Home
Preview
NBA 2K12 Preview

Last year at E3, I found out about the new arena-arrival cuts before the game. This year, the new pre-tipoff eye candy comes in the form of dynamic introductions. These are stylized videos with custom music showing off the marquee players of the matchup. It's basically what you see in real NBA broadcasts that tease the upcoming game.

According to producer Erick Boenisch, no two dynamic introduction videos will be the same as each clip shows off your favorite players performing different signature gestures they are known for doing before or during games. Think LeBron James' pregame toss or a Dirk Nowitzki fist pump after he sinks that high-arcing jumper. There's a new presentation package for playoff games with new starting lineup overlays and home crowds donning uniform colors throughout the arena. In addition, there was a "pop-up" promo involving players at the bottom left of the screen used to promote upcoming games. In terms of graphics, much is still unfinished says Erick, but there's an emphasis on re-lighting faces this year. Player faces and facial emotions are much more recognizable even while the ball is in play because of this lighting tweak.

Speaking of gameplay, a minimal amount was shown and even less was spoken about. However, it is clear more contextual moves will be added in NBA 2K12. Most of the shots taken in our Mavericks vs. Heat demo all seemed to be influenced by player momentum and the location of the ball before the shot animation began. I also noticed a push-ahead dribble by LeBron on a vicious drive to the bucket. That is a welcome sight for both 2K gamers and Heat fans. He couldn't go into detail, but gameplay producer Rob Jones acknowledged more dribbling upgrades are definitely coming in NBA 2K12. He added there would also be an improvement in how the AI uses specific players, making sure all the control and moves given to users are a part of the AI's arsenal as well.

Lastly, I spent a good amount of time trying to find clues about the NBA 2K12 cover athlete, but none was in sight. Community manager Ronnie 2K said they've come up with some crazy ideas so far, but nothing is decided yet. When asked if new play-by-play analyst Steve Kerr was maybe being considered, he vehemently shut that down saying, "Not a chance, and you can quote me on that." Bummer.

That's all for now from NBA 2K12 at E3. Do you guys like what you hear so far?

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 youngfaze01 @ 06/10/11 01:14 PM
After watching the e3 video, the court needs to be more glossy. You should be able to see the lights around the arena reflecting off the court.

# 62 jlandryst @ 06/10/11 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I got you Blue ! Again I can't argue with much of anything you wrote. One this I can say is that from the inside they are not happy at all with the online performance of the game. So although you may not have heard it voiced know that online is not where they want it to be and they did throw an honest effort at it last year from a performance standpoint. It wasn't enough and they are again aware of that. I told them myself that when EA comes back your online is going to be a problem because theirs .... WORKS.... LOL.

From the information we have heard so far it "seems" like they are trying to touch every area of the game and tighten and polish I can only hope and assume ( I know I know ### of you and me right LOL) online will be better.
so Czar if im reading your comment correctly NBA 2K dont want to be online? and you tell me in 2011 when other companies can have 22 players playing soccer on a field with no lag thats an honest effort. SMH

# 63 bSmooth @ 06/10/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandryst
so Czar if im reading your comment correctly NBA 2K dont want to be online? and you tell me in 2011 when other companies can have 22 players playing soccer on a field with no lag thats an honest effort. SMH
No, you're reading it completely wrong. Try it again.

Actually here, I'll rephrase it with better punctuation.

"One thing I can say is that from the inside they(2K) are not happy at all with the online performance of the game. So although you may not have heard it voiced, please understand that online is not where they(2K) want it to be. They did put an honest effort into last year, from a performance standpoint, but it wasn't enough. Again, they(2K) are aware of that and seek to improve."

# 64 KyotoCarl @ 06/10/11 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfaze01
After watching the e3 video, the court needs to be more glossy. You should be able to see the lights around the arena reflecting off the court.
Once again; keep in mind this is a very early build. Besides, it was fine in 2K11.

# 65 jlandryst @ 06/10/11 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bSmooth

"One thing I can say is that from the inside they(2K) are not happy at all with the online performance of the game. So although you may not have heard it voiced, please understand that online is not where they(2K) want it to be. They did put an honest effort into last year, from a performance standpoint, but it wasn't enough. Again, they(2K) are aware of that and seek to improve."
thanks for clearing it up but that still doesnt answer in 2011 almost 2012 they cant have servers that play the game as advertised?

