Home
OS Scores Explained NBA 2K12 Overview (Xbox 360)
Pros
The Greatest Mode, 64 total teams, superb gameplay
Cons
My Player, Everything associated with online, Lack of Association upgrades
Bottom Line
This game has plenty that can be fixed, but the ridiculously awesome gameplay and classic teams together make it well worth your money.
out of 10
NBA 2K12 REVIEW

NBA 2K12 Review (Xbox 360)

We have changed how we do reviews and also how we score games!

Want to know more? Read about how we complete our reviews under the new system. You can check out the review process here, and then you can scope out the scoring guidelines and then check out how we score games now with our scoring rubric

Day One: Gameplay Impressions
Day Two: Game Modes Impressions

It's been one year since we were all blessed with the God of video game basketball in NBA 2K11, so of course our hype levels were at an all-time high with 2K12 releasing last week. The hype built up so much that we were expecting nothing less than a Jordan-esque legend. But in the end, the game didn't quite live up to all the buzz.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fantastic and a must buy for every basketball fan out there, but we were all expecting a classic. Instead we ended up with a great game, and we're disappointed by the fact. We may be greedy and selfish, but this is what happens when 2K consistently puts out a great product. The expectations become so ridiculously high that they will be near impossible to meet.

So I'm not being negative, the game is the best virtual NBA to date. And it all starts with this little thing, which everyone is falling in love with, called gameplay.

Gameplay

The biggest complaint you heard about 2K11 were problems in the gameplay. There were the cheesers who used lead passing and spin dunking to dominate the competition. There were animations that could end a game-tying trip down the court. And of course, the infamous backcourt violations that happened way too often. But all of those have been fixed and then some. Cheesers will still cheese, there will always be a way for them to do that. However, those animations are gone along with the unnecessary turnovers.

Aside from the minor issues that upset so many people last year, 2K really focused on improving every aspect of gameplay. Player movement is much more seamless this year; it looks like you're watching a game on TNT. Signature styles are pretty slick, too. Dirk looks just like he did when he dominated The Heatles last June. LeBron's shot looks amazing when he fades back to miss wide open treys. And Durant's shot makes me want to cry for days because it's so beautiful; he should be in Seattle. By the way, where are all of the alternate Sonics jerseys? Anyone know? I'm waiting.

The play calling system is another huge step for the 2K series. In my opinion, the one thing the NBA Live series did correctly was their play calling system. They always dominated 2K on that front. In 2K12, the play calling system is actually pretty good, though. The diagrams look better, the plays run quicker and smoother and your teammates actually move around.

The new collision engine, something I've been praising the past month, is spot on. Driving to the lane isn't simple anymore, and neither is posting up with Howard; nothing is automatic. The new total control takes affect here as well. Being able to change your shot in mid-air has really added more to everyone's play style. Depending on your team, your point guard might not be able to drive to the hole. Everything changes based on which team your playing you are using. You have 64 teams to play with, good luck mastering them all.

Presentation

Honestly, the only thing that could make the presentation better is if 2K snagged licenses from TNT, ESPN, ABC and NBC. It looks and feels like a real game. The visuals, the overlays, the commentary, I could go on all night. 

The pre-game intros are awesome, especially for key games when it shows the quick 30 second clip. And when they show the starting five with those 3D player models, I begin to drool. Another sick overlay is when in the bottom corner they start advertising for a future game; 3D models of the team's top players just chilling there? Priceless. 2K has never disappointed when it comes to presentation, and they kept up the tradition this year.

The commentary is easily the best in the sports genre bar none. Especially coming from the awfulness in Madden, this was more than a breath of fresh air, it's like being reborn. Harlan, Kellogg and Kerr do a great job. They aren't reading a script, they're using their knowledge to talk about the NBA. I was extremely impressed when they were discussing Rose's development in the league, then they stopped talking about it because of a monster jam. The next thing I heard, word for word: "But to get back on the topic of Rose..." Wow. I never thought I hear that in a video game. 2K brought it this year in terms of presentation.

I'd also like to dabble a bit in The Greatest Mode here, because the presentation there is another thing of beauty. With the black and white, Technicolor and the classic NBA on NBC overlays ... I'm speechless. Mad props to 2K for pulling all of this off.

