Thread: Bitcoin et al.
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #159
Kodos
Resident Alien

Keep in mind, the generating excess electricity thing only happens for us for a 3-4 month window during the summer. The rest of the year, we use more than we generate, especially in the winter. So we bank some energy in the summer, but it quickly gets wiped out in the fall. So mining Bitcoin would ultimately still cost us money.

Our time horizon to recoup our initial investment was originally 10 years or so (so 2026), but that got pushed back some when we had to pay to remove and then reinstall some panels when we added on an office for my wife to our house last fall. Plus, the whole system was offline for about 6 months during the construction period (at least it happened during the lower-generation winter months). When we installed the panels, my first consideration was just to be more environmentally friendly in our power generation because our house is all run on electric power. The fact that it could ultimately save us money in the long term was also a big factor, but I was willing to take somewhat of a loss in the short-to-mid timeframe to do the right thing for the environment.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-20-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote