Besting The Jordan Challenge (Part 1)

The Arrival
April 20, 1986 @ Celtics
Game 2, Eastern Conference First-Round Playoffs

First Round
Score 63+ Points
Shoot 50%+ from the field
Record 6+ assists

In your original Air Jordan Nikes, assume the role of a young Michael and take advantage of Jordan’s athletic prowess (97 speed, 99 dunk rating). Jordan in '85 is unstoppable on the wings.

Jordan’s arrival in the Boston Garden landed him against one of the most formidable teams of all-time: Bird, McHale, Parish, DJ and Ainge. These guys were known for their gritty defense and basketball IQ. Jordan countered by out-muscling, out-smarting and just being flat out more talented than anyone else on the court.

Young MJ is athletically gifted to say the least. Use your hops to intimidate and dominate at the Boston Garden.

Much like Derrick Rose’s current skill set, young MJ is explosive but with a jumper that has yet to be mastered. Use the simple "quick isolation" set with MJ at the top of the key and go to work to get high-percentage shots near the hoop.

At some point, move Jordan to the point-guard position, and you will have a favorable matchup against a smaller Dennis Johnson. Tap turbo off a hesitation dribble (initiated by flicking the left trigger/L2), and you will get the get the step on your defender more times than not. When the rugged Boston help defense arrives, simply kick to your shooters for quick assists.

Another key move involves pulling back on the left stick while in Isomotion (hold down L2/left trigger to initiate the Isomotion) and flash the through-the-legs signature dribble. From there, read the defense and attack whatever part of the lane is open before finishing with a shot-stick layup. MJ has the hang time to score on any defender.

69 Points
March 28, 1990 @ Cavaliers
Regular Season Game

Score 69+ points
Shoot 50%+ from the field
Record 6+ assists
Win the game

While many obviously remember Jordan’s emphatic game-winning shot over Craig Ehlo in the first round of the playoffs -- a shot that some say changed the course of basketball history -- this 69-point outburst actually came a year later.

Poor Ehlo. This shot was just the beginning of the torture. The encore was 69 points during a regular-season game the following year.

Jordan has a better outside shot at this point, so the free-throw line extended is where you will work this time around. If you use the momentum jumpers (move one way before pressing the right stick in one of four different directions), you really should have no problem scoring at will. Essentially, you should really be able to sit back and enjoy the beauty of the swish because Jordan’s shot off the dribble rating is 95 this time around.

Also, don't forget to utilize your trusted sidekick Scottie Pippen. Hit Pippen on some quick-release screens for some assists -- just use the basic quick screen play. Pippen’s shot motion is short so be prepared for that as well. Pippen’s size also allows him to easily shoot over some of the smaller perimeter defenders. In other words, don’t be afraid to let shots fly.

Shootout
Any 1990 Game vs. Hawks
Regular Season Game

Outscore Dominique
Hold Dominique to under 25 points
Record 5+ assists
Win the game

Air Jordan vs. The Human Highlight Film, Dominique Wilkins. These two elevated the dunk contest to new heights. However, this showdown is all about defense.

Show off your footwork with some tight defense against a prolific scorer in Dominique Wilkens. Under coach settings, click on high pressure and tight perimeter defense. If 'Nique is still able to score on you, go ahead and send another defender his way (hold L1/left bumper for the double team).

You'll also have to dig in to those red and black Air Jordan 5’s of yours while holding the (L2/left trigger) to stay low. You can also quickly change directions and cut off passing lanes by tapping the turbo button. This will plant your Nike’s firmly into the wood grain floor and allow for easier foot pivots and changes of direction.

Bad Boys
May 26, 1990 vs. Pistons
Game 3, Eastern Conference Finals

Score 47+ points
Record 4+ assists
Win the game

Authors of the Jordan Rules, the 1990 Detroit Pistons squad symbolized the best of the best in the Eastern Conference for many years. Jordan and his Bulls eventually vanquished the Pistons, but it did not happen in these playoffs. Still, even though 1990 was not the Bulls' year, Jordan did still destroy the Pistons in Game 3.

When you are defended by an explosive, youthful Joe Dumars, rise up and shoot over him. Dumars' perimeter defense (A) matched with his speed will be tough to drive on. If you do choose to drive, Jordan can finish over the smaller Dumars, who stands at 6-foot-3, 190 pounds.

When the Jordan Rules come into play, you will see some double teams headed towards you. Escape out of double teams with a hesitation dribble to the outside hips of the defenders. Once free, drive the lane for the jam or find the open man to add to your assist totals.

1991 NBA Finals
June 2-June 12 vs. Lakers

Avg. 31+ points
Avg. 55%+ from the field
Avg. 11+ assists
Win the series

Legend after legend, Jordan and the Bulls bested them all. The 1991 NBA Finals were no exception; Magic Johnson and the Los Angeles Lakers had to fall.

Oh stop it MJ, it's not like this is the only championship you win.

You now have Jordan’s full arsenal of moves: the signature Jordan fade-away jump shot, the 3-ball (74 rating), his dominant defense (A+), an unmatched basketball I.Q. (A+), and the ability to finish in the lane over the best defenders the game has to offer (99 rating).

Start with the mid-range and post-up game. This will keep your field-goal percentage high. Move Michael into space, and start using your advanced lay-up modifiers. Attack defenders straight-on in the paint. Hammer the left stick to the left or right while flicking the Shot Stick (right stick) in any direction. You should be able to spin and Euro step through the Lakers defense with masterful layups.

