Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Amazon Prime

Other than the name, which makes me think of some sort of transformer covered in jungle foliage, it seems like a pretty good deal for people who buy a lot from Amazon.

Pay $79 and get free two day shipping on anything that your order from Amazon.com for a year.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I saw this, but quickly relized that nearly everything we order from Amazon (a pretty good deal, actually) gets sent with free "Super Saver" shipping already, which is often something like 3-5 days. I think we just aren't the right demographic.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I was soooooo expecting pics of large blonde women in this thread.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Old 02-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The cartoons nowadays...Optimus looked like he was going to transform into a truck, but he transformed into that vine???
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

It's not Optimus...it's his evil cousin, Amazon.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Would be very interested to revist this thread nearly four years later. For me, prime has COMPLETELY changed the way I shop.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Ok. I got this bitch out of the archive (thanks wade). as stated... would be very curious to hear some new thoughts on the service four years later.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Since we pay the highest sales tax in the country in my county, buying online saves me quite a few bucks. Amazon Prime is worth every penny and I don't know how it hasn't cost them more than it's worth.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

1. They sincerely seem to have the best price on damn near anything I am looking for.

2. When it's only going to be 2 days, i can easily hold off on something I might have gone to a brick and mortar location to buy that day.

3. Because they have great prices, but they also fluctuate regularly, they create a great recipe for checking their site regularly.

4. Because you're going to get whatever it is so damn quick, you start considering ordering just about anything from them.

I think this is truly one of the great marriages of benefit to user and seller. Amazon has succeeded into making me at least check their price for almost anything I buy. Im getting stuff really quickly, and wondering how they aren't taking a loss on my shipping.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

one negative: i often feel environmentally irresponsible when im in a phase of near-daily UPS deliveries of single items.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Daimyo
College Starter

I order a ton from Amazon ranging from one-off (e.g. electronics, furniture) to routine (e.g. children's clothes, soap). I never got prime though because 95% of what I order ships for free with super saver and I get it all in 2-6 days as is.

I've often wondered what kinds of deals they must have with the shipping companies to be able to offer such cheap shipping to customers.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Well, i think its pretty good insight into just how high the markups on most items are.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

You can get Gillette razors from there for like $10 less than at the store.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I love the fact that I can order a 49 pound chair, and get it shipped here next day for $3.99 (just did that)
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I order a ton from Amazon ranging from one-off (e.g. electronics, furniture) to routine (e.g. children's clothes, soap). I never got prime though because 95% of what I order ships for free with super saver and I get it all in 2-6 days as is.

Every now and then I need something last minute, but not enough to justify the $79 fee. I just pay shipping in those cases.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I ordered a trailer hitch from Amazon, and it shipped next day for $3.99. It was missing some parts, and they send another one out next day for free. That was worth the price for Prime right there.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

I used the hell out of the free trial over Christmas. I loved it, but just wasn't sure I would get our money's worth during the rest of the year.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I used the hell out of the free trial over Christmas. I loved it, but just wasn't sure I would get our money's worth during the rest of the year.

i got that free trial too - i need to look into how i cancel it before it's too late.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
samifan24
Pro Starter

Slickdeals ran a post last week detailing how to obtain a free 3 month trial of Prime. As far as I can tell, the deal is still active.

I had a free month's trial during Christmas and signed up for this free 3-month trial last week with no problems.

Additionally to stop Prime from auto-renewing at the end of a free trial you go to Your Account -> Settings -> Manage Prime Membership -> Click "Do Not Upgrade Automatically" near the top of the page.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there any way to set it up so thst you only search products from Amazon? I hate weeding through the sub vendors when I'm looking to get something that will ship FSSS.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola
Is this billed yearly in one chunk? Or like 7 a month.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I have Prime, though I've thought about canceling it sometimes. We aren't heavy Amazon shoppers, but it's a tremendous asset when Christmas shopping. I didn't get everything done over Amazon, but I did shop and ship several things effortlessly to my parents' house in Charlotte right up to the 22nd without having to worry about shipping costs or whether it would get there on time. That alone probably made it worth it to me. (And I'm signed up until October of next year anyway, so maybe I should make more use of it now and again. )
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #24
RainMaker
General Manager

Did you guys know you can add 4 "family members" to the plan? Basically can split it with someone you know. I've had my parents on mine for the last couple years.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Did you guys know you can add 4 "family members" to the plan? Basically can split it with someone you know. I've had my parents on mine for the last couple years.

I may have to rethink this...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #26
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Shared benefits with up to four family members living in the same household.

So this is one of those "wink-wink nudge-nudge" things that Amazon could shut down at any time?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
So this is one of those "wink-wink nudge-nudge" things that Amazon could shut down at any time?
It's been going on for years without a hitch. Lot of people share it with others who live in completely different states. I honestly don't think Amazon cares as long as you are buying from them.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Cool, we may have to think about that strongly then.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #29
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's been going on for years without a hitch. Lot of people share it with others who live in completely different states. I honestly don't think Amazon cares as long as you are buying from them.

