Home
OS Scores Explained MLB 15 The Show Overview (PS4)
Pros
Directional hitting, franchise mode one of best in sports, beautiful graphics, immersive radio show.
Cons
Too few animations which recycle themselves, bad and boring commentary, changes to pure analog hitting.
Bottom Line
Another step forward for the series, some will fault the game for being too safe, but MLB 15 is a great experience for all baseball fans.
out of 10
MLB 15 The Show REVIEW

MLB 15 The Show Review (PS4)

MLB 15 The Show has the look, sound and feel of baseball. The Show doesn't do many things great -- part of SCEA's "if it's not broken, don't fix it" unwillingness to take big risks -- but it does just about everything really well. And in a world where games are shipping with just about nothing working as it's supposed to, it's a relief to say that MLB 15 The Show is about as rock-solid as it gets.

As it does every year, this year's iteration focuses on how to move forward without taking any steps back. Little things like improved grass patterns and adding swing animations don't stand out too much at first, but it brings the game's replayability to an all-time high. The same goes with its game modes, where simple changes should go a long way in keeping players invested in their franchise, or Road to the Show.

At the end of the day, MLB The Show is always going to be about the little things. And for this year, at the very least, that seems perfectly reasonable.

Gameplay

The most significant change to gameplay is the all new directional hitting. It still may be a bit early to count it as a success, but it's learning curve gives even the most veteran players a new feature to master. When used properly, there's an overwhelming sense of achievement, as the game isn't afraid to punish you for failure.

The same could be said about everything else in the game. Situational hitting and pitching is once again heart-pounding and sweat-inducing. The odds of making it out alive on an 0-2 count feel so terribly low that sometimes the user is bound to get itself out just by overthinking things. The opposite can be said of hitters counts: there's a general confidence that goes along with being in charge of a count, often winding up in a big hit. This is the dynamic that The Show has mastered over the years, and small tweaks like directional hitting only continue to liven it up.

That being said, there is one rather large, disappointment in terms of gameplay and controls. Pure analog has been practically cut in half, with players no longer being in control of the stride. For a series that prides itself on keeping old control schemes at the benefit of its user's comfort levels, this is a baffling move.

Another issue with MLB 15 The Show is that the same animations pop up far too frequently. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if all of these animations were fresh to the series, but about 90 percent of them have carried over from old titles. Seeing two plays back to back where my 250 pound first baseman makes the same fielding animation as my 170 pound shortstop is an immersion killer.

That said, there's a lot of good to be found in this year's gameplay. Quick counts work better than ever and games can still be completed in about half an hour without having to skip through cutscenes. Fielding A.I. is much improved, with better fielders taking a noticeably better route to balls than poor fielders. All the same, it isn't quite where it needs to be. Players are still far too passive, resulting in more infield singles than there should be.

Presentation

The mark of a good sports title is in its ability to engross its players into its universe. MLB The Show does a pretty good job of that, outside of bland commentary that still feels copy and pasted.

Despite Matt Vasgersian's best efforts, the commentary is still the worst in the sports genre. Karros and Lyons seem uninterested for 95 percent of the game, only to feel like it's Game 7 in October the rest of the 5 percent. Tacky one-liners and repeated lines make for some serious eye-rolling. Ultimately, players are going to want to turn commentary off for a large portion of their games, if not all of them. That said, Mike Carlucci makes his return as public address announcer and he's just as awesome as ever.

Most things related to presentation are much improved, however. For one, the game looks absolutely stunning. Player models aren't quite where they need to be but just about everything else is indistinguishable from real life. Stadiums look nearly perfect, with the only eye-sore being washed out text on some of the backstops. Even fans looks realistic, often having conversations with one another and frequenting the stairway as they go up to get concessions. It is clear from the get-go that SCEA wanted its players to feel more like they're at a baseball game, rather than watching one on television. The lone argument to this is a fantastic looking score bug in the upper-lefthand corner of the screen. That matched with the return of local broadcast camera angles while pitching is enough to make anyone feel right at home.

Equipment junkies will be extremely pleased with this year's game. Authentic gear has finally made its way to The Show and it does so commandingly. Several of baseball's biggest brands (Louisville Slugger, Nike, etc) are in the game and give you a variety of options to freshen up your player's look.

Game Modes

Franchise has slowly tweaked its way into being one of the best, if not the best, in the genre. Improved trade logic and contract signings go a long way, especially when you consider the tighter budgets that every team is working with. Team's are consistently looking to ditch bad contracts while also holding their big-name prospects close to the vest. An all new trade-finder is a nice little time saver for those who can't be bothered to go through every team trying to find the right trade. Though, there are still too few available offers - which is likely just a result of the game's strong trade logic. Teams have constantly changing trade mentalities, and that really comes through in MLB 15 The Show.

The new radio show is well implemented, and the perfect way for The Show to immerse its players into a long franchise. Here, repeated lines seem more more acceptable when you consider the wealth of information that Justin Allegri has to run through on a yearly (and often daily) basis. The biggest moves and previous day's stats are a staple of the show, and it allows players to really sink into the franchise without having to scroll though box scores and transactions every day. Hopefully the show will have a little more variety moving forward, but its a strong start.

Road to the Show doesn't see a lot of changes, but it continues to plop you down onto the baseball field with immense confidence in what it's trying to do. A continuing trend from last year's game, the audio is absolutely fantastic. The crunch of cleats atop the dirt as your player is desperately trying to make it safely to first is an unparalleled experience in the "be a pro" modes in today's sports genre. The commentary is still really bad, and frequently has bad cuts due to the way the mode simulates you forward, but here its easier to justify turning it off all together and just enjoying the sounds of The Show.

Online Play

Online play is much improved, with the sole exception of a still convoluted Online Franchise mode. There is much less lag than in previous years, and in ten online games or so, I haven't had a single one drop due to a bad connection. Online is still far from MLB The Show's strong suit, but it's good to see that SCEA has given it some attention. That said, it's still hard to get a competitive game going with online players. Opponents frequently will do things such as throwing right at your players, throwing all curveballs or sliders, and swinging at everything that moves on the opposite end. This isn't the game's fault, obviously, but it would be nice if there was a better way to connect with players who better intentions. With the rising number of users moving to online play almost exclusively, it seems like a strong bet that the game puts a more heavy focus on online modes in the future.

Bottom Line

MLB 15 The Show might be the perfect example of how small steps forward without changing the core experience is the best way to develop a series. There's little doubt that, sooner rather than later, SCEA is going to have to take some risks. Two years into the development cycle of the PS4, next year's game will have no excuse to have a variety of new additions on top of new animations.

But this year, the one that counts, the game can't be thought of as anything but a success. Fans of baseball are still in great hands with MLB The Show, and that's one thing I don't see changing anytime soon.

Score: 8.5 (Great)

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 hyacinth1 @ 04/06/15 06:54 PM
I wish they did some more modes or something new. I've done all the current modes in previous versions of the game. This probably goes for most sports games which have the same modes for the last 3-4 years. Feels like I'm playing the same old game.

# 22 jsquigg @ 04/06/15 07:44 PM
This game doesn't do many things great? Is the reviewer on crack? It's reviews like this that cause games to constantly revamp things and fix what isn't broken. The all new lighting is great. The all around game play is probably the best in next gen sports. They tweaked analog hitting and I get that that ticks people off. The presentation isn't mind blowingly perfect so I guess that could always be better. But to complain about petty stuff is ridiculous. The advantage of The Show is that they had a solid base and so far they haven't overhauled anything, but have consistently built off of that base as well as adding several options. I'll take that any day over games that constantly wipe the slate clean every few years only to change the fundamental way their games play, yet it seems reviewers reward games that go from crap to average more than games that maintain excellence. End rant.

# 23 ty5oke @ 04/06/15 07:44 PM
Commentary needs to be more dynamic. They seem to only have one-liners for certain players and hardly use the players real names when it comes to describing the action on the field.

Still not very happy with progression/regression in franchise mode. Gameplay is as solid as ever though and keeps me playing the game every year. Hope they add some more immersion aspects to offline franchise, radio show was a nice start. More stat overlays\discussions during a franchise game about the current year or previous years would be nice.

# 24 DukesofHazzard @ 04/06/15 07:45 PM
They also need to add waaaaay more mlb all time records and team all time records. Also having a top 100 in each of the all time categories like all time homerun leaders would be fantastic. Baseball is americas past time and all time records is a huge part of that.

# 25 Bobhead @ 04/06/15 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I never understand the phrase "take big risks to move forward. "

There isn't a whole lot that I would want to change to enjoy the game.

There is a saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Changing some of the game engines radically could destroy what we love about the game.

I'm hoping that they continue to add refinements and build the game modes to the next levels.
But you can take big risks without changing the game engine, by, for example, reinventing game modes, or trying something completely different as far as presentation goes.

To be clear, I'm not of the opinion that The Show hasn't done this already (Diamond Dynasty anyone? Seems like they took a pretty big risk there)...

But there certainly is a lot of room for "new" without alienating the sport or the fans.

# 26 BenGerman @ 04/06/15 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronoko
It's surprising to me this game currently stands at 75 at metacritic, but it's still early. I don't see how anyone can play this with all it has to offer and come away thinking it's not at least in the 80s.
It's because most gaming websites don't have writers who understand sports. They frequently rate Madden higher than The Show.

