Home
OS Scores Explained PES 2015 Overview (PS4)
Pros
Outstanding AI; Updated Player ID; Distinct Team Styles.
Cons
Stale Offline Modes; Lack of Stadiums; Scaled-down Edit Mode
Bottom Line
When it comes to action on the pitch, PES 2015 has no rival. Veterans of the series will be delighted as the familiar magic is back.
out of 10
PES 2015 REVIEW

PES 2015 Review (PS4)

It's been an interesting year for Konami's PES team. While EA rushed to harness the power of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with FIFA 14, Konami decided to release PES 2014 on the Xbox 360 & PS3 utilizing the critically acclaimed Fox Engine. Despite receiving numerous gameplay patches throughout the year, PES 2014 often felt more frustrating than fun. Those who stayed the course with PES 2014 were ultimately rewarded with the best gameplay since PES 2011.

As news began to emerge on PES 2015, the community remained cautiously optimistic as Konami boasted that this year, "The Pitch is Ours." It's a claim that the community had heard before and all signs were pointing towards a pivotal year for a franchise that has seen its market share decrease in Europe and the United States over the past few years.

With the release of PES 2015, Konami has attempted to re-embrace its roots, focusing its attention on what it does best: gameplay. Now that kickoff whistle has blown, it's time to take to the pitch and see how successful PES 2015 is this year at replicating the beautiful game.

Gameplay

While PES 2014 often gave users the feeling of playing against the game instead of playing with it, PES 2015 feels like a godsend with its newfound responsive controls. While some transitional animations could use attention, the clunky animations from a year ago have for the most part been smoothed out and when combined with the enhanced AI, help to recreate that long-lost PES magic.

PES has always been about creating that moment of magic, but it's the ebb and flow in between that attracts so many to the series. Build-up play has never been better as midfielders work to find space opening up passing lanes while defenders work tirelessly to close down space and passing angles. Football fundamentalists are rewarded for setting up their sides with instructions that carry over to the attack and defense due to the introduction of "Fluid Formations."

Dribbling has never felt better thanks to "Close Control" as you can now beat defenders without having to rely on a skill/trick move. A quick change of direction when combined with a speed burst (think Arjen Robben) is just as effective, if not more, than a series of stepovers (think Cristiano Ronaldo). Keepers, a weak point in the demo, were upgraded and now do a much job at parrying away from danger and stopping shots from tight angles.

While some of their animations could be sped up, gamers will notice some like Manuel Neuer of Bayern Munich sprinting out of their box to clear the danger. While the gameplay is very strong this year, there are still some areas which could use improvement such as fouls and a look at the stamina which depletes entirely too quickly.

It's puzzling that fouls aren't as prominent considering the last console patch for the PS3/XBOX 360 had a balanced amount of fouls. While it will take some time to get used to laying off the turbo button, stamina for wide position players (wingers and fullbacks) drains too quickly and often leaves them unavailable for consecutive matches in Master League.

Despite these issues, PES 2015 excels on the pitch offering gameplay that is not only rewarding but also strangely satisfying even if you're on the wrong side of defeat.

Game Modes

PES 2015 offers a variety of game modes capable of attracting your full attention. Series staples like Master League, League/Cup Mode, and Become a Legend all return. Fans can also play through several real-life tournaments such as the UEFA Champions & Europa Leagues, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamerica, and the AFC Champions League.

Once upon a time, Master League reigned supreme.

But now, from its outdated menus to its lack of innovative new features, Master League pales in comparison to FIFA's Manager Mode despite a few minor additions. As you take control of either a real life club or the default master league squad your virtual manager will sign a one year contract leaving you free to pursue other opportunities at the end of the year if you so please.

Adding players to your squad via the transfer market has been improved with the addition of terms such as appearance and goal bonuses to name a few. You can even add a player to help sweeten the deal. In my run through with Chelsea I found it too easy to acquire players as I was able to add Wayne Rooney after one negotiation and a modest offer of ~30 million sterling british pounds. One added bonus which has been in for years is the ability to actually look at player stats before targeting a player, a feature not available in FIFA unless he plays in the same league as you. 

Coach Mode has been introduced within Master League and is surprisingly well done. As the manager, you can set your lineup and watch your tactics play out in a camera of your choosing or go into a Football Manager-esque view with real-time stats to boot. Unfortunately, the immersion of Master League is tainted by a sim-engine bug which produces way too many goals in simmed CPU vs CPU matches. My simulation often saw score lines of 10-4 or 9-0 resulting in some obscene goal differentials at the end of the season.

My run through with Chelsea saw Manchester City win the League after scoring 192 goals with a +116 goal differential. While it will most likely be fixed with a patch, the bug should have been caught by the Konami's QA/QC Department. One saving grace was that the League Table looked very realistic with both Manchester Clubs, Chelsea, and Arsenal rounding out the Top 4 while Leicester, Burnley, and Aston Villa were relegated.

To put it bluntly, online play been a black eye for the franchise for some time now.

With the game still region-locked, North American users have often complained about the length of time they had to wait before finding a quick match. Once you enter the match the game suffers from the occasional lag albeit not as bad as years past. Hopefully as more people purchase the game more users will flood the servers decreasing wait times.

It's a shame because Konami's new online MyClub mode is really entertaining. Known formerly as Master League Online, MyClub allows you to build a club from scratch either through in-game earned points (GP) or the dreaded micro transactions. As you gain MyClub coins, you can increase the likeliness of grabbing a marquee player through your agent via the "wheel of fortune" draw. The randomness is a bit unrealistic yet oddly encapsulating as you wait in anticipation of who will be revealed. Even though the mode is in direct competition with FIFA's Ultimate Team, PES players have the ability to play offline vs the CPU who will use other player’s squads. I imagine it will be pretty fun to text a friend after you thrash his virtual squad in one of these matchups.

Visuals

With the power of next-gen consoles, PES fans expected to see a huge upgrade in 2015. Unfortunately, graphics are a mixed bag this year. While the PS4 is capable of 1080p, those on the Xbox One have to suffer through some jaggies as the game could only be optimized at 720p in order to maintain 60 frames per second. It's obvious that Konami spent a lot of time on player faces as those who are scanned look incredibly life-like. Those who didn't make the cut suffer at the hands of the generic preset faces (remember Rafael from 2014, yikes!). Body models and skin tones are generally OK although Konami could take the next leap and supplement them with real cloth-physics as shorts still look a bit off.

Edit Mode

Edit Mode was hailed as "Unlimited" but at the time of release it's anything but. Gone is the ability to upload images and the inability to transfer edit data makes next-gen option files impossible at this time. Stadium Editor, missing from 2014, was reintroduced but doesn't actually let you create any new stadiums, only edit areas like seat color and pitch length for example. In a game that is highly customizable it's a real shame that edit mode was stripped down. If you're willing to put in the time you can still obtain reasonably close kits and real stadium/manager names but option file makers really spoiled us over the years.

Presentation

Apart from the new tile menus, presentation hasn't seen a big overhaul. After the horrendous menus of PES 2014, Konami adopted more of a western approach as the windows based tiles were introduced for 2015. Users can now customize the front panel for quick access to their favorite modes.

The soundtrack is relatively small (10 songs) but contains some catchy songs from likes of Imagine Dragons and The Preatures. In-game presentation hasn't changed much as Champions League matches will still have the familiar anthem blaring during the pre-match entrance followed up by the official ball and overlays. Stat overlays are in the game but are too infrequent. The few stadiums that are in the game are replicated well with boisterous crowds that react to crunching tackles and near misses.

The commentary has always been pretty bad in PES as Jon Champion's patient style is tough to recreate in a video game as he often lets the game play out in real life without adding commentary. 

Final Thoughts

PES 2015 is a well done game on the pitch, and it doesn't do anything else particularly bad. While Master League needs some improvements, and online play could use a bit of modernizing -- the game itself is an incredible experience after kickoff. The additional licenses and graphical bump of next-gen make the game feel a bit more polished, but there are still rough edges. All in all though, that familiar PES magic is back this year.