To really hammer the point home (and re-create a classic play), drive by holding turbo with the ball in your right hand while attacking the right side of the rim; in mid-air, move the shot stick to the left, switching hands in mid-air for Jordan’s "spectacular move" in the lane.

The baseline is also your friend during this series. Attack the rim with the blow by (tap R2/right trigger) and move the Shot Stick towards the baseline. Jordan will soar with grace up and under, kissing it off the glass with a reverse layup.

If you're scoring enough during this series (and there's no excuse not to), the assists will come easy once the double teams start. This Bulls team is loaded with guys who can stick shots from deep, so just be patient and hit the open man.

These rules will guide you through the first set of challenges. Check back tomorrow with Operation Sports for part two of the Jordan Rules, outlining the final five Jordan Challenges.

If you need more tips completing these challenges, contact me directly on Playstation Network: sB414, or on Twitter @Hurricane414.

NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DJ @ 05/24/11 11:15 AM
Good stuff. I really enjoyed playing thru the Jordan Challenge. I've been thinking about trying it again on a higher difficulty, as the first time was just on the default difficulty, which I believe was PRO.

# 2 aloncho11 @ 05/24/11 11:21 AM
The default settings are Pro with default sliders, both free-throw and normal shooting set at shot stick timing.

One of the most fun and challenging of all is the 1991 NBA Finals one

# 3 DJ @ 05/24/11 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
The default settings are Pro with default sliders, both free-throw and normal shooting set at shot stick timing.

One of the most fun and challenging of all is the 1991 NBA Finals one
I was a huge Lakers fan during that time (Magic is my all-time favorite player), so having to beat LA and Magic tough emotionally for me to do, lol. As for the actual challenge, I thought that one was pretty easy.

Part II of this article will highlight the ones I struggled with.

# 4 ChaseB @ 05/24/11 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I was a huge Lakers fan during that time (Magic is my all-time favorite player), so having to beat LA and Magic tough emotionally for me to do, lol. As for the actual challenge, I thought that one was pretty easy.

I think the only one I struggled with on default was holding Nique under 25. He would weasel points at the last possible moments in the 4th.

# 5 DJ @ 05/24/11 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think the only one I struggled with on default was holding Nique under 25. He would weasel points at the last possible moments in the 4th.
Interesting to hear which challenge other people struggled with. I just matched up Pippen on 'Nique and had him play tight and would double if 'Nique was in the post. Another good tip for that one is to try and get 'Nique in foul trouble; try posting up Pippen or running some iso's for him and drive to the basket and try and draw contact. 'Nique can't score if he's not on the court.

The other challenge I really struggled with at first was "The Arrival." That was due to me leaving substitutions on AUTO; Jordan winds up going to the bench a few times during the game, making it very tough to get the 63 points.

# 6 SBartlett @ 05/24/11 12:27 PM
I had a good amount of trouble with the Last Dance, getting 4 steals. I found the Jazz to kill you with ball movement, especially if you gamble.

# 7 TalenT @ 05/24/11 12:38 PM
Quote:
This! Dominique can flat out score the basketball. The time before I actually completed this challenge he scored his 25th point with 5 seconds to go. I was hot!

# 8 RUFFNREADY @ 05/24/11 04:16 PM
@DJ thanks for the tips. I will apply this technique on the Original hight reel himself Mr D. Wilkins.
cheers

# 9 nickjamesm7 @ 05/24/11 09:23 PM
My toughest challenge will be highlighted in part two... When Jordan was sick... I mean Ill... I mean physically unhealthy

# 10 aloncho11 @ 05/24/11 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ

Well I didn't actually struggled with this one...the hard thing to was average 11+ assist per games with MJ. I remember one game I think it was game 4 were I had to dish 22 assists so I could get my average up

# 11 aloncho11 @ 05/24/11 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Interesting to hear which challenge other people struggled with. I just matched up Pippen on 'Nique and had him play tight and would double if 'Nique was in the post. Another good tip for that one is to try and get 'Nique in foul trouble; try posting up Pippen or running some iso's for him and drive to the basket and try and draw contact. 'Nique can't score if he's not on the court.
You know I never struggled in this challenge but did the same thing on "The Shrug" against Drexler to hold him under 20 points>Pippen on him, play him tight and post him up with MJ trying to get him into foul trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
The other challenge I really struggled with at first was "The Arrival." That was due to me leaving substitutions on AUTO; Jordan winds up going to the bench a few times during the game, making it very tough to get the 63 points.
Strange. I thought MJ was set to play every single minute on the court if I'm correct...even when he's fatigued he remains on the court.

"The Arrival"... I found that name much more suitable for his first game at MSG (rock the cradle) . For some reason I also associate "Last Dance" more to his final game at MSG in 1998 (Bulls rocking the black jerseys and MJ the AJ1) 2k12 maybe?

Anyway, back on topic

# 12 Yrogergj24 @ 05/25/11 07:31 AM
If you guys want to do good on those "Hold X to Y points or less", before the game, just go the rotation screen and take them out of the line up and distribute the points however you wish, then they can't go in the game.

# 13 DustinT @ 05/25/11 12:47 PM
Quote:
Same here. The guy would just wind up with 27-28-29 every time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.