Edit: Also, thanks for the kind words, guys.

# 27 tabarnes19_SDS @ 04/06/15 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
But you can take big risks without changing the game engine, by, for example, reinventing game modes, or trying something completely different as far as presentation goes.

To be clear, I'm not of the opinion that The Show hasn't done this already (Diamond Dynasty anyone? Seems like they took a pretty big risk there)...

But there certainly is a lot of room for "new" without alienating the sport or the fans.
I'm not disagreeing with you on expanding game modes. I just do not want to see the game play changed to add gimmicky approaches that please the change for change sake crowd.

I'm hoping for the year where franchise mode gets the resources to make the next big jump. I believe it was 09 that the franchise mode took a huge leap with waiver trades, rule 5, etc. I want the next leap as well. Expand on what's there and add new things and take franchise mode to another level.

# 28 Mad dog 31 @ 04/06/15 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
I still laugh when people talk about the commentary being boring and stale. I play countless hours of The Show, NBA 2k, Madden, and NHL every year and it's all the same. All of the commentary in these games gets old rather quickly. I think it's just extremely difficult to get enough lines in and make it dynamic enough to sound like real commentary.

To me, the only way commentary in these games can be bad is if the commentators they use sound really irritating. Gus Johnson annoyed me to no end when he was in Madden ("and he's down... AT THE 19!!").

As for other things mentioned... I love the way they make a lot of steady improvements every year. Each year is always a lot better than the last. I'm hoping the next thing they focus on (aside from game modes, which I think are always improving) is improving the player models. Uniforms/body types/faces/animations (which are getting better). They already added in new skin tones so they may start heading in this direction. MLB 15 will definitely be my go to game until the end of summer at the earliest... just a fantastic baseball sim
This is a perfect synopsis of what makes The Show awesome.

# 29 majestic @ 04/06/15 08:52 PM
Quote:
Player models are the one thing that still seriously lacks in The Show. Not sure that re-doing them could break any other parts of the game though. It might not even be risky other than using time and resources for that instead of improving something else.
Totally agree on the player models. They are good, but in a game that has so many other details so realistic, it can be jarring to see a plastic or cartoonish-looking face, or a neck that warps oddly when the head turns, or the way a pitcher's hair doesn't move when he lifts the cap too-smoothly off his head. These are all tiny details, but it's a testament to how good this game is with all the other little details that these moments stick out.

And let's be honest, as amazing as the crowds and the stadiums look, when we're playing the game we spend most of our time staring at the players. If they take a big step forward with the realism of the player models --- without breaking anything else --- it will have a huge impact on our experience of the game.

It may seem to be ungrateful to ask for more from a game that already looks so great, but games like NBA2K and EA's UFC have raised the bar for how realistic humans can look in a next-gen sports game; in this area, MLB:The Show is still lagging a little behind.

# 30 KennyJ1976 @ 04/06/15 09:35 PM
I'm guessing this reviewer has never played PES before if he thinks this commentary is the worse in the sports genre.

# 31 Bobhead @ 04/06/15 09:37 PM
Literally reviewing a game you haven't played yet?

Come on...

# 32 Knight165 @ 04/06/15 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Literally reviewing a game you haven't played yet?

Come on...
...and is just flat out wrong on a few of his talking points!

M.K.
Knight165

# 33 japinard @ 04/07/15 12:41 AM
Quote:
I still laugh when people talk about the commentary being boring and stale. I play countless hours of The Show, NBA 2k, Madden, and NHL every year and it's all the same. All of the commentary in these games gets old rather quickly. I think it's just extremely difficult to get enough lines in and make it dynamic enough to sound like real commentary.

To me, the only way commentary in these games can be bad is if the commentators they use sound really irritating. Gus Johnson annoyed me to no end when he was in Madden ("and he's down... AT THE 19!!").

As for other things mentioned... I love the way they make a lot of steady improvements every year. Each year is always a lot better than the last. I'm hoping the next thing they focus on (aside from game modes, which I think are always improving) is improving the player models. Uniforms/body types/faces/animations (which are getting better). They already added in new skin tones so they may start heading in this direction. MLB 15 will definitely be my go to game until the end of summer at the earliest... just a fantastic baseball sim
NHL, FIFA, and 2k NBA commentary are a billion times better and more varied than the stale effort they've made in this game. Ironically commentary form baseball is leagues easier to do than in those games so it kind of amplifies the law bar set in The Show.

# 34 Smallville102001 @ 04/07/15 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
While I agree that a complete overhaul isn't necessary this game has gone from an annual purchase to one that I'll buy every 2-3 years. I'd like to see them do something to justify shelling out another $60 each year other than just minor adjustments.

Most sports games are minor adjustments form year to year like 90% of the time and this game already plays so great that it is going to be hard to have a big jump compared to the another sports games out there.

# 35 Smallville102001 @ 04/07/15 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
It's because most gaming websites don't have writers who understand sports. They frequently rate Madden higher than The Show.

Edit: Also, thanks for the kind words, guys.

Madden has been way way overrated since like madden 07 and mlb has been way underrated.

# 36 Syce @ 04/07/15 03:59 AM
i like the paragraph about online play, while i have had difference experiences with connections, the opposing player sounds about right, too many play the game like its a arcade game. im more of a simulation type player so going up against players who act ******** to win just turns me away from online games mostly. its probably why i usually will only play online to play in a simulation online league where there are rules and people play the game more like it should.

# 37 Factzzz @ 04/07/15 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic
And let's be honest, as amazing as the crowds and the stadiums look, when we're playing the game we spend most of our time staring at the players. If they take a big step forward with the realism of the player models --- without breaking anything else --- it will have a huge impact on our experience of the game.

It may seem to be ungrateful to ask for more from a game that already looks so great, but games like NBA2K and EA's UFC have raised the bar for how realistic humans can look in a next-gen sports game; in this area, MLB:The Show is still lagging a little behind.
This is what i've been saying since last year,

the players are the center of attention when it comes to graphics for sports games, no matter how you spin it. This is why some people still say the game looks the same as the ps3 version.

And for the player models to be minimally touched since the introduction of the ps4, is pretty bad IMO. Compared to the two games mentioned, NBA 2k and EA UFC, the Show's player models are not where they should be.

With that said, the first two years on ps4, they've done an excellent job with the stadiums, even though they still don't have domed versions of the retractable roof stadiums somehow, so now hopefully they focus more on the players next year.

# 38 CaseIH @ 04/07/15 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I never understand the phrase "take big risks to move forward. "

There isn't a whole lot that I would want to change to enjoy the game.

There is a saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Changing some of the game engines radically could destroy what we love about the game.

I'm hoping that they continue to add refinements and build the game modes to the next levels.

Yep, I agree, just look at what NBA2k typically does each yr they try to add a bunch of new stuff, only to have important modes practically unplayable because of bugs they cant or wont fix. Madden typically screws thing up too each yr.

MLBTS is the only sports game you can count on yearly to be playable early on in the season. Other games sometime stay broke the whole season with so many issue to key modes. Reason why I will buy MLBTS day1, even though I typically don't play it much till OSFM rosters comes out because I know they don't screw things up so bad.

I hope these devs don't fall forth few who whine about not enough new features each yr, or big changes. Ill take a slow improvement that done right from the get go.

# 39 Armor and Sword @ 04/07/15 08:00 AM
8.5 - MLB 14 The Show PS4

8.5 - MLB 15 The Show PS4

Now don't get me wrong. 8.5 is super strong. But this years game oozes improvements under the hood that were immediately noticeable. Base runner speed differential, outfielder speed differential, ball spins and breaks, ball physics 4.0. Being able to the ball off your bat was a huge immersion addition IMO. Licensed equipment is massive for immersion. It looks amazing.

But let's talk about what IMO pushes the game to at least a 9.

Online and Diamond Dynasty and manual fielding.

Yes that's right. Online is working. At least for me thus far it has been excellent. I played two online franchise games last night without a hitch. Being able to finally play in 30 man league is a dream and is going to tai this game to a new level for me. While I love my offline franchise, and believe me I will still play it hardcore. Playing online in a sim league with mature players plus the addiction that is now Diamond Dynasty, this game is not leaving my console.

Fielding on this game has finally made the jump I had been waiting for since I started playing the series. And even though I auto field and manual throw on my offline franchise's and classic season replays (for player rating statistical integrity), I love to field now on The Show and am playing online like a monster because fielding is smooth, responsive and down right amazing. FINALLY!!!

I am serious.

I have shelved NBA2K15 and Madden 15. I seriously don't see myself touching those save for an occasional change of pace. Online is working and working well for the most part. At least for me and a ton of my league mates so far.

This game is certainly better than 14 on a lot of levels. It's not perfect. And I don't agree with some presentation design decisions which I have noted in my impression post so no need to re-hash it.

But this is a much better game overall than 14 and deserves the perception of that with at least a 9....not the same score as last years port.

# 40 Blazzen @ 04/07/15 08:28 AM
Good review.

The Show is consistently good. It's the best sports franchise period. It's a TRUE SIMULATION unlike other games (cough MADDEN cough) that claim to be a simulation but are more like an arcade game.

Long live THE SHOW!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.