Learning Curve – It takes a bit of time to get used to PES if you're a newcomer to the series, especially if you've migrated over from FIFA. Luckily a Skills Trainer is available to help hone your skills and up your comfort level.

Visuals – Up close, PES looks amazing as faces are so life-like that you'll want to warn your little ones when Ribery is on the TV. From far away the visuals can look washed out and in need of fine-tuning.

Audio – The commentary needs more lines as there is too much dead-air. Importing custom chants, a past feature, needs to be reintroduced.

Value – There's a plethora of game modes to showcase the beautiful AI and while the lack of licenses can be a turn-off for some, it can also help to expand your horizons as you play with clubs from leagues you're not as familiar with. New weekly updates and if history is any indicator, the game will receive patches (There's already one planned in December to add 5 stadiums and some more licensed clubs) addressing gameplay and other issues. The strong gameplay leads to that "One more match" feeling from years past.

Score: 8.0 (Great)

PES 2015 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 orion523 @ 11/23/14 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
1. PES 15 has teams with slow build up and teams with a faster one.
2. "..long balls across the pitch swung in from insane distance". Have you seen anything like this in FIFA 15?? (consoles version not the heavily modded pc one).

@Orion, KONAMI's football department is a small one. They have a limited amount of money and they can't beat EA providing a fully licensed game. That's never going to change. Also, I haven't seen anything wrong with the physics (ball or players). What do you think is wrong with the physics?
Master League ofc has many flaws, it isn't as shiny as EA's manager mode but it's playable. As long as the gameplay variation is there I'm able to "forget" all the presentation flaws. And gameplay is hands down the best ever in a football videogame. After dozens of games I'm still amazed with the cpu AI and the attacking variation I see in every match.
Finally, the game as I posted earlier is already fully licensed on PC. I know most people have the game on the new consoles but when they bought their new console they accepted Sony's and Microsoft's policy against any kind of modding.
the physics system in the game is clearly a generation behind, it's not bad so to speak, just archaic like the rest of the game. And that's my issue, sure gameplay is fantastic but you can't do anything with it. I cannot justify spending any of my time with any of the game modes because they fall short when compared to the other game. I mean I get some guys beef with FIFA, I do, when you watch videos of those UT/online Streamers the game looks terrible, but with a good set of sliders FIFA plays a really great game of football.

# 42 LingeringRegime @ 11/23/14 01:21 PM
I am enjoying the hell out of League Mode. I like it because it gives me a fix while I am working on my edits for Master League. I have nearly all in the Sky Bet Championship edited and then it is on to the Bundesliga.

# 43 kashik @ 11/23/14 02:35 PM
For me, I ordered PES with a general idea of what to expect as far as presentation and game modes go. PES was not going to come close to touching Fifa in these areas. EA has almost exclusively stuck to building the presentation and pick up ability of Fifa. Gameplay gets tweaked year to year (for better or worse), but it's obvious that their goal is to put out a great looking/sounding product that you can jump right in to and enjoy. PES on the other hand seems to have thrown the presentation out the door and stuck with bare bone game modes. I believe Konami were aiming to provide deeper and more complicated gameplay, which can be rewarding and long lasting in itself. If I had gone into ordering PES thinking Konami had similar aims as EA, I most definitely would be disappointed.

It is saddening not having such a full experience as Fifa, where most leagues are licensed and the commentary is great, but I can forgive to some extent; we cannot expect as much from a lower budget game. If we can separate our expectations a bit with both games, I think it would be easier to enjoy them both.

I've got both games on my PS4. When my friends come over this weekend for a round of 2v2 drinking Fifa, I won't even suggest PES. When I've got some more time to myself throughout the week, I'll be diving into PES.

# 44 fearwhatnow @ 11/23/14 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
the physics system in the game is clearly a generation behind, it's not bad so to speak, just archaic like the rest of the game. And that's my issue, sure gameplay is fantastic but you can't do anything with it. I cannot justify spending any of my time with any of the game modes because they fall short when compared to the other game. I mean I get some guys beef with FIFA, I do, when you watch videos of those UT/online Streamers the game looks terrible, but with a good set of sliders FIFA plays a really great game of football.
Again you're unable to provide a clear answer about the physics system. "Just archaic", what does that mean? After a week with the game I have seen a fantastic variety in goals and chances. You say gameplay is fantastic. Gameplay includes the physics system.
I don't want to defend PES 15 and especially KONAMI. You know I have provided a great set of sliders for the modded pc version of FIFA 15 but I feel it's time to get the facts right. PES 15 is more football than FIFA 15.

# 45 TX117 @ 11/23/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Nearly two weeks after release, and I'm still not sure how I feel. On the one hand, the CPU plays a smart, varied game that's a joy to behold. Unfortunately though that's where the 'joy" ends. Master League is laughable, unplayable even with 10-9 score lines, archaic menus, terrible transfer logic, pathetic commentary, and a dearth of licenses, that completely destroys any sense of immersion, and that's saying nothing about the complete lack of the Bundesliga which is arguably the greatest league in the world. BAL? Same problems. Online play? Awful. Physics? Yeah, awful. Season mode? Champions League? Everything is bogged down by poor design. So basically what we have is a great game of exhibition football. Yet somehow this game is getting insanely high reviews including the one here. Now I'm all for great gameplay, and I really do appreciate the strides that PES has made this year, but until they get it together and step it up everywhere else the game will remain second rate.
Would you recommend I wait till I can find it for a cheaper price? I already have FIFA and still want to keep it for online play but I really enjoy playing the CPU more in PES(from the demo at least)..I can't stand the bland,repetitive AI of FIFA.

# 46 orion523 @ 11/23/14 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
Again you're unable to provide a clear answer about the physics system. "Just archaic", what does that mean? After a week with the game I have seen a fantastic variety in goals and chances. You say gameplay is fantastic. Gameplay includes the physics system.
I don't want to defend PES 15 and especially KONAMI. You know I have provided a great set of sliders for the modded pc version of FIFA 15 but I feel it's time to get the facts right. PES 15 is more football than FIFA 15.
OK I'll spell it out. There is no foot planting, no step based locomotion, no inertia. When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to. Same with cutting and running. As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics. There are other issues as well on the pitch. Fouls are few and far between, the CPU tends to dribble excessively when it's near the 18 yard box, on the defensive end the flanks are defended at the expense of the middle of the field, I can go on, but I won't I'm not going to troll the thread. My point is PES is not worthy of the review scores it's received. The reviewers and fan boys are looking at the game through rose colored glasses, why" I don't know, nostalgia I guess. PES does ONE thing well, ONE. We all know what that is. Maybe that can carry the day for some, and that's great, it doesn't do it for me. And with that, I am out.

# 47 LingeringRegime @ 11/23/14 08:59 PM
You can shoot knuckle shots.

It's alright though. It takes time to learn a new control scheme. Lots of the motions are completely different than FIFA. More difficult to pull off. I prefer it that way.

I will say that PES practice skill game is alright, but it should go much deeper. The controls are very deep and different.

I am glad that we have two good games to choose from. Different strokes for different folks. Competition is good, without PES, FIFA wouldn't have improved so much in the past five years, and FIFA has also pushed the Konami developers this year. Everyone wins in the end. Be happy and enjoy your game of choice.

# 48 Battman @ 11/24/14 02:57 AM
Quote:
OK I'll spell it out. There is no foot planting, no step based locomotion, no inertia. When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to.
Not that I do not accept different opinions. But especially the second part of this sentence is simply not true and makes me wonder how many games you really played. If you shoot from the right side with a right footed player you see the appropriate result.
The collision detection, imo part of the physics engine, is much better in PES. In FIFA you have tons of stupid collisions between your own players. This is not the case in PES.
PES has a lot of weaknesses and the rating of 8 in OS is fair, maybe too high. But the FIFA rating of 9 and the love this game gets is beyond me. On the pitch FIFA is just plain awful. I could give you ( and already have given in other threads) a dozen of examples what FIFA does awfully wrong year in and out. Off the pitch it is much better than PES. But where are games decided? On or off the pitch?