# 66 Da_Czar @ 06/10/11 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bSmooth

Thanks B !

# 67 rockchisler @ 06/10/11 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianPowwwa
I'm probably guessing if the Mavs win the finals, Dirk will be on the cover. If, the Heat win, then LeBron or Wade will be on the cover.
Cover boys are not picked solely on who wins the Title, as for Lebron will never be on the cover of a bball game unless he changes his stance..

# 68 mlp111 @ 06/11/11 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandryst
wow 2K basketball really got some people fooled. i know people swear up and down they dont play online but what about those that do? why say your game works online and for two years in a row the servers were constantly down or just not connecting?
Why have a crew mode for myplayer when it takes an hour at least to get in a game? I dont care how pretty they make the faces or how the lighting is if that dont work. i could go on and on but people really know some of the stuff thats wrong ie every center no matter what the rating playing like Hakeem in his prime on the low block...lol

So no 2k will not get my money take a stand like we did with Madden 11 and watch the changes happen. Low sales make then listen not complaining on forum after we have the game.
I really don't play online, all a majority of people do is pull plug, so I don't play online........ All I'm concerned about is whether there will be a pc version

# 69 youvalss @ 06/11/11 02:24 PM
I don't play online, don't care about it and probably won't buy sports games in the future, when online might be the dominant mode. YET(!), as a consumer I would say, that there is not even a slight of excuse for online not to work properly. If it's one of the features - it should work 100%. But I'm not sure if this problem will be fixed for good any time soon. We'll see...

Personally, I'm waiting to see the whole package (minus online, which I don't care about) - gameplay, graphics, modes, presentation, original and new touches etc.. But especially this year, when I'll have to save my money and buy less games (if any), I need much more of an upgrade over the previous year in order to convince me to buy the game. Solid gameplay with no real graphical boost = not buying (vice versa is probably not relevant when it comes to 2K, though I do expect a gameplay boost as well).

But that's just me, one consumer. 2K can still sell 1,999,999 units without me, so why do I even bother?

# 70 LiveAllDaWay @ 06/11/11 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hefner
Each and every 2k has had horrible server issues no matter what they claim about fiber optics or new nasa technology they never ever fix this issue... but one of the most major issues i have with the 2k basketball franchise is how they make the worst possible players on the team have the easiest releases when was the last time you played the lakers and got torched by kobe from the perimeter? more then likely its steve blake leading the team in perimeter or shannon brown... played against the sixers last year? then you know jodie meeks well he has the textbook release and leads the team in scoring pretty much everytime i play against the sixers samething with von wafer on the celtics....

another dumb thing about 2k is just because your the tallest guy on the foor doesnt mean you have dennis rodman rebounding abilities i made a center in my player and my third i played against th emagic and out rebounded dwight howard 22 to his 10 rebounds because my player was 7'1 with 70ish rebounding numbers...

another dumb thing about 2k is that they have 1.5 million moves made for breaking down the defense but what about the great defenders in the league the Deshawn Stevensons, dewayne wades, the corey brewers why dont they have special tools to help them shut down the elite scorers in the game i put corey brewer on jodie meeks and he get torched game after game...

another thing i hate about 2k is the fact that this game tries to fool you into thinking that everybody has a mid ranged game everybody on the floor has a perimeter shot no matter the rating i play against the hawks and josh smith is torching me from deep (one foot inside the 3pt line repeatedly with defense in his face when in real life people want him to shoot that shot did u watch the hawks bulls series in this years playoffs his own fans boo'd him when he shot the ball WIDE OPEN cut the bull 2k and make a with a hordcore mode for real fans of the sport so i dont have to witness such foolishness
I agree with everything u said I am a 2k fan but it isn't close to like ho real basketball I'm also focused on gameplay as well I like the other stuff to but gameplay is the most important thing in a basketball game. I'm not gonna buy next year's game but i 'll definitely borrow it from a friend.