I was under the impression that you all had to have the same street address for Amazon to allow others on the account.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #30
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I was under the impression that you all had to have the same street address for Amazon to allow others on the account.

Nope. A buddy has an account that has a guy in PA, three in IL, and one guy in OK on it. SlickDeals.net occasionally has a thread with someone trying to fill spots in their Prime membership for a share of the yearly fee.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, this service is evil. I'm on the 3 month trial, and I've already bought too much stuff. Where normally I'd find a good deal on a Blu Ray(40 Year Old Virgin for 10 bucks), I'd have to sit around and try to find other stuff to get it over $25 for the order for the free shipping. So invariably I'd end up not getting anything. Now it's just point, "one click."
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #32
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Since we pay the highest sales tax in the country in my county, buying online saves me quite a few bucks. Amazon Prime is worth every penny and I don't know how it hasn't cost them more than it's worth.

This has ended in NYS, and I expect it to end other places as well. Basically, NYS has said that since Amazon has affiliate partners in NY, they have a physical presence in NY and thus are required to collect sales tax on orders from NY. It was quite a shock to see sales tax on my first amazon order after moving here.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
This has ended in NYS, and I expect it to end other places as well. Basically, NYS has said that since Amazon has affiliate partners in NY, they have a physical presence in NY and thus are required to collect sales tax on orders from NY. It was quite a shock to see sales tax on my first amazon order after moving here.

I signed up to the three month free trial last week (heck I think I had that years ago too) and it saved me major cash in just a week. I bought a couple baseball books, and then on Thursday our TV in the bedroom fell over. I ordered a new TV Thursday afternoon and paid $6.99 for Saturday delivery, that plus the amazing deal they had on it ($200 bucks under what I would have got it anywhere locally) and no sales tax saved me.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dunno if it still runs, but .edu addys could get free prime a few months ago. Assume it works for professors too.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #35
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My wife got Amazon prime this summer. She loves it because she's always pre-ordering books (often forgetting ones that she's ordered months in advance) so just from that stand point it pays for itself. We do quite a bit of other shopping on there too.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Amazon is my #1 site to order stuff, plus they have the best used game system around.. I send them all my used games for credit.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
dunno if it still runs, but .edu addys could get free prime a few months ago. Assume it works for professors too.

Yeah, just google "Amazon Student" and you'll probably just have to add the addy to your school mail's accepted senders list.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone noticed that 2 day shipping can easily turn into next day(at no extra cost?). Ordered something yesterday at like 1pm and it just arrived. Possibly it's cause regular 2day delivery would have fallen in a Saturday and that might cost more for amazon.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that 2 day shipping can easily turn into next day(at no extra cost?). Ordered something yesterday at like 1pm and it just arrived. Possibly it's cause regular 2day delivery would have fallen in a Saturday and that might cost more for amazon.

Oh yeah, all the time. It all depends on where it ships from.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
sabotai
General Manager

I'd say about half of my 2-day orders from Amazon get to me by the next day.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #41
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I love amazon prime, when my wife got it I wasn't sure how often we'd use it- but it's already easily paid for itself.

At work we ordered some shelves for our storage shed, these were BIG boxes, 5 of them. All free shipping, we also ordered one over night- big box, for $3.99- I don't see how they are making money on this service.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I almost ordered a kitchen hood vent for like 40 bucks, but didn't feel like painting it(was the wrong color, but 1/2 price of the color I needed). It's amazing that would have come shipped for free.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

Amazon kills this site when I'm using my phone to browse. That one ad is a killer
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #44
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Amazon kills this site when I'm using my phone to browse. That one ad is a killer

I thought maybe that was something on my end. Try to click a thread title on here? Go to Amazon!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

That happens to me too. So annoying.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Prime is the best. I too get 1-day shipping on a lot of items. I sometimes feel bad ordering something small through them. The other day I just needed a potato peeler.

It's worth mentioning if you didn't see it that Amazon just added a bunch of new stuff to their free Instant Video section. It includes a lot of shows from MTV, Nickelodean, Comedy Central, VH1, and TV Land. Not a ton of stuff, but a nice addition. Straners with Candy is one of the choices which is sweet.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Prime streaming is supposedly available via the PS3 very soon, if not already.

Last edited by stevew : 04-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #48
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

My parents asked about wanting a Kindle for Christmas. I said no since I wanted something else. Now the idea of a Kindle has been stuck in my head, and now I'm seeing how well Amazon Prime, which I have, works with a Kindle Fire. Waiting to see what I get for my birthday since I didn't ask for anything.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #49
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

It's available.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #50
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You must have heard my wife taking. She just mentioned tonight that she wished it was available on our TV (PS3) upstairs.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote