PDA

View Full Version : Cederic Benson Holdout

albionmoonlight
08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Looks like it has reached the really nasty stage. While I am sure that this will all be resolved before he has to reenter the draft, I had a sense that he would be trouble when I saw him at the draft. Someone from ESPN interviewed him after he was picked and he just seethed with anger at the whole draft process and what he felt was undue poking and prodding by the teams deciding whether to draft him. Didn't seem like a real happy camper.

I have nothing against Bears fans, but I kind of hope that he stays held out now. I've never seen a top pick re-enter the draft, and it would be kind of interesting to see that play out. Besides, I think that Thomas Jones will be just fine this year.

timmynausea
08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
He did seem pretty upset at the draft.

Icy
08-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Why is he holding out? i haven't read about it yet.

Raiders Army
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I think that Mike Williams has set a precedent. He only played for a couple of years at USC, didn't play at all last year, and was still picked top 10 in the draft. Even Maurice Clarett got picked in the third round. Benson could sit a year and hope to get picked by a better team.

That being said, Mike Williams played a "good guy" the past year at USC. He didn't complain, etc., which I'm sure was attractive for NFL teams. Benson, on the other hand, could potentially be another Ricky Williams or Terrell Owens.

gstelmack
08-25-2005, 10:29 AM
He did seem pretty upset at the draft.
He was pretty upset that he was being compared to Ricky Williams. Then he goes and acts like him http://dynamic.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Lathum
08-25-2005, 10:30 AM
what's up with texas running backs?

Raiders Army
08-25-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't remember a cover with him dressed up in a wedding gown.

albionmoonlight
08-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Why is he holding out? i haven't read about it yet.
Money.

Huckleberry
08-25-2005, 10:33 AM
The dumbest thing about all this is people saying he's acting like Ricky Williams. Williams signed a ridiculously cheap contract where he would have had to have been an All-Pro to see any good money with the Saints.

Benson is doing the exact opposite.

stevew
08-25-2005, 10:38 AM
How far apart is he with the Bears? If they are offering like 10 million in guarantees, and you think you're worth 18 million, its one thing, but if the difference is only a few 1-2 million, sign the damn contract and play by now. You lose more money by not playing in the long run.

I think the real problem is benson's agent, who is also Hines Ward's agent. This guy wants to be Rosenhaus, but he aint. Apparently his holdout bullshit got a good contract for Andre Wadsworth a few years back, and he thinks it will work again.

albionmoonlight
08-25-2005, 10:44 AM
The dumbest thing about all this is people saying he's acting like Ricky Williams. Williams signed a ridiculously cheap contract where he would have had to have been an All-Pro to see any good money with the Saints.

Benson is doing the exact opposite.
I agree. Had he played for any school other than Texas, the Ricky comparisions would not be out there. It is a very superficial connection.

Honolulu_Blue
08-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Poor the Bears. First they lose Grossman and now they are embroiled in a nasty contract dispute with their first round pick. This is sad. I can barely hold back the tears. I feel so terrible for them. However will I go on?

CraigSca
08-25-2005, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about Benson - if he's good enough, people will forget he held out like this and consider him god, just like John Elway. And no, I still haven't forgiven that jerk.

Pumpy Tudors
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
John Elway
Yeah, I hate that bastard, too.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9053/bronco.jpg

Solecismic
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm sure he's read the studies that show that a RB's career is much shorter than that of any other position, and it's based on number of carries. So he probably figures a holdout causes very little long-term damage.

Maybe he's looking at the 2006 draft, comparing himself favorably to DeAngelo Williams, and thinking he'll go #3, behind Leinart and Ferguson.

MrBug708
08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Not a chance Bensen would go 3rd next year. Not with Reggie Bush/Lendale White coming out

Honolulu_Blue
08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
To look on the bright side (which I hope there isn't one), Barry Sanders didn't sign his first contract until like a few days before the first regular season game. He had a decent career. All is not lost (though I hope it is).

rkmsuf
08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
not only that but are you going to take a guy like that and jeopardize a first round pick on a position that really isn't in high demand

rexallllsc
08-25-2005, 11:38 AM
what's up with texas running backs?

They get their ass-kissed for years and it spoils them.

nilodor
08-25-2005, 11:57 AM
How far apart is he with the Bears? If they are offering like 10 million in guarantees, and you think you're worth 18 million, its one thing, but if the difference is only a few 1-2 million, sign the damn contract and play by now. You lose more money by not playing in the long run.

I think the real problem is benson's agent, who is also Hines Ward's agent. This guy wants to be Rosenhaus, but he aint. Apparently his holdout bullshit got a good contract for Andre Wadsworth a few years back, and he thinks it will work again.

I don't remember the numbers exactly but from what I've heard it works out that the guy picked ahead of him is getting 16 million, the guy behind him is getting 14 million and the bears are offering 15 million.

The hold out is because Benson wants to be slotted off what Phillip Rivers received last year, which is stupid because quarterback are not counted in slotting. The other reason that has been floating around is benson is worried that this will be his only chance at a big contract because of what happened to Edge and Alexander, where their teams said that they were too old to get big money over a long term deal.

moriarty
08-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't remember the numbers exactly but from what I've heard it works out that the guy picked ahead of him is getting 16 million, the guy behind him is getting 14 million and the bears are offering 15 million.

The hold out is because Benson wants to be slotted off what Phillip Rivers received last year, which is stupid because quarterback are not counted in slotting. The other reason that has been floating around is benson is worried that this will be his only chance at a big contract because of what happened to Edge and Alexander, where their teams said that they were too old to get big money over a long term deal.

Damn, 15 million sounds like 'big money' to me ...

dixieflatline
08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
The other reason that has been floating around is benson is worried that this will be his only chance at a big contract because of what happened to Edge and Alexander, where their teams said that they were too old to get big money over a long term deal.

To expand on this. From what I hear(semi-inside source) they are fairly close on total money but not close on the distribution of the funds and also not close on the length of the contract. Benson is looking for a 4 year deal tops and the bears want 5 years. Part of the reason Angelos came out last week and said they weren't going to give him more money than their current offer is because he knew they were close on that front and could say that to look tough.

stevew
08-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Edge and Alexander are still making, what, like 8 million this season each? Obviously not as good as having a 4-5 year deal with major bonus's, and little chance of being cut due to a massive cap charge.

Galaxy
08-25-2005, 02:35 PM
The NFL needs to take a page from the NBA and have rookie contracts set.

mhass
08-25-2005, 02:44 PM
$17 million guaranteed is the current offer.

HomerJSimpson
08-25-2005, 02:45 PM

Agreed.

Coffee Warlord
08-25-2005, 02:46 PM

Supposedly this will happen (at least, it's moderately likely) in the next CBA.

rkmsuf
08-25-2005, 02:49 PM
$17 million guaranteed is the current offer.

OH, IT'S A PROFIT DEAL!!

bhlloy
08-25-2005, 02:51 PM
As long as that's all they take from the NBA I'd be ecstatic.
I wonder what effect it would have on the overall standard of play in the league as I bet every year very serviceable veterans get cut to fit a higher priced rookie into the team. Or is that overestimating things?

HomerJSimpson
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
As long as that's all they take from the NBA I'd be ecstatic.
I wonder what effect it would have on the overall standard of play in the league as I bet every year very serviceable veterans get cut to fit a higher priced rookie into the team. Or is that overestimating things?

Not really. I don't imagine that the CBA cap for rookies would be low enough to make much of a difference on that. I would guess it would be the same kind of money that rookies are getting now per year, save maybe shorter contracts to allow them to negotiate a new contract earlier. It will at least prevent hold-outs in the rookies first camp (which basically is one of the most important camps of a players career).

gstelmack
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Not really. I don't imagine that the CBA cap for rookies would be low enough to make much of a difference on that. I would guess it would be the same kind of money that rookies are getting now per year, save maybe shorter contracts to allow them to negotiate a new contract earlier. It will at least prevent hold-outs in the rookies first camp (which basically is one of the most important camps of a players career).
Note that there is ALREADY a rookie cap that limits how much each team can spend. The problem (?) right now is that teams have discretion on how to divvy that pool money up among their picks, which leads to some picks making outrageous demands. Teams don't have the flexibility they used to, but the players do.

I'd love to see a formalized slotting system that specified exactly how much and for how long each pick's contract is. There is already an informal system that works well for most picks, but a handful of bad apples mess it up. Formalize it and not much will change except that a handful of the bad apples (say, Philip Rivers last year) will just sign the contract, while whiners like Benson can still choose not to sign and wait for next year's draft to hope a better situation comes along.