I know the game is not gonna be perfect and its an early build hopefully they would polish it like they said they would i'm not gonna get all hype up like i did last year but lets see what they bring to the table.

# 71 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 06/11/11 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hefner
i mean no disrespect to anyone my term fanboy is a harmless jab aimed at the people that call themselves fans of the sport of basketball that think that more iso moves is gonna make the perfect game even more perfect. ive owned every 2k basketball since dreamcast and even when i bought every live game i always supported 2k basketball because it was improving year after year once it officially took the thrown from the live series they started to get sloppy in my eyes.

i dont play association mode i enjoy playing online against other humans and for example 2k has offered the choice of creating or joining online leagues for quite a while now. madden started this maybe 2 or 3 games ago but they have already surpassed 2k baskets online league options. madden allows you to only only create an online league but u can play in it by yourself against 31 cpu controlled teams in 2k basketball if someone drops your league any game against them has 2 be forfiet until a new owner is found so if i only have 20 people i have 2 eliminate teams from my online league which is not realistic. also madden has 10 years of online franchise and atleast that many draft classes so even if you are stuck with the buffalo bills you can get better through the draft, 2k basketball has a one season and done so who really wants to go through a season with the clippers or the cavs when there is no hope to improve your team with trades and then there is no next year so once someone is out of the playoff picture why even continue to play your stuck madden has made these improvements within the last 3 games what has 2k done to the online league mode in the same amount of time

like i said i have given 2k my money and looked the other way while they ignored issue after issue and plea after plea about what would make the game better and in the same token improve sales and overall satisfaction i dont intend to hurt any feelings or start any beef on the forums but my thing is flaming the 2k forums has proven it wont work we have 2 let them know just like i did with madden last year that if you are not going to field our suggestions then we will take our money elsewhere and i dont expect the video game players to undestand unless they are fans of the game
well u know just as 2k hasnt been all to great with the online modes madden hasnt been too great with its offline modes..They have basically taken what 2 r 3 years off from franchise mode and super star mode is the worst career mode i have ever played. but on the other hand 2k has the best franchise mode and they also have a very appealing my player mode

# 72 tmatt1988 @ 06/12/11 12:12 AM
I like the additions but besides gameplay they REALLY NEED a new expert analyst Clark Kellogg? Really? ITS AN NBA GAME GET NBA COMMENTATORS!!!! I dont mind Kevin Harlan although he is nothing like he is in real games. Wheres the passion? "RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES!" "UP HIGH AND DOWN HARD" "WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!!" Where is that in 2K? Step up Harlan...

# 73 aloncho11 @ 06/12/11 12:15 PM
^It is going to be Steve Kerr and not Kellog.

# 74 sniperhare @ 06/29/11 09:47 PM
They really need an online Association. I want to be able to set up a fantasy draft game with my friends.

# 75 aerohitman @ 07/02/11 01:00 AM
I want the errors fixed. F--- the dam faces and crowds and other useless updates. I want a realistic HOF, better My player ( play choosing, chemistry keeper, more plays when im doing good, option to reduce season, etc.), online is a joke still. Takes forever to join and then sometimes it gets disconnected halfway -_- and C'mon with My crew...it's lacking. Make it so people can't hide their 7'10 POINT GUARDS and then cheese the whole game. ugh, it annoys me how they are focusing on graphics and other stupid crap, home crowd? like i care. I want to run a fast break and not get blocked from behind by a guy 10 ft away...

# 76 souleffecx @ 07/05/11 09:38 PM
its most likely gonna be D.Rose on the cover. MVP. and its an easy transition from having MJ. D.Rose may be the second coming.

# 77 NealN42 @ 07/05/11 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by souleffecx
its most likely gonna be D.Rose on the cover. MVP. and its an easy transition from having MJ. D.Rose may be the second coming.
Cool story bro. Seriously why do people care who's on the cover? It has literally no effect on how the game actually plays...which is...ya know... the important thing.

# 78 lukesicari97 @ 07/10/11 07:36 AM
Loving what 2k is saying so far!

# 79 kobe23323 @ 07/29/11 08:18 AM
could put the magic passes and LeBron James passes such

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.