Home
OS Scores Explained Out of the Park Baseball 13 Overview (PC)
Pros
+ Redesigned Interface; New additions enhance immersion; Same addictive gameplay
Cons
- Relatively steep learning curve; A few minor glitches; Super addictive
Bottom Line
Year in and year out, OOTP is always a must-have game for any baseball fan.
out of 10
Out of the Park Baseball 13 REVIEW

Out of the Park Baseball 13 Review (PC)

The best baseball game available gets better, thanks to some smart improvements.

I’ll skip the typical introductions and get right to the point: If you’ve played Out of the Park in prior years, you should buy OOTP 13. If you like text sims, you should by OOTP 13. If you’ve never heard of OOTP, but love baseball (and own a PC), you should really consider buying OOTP 13.

It’s really that simple. OOTP 13 represents the current pinnacle of text and baseball sims, and is a game nearly all baseball fans will enjoy.

Gameplay

The basic gameplay of OOTP 13 remains as solid as ever. At its core, it’s a GM/manager simulation allowing you to manage rosters, salaries, line-ups, etc. It’s also extremely customizable; you can tweak league settings, replay historical seasons, start as a minor league manager with little control, or create an expansion team.The options are staggering, and allow you to experience the game in a huge variety of ways.

However, some new elements make what OOTP did in the past even better. A redesigned interface puts all of the important tasks in one place, with reminders of critical dates and items that need your attention. The toolbar along the bottom has been placed on the side by default, and while I like its new position, it did take some getting used to. I also wish that the full inbox was on the main manager homescreen; it may be cluttered on some monitors, but running at full-screen I have plenty of unused real estate.

Another gameplay addition is the “Real-time Simulation” mode. It doesn’t add much functionality to the game, but certainly increases the overall pressure felt while playing as a GM. And, with various speed choices, simming ahead feels much more organic than simple pressing the “next day” button.

The trade engine also received some attention. It’s much harder to pry away big name stars, though I’ve seen AI teams more than willing to drop big contracts. Still, trading is easier if you shop your players around and then use the “make this work now” feature. However, in my time with the game, I got scammed once or twice using this method.

There are numerous other gameplay enhancements, including more realistic player development, the option to have historical players show up in your franchise, various playoff formats, news story images, and more. The list of improvements is long, but most of the changes are subtle. That said, the improvements haven’t broken anything and collectively improve every aspect of the game.

Presentation

In addition to the redesigned user interface mentioned above, everything has a cleaner and brighter look this year. Everything is logically placed; most names are links to deeper information. Again, long-time OOTP-users might need a bit of time to figure out where some options are.

One nice touch is the importable graphics, logos, and player faces that give everything an "almost-official" feel. These packages are found in a convenient online add-ons center. Once downloaded, they practically install themselves. This is a nice perk for those who like real logos, but aren’t able to spend the time customizing each team and park.

In-game, the actual gameplay visuals remain the same, with static player pictures and an animated ball. At some point, I think OOTP will need to include some basic player animations; however, most fans of the series probably see them as a bonus and not a requirement.

I did encounter a few graphical glitches that will most likely be patched (and may already be so by the time you read this). For a few games, I didn’t see the animated ball while managing a game. And using the fullscreen in Mac OS 10.7, I occasionally got a blank screen when app-switching.

Lasting Appeal

This game fully embodies the term “lasting appeal,” with so many ways to play and so many customizable options. Even playing the basic “MLB Quickstart’ (with 2012 rosters) multiple times will feel different, as each new play through will take on a life of its own. Online and historical universes add other ways to play, and you can import games saved in last year’s version.

I’ll quote myself from last year’s review: “OOTP continues to be a game with so many options that if you think ‘I wish it could do this,’ a little clicking and menu searching may prove that you can do it after all.” This sentiment stays true for OOTP 13, as does nearly all the praise I lauded onto OOTP 12.

Final Thoughts

Again, this should be an automatic buy for anyone with an ounce of baseball interest. My biggest complaint with OOTP 12 was its interface, which got an effective overhaul for OOTP 13. While it still has quite the learning curve, the manager home screen puts the important stuff (almost) all in one place. And new features, like Real-time Simulation and Interactive Storylines help create a deeper sense of immersion.

Learning Curve: A bit toned down due to refinements in the interface; still, it might take some work to fully understand all that you can do.

Visuals: Everything looks better this year, especially if you use the OOTP Dark skin. In-game animations remain the same.

Lasting Appeal: Again, you could play this until next spring and still not experience all the different ways to play. A true “sandbox” game.

Audio: In game audio adds some great ambiance and is really reactive to situations.

Realism: I haven’t found anything objective to complain about, though I got burned by bad scouting and bad trades that I initiated. Injuries seem toned down compared to last year.

Member Comments
# 21 bkrich83 @ 04/25/12 03:16 AM
After playing this for a few days, all I can say is wow. They really stepped up their game this year. So many little upgrades it's ridiculous.

# 22 Skyboxer @ 04/25/12 07:36 AM
Worth it if you have '12?

# 23 Brandwin @ 04/25/12 07:48 AM
Sky I bought it. LOL.

GUI upgrade is nice and RTS seems pretty cool so far. I don't think I played 12 enough to say its worth it to someone who played 12 a ton.

# 24 Skyboxer @ 04/25/12 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Sky I bought it. LOL.

GUI upgrade is nice and RTS seems pretty cool so far. I don't think I played 12 enough to say its worth it to someone who played 12 a ton.
I'll grab it eventually but can't at 30.00+ right now. Especially with DIABLOIII, Ghost Recon and Sniper Elite looming

# 25 jmount78 @ 04/25/12 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I'll grab it eventually but can't at 30.00+ right now. Especially with DIABLOIII, Ghost Recon and Sniper Elite looming
It is worth it for 13 and also, Best Buy has an extra 50% trade in credit if you reserve Ghost Recon. Hope that helps your financials out a bit as instead of gettting $18 for FIFA12, I got $24!

# 26 bkrich83 @ 04/25/12 12:59 PM
Quote:
Worth it if you have '12?
I can't say. I usually only get OOTP every couple of years, so I don't have '12. I can say it's a significant upgrade over '11 though.

# 27 Skyboxer @ 04/25/12 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmount78
It is worth it for 13 and also, Best Buy has an extra 50% trade in credit if you reserve Ghost Recon. Hope that helps your financials out a bit as instead of gettting $18 for FIFA12, I got $24!
Financials are fine but wife wouldnt be. We have a little deal about limits etc... Usually I sell games to add to my pot but the only games I have I plan on keeping always.
That along with golf (that means a lot more than games) is where most my pot goes toward.
I'm actually considering canceling Sniper Elite and picking it up used. Mainly as I am positive there will be used copies within a week or 2. Even more once Ghost drops.

# 28 cubsfan128 @ 04/26/12 08:06 AM
OOTP 13 is great! I highly recommend it to any baseball fans!

The great thing about OOTP is that you can actually build your team for decades as opposed to console games where you can basically only play a season or two.

Another great thing about OOTP is that you can actually interact with the developers and they actually listen to all the suggestions that are made!

# 29 Skyboxer @ 04/26/12 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan128
OOTP 13 is great! I highly recommend it to any baseball fans!

The great thing about OOTP is that you can actually build your team for decades as opposed to console games where you can basically only play a season or two.

Another great thing about OOTP is that you can actually interact with the developers and they actually listen to all the suggestions that are made!
Well to be fair, consoles are play games and not sim so yeah it takes longer and 2, SCEA absolutely listens to us and takes our input seriously.

# 30 geisterhome @ 05/03/12 05:23 AM
its with fake names?

# 31 tvman @ 05/03/12 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
its with fake names?
OOTP comes with real 2012 MLB roster, you do however need to d/l photo paks for player pics and real ballparks.

# 32 geisterhome @ 05/03/12 11:55 AM
sounds pretty awesome! ill give it a try then!

# 33 DETROITROB @ 05/03/12 11:56 AM
any idea how to get the parks in there? i downloaded the all in one pack and all i ever see is Citizens(philly)

# 34 cubsfan128 @ 05/03/12 12:22 PM
Quote:
Well to be fair, consoles are play games and not sim so yeah it takes longer and 2, SCEA absolutely listens to us and takes our input seriously.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Each game is amazing in it's own right. I just was saying that OOTP is nice because since it is a text-sim game you get to play out a lot of seasons. The Show's developers definitely are awesome! They interact with the fans of the game way more than any other console sports game out there!

# 35 tvman @ 05/04/12 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETROITROB
any idea how to get the parks in there? i downloaded the all in one pack and all i ever see is Citizens(philly)
I think there are some stadiums in the 2nd part of the all-in-one mod. I don't use the all-in-one for player photos though as they're the facegen models.

Check out this link,http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...es-photos.html i d/l the "mlb photos update" they are all high res photos. Follow the instructions in that thread on how to install. There are other stadiums out there as well.

# 36 SilentSanta @ 05/05/12 05:48 PM
I just bought the game yesterday and I am hooked. Crazy addicting.

I have a quick question though. Is there a way to make the games/season go by faster? What strategies do you guys use to make progress in a season? Ex. Sim 1 game, play the next, Sim 1 game, etc... Just curious. I guess I like seeing the call ups/prospects in the bigs and stuff.

# 37 ey215 @ 05/07/12 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSanta
I just bought the game yesterday and I am hooked. Crazy addicting.

I have a quick question though. Is there a way to make the games/season go by faster? What strategies do you guys use to make progress in a season? Ex. Sim 1 game, play the next, Sim 1 game, etc... Just curious. I guess I like seeing the call ups/prospects in the bigs and stuff.
It really varies user to user. OOTP gives you so many options that you can really tailor your experience how you want it to play out. I know a lot of guys sim a week or month and then play out the playoffs. If you like seeing prospects develop then a month at a time is probably a pretty good way to go.

Really it's down to personal preference and it's hard to give a straight answer.

# 38 joshuar9476 @ 05/21/12 10:16 PM
couple of questions ...

#1. Has anyone bought this for linux? If so, does it seem to be on par with the PC reviews?

#2. I bought ootp a few years back and can't remember if it's possible to act as GM/Manager yet have the day to day minor league operation taken care of. I don't really have the patience to micro manage every detail down to low A ball.

# 39 snepp @ 05/22/12 07:23 AM
1. There's really no effective difference between the PC/Linux/Mac versions, with one exception (licensing).

When you buy the game you get two licenses for installing the game on multiple machines. One version only works on Mac, but the other version can work on either PC or Linux. So if you buy the Linux version, you can use the license to install on a PC if you want/need to (or a 2nd linux machine).

2. Yes, you can delegate various combinations of minor league functions. You can set any or all of the following options to AI control:

a.) promotions and demotions
b.) lineups and depth charts
c.) signings and releases.

If you set all three the AI effectively controls 100% of your minor league system.

There are a couple of settings that can be used to override the AI decisions if you want a little control. You can lock a player into a minor league level, this will stop the AI from promoting or demoting them if you don't want them to (good for top prospects you want to manage yourself). You can also force the AI to start a player at a specific position (for forcing guys to learn new positions, or to get a guy into the lineup that the AI doesn't like for some reason).

# 40 joshuar9476 @ 05/22/12 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp
1. There's really no effective difference between the PC/Linux/Mac versions, with one exception (licensing).

When you buy the game you get two licenses for installing the game on multiple machines. One version only works on Mac, but the other version can work on either PC or Linux. So if you buy the Linux version, you can use the license to install on a PC if you want/need to (or a 2nd linux machine).

2. Yes, you can delegate various combinations of minor league functions. You can set any or all of the following options to AI control:

a.) promotions and demotions
b.) lineups and depth charts
c.) signings and releases.

If you set all three the AI effectively controls 100% of your minor league system.

There are a couple of settings that can be used to override the AI decisions if you want a little control. You can lock a player into a minor league level, this will stop the AI from promoting or demoting them if you don't want them to (good for top prospects you want to manage yourself). You can also force the AI to start a player at a specific position (for forcing guys to learn new positions, or to get a guy into the lineup that the AI doesn't like for some reason).
thank you for enlightening me

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.