PDA

View Full Version : FOF2k7 : Is the game ready yet?

bdem
11-15-2006, 09:18 AM
I'd like to get started with my career but don't want to get really into it until I know if Jim will be doing another release or patch soon.

Jim?

Anyone?

Thanks

Toddzilla
11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
maybe

Toddzilla
11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Dola -

maybe not

BigPitt
11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
What does the new game do better than the previos (patched) edition ?
What is not as good as that version ?

This year I have not jumped right into buying new games the minute they arrive (ie:ootp,maxFB,eastside Hockey,FM,BowlBound,FOF,etc) and that has proven to be the correct approach. It has taken months for the patches to make them even close to worthwile. And some (most) never get there. Some do. Just my opinion but OOTP and finally BowlBound are the only two I've bought and enjoyed.

Back to FOF. It looks to me like the pluses in the new game do NOT exceed the the negatives. And since it has been stated that the patch that just arrived will be the only one for some time - why spend $40. I guess what is really disgusting is that no "bug fix list" has been issued. Never ihave I seen this before from a reputable company. I'm sure others feel much more positive but to me, without another patch, this is just a facelift.

Cringer
11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Just wait man.........about 2-3 months. Things should be worked out by then.

AlexB
11-15-2006, 11:10 AM
What does the new game do better than the previos (patched) edition ?
What is not as good as that version ?

This year I have not jumped right into buying new games the minute they arrive (ie:ootp,maxFB,eastside Hockey,FM,BowlBound,FOF,etc) and that has proven to be the correct approach. It has taken months for the patches to make them even close to worthwile. And some (most) never get there. Some do. Just my opinion but OOTP and finally BowlBound are the only two I've bought and enjoyed.

Back to FOF. It looks to me like the pluses in the new game do NOT exceed the the negatives. And since it has been stated that the patch that just arrived will be the only one for some time - why spend $40. I guess what is really disgusting is that no "bug fix list" has been issued. Never ihave I seen this before from a reputable company. I'm sure others feel much more positive but to me, without another patch, this is just a facelift.

I think the plan was that the patch would be the only one for some time, but I think from Jim's post that he will release another quickly to adjust the scouting margin of error which has ended up broken in the 6.0a patch.

Once this is fixed, I guess there won't be another for a while

cartman
11-15-2006, 11:38 AM
As far as I can tell, the current patch addressed everything that was brought up after the initial release.

The only outstanding issue I see now is the ambiguity over the red/green bar issue. To say that there are many other issues or negatives at this point I do not think is accurate. Outside of the red/green issue, what else has been discovered wrong with the patch?

wade moore
11-15-2006, 11:43 AM
As far as I can tell, the current patch addressed everything that was brought up after the initial release.

The only outstanding issue I see now is the ambiguity over the red/green bar issue. To say that there are many other issues or negatives at this point I do not think is accurate. Outside of the red/green issue, what else has been discovered wrong with the patch?

There's a nitpicky issue about the mouse wheel and having to click a header to use it, but that's all i know of.

highfiveoh
11-15-2006, 11:47 AM
There's a nitpicky issue about the mouse wheel and having to click a header to use it, but that's all i know of.

And the MIA Import Draft feature.

BigPitt
11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Well I guess the fact that we don't know what really was fixed bothers me.

One thing - were the scorning and possession errors fixed?

Also - Does the AI use more than two running backs? Even 3rd down backs.

And - What is the question abouting importing drafts? Does this mean that custom draft files cannot be created? Or what?

too- Have things been adjusted so the scoring is more realistic?

Just a couple things that come to mind. Maybe some type reply by the head man could answer these type things. Likewise;he could inform wheter another patch is coming rather than buyers making assumptions. Is that asking too much?

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Well I guess the fact that we don't know what really was fixed bothers me.

One thing - were the scorning and possession errors fixed?

Also - Does the AI use more than two running backs? Even 3rd down backs.

And - What is the question abouting importing drafts? Does this mean that custom draft files cannot be created? Or what?

too- Have things been adjusted so the scoring is more realistic?

Just a couple things that come to mind. Maybe some type reply by the head man could answer these type things. Likewise;he could inform wheter another patch is coming rather than buyers making assumptions. Is that asking too much?I'm the head man here, so I guess I qualify to answer.