# 49 Battman @ 11/24/14 03:43 AM
Quote:
As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics.
How do you play long high balls into the gap in FIFA?
Either you press the high ball button and (with all aims off) the ball will be too long as it has no (back)spin (or the keeper goes 25 meters out and gets the ball before you can touch it. Because in FIFA even the worst keeper has Manuel Neuer-like skills.). Or you play a high through ball (triangle +L1) which is too slow and too high and therefore not usable as a real through ball. In PES you can actually play good high passes into the gap. FIFA improved the ball physics so that shootings feels better than ever before in this series. But PES still feels better.

# 50 half-fast @ 11/24/14 10:33 AM
Quote:
When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to. Same with cutting and running. As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics. There are other issues as well on the pitch. Fouls are few and far between, :
I can see a lot of your points and agree, but the bit about shooting and passing is wrong. You can hit a varied amount of shots in PES, and they look great. I do like shooting in FIFA a little better, but passing ...... passing is better in PES hands down. Bent passes are my favourite, something I cant achieve very well in FIFA.

# 51 xicpanad @ 11/24/14 12:23 PM
Quote:
OK I'll spell it out. There is no foot planting, no step based locomotion, no inertia. When you go to pass/shoot the ball the position of your player matters not, the ball still goes where you want it to. Same with cutting and running. As for the ball, it remains tied to the players, its not its own entity with its own physics. There are no dipping, swerving, or knuckled shots. Passing, same deal. And that's just the physics. There are other issues as well on the pitch. Fouls are few and far between, the CPU tends to dribble excessively when it's near the 18 yard box, on the defensive end the flanks are defended at the expense of the middle of the field, I can go on, but I won't I'm not going to troll the thread. My point is PES is not worthy of the review scores it's received. The reviewers and fan boys are looking at the game through rose colored glasses, why" I don't know, nostalgia I guess. PES does ONE thing well, ONE. We all know what that is. Maybe that can carry the day for some, and that's great, it doesn't do it for me. And with that, I am out.
Ah come on Orion. I understand what your saying but somethings seem to show you still havenīt got the hang of everything in the game.
Iīve seen lots of swerve in pretty much every shot Iīve done, and itīs quite contextual. Try to run in a direction full sprint and shoot the other. Usually shot does swerve. I wish I had saved a shot I made this morning. Ball was falling and as soon as she bounced the grass, my player shoots. It was a beautifull effect as the ball rised fast and described an amazing diping curve, totally beating the keeper but it went wide, with the keeper just staring.

Thereīs alot of variation and somethings take time to show up. Donīt mean to judge your opinion as I actually agree with some things youīve said, but I also think that the bad things are making you forget the good ones.

# 52 orion523 @ 11/24/14 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
I can see a lot of your points and agree, but the bit about shooting and passing is wrong. You can hit a varied amount of shots in PES, and they look great. I do like shooting in FIFA a little better, but passing ...... passing is better in PES hands down. Bent passes are my favourite, something I cant achieve very well in FIFA.
Your not getting what I'm saying, the shots aren't physics based, so while there may be say knuckle shots in the game, they're random and have nothing to do with the way the ball was hit, just who hits it, and the dice roll.

# 53 half-fast @ 11/24/14 05:48 PM
Quote:
Your not getting what I'm saying, the shots aren't physics based, so while there may be say knuckle shots in the game, they're random and have nothing to do with the way the ball was hit, just who hits it, and the dice roll.
You're right, I did miss the point - my apologies.

This could be true. How have you come to that conclusion - observation, reading the code? ...

Also, I'm not sure how much it matters when I see EA manipulating their physics to give the bounces they want. Until I see true physics without manipulation for difficulty adjustment, I only care what looks/plays the best.

# 54 orion523 @ 11/24/14 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xicpanad
Ah come on Orion. I understand what your saying but somethings seem to show you still havenīt got the hang of everything in the game.
Iīve seen lots of swerve in pretty much every shot Iīve done, and itīs quite contextual. Try to run in a direction full sprint and shoot the other. Usually shot does swerve. I wish I had saved a shot I made this morning. Ball was falling and as soon as she bounced the grass, my player shoots. It was a beautifull effect as the ball rised fast and described an amazing diping curve, totally beating the keeper but it went wide, with the keeper just staring.

Thereīs alot of variation and somethings take time to show up. Donīt mean to judge your opinion as I actually agree with some things youīve said, but I also think that the bad things are making you forget the good ones.
Read the comment above. And remember, I do like the game, it is great fun on the pitch, I don't and never did deny that.

# 55 mjm76 @ 11/24/14 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast

How do you do "Bent passes"?
I must have missed that in the help sections and training????
Thanks

# 56 bjackets @ 11/25/14 02:02 AM
I can't play Fifa since playing PES. Outside of the Presentation, it is just plain stale. The player models have always seemed to small to me as well in Fifa. And the lack of control with the player you are controlling on defense is too pronounced. There aren't enough small movement animations on D which causes you to over run your angles to stay in front of your man. Now PES does have an issue with analog 8 directional control still being noticeable and there is the feeling of playing on these 8 rails. When you download the digital copy that feeling is hardly noticeable with the 2 teams you can play with while the download is completing, but for whatever reason it returns when the full game is finished downloading. I'm guessing this isn't what they intended. After playing Fifa that is the hardest part for me to accept. The other problem with Fifa and all EA sports games is that they basically program them all the same way. They use the same formula. All teams play the same but they just have different uniforms. Speed is always the most important attribute and none of the others have much impact. I think most people that like 2K, PES, etc enjoy them because an effort has been made to provide variety instead of the same canned coding that has gone on for years without any effort to provide more depth. Depth leads to variety which in turn gives the product longevity. I thought the review was on point. You aren't reviewing PES for fluff and conversely you aren't reviewing EA games for depth of gameplay. The companies have very different approaches to what they are trying to accomplish when making games.

# 57 kashik @ 11/25/14 03:13 AM
Speaking of the 8 directional control and the feeling on being on rails...

I don't actually feel the 8 directional control or your feeling that the intro game is diffeerent from the full game. I think what I'm feeling is more genuine, but can sometimes feel weird since Fifa is overly smooth. I begun to notice that the choppiness in the movement in PES seemed to correspond with foot placement and change of directions. Sometimes movements could be smooth, but other times jarring if the player was making a change of direction... Which I think is natural. if you think about your own movements as you dribble the ball, small movements to the sides can be smooth but change of directions or more drastic movements are not. Now I may be giving too much credit here, but so far I'm under this impression and quite like it as it seems natural.

As for the on rails feeling... Absolutely. Like when running to a through ball, loose ball, or holding x to close down on an attacker, the player is definitely locked in. To be fair, Fifa is very much the same way in through balls and loose balls. I would like to see this improved in both games... Maybe it could be an assist that could be turned down.

# 58 xicpanad @ 11/25/14 04:38 AM
Well I was a bit sceptic about this game but because I was playing the demo so many times, I bought it. At the beginning I played a couple friendlies and custom cups and started to think I did a bad choice, since I enjoyed fifa so much, and I was really immersed in its manager mode. But something kept me closer to PES everytime I wanted to play a soccer game.
Fifaīs replays are just so awesome at times, like real life, but feeling this PES in the midfield, passing short or long passes, its just amazing all the time. And the radomness of all things we do, its just almost overwhelming.

At first shots looked too easy and repetitive, but the more I play, the more variation I see. And also, people (me included) used to say on older PESīs, that buildups were varied, but only to realise it wasnīt after a good amount of games. But on this yearīs edition, I have never, ever done the same play twice. Not because I donīt want to, but because the way the match flows simply makes me look for diferent chances in every minute. When we realise, we just had a match with lots of variation and totally diferent from the previous one. Iīm really enjoying this one and getting the hang of it.

# 59 nunogomes @ 11/25/14 07:46 AM
Quote:
There is a special hability that some players have (C. Ronaldo for example) called Knucke Shot, and only these players can hit them consistently (if you time it correctly).

The ones who donīt have these special hability, have a much smaller time window AND the probability of the shot being well taken his much lower.

# 60 Beetlebum @ 11/25/14 12:10 PM
Orion, are you playing on manual or assisted shots?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.