Game Modes

Now this is where 2K12 starts getting hit with the bad marks. My Player, the mode that was supposed to be amazing, falls short. There are glitches, problems with the AI and issues all around. It's improved over last year, but the problems are like your nagging grandma who won't leave you alone. The endorsements are awesome, even if they can be considered gimmicks. 

Association mode is fun as usual, but it's basically the same as last year. There are more free agency options, which is a great addition, but it's not enough to make the mode stand out. Also, with the rookies being left out thanks to the lockout, the realism factor isn't really there. A lot of teams have gaping holes that the rookies should be filling.

However, even with the issues in My Player and Association, there is one mode that will is vastly underrated. The Greatest, which has as much hype as anything, isn't getting too much love. The classic rosters, presentations and commentary really put the mode in a league of its own. Even after I unlock all of the teams, I'm still going to be playing these over and over again.

Name one thing 2K says will improve every year, yet it seems to get worse. If you said "online servers," then you are correct.

The servers have been constantly going in and out since the game hit shelves, leaving thousands of frustrated fans crying for a solution. I know 2K is hard at work trying to solve this problem -- I've been in contact with them -- but these servers need to be ready when the game launches, not three weeks later. (Disclaimer: I don't know if it is actually three weeks, that was only a number I pulled out of thin air. I have no idea when the servers are expected to be running properly.) 

Other than the server issues, online feels very laggy when compared to 2K11. The passing and player movement -- two huge upgrades in offline gameplay -- seem like they're just broken. I know all online gaming has some sort of delay, but when it's getting complicated to pass the ball something is wrong. Sure after a few games I got used to the lag, and I'm sure most of you did too, but I don't want to have to readjust my passing every single time I ball online.

The big upgrade to online this year is The Online Association. I haven't been able to delve into this mode too much yet, but I have muddled around through the menus and have been a part of a couple bogus leagues. The menus are decent, but they seem a bit busy. A few nice things I noticed, though, include the ability to set a good time to meet with your opponent in the league, rather than sending a billion XBL or OS messages. The league is even set on a timer, where once it hits zero the league will advance past the current games.

Final Thoughts 

NBA 2K12 is a bag of mixed goods. In my opinion, the good outweighs the bad by a pretty decent margin. The gameplay alone is something that has set the bar for not just basketball gaming, but sports gaming in general. The NBA's Greatest is one of the most addictive game modes I've ever played in any video game to date. And the presentation is yet another piece of the 2K12 puzzle that puts every other sports game to shame. 

But as I said, there is bad to go with all of the good. My Player has a few too many tweaks that need to be made and Association is just stale with no upgrades or rookies. I know it's the NBA's fault that the rookies aren't in the game, but the fact of the matter is that it takes away the reality and fun of the popular mode. And I don't need to even get started about the online play; you all know the problems that are there.

So after a year, when we fully enjoyed 2K112K12 is finally here. Though the problems are annoying and the online is sloppy, the game is still a must buy for any basketball fan. 

NBA 2K is still the GOAT.

Learning Curve: If you don't know much about basketball and/or didn't play 2K11, you better hit Training Camp right away. Remember, we're talkin' 'bout practice this year.

Control Scheme: To pull off all of the moves, you need to be skilled. NBA 2K isn't a pick-up-and-play game anymore -- it's for the hardcore fans.

Visuals: Can I really rave about this anymore? The presentation and graphics are beautiful.

Audio: This falls under presentation too. The addition of Kerr to Harlan and Kellogg is awesome. Plus this is the best 2K soundtrack I've ever heard.

Online: Terrible. The servers need to be reliable for a change.

Value: The game has its flaws, but it's still the best NBA game ever made. You'll be playing this for a long time.

Score: 8.5

What does an 8.5 mean?? "8.0 - 8.5 (Great) -- These games are really quite good. There are a few notable flaws with the game holding it back from being a classic, but these games are worth the money, and for even casual fans of the sport they are definite purchases."

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 RaychelSnr @ 10/10/11 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinger
What happened to the 10 point scale?

1 terrible, 5 average, 10 classic

Everything is rated between 5-10 on OS ... there's no way in god's green earth is a game like Madden anywhere on the same stratosphere as NBA 2K and there's only a .5 or .1 difference between the titles on OS.