1. Haven't seen any scoring or possession errors in the new patch.
2. In several games I played last night, I had three backs get carries, not that I think it is all that important anyway.
3. Read the help file. The info is there, I believe.
4. Scoring is up. I already posted about that. Read.
5. Jim already posted that he's going to address the red/green issue in a thread in which you posted. Why are you discouraging people from buying the game and saying that this is the last patch for some time? Do you have some hidden agenda that we should know about?

amdaily
11-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Aside from the wheel mouse issue and the AI teams tagging the same player every single season with the franchise tag, all the major problems I've seen were corrected.

As for the red bar-green bar issue, there are many threads to read about that in.

SunDevil
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
These are some of the issues that I am worried about. I have bought the game on the first day it was available. I am enjoying myself and learning a lot. I really think it really depends on your history with the game. If you are new and never played this series, then I think you should get it, just so you can begin the learning curve. In the end the issues will be fixed.

This is what I am concerned about:

I just went into an SP game I started previously. When I pressed recommend pre patch my first string QB was a 34/34 13 year vet. Second string was 16/57, a rookie.

Now when I press recommend my first string is the 16/57 (now 65/65) rookie, second string a 33/41 rookie, third the veteran.

This indicates to me the AI is ignoring the experience of the rookies, and just looking at the current. The 33/41 is basically a very poor player if we incorporate his experience, and has no business being a no.2 ahead of the veteran.

From what I understand it's still somewhat a work in progress, it's suppose to be tweaked more in a patch but currently they *try* to hold onto their core players but eventually they end up going crazy. Seattle in one of my games released their entire roster, including the #1 overall pick from the previous year. They had 140 million in lost cap space with a salary cap of only 144 million.

Dutch
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
The wheel-mouse and the "quick-click" to change a player from active to inactive. If you have scrolled down at all, the "quick-click" becomes more tedious than going into the player card and clicking that button. But that's just aethetics (=unimportant).

wade moore
11-15-2006, 01:22 PM
SunDevil - I still fail to see where the "problem" is here. Without seeing who the third guy is, it seems to be working appropriately to me based on the bars.

A-Husker-4-Life
11-15-2006, 01:29 PM
And the MIA Import Draft feature.

Huh, this feature works just fine pre or post patch. I run a historical league with some friends and we just drafted our 1980 players. I picked up Art Monk, he should tear the league up from day one.

BTW, has anybody else noticed the draft order is out of wack..

SunDevil
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
SunDevil - I still fail to see where the "problem" is here. Without seeing who the third guy is, it seems to be working appropriately to me based on the bars.

You may fail to see what the problem is with the first quote I posted, but the team cutting the whole team and having over 100 million in dead money, seems kind of crazy.

IMetLyleAlzado
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I must be so stupid, could someone please point to where the import draft button is in version 6.0a.

I'm so used to there just being a button in the post-Staff hire/pre-Free Agency phase

I couldn't find any reference to how to do this in the help file.

Ben E Lou
11-15-2006, 01:42 PM
BTW, has anybody else noticed the draft order is out of wack..:confused:

Dutch
11-15-2006, 01:48 PM
:confused:

Jim is finally starting to make us think that FOF is reality and it's the NFL that's jacked up.

Deattribution
11-15-2006, 02:01 PM
This is what I am concerned about:

From what I understand it's still somewhat a work in progress, it's suppose to be tweaked more in a patch but currently they *try* to hold onto their core players but eventually they end up going crazy. Seattle in one of my games released their entire roster, including the #1 overall pick from the previous year. They had 140 million in lost cap space with a salary cap of only 144 million.

To be fair here, this was before the patch was out. I'd assume it was atleast adjusted some or looked at, although I haven't played any to really find out.

highfiveoh
11-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Huh, this feature works just fine pre or post patch. I run a historical league with some friends and we just drafted our 1980 players. I picked up Art Monk, he should tear the league up from day one.

BTW, has anybody else noticed the draft order is out of wack..

There is no import draft button after staff hiring post-patch. You're telling me you ended staff hiring post-patch? How is the draft order out of whack? Are you talking about how tied teams have their orders "snake" each round?

wade moore
11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
You may fail to see what the problem is with the first quote I posted, but the team cutting the whole team and having over 100 million in dead money, seems kind of crazy.

Nice red herring there buddy.

You said the depth chart thing was a problem.

I explain that based on the bars we see, I don't think it is.

And you talk about how the whole team was cut and there was 100 mil in dead cap money.

Nice debating tactic.

SunDevil
11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Actually it was from a different thread. I saw two problems. That ai using one player who was not experienced over a player that was. You said that you did not think it was a problem. That is fine, maybe it is, maybe it is not. My second issue with the cap cuts have been mentioned by two people. This thread is about if this game is ready, I think it is, but I currently have these two issues. Not trying to have a debate with you and not using it as a tactic.

Solecismic
11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
There is no import draft button after staff hiring post-patch. You're telling me you ended staff hiring post-patch? How is the draft order out of whack? Are you talking about how tied teams have their orders "snake" each round?

I'm getting the draft order comment a lot. Even people who really follow the NFL may not know they rotate draft position for tied teams in later rounds.

After looking at some code, I think I've figured out the import problem. Some people may not see the draft button at the right time. I will get that taken care of.

As soon as I've made a final determination on what to do about the scouting error perception problem (and a couple of examples people have brought up, mostly with respect to very young players makes this a serious issue), I will post here.

I am very anxious to start preparing for our upcoming move, but this is more important.

Ksyrup
11-15-2006, 02:29 PM

I think, from Jim's own statements, that he will need to further tweak the scouting error as well, which is related to the red/green bar issue, but is also its own problem. And I assume that, although not a bug, he will be doing something to make it easier for us to see/get to the positional experience information in the next patch (whenever that may come). Still, I do not see anything that is going to keep me from diving head-first into a career during the Thanksgiving holidays.

EDIT: Well, based on Jim's post, maybe I will hold off...

NoMyths
11-15-2006, 02:31 PM
I am very anxious to start preparing for our upcoming move, but this is more important.

Thanks for working hard to resolve the outstanding issues, Jim.

MalcPow
11-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Same here, thanks Jim.

CraigSca
11-15-2006, 02:45 PM

Yep - thanks so much for making this a priority during a very hectic time.

Deattribution
11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
As soon as I've made a final determination on what to do about the scouting error perception problem (and a couple of examples people have brought up, mostly with respect to very young players makes this a serious issue), I will post here.

I could be in the minority here, but I'd be satisfied having the pre-patch system/view and waiting a month or two down the line when the system could get an adequate enough of time to be tweaked consistently for a few weeks based on feedback and playtime.

Unless it was drastically affecting the game in a negative way for the AI (and maybe it was and I didn't realize it), I had no problems with how the system was currently working.

Ronde Barber
11-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks a lot Jim...the import draft button not showing is a great problem...thanks for all the good work!!!

BigPitt
11-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm the head man here, so I guess I qualify to answer.

1. Haven't seen any scoring or possession errors in the new patch.
2. In several games I played last night, I had three backs get carries, not that I think it is all that important anyway.
3. Read the help file. The info is there, I believe.
4. Scoring is up. I already posted about that. Read.
5. Jim already posted that he's going to address the red/green issue in a thread in which you posted. Why are you discouraging people from buying the game and saying that this is the last patch for some time? Do you have some hidden agenda that we should know about?

----------------------------------------

1..Good - first comment on this I have seen.
2.Good again - but what about the AI controlled teams?
3. Already said I won't buy till outstanding issues are fixed. So I have no help file to look at.
4..Good - don't have time to read everything. Neither do I need smart answers.
5.Nowhere did I menrion the red-green issue. Read.
Let Jim just say there is a quick fix coming.

No I have no agenda of any kind. Why would you jump on that. I've already said I am really wanting to buy the game. The thread was started with the question asking "is the game ready". Just gave my opinion on the CURRENT state of it.

yabanci
11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
3. Already said I won't buy till outstanding issues are fixed. So I have no help file to look at...

the demo has a beautiful help file...exactly same as the fulll game, in fact.

MizzouRah
11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm getting the draft order comment a lot. Even people who really follow the NFL may not know they rotate draft position for tied teams in later rounds.

After looking at some code, I think I've figured out the import problem. Some people may not see the draft button at the right time. I will get that taken care of.

Thanks Jim!