HomerJSimpson
08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Note that there is ALREADY a rookie cap that limits how much each team can spend. The problem (?) right now is that teams have discretion on how to divvy that pool money up among their picks, which leads to some picks making outrageous demands. Teams don't have the flexibility they used to, but the players do.

I'd love to see a formalized slotting system that specified exactly how much and for how long each pick's contract is. There is already an informal system that works well for most picks, but a handful of bad apples mess it up. Formalize it and not much will change except that a handful of the bad apples (say, Philip Rivers last year) will just sign the contract, while whiners like Benson can still choose not to sign and wait for next year's draft to hope a better situation comes along.

Ummm...I know about the cap "pool", and what you are describing is what we were talking about. If the money was officially "slotted," I really doubt players like Benson would be willing to sit a year.

rkmsuf
08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Ummm...I know about the cap "pool", and what you are describing is what we were talking about. If the money was officially "slotted," I really doubt players like Benson would be willing to sit a year.

I don't see the problem. If he sits the year there is no way he get's close to the current offer next year. He's a nutball if he sits out and the Bears saved themselves 15 million bucks.

gstelmack
08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Okay. It looked like you were discussing possibly having rookies get less money, and I don't think that's the case.

Raven Hawk
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
This guy's a jackass. Trade him. Trade him now.

Coffee Warlord
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
This guy's a jackass. Trade him. Trade him now.

Concur.

cubboyroy1826
08-25-2005, 03:40 PM
From what i understand from a good source the agent has in no uncertain terms said this deal should be done but other advisors want more. The agent said he does not push his clients either way he just gives them their options and wants them to make their owne decision. I dont know if it is family members or what. Benson is said to have gotten the last contract offer from the Bears and told his agent "I really expected more". As for the difference my source says it is 1-2 million apart and 1 year on the contract.

Scarecrow
08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
According to my favorite football website: http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

<table id="teamDetailGrid" border="0" bordercolor="White" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" height="44" width="639"> <tbody><tr nowrap="nowrap" bgcolor="White"><td class="front-lede-link" width="25%"> Holmes, Priest (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=1081) </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="13%"> Base:
$660,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="13%"> Signing:
$8,475,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="13%"> Other:
$1,800 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="13%"> Tot Salary:
$9,136,800 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="13%"> Cap Val:
$2,710,014 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="center" width="10%">
</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Wonder if Benson is better than the Priest??? And why does Cederic have to ruin a perfectly great last name ;) ??

Coffee Warlord
08-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Benson has no idea how ruthless the fans are going to be to him if he DOES wind up signing in Chicago.

Wolfpack
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I do have to stick up for my fellow alum Rivers a little bit. SD's offerings last year during his holdout were ridiculously lowball and Ricky Williams-esque in escalator clauses. True, he missed out on camp and it may ultimately have cost him any chance of starting in SD as Brees has now decided he likes his job and has done wonders with it since Rivers showed up. But, Rivers wasn't being a total pill about holding out.

maximus
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM
A radio station (670 The Score) in Chicago just announced that Benson is in Chicago and has been since early this morning. They are saying that Benson is very close to signing.

Crapshoot
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Roffle- he's a jackass for trying to maximise his value ? His career, his market value - not yours.

dixieflatline
08-25-2005, 04:51 PM
As for the difference my source says it is 1-2 million apart and 1 year on the contract.

This is what I'm hearing from the bears side too. Interesting. I'm hearing that the 1 year is a MUCH bigger problem than the 1-2 mil though.

maximus
08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
More news reported on 670 The Score:

Cedirc Benson has shown up at Halas Hall with his baseball agent Brian Peters and not his football agent Eugene Parker. Word is that Benson is extrememly upset with Eugene Parker (Bensons football agent). Sounds as if Benson didn not want to hold out this long and in fact it was Parkers idea. There were no negotiations today however...

Huckleberry
08-25-2005, 05:24 PM
I just noticed that my post is the first time on this thread that Cedric Benson's first name has been spelled correctly.

Just funny.

ice4277
08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
More news reported on 670 The Score:

Cedirc Benson has shown up at Halas Hall with his baseball agent Brian Peters and not his football agent Eugene Parker. Word is that Benson is extrememly upset with Eugene Parker (Bensons football agent). Sounds as if Benson didn not want to hold out this long and in fact it was Parkers idea. There were no negotiations today however...
See, I would tend to call shenanigans on this one. I find it laughable that a holdout can last this long against a player's wishes. Especially one who has another agent who can advise him. If the guy really didn't want to hold out, he could have escalated the situation earlier, and taken steps to end it a (relatively speaking) long time ago.

gstelmack
08-25-2005, 05:46 PM
I do have to stick up for my fellow alum Rivers a little bit. SD's offerings last year during his holdout were ridiculously lowball and Ricky Williams-esque in escalator clauses. True, he missed out on camp and it may ultimately have cost him any chance of starting in SD as Brees has now decided he likes his job and has done wonders with it since Rivers showed up. But, Rivers wasn't being a total pill about holding out.
Oh, I love Rivers (I think he was definitely a top QB in the draft and can be a great NFL QB, the guy does nothing but win), and don't think the whole thing was entirely his fault. But, had he shown up, he'd probably have started and in a couple of seasons would be commanding huge money. Now he has to hope Brees falters or he gets traded, or it will be a while before he gets a chance to prove himself.

Huckleberry
08-25-2005, 07:01 PM
31-17 (D1A opponents) is "nothing but win"?

maximus
08-25-2005, 07:33 PM
This is what I'm hearing from the bears side too. Interesting. I'm hearing that the 1 year is a MUCH bigger problem than the 1-2 mil though.

You guys are hearing that the Bears only want him signed for one year? Or am I misunderstanding?

RailsFS
08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
31-17 (D1A opponents) is "nothing but win"?
Well, at a program like NC State, it is.

RailsFS
08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
You guys are hearing that the Bears only want him signed for one year? Or am I misunderstanding?
Bears want him to sign for one year longer than he wants.

maximus
08-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Bears want him to sign for one year longer than he wants.

Ahh, OK. Thanks for clarifying that. The Bears wanted hime to sign for five (thats what I heard). Is that correct? And all Benson wants is four?

dixieflatline
08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Ahh, OK. Thanks for clarifying that. The Bears wanted hime to sign for five (thats what I heard). Is that correct? And all Benson wants is four?

yes this is correct. It is my understanding that this is the sticking point. If he can only get a 5 year deal with the bears going back into the draft and getting a four year deal with his new team is argueably better since he will have less wear and tear on his body at that point. His camp is supposedly looking at that contract as his big one. Again, this is what I'm hearing from my semi-source. The life of a RB is short in the league but I'm not sure I completely buy his stance(if this is his stance).

maximus
08-25-2005, 08:19 PM
yes this is correct. It is my understanding that this is the sticking point. If he can only get a 5 year deal with the bears going back into the draft and getting a four year deal with his new team is argueably better since he will have less wear and tear on his body at that point. His camp is supposedly looking at that contract as his big one. Again, this is what I'm hearing from my semi-source. The life of a RB is short in the league but I'm not sure I completely buy his stance(if this is his stance).

Heh, wow. But Chicago wants to give this guy nearly 17 million in guaranteed money and 35 mil in salary. Thats a hefty amount. And does he really think he would get that in the next draft? I mean, would someone be willing to pay that next year if he returns to the draft?

nilodor
08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't think anyone would be willing to pay that if he returns to the draft, he would basically be giving up a year of salary to get a new contract, so it would be like a buy 5 years and get the 6th free. Also there is talk that the new CBA will come into effect and one of the reported things is having the rookie salaries set and you know that the number will be lower than what they are getting now. So I imagine that he is going to hold out until the season starts (and he gets paid as players only get paid when they play a regular season game) and sign for what he can. Too bad for him his value to the bears is decreasing, his only hope at a big payday (bigger than it already is) is if Jones goes down or something like that I'd imagine.

BigJohn&TheLions
08-26-2005, 12:25 AM
The Bears should be happy that he only wants a 4 year contract. They should agree to a 4 year deal with less guaranteed money. Then they should give him the ball, give him the ball, give him the ball and then give him the ball a little more. By the time he reaches the end of the deal he will have so much mileage on him that he won't be worth the big money some other team will give him. That is, if he makes it that far...

Shkspr
08-26-2005, 12:39 AM
The Bears should be happy that he only wants a 4 year contract. They should agree to a 4 year deal with less guaranteed money. Then they should give him the ball, give him the ball, give him the ball and then give him the ball a little more. By the time he reaches the end of the deal he will have so much mileage on him that he won't be worth the big money some other team will give him. That is, if he makes it that far...

...at which point Matt Millen signs him. :)

Rizon
08-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I hate that bastard, too.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9053/bronco.jpg

That my boy Ron Brazil.

Huckleberry
08-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Gee, and everyone wonders why he would hold out for the best possible contract his first time around.

TroyF
08-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Gee, and everyone wonders why he would hold out for the best possible contract his first time around.

But Huck, he wants the contract to be shorter. What BigJohn is saying is to give Cedric exactly what he wants. He wants a shorter deal, fine, give him the shorter deal. And then don't care about the miledge you put on him, because if this is his way of negotiating contracts, you'll only have him 4 years anyway.

Even a Texas fan should see Cedric shouldn't be holding out right now. He's not a QB and he wasn't traded for the #1 pick. To assume he should get as much as Rivers is idiotic on his part. Hell, he wasn't event the first RB taken in this draft.

rkmsuf
08-26-2005, 09:14 AM
And he cried at the draft. The should cost him a couple million somehow.

He impressed me as a nutball the day he was drafted.

Huckleberry
08-26-2005, 09:56 AM
But Huck, he wants the contract to be shorter. What BigJohn is saying is to give Cedric exactly what he wants. He wants a shorter deal, fine, give him the shorter deal. And then don't care about the miledge you put on him, because if this is his way of negotiating contracts, you'll only have him 4 years anyway.

Even a Texas fan should see Cedric shouldn't be holding out right now. He's not a QB and he wasn't traded for the #1 pick. To assume he should get as much as Rivers is idiotic on his part. Hell, he wasn't event the first RB taken in this draft.
I don't have an opinion either way as I don't know the specifics of any of the offers. I tend to agree that the probability is that he shouldn't be holding out, though.

What I disagree with is your and BigJohn's analysis. Do you honestly think that the Bears would care more about wearing him down with a 5-year contract? They would just cut him after 4 if he was done as a productive player. Moving from a 5-year to a 4-year contract is nothing but good for the player because he still gets his guaranteed money but isn't locked into the contract for the extra year.

Which, it should be fairly obvious, is exactly why the Bears don't want to give it to him.

TroyF
08-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't have an opinion either way as I don't know the specifics of any of the offers. I tend to agree that the probability is that he shouldn't be holding out, though.

What I disagree with is your and BigJohn's analysis. Do you honestly think that the Bears would care more about wearing him down with a 5-year contract? They would just cut him after 4 if he was done as a productive player. Moving from a 5-year to a 4-year contract is nothing but good for the player because he still gets his guaranteed money but isn't locked into the contract for the extra year.

Which, it should be fairly obvious, is exactly why the Bears don't want to give it to him.

The problem is all the other guys signed 5 year+ deals Huck. He's under the false assumption he has leverage. He comes back into the draft next year, he'll get offered (and will eventually be forced to sign if he ever wants to play) a five year+ deal.

I can't wait until they get rookie deals slotted, both years and dollars. Then these guys won't be able to say a thing.

BigJohn&TheLions
08-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I he says "To hell with DaBears" like so many fans have already done, then reenters the draft next year, does he think he'd be a top pick? I don't know that any team would risk a #1 on a guy who has already shown a propensity to flake out over a contract. I could just see it next year... Because he was picked in the top 5 in 2005, the 20th overall pick in the 2006 NFL draft is holding out for top 5 money. Benson: "I was a the fourth pick in the draft last year, so what they're essentially getting is the fourth overall pick and I want to be paid like I deserve to be paid..."

Passacaglia
08-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Would a 4 year deal mean less guaranteed money? I think the real sticking point is that, while they're not far off in the amount of guaranteed money (i.e. how much the Bears are willing to pay right now), but the other point of contention is not just how many years, but how much guaranteed money the Bears pay per year. Maybe that's where the compromise will come -- a little less guaranteed money, and less years -- but while I haven't followed this closely despite living in Chicago, I haven't heard anything about less guaranteed money for less years.

dixieflatline
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Would a 4 year deal mean less guaranteed money? I think the real sticking point is that, while they're not far off in the amount of guaranteed money (i.e. how much the Bears are willing to pay right now), but the other point of contention is not just how many years, but how much guaranteed money the Bears pay per year. Maybe that's where the compromise will come -- a little less guaranteed money, and less years -- but while I haven't followed this closely despite living in Chicago, I haven't heard anything about less guaranteed money for less years.

This is an interesting question. I'm hoping to hear from my semi-source today or this weekend if he has any info on the meeting yesterday. He didn't say anything about the guarenteed money just that the bears pretty much refuse to do a deal less than 5 years and Benson refuses to add the 5th year to the deal. If this dispute is resolved you may be right about how they manage to solve it.