Frankly, that's just wrong.
You can easily make the argument for why they are one category away. If NBA 2K shipped with a functional online mode and a more bug free experience in My Player the score would have easily been a 9 if not a 9.5. We review games As-Is and review games as a whole not JUST the gameplay or gameplay/presentation. A game's score here at OS depends on it's ability to stand the test of time -- which means every part of it has to be clicking to enter into the 9.0 realm. I honestly thought NBA 2K was going to be our first 9 under the new scale, but literally you cannot be a 9.0 on the 10 point scale without having everything at a level that's great. When Online, which is 10-20% of a game is not functional half the time, is broken -- you can't give a game a 9 period.

Like I said in my blog today, it's really a testament to NBA 2K12's gameplay and presentation's greatness the game received an 8.5 with the flaws in the game at launch.

As to your point about the 10 point scale -- most AAA sports titles fall within the 6 - 8.5 range because they're all usually quite good at the end of the day. We have had games all over the spectrum since the launch of the new scale. We'll likely see the scale in it's full glory as we head into minor release season, when games can really be closer to average to quite bad at times.

# 22 coolcras7 @ 10/10/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT
No games have deserved anything higher. You should go read our grading scale
Seems that the new grading scale is like a female who thinks she is going marry Brad Pitt except she is over weight has bad teeth bad skin and lives in the outback. Reviews of NHL 12, FIFA 12, NBA 2k12 and even Madden 12 state that they are the best of their series, so the question I have has operation sports set its bar to high ? I agree with all the complaints for the game and maybe reviews like this is what 2k needs to step up their game.

# 23 youvalss @ 10/10/11 02:50 PM
Fair review, and not too much affected by the hype - and that is a plus. But for some reason when I saw 8.5, I felt like the score was 7. After 2K11, everything less than 9 seems like 7. But it's good to see someone pointing out some cons and not letting the buzz around the game control the review.

# 24 JCEVO @ 10/10/11 02:53 PM
online has so many variables that I wouldn't even downgrade a game score based on online play. this 8.5 sound more like 9

everybody can play 2k12 but not everybody can play 2k12 online and just off that online play is irrelevant in reviews.

# 25 FGOmik @ 10/10/11 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by llatson2
so if nba 2k12 didnt have online play all together then the rating would be higher, right.
Someone made a similar comment on my review of the game and I just don't get it--especially coming from a sports gamer.

Online is a massive part of what gives a sports game its longevity. Even in the best sports games, you can only play the CPU for so long before it becomes completely rote. There is no substitute for human competition.

Further, whether the score would be different if there were no online at all is irrelevant. It IS there and so it needs to be put through its paces and evaluated. And so far, it is dire, at best.

# 26 morningstar777 @ 10/10/11 03:04 PM
I stopped after you said Online Association was decent. It is the worst mode in anything I have ever experienced in an online game.

# 27 RaychelSnr @ 10/10/11 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGOmik
Someone made a similar comment on my review of the game and I just don't get it--especially coming from a sports gamer.

Online is a massive part of what gives a sports game its longevity. Even in the best sports games, you can only play the CPU for so long before it becomes completely rote. There is no substitute for human competition.

Further, whether the score would be different if there were no online at all is irrelevant. It IS there and so it needs to be put through its paces and evaluated. And so far, it is dire, at best.
If a AAA title today is released with no online mode, it's top is probably AT BEST an 8.0 and that's if everything else is perfect within the game. So again, just someone trying to twist words and find meaning where there is none. Online is 10-20% of a sports game, depending on the game and all the other intangibles. So that is definitely something that is taken into account. We dock the more minor games all the time not having good online modes (or any at all).

# 28 JCEVO @ 10/10/11 03:14 PM
sports game survive pretty well without online and now people just act boogie now that online came. people don't gave game nights no more, people don't invite friends over no more. its sad really

online play is so dysfunctional and lack of stability. not everybody have great connection but everybody expects a great connection everytime you hit quick game. people are so blind and naive to what it takes to make a game playable online.

I haven't played a sports game yet that has a great online yet. I played some that durable with a few adjustment to lag but never a game that feels like I'm playing offline which should be what online play is striving for. only 2k get a review hit because of online when all sports game online should take a hit

# 29 truintellectplaya @ 10/10/11 03:37 PM
To each his own, reviews are worthless play the games for yourselves. How can I game be the best virtual b-ball game ever but get lower scores than games that were not as good. Does not make sense. That is like giving Jordan the best ever, a lower overall score than D-Wade. It just does not make sense. If it's the best true reviews should reflect it being the best. At the end of the day, I think people cry too much about online. Online is not true to sim on any level, so it is not essential to me.

# 30 UrbanMerc @ 10/10/11 03:40 PM
7 is the top score I would give this game. The online has been broken since the beginning of this generation. That is inexcusable. Add to that the buggy My Player, and you should get no more than a 7 for not fixing those issues after YEARS of repeated neglect towards those issues. I am sure the single player looks and plays like a dream, but I just can't excuse the net code any longer.

You are not getting my $60 this year 2K.

# 31 bigsmallwood @ 10/10/11 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Maybe on your old archaic college paper grading scale

(Insert plug to actually read the scoring rubric to see how we actually score games with a full 10 point scale here)
LOL I have to see how the new scoring system is done. THX

# 32 JCEVO @ 10/10/11 04:44 PM
Apollo don't even try and put 2k into madden problem. they gameplay has the same for years. 2k uses the same engine but 2k12 plays nothing like 2k11. animations are better, a.I. is far superior.out the box and presentation is godly IMO. and this is without elite.

# 33 spankdatazz22 @ 10/10/11 04:51 PM
The thing I don't like about the review is that it doesn't seem to take any intangibles into account. I think the degree of programming difficulty present in NBA2K from the standpoint of implementing signature style for pretty much every player and giving gamers the ability to customize these styles is pretty unprecedented to my knowledge; don't think another game comes close to that level of programming difficulty. Not going to list the gameplay enhancements that go along with that but I do think gameplay the game is likely top 1-3 representations of it's sport. Likewise the level of Presentation in this game; imo it's not just better, it really sets the standard for other games to be judged against bar none. Not only did they set a standard for presentation in regular game mode games, they also went WAY beyond with what they did presentation-wise for the Legends.

Another intangible not taken into account imo is the amount of content in this game versus other sports games. Again, I haven't played every sports game so I don't know what other games are doing content-wise. But this game has modes beyond what most games have in the Legends mode (which was done extremely well, with it's own presentation elements dedicated to it), Blacktop which is always overlooked/taken for granted, Online Franchise which to my knowledge isn't a staple in all sports games, and My Player. My point is the degree of difficulty implementing everything in the game would seem to be quite different from a game just doing "the basics", so to speak. What's the incentive for a developer to try to go above and beyond when they'll be judged no differently (or perhaps even harsher, because the standard is higher(?)) if they don't excel at something considered basic.

I'm not much of an online player but have dabbled this year after reading all the complaints just to see what it was about myself. Out of maybe 10-12 or so attempts to connect I'd say 4 times I couldn't connect at all, had 3 where the connection dropped at different parts of the game and was able to have 5 complete games; 4-1 record against randoms. In every game I was able to play, the person played questionably - attempting to steal constantly, jumping inbounds passes, etc. Not that they knew it, they just played that way. I don't want to knock online play but it's really subjective in terms of the experience you'll get. Some people won't even touch My Player. Or Blacktop. Or online association. Or offline association (which to my understanding is still one of the top franchise modes in sports gaming).

Either way, just wanted to rant so /rant. Would like to see the game get the props it deserves. Although I wonder how they'd be judged if they only did "the basics", where most games don't have the level of signature style in this game nor the many gameplay modes this game has. I don't disagree knocking it for online or My Player, just think other things weren't given enough credit given the circumstances (that most sports games don't attempt to do what they have) and what the game is as a total package.

# 34 scoonie05 @ 10/10/11 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCEVO
Apollo don't even try and put 2k into madden problem. they gameplay has the same for years. 2k uses the same engine but 2k12 plays nothing like 2k11. animations are better, a.I. is far superior.out the box and presentation is godly IMO. and this is without elite.
Dude, please don't tell me that you're saying that madden 11 plays like madden 12?? If so, I don't respect your opinion from now on. LOL

# 35 coop15 @ 10/10/11 05:07 PM
A crew mode and my player pick up would make it a ten in my book and much more speaking for the psn users

# 36 RaychelSnr @ 10/10/11 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The thing I don't like about the review is that it doesn't seem to take any intangibles into account. I think the degree of programming difficulty present in NBA2K from the standpoint of implementing signature style for pretty much every player and giving gamers the ability to customize these styles is pretty unprecedented to my knowledge; don't think another game comes close to that level of programming difficulty. Not going to list the gameplay enhancements that go along with that but I do think gameplay the game is likely top 1-3 representations of it's sport. Likewise the level of Presentation in this game; imo it's not just better, it really sets the standard for other games to be judged against bar none. Not only did they set a standard for presentation in regular game mode games, they also went WAY beyond with what they did presentation-wise for the Legends.

Another intangible not taken into account imo is the amount of content in this game versus other sports games. Again, I haven't played every sports game so I don't know what other games are doing content-wise. But this game has modes beyond what most games have in the Legends mode (which was done extremely well, with it's own presentation elements dedicated to it), Blacktop which is always overlooked/taken for granted, Online Franchise which to my knowledge isn't a staple in all sports games, and My Player. My point is the degree of difficulty implementing everything in the game would seem to be quite different from a game just doing "the basics", so to speak. What's the incentive for a developer to try to go above and beyond when they'll be judged no differently (or perhaps even harsher, because the standard is higher(?)) if they don't excel at something considered basic.

I'm not much of an online player but have dabbled this year after reading all the complaints just to see what it was about myself. Out of maybe 10-12 or so attempts to connect I'd say 4 times I couldn't connect at all, had 3 where the connection dropped at different parts of the game and was able to have 5 complete games; 4-1 record against randoms. In every game I was able to play, the person played questionably - attempting to steal constantly, jumping inbounds passes, etc. Not that they knew it, they just played that way. I don't want to knock online play but it's really subjective in terms of the experience you'll get. Some people won't even touch My Player. Or Blacktop. Or online association. Or offline association (which to my understanding is still one of the top franchise modes in sports gaming).

Either way, just wanted to rant so /rant. Would like to see the game get the props it deserves. Although I wonder how they'd be judged if they only did "the basics", where most games don't have the level of signature style in this game nor the many gameplay modes this game has. I don't disagree knocking it for online or My Player, just think other things weren't given enough credit given the circumstances (that most sports games don't attempt to do what they have) and what the game is as a total package.
A lot of good points, but really: all of those things are taken into account. I'm not sure what you are really trying to say after all of that because a lot of it is incredibly contradictory (want us to take the sheer amount of content into account but also take just the basics and not worry about modes few touch?) but we take an ENTIRE game into account and as I've already said a few times today, the fact that with so much broken in the game it still got an 8.5 on our new full 10 point scale is a HUGE accomplishment. If the gameplay or presentation were lacking in any way, this game would've been knocked a bit more due to the game's issues with online. If you play the game offline, the score is higher, if you play it online it's much lower. I feel the score Dustin gave the game represents the best balance for sure.

# 37 RaychelSnr @ 10/10/11 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCEVO
It's linked right in the review article at the top man. And what an 8.0 - 8.5 means is also listed at the bottom. Pretty easy to find that info

# 38 spankdatazz22 @ 10/10/11 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
I'm not sure what you are really trying to say after all of that because a lot of it is incredibly contradictory (want us to take the sheer amount of content into account but also take just the basics and not worry about modes few touch?) but we take an ENTIRE game into account and as I've already said a few times today, the fact that with so much broken in the game it still got an 8.5 on our new full 10 point scale is a HUGE accomplishment.
Really don't care about the score; was kind of expecting it given the level of complaining here from everything to My Player to the Legends inclusion to the soundtrack. I was just stating my reasoning. Really don't feel like getting into a back and forth either as I feel if 2K didn't release another NBA2K, 2K12 would stand on it's own for years going forward. Imo it isn't the typical yearly update. I didn't feel I was being contradictory because sports game components should be weighted differently/appropriately - I think you alluded to online representing a certain percentage of the score. Just as I feel if a developer goes above and beyond what's expected that should be weighted in also, almost like extra credit.

For example, no one's knocking Madden for not having unique running animations to differentiate between tall/small receivers. If they go the extra mile and add that dynamic, I think people will give them additional credit for doing so. If the My Player and Online issues are deemed really bad in relation to other sports games, that's cool. I only have one other current sports game (Madden 12) I own, so can't reasonably compare what other games are doing in terms of My Player-like mode functionality or online capacity.

# 39 PVarck31 @ 10/10/11 06:31 PM
People act like an 8.5 is blasphemy. New scale + today's sports gaming landscape = Fantastic game.

# 40 elprez98 @ 10/10/11 06:53 PM
Madden 11: 9
and 2k12: 8.5?

Even if you compare apples to apples, you are saying Madden 11 was a better overall football game than NBA 2k12 is of a basketball game which is false.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.