUT) is the complete NFL team-building mode using your favorite NFL players from the past and present. Play games, collect rewards and upgrade your team with daily, fun and engaging content updates including legendary NFL players exclusively found in MUT. Continuously craft your squad to elite status on the road to building your Ultimate Team dynasty. MORE TO COME
FRANCHISE - Create your Dynasty. Play weekly full game matchups or get through a season quickly by playing as just the offense, defense, or key moments from the game. Grab the reins and control your teams' operations from signing free agents and making trades, to scouting and drafting players, your decisions build your dynasty. Join up with other players and battle through the season in a fully connected league experience. Choose to play and manage your Franchise from your smart phone using the Madden Companion App.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 PVarck31 @ 05/15/17 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Target Passing -- This again? How come every 2 or 3 years we read the same statement for a "new" feature. They said the same thing about total control passing. It needs to be a total overhaul, otherwise they are running the risk of revisiting an old Madden problem -- code on top of old code making the system unwieldy.

As far as the lack of Franchise improvements, I'm both disappointed and not surprised. But in no way would I buy the argument that time went into upgrading the Frostbite engine. What is the point of the separate Austin studio??

Edit: As far as the coach adjustments go, my expectation is that it will be underwhelming and largely taken from NCAA's adjustments. I'd rather see AI at the level where a single CB may decide to jump routes. I don't mean higher rated players better at reading routes, I mean some guys, regardless of how good they are, playing more aggressive. Mostly I don't want a gimmick feature. And whatever it entails, the AI better be able to make proper use of it, so any coaching adjustment feature would require adaptive AI. Without that, we know this will be a gimmick like telling defenders to use the hit stick.
Lots of assumptions here. And please don't come back with anything about EA's track record. You are basically dismissing Target Passing without having any idea what it actually is. You are also assuming there are no franchise improvements, and that coaching adjustments is a rehash of NCAA.

All of this may be true in the end, but I could make the exact opposite assumptions as you and it would be just as valid.

tl,dnr I think we should wait for all the info before dismissing features.

# 82 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/17 11:07 PM
Guys EA Play is a little over 3 weeks away, can't we just be a LITTLE patient and wait and see what's announced before assuming things about what was and doesnt done in the game? Nothing was announced about Franchise this time last year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 83 ggsimmonds @ 05/16/17 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Lots of assumptions here. And please don't come back with anything about EA's track record. You are basically dismissing Target Passing without having any idea what it actually is. You are also assuming there are no franchise improvements, and that coaching adjustments is a rehash of NCAA.

All of this may be true in the end, but I could make the exact opposite assumptions as you and it would be just as valid.

tl,dnr I think we should wait for all the info before dismissing features.
Speculation is part of the hype train package. Do you reply with the wait for info response to people who comment positively? I'm guessing not.

And why can't I come back with EAs track record? Is the past not the best predictor for the future?

i'm not dismissing Target Passing; I'm remaining skeptical, significant difference. I'm not going to go into threads showing my dairy air arguing that EA dropped the ball. Simply put, there isn't much in this press release to get me excited. The discussion is about the feature list and our reactions to it. Don't shame me just because my reaction isn't OMG take my money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Is their a link to a confirmation of no improvements to franchise mode? Lack of info at this time of the year is no different than the past few years. We will hear more about features at EA Play in early June with some game footage and blogs to follow. A lot more information to follow.

I, for one, enjoyed the NCAA coaching adjustments on the fly.
Here I will make an assumption -- there will be improvements to franchise mode. I think that is a relatively safe assumption.

However, the lack of anything new in this release suggests that any improvements are of the finetuning or balancing nature. There may be a handful of minor substance improvements, but I would suspect that if they had anything significant lined up there would be a hint of it.

# 84 PVarck31 @ 05/16/17 02:36 AM
Quote:
Speculation is part of the hype train package. Do you reply with the wait for info response to people who comment positively? I'm guessing not.

And why can't I come back with EAs track record? Is the past not the best predictor for the future?

i'm not dismissing Target Passing; I'm remaining skeptical, significant difference. I'm not going to go into threads showing my dairy air arguing that EA dropped the ball. Simply put, there isn't much in this press release to get me excited. The discussion is about the feature list and our reactions to it. Don't shame me just because my reaction isn't OMG take my money
Your first statement about Target passing was "This again?" sounds like a dismissal to me.

As far as the EA track record thing, Yes there is something to be said about it, but it's the easy way out in any discussion about Madden.

The entire tone of your post was basically same stuff different year. And I'm merely saying you should think about getting more info on the features you mentioned before you assume the worst.

# 85 ggsimmonds @ 05/16/17 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Your first statement about Target passing was "This again?" sounds like a dismissal to me.

As far as the EA track record thing, Yes there is something to be said about it, but it's the easy way out in any discussion about Madden.

The entire tone of your post was basically same stuff different year. And I'm merely saying you should think about getting more info on the features you mentioned before you assume the worst.
"Throw to who you want, in the exact spot on the field with all-new Target Passing, giving you, ultimate control over where the ball is thrown."
You know very well we've seen that line before. This is the 3rd time they have used this as a selling point. First it was with lead passing, then total control passing where you could aim high/low, and now they are calling it target passing. Hopefully it is a completely reworked system with untethered passing, but I think I have good cause to be skeptical on this. And yes, when they use the same line 3 times within 10 years or so it warrants a "this again" response.

That aside, my tone was not meant to convey same stuff different year. On the issue of coach adjustments, the system I want to see requires major upgrades to AI. The kind of upgrades that they would mention on this list. I think Madden has a ways to go before having the AI capable of such a system, so any coach adjustment system they implement before hand is likely to disappoint me. The tagline, plus what the team has shown to be capable of, leads me to believe what we will see is an upgraded feature from NCAA ("on the fly"). In itself there is nothing wrong with that, but I do take issue with introducing it as a new core feature.

With that, I'm not assuming the worst dude. Not even close.

# 86 OhMrHanky @ 05/16/17 08:49 AM
Quote:

i'm not dismissing Target Passing; I'm remaining skeptical, significant difference. I'm not going to go into threads showing my dairy air arguing that EA dropped the ball. Simply put, there isn't much in this press release to get me excited. The discussion is about the feature list and our reactions to it. Don't shame me just because my reaction isn't OMG take my money!

Here I will make an assumption -- there will be improvements to franchise mode. I think that is a relatively safe assumption.

However, the lack of anything new in this release suggests that any improvements are of the finetuning or balancing nature. There may be a handful of minor substance improvements, but I would suspect that if they had anything significant lined up there would be a hint of it.

Wait a minute. Wait one minute. Did u say, 'dairy air'? Lol. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Awesome. Hate to be that guy, but it's 'derriere'. It's French. I love it, though. [emoji6][emoji41]

# 87 BlackBetty15 @ 05/16/17 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Wait a minute. Wait one minute. Did u say, 'dairy air'? Lol. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Awesome. Hate to be that guy, but it's 'derriere'. It's French. I love it, though. [emoji6][emoji41]

Well now its Texan...so "dairy air" it is.

# 88 Madden08PCgmr @ 05/16/17 10:36 AM
Interesting that they've officially branded 'Arcade' mode.

This has played like an arcade game since the release of XBox 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 89 roadman @ 05/16/17 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Interesting that they've officially branded 'Arcade' mode.

This has played like an arcade game since the release of XBox 360.

A matter of opinion, for sure.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree, with the right sliders, once can have a sim experience with this game vs CPU.

Big huge thread for this last Madden on out of the box game play(w/o patches) and several threads in the slider forum giving sim game play.

# 90 Ueauvan @ 05/16/17 11:06 AM
2 things from me, if you can play coach mode or watch it like a spectator and never influence via controller a players action that to me is sim assuming that certain logic is present.
on stadiums, landscapes, logos uniforms etc i know prior maddens had this 08 pc im thinking, im not sure what else

as an example i am sick of the suggestion of London Bulldogs/Beefeaters etc. id like to choose my team name.

# 91 roadman @ 05/16/17 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
2 things from me, if you can play coach mode or watch it like a spectator and never influence via controller a players action that to me is sim assuming that certain logic is present.
on stadiums, landscapes, logos uniforms etc i know prior maddens had this 08 pc im thinking, im not sure what else

as an example i am sick of the suggestion of London Bulldogs/Beefeaters etc. id like to choose my team name.
True, good point about sim.

Once you put a controller in someone's hands, it's no longer sim.

# 92 jpdavis82 @ 05/16/17 11:16 AM
Rex has already stated that the game feels like 3 different games with the 3 play styles and that each style will be tuned and patched separately, this is potentially HUGE news for Madden and hopefully this will allow the game to be more and more simulation based for the sim gamer. The game played a lot more sim when I was at the studio in 2015, then what we ended up with after the patches in 16 and this should help keep it that way at least in theory.

# 93 roadman @ 05/16/17 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Rex has already stated that the game feels like 3 different games with the 3 play styles and that each style will be tuned and patched separately, this is potentially HUGE news for Madden and hopefully this will allow the game to be more and more simulation based for the sim gamer. The game played a lot more sim when I was at the studio in 2015, then what we ended up with after the patches in 16 and this should help keep it that way at least in theory.

Unfortunately, that didn't work out too well in 17. The more patches that were delivered, the more the kicking game was nerfed, both punting and fg's.

That's just for starters.

# 94 jpdavis82 @ 05/16/17 11:24 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately, that didn't work out too well in 17. The more patches that were delivered, the more the kicking game was nerfed, both punting and fg's.

Which speaks to my point that much more, the casual and more arcade style players found it too difficult but for the sim gamer they liked the challenge, so with 18 they can Tune each style to the interest of the style of gamer.

# 95 Madden08PCgmr @ 05/16/17 11:31 AM
Quote:
A matter of opinion, for sure.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree, with the right sliders, once can have a sim experience with this game vs CPU.

Big huge thread for this last Madden on out of the box game play(w/o patches) and several threads in the slider forum giving sim game play.

The focus is clearly on the online modes. And I get it, considering the money they can make on post-release add ons. But that doesn't translate into a football sim, IMO.

We're no closer to replicating a 'TRUE' NFL experience than we were in 2005.

There have been visual and gameplay improvements. The game is stunning, even with mo-cap issues. But Madden 2005 is every bit as viable as the upcoming release in terms of simulating a yearly NFL cycle. That's extremely frustrating.

# 96 howboutdat @ 05/16/17 11:38 AM
Quote:

Also that happened in 16 . happened so much, rex made a point before 17 to say they were not going to do that again this year,meaning patch things and nerf them . I recall the kicking being one of the things he was pointing to in that very statement.

I really hope this does what we are all kinda hoping it does. I guess they will need to create hashtags for each mode, so when people complain they can just easily see which mode they are talking about the issues in. Otherwise they will be having to ask everyone , " so what mode are you seeing this in? " .

Someone had mentioned on twitter , they hoped the sim mode would make it so sim leagues would not need as many rules because the game will play out sim by itself. I have huge doubts about that, because there will always be glitches/exploits in the games limited AI, and too many people make money off spending time to "lab" to find all the weaknesses , then post videos all over the net for people to see.

Most sim leagues has a strong core they keep all the time ,while a few new combers may swing thru from time to time , due to peoples work schedules changing , etc. Mostly the rules in sim leagues are so the new people whom are allowed in, know that the rest of league is already playing by.Anyone who has ran a league will tell you, if its not in writing , some new cat will be trying any exploit until you make it in your rules written out. Sadly too many people cant just try to play football without using something as an unfair advantage.Im sure any league would love to not have to have any rules listed, but human nature along with weakness in game AI and its limitations, that i dont ever see as a possibility.

# 97 Hova57 @ 05/16/17 11:43 AM
So far so good, but can't wait to see if oline sliding is revamped.. I ended up not liking Madden because users overload weren't being caught by line when adjusted normally ended up being a layup sack no matter how bad the de was

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

# 98 roadman @ 05/16/17 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
The focus is clearly on the online modes. And I get it, considering the money they can make on post-release add ons. But that doesn't translate into a football sim, IMO.

We're no closer to replicating a 'TRUE' NFL experience than we were in 2005.

There have been visual and gameplay improvements. The game is stunning, even with mo-cap issues. But Madden 2005 is every bit as viable as the upcoming release in terms of simulating a yearly NFL cycle. That's extremely frustrating.

I do agree with your first part of your post.

Agree to disagree with you on the last part, again, I respect your opinion and others have felt the same way.

I used to play Madden on the PC back in the day and we had a hard core group that would slider test until Thanksgiving because of the stat engine or lack of stat engine in Madden.

However, over the past few years, I've been able to latch onto sim sliders to make it feel as close to sim as I see on Sunday. It's it a perfect sim? No, but it's sim enough for me compared to what I watch on TV.

YMMV.

PS-Don'want to derail the thread as it's veering OT.

# 99 DeuceDouglas @ 05/16/17 01:28 PM
I just worry by separating the modes that post release there won't be much post-release support. With CFM they combined the modes so that they could save time not having to tune and tweak both modes. Now with that we've seen that they've pretty much left the offline, single player experience in the dust when all I remember hearing was to not worry as they'd be treated equally from now on. With these settings they've basically done the exact opposite of that. They've separated them where they'll now have to tune and balance two (I don't include arcade) entirely different modes at the same time as opposed to just one. We know eSports is their baby now and I just hope to see equal support for both sides post launch. I don't want to have to be pounding the table for stuff like a missed FG or inaccurate passes on a simulation mode. This is all stuff that should be accounted for from day one and I just have doubts that it will be this great equalizer where everybody gets what they want.

# 100 roadman @ 05/16/17 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm only directing this at your post Road because I believe you'll understand it's nothing personal, it's about playing semantics with "sim", which irks me, lol. I wish we could stop with semantics, when any reasonable person refers to playing "sim", they're referring to realistic enough for them compared to the actual NFL, just like you were in the second post I quoted.
Oh, I understand it isn't personal, but it's not intentional on my end to play semantics with anyone.

It's sim enough for me and I'll just leave it at that before we really start derailing the thread.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.