As for what kind of deal he will get if he re-enters the draft I have no idea. Again, from what I hear, he and his agent don't look at any of these rookie contracts as big money and the real big money would come from his next contract. So he may be willing to lose out on $3-5 mil now if he thinks he can make up for that down the road. Again, speculation here on what he is really thinking.

JasonC23
08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
The strangest thing about this holdout is that even those of us living in Chicago (or the suburbs) have heard very little about the holdout, apart from the usual "Lovie Smith bites his tongue but says Benson should be here" story on the 10:00 news. There just isn't much outrage toward either side, as far as I can tell.

And I think that's the most damaging thing--the team can't sign its 1st-round pick, and nobody cares because everyone knows the offense will suck with or without him. Sad.

nilodor
08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
The strangest thing about this holdout is that even those of us living in Chicago (or the suburbs) have heard very little about the holdout, apart from the usual "Lovie Smith bites his tongue but says Benson should be here" story on the 10:00 news. There just isn't much outrage toward either side, as far as I can tell.

And I think that's the most damaging thing--the team can't sign its 1st-round pick, and nobody cares because everyone knows the offense will suck with or without him. Sad.

I agree, once Grossman went down, the air just got sucked out of the room.

General Mike
08-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Even if this guy signs, he is gonna be a bust the likes of Curtis Enis or other notable Penn State backs.

Scarecrow
08-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Even if this guy signs, he is gonna be a bust the likes of Curtis Enis or other notable Penn State backs. Larry Johnson (http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/Johnson_Larry_NFL_Stats.pdf) might take offense to that statement.

mhass
08-28-2005, 09:56 PM
He's in. Five years.

JasonC23
08-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Meanwhile, both RBs ahead of him on the depth chart have had very good preseasons...

At least they finally stopped mucking around with Hutch! The Orton era begins...

Cringer
08-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Meanwhile, both RBs ahead of him on the depth chart have had very good preseasons...

At least they finally stopped mucking around with Hutch! The Orton era begins...

Too bad the dumbass had to finally sign, I was hoping he would hold out all year.

And congrats to Orton, hope that works out well for him.

mhass
08-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Orton will look better because of a seriously solid defense. Benson will be garbage for three or four weeks. If Peterson could block anything at all, he'd have Benson beat on the depth chart all season.

Cringer
08-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Orton will look better because of a seriously solid defense. Benson will be garbage for three or four weeks. If Peterson could block anything at all, he'd have Benson beat on the depth chart all season.

I'm hoping more like 3 or 4 seasons.

saldana
08-29-2005, 11:47 PM
CONGRATULATIONS CEDRIC!! you finally extracted your head from your own ass and realized you needed to get into camp in order to get paid...i love when guys that have never played a down hold out....i guess all the money he made in college was starting to run out.

sterlingice
08-30-2005, 12:27 AM
CONGRATULATIONS CEDRIC!! you finally extracted your head from your own ass and realized you needed to get into camp in order to get paid...i love when guys that have never played a down hold out....i guess all the money he made in college was starting to run out.
Well, he did play at UT. That's a lot of cash so he can stretch it out a while...

SI

Huckleberry
08-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Funny stuff. Cedric never received a dime from UT. He didn't need to.

I say this knowing full well that Texas, just like every other school, is far from perfectly clean. I just know for a fact that Cedric didn't get anything, including a scholarship.

HomerJSimpson
08-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Funny stuff. Cedric never received a dime from UT. He didn't need to.

I say this knowing full well that Texas, just like every other school, is far from perfectly clean. I just know for a fact that Cedric didn't get anything, including a scholarship.

He wasn't on scholarship?

Fonzie
08-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Too bad the dumbass had to finally sign, I was hoping he would hold out all year.
I, for one, am glad to see him sign. The Bears need another albatross hanging 'round their necks. :)

<--------Packers fan.

Crapshoot
08-30-2005, 09:14 AM

I love when idiots who don't understand what holding out is in NFL parlance and who are simply jealous bitch and moan about someone else attempting to get market value.

Huckleberry
08-30-2005, 09:51 AM
He wasn't on scholarship?
No, his college was paid for by the Dodgers organization, essentially.

HomerJSimpson
08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
No, his college was paid for by the Dodgers organization, essentially.

There you go. I had no idea.