Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

Dick Jauron named head coach of the Buffalo Bills

Unfortunately I had a feeling we were going to sign him as our next coach. I was really hoping for Sherman. Jauron just has not had the sucess you would like in a coach you are hiring because of his experience.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2302255

BuffaloHuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Patriot nation supports this hiring.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHuskey
Unfortunately I had a feeling we were going to sign him as our next coach. I was really hoping for Sherman. Jauron just has not had the sucess you would like in a coach you are hiring because of his experience.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2302255

As a Packer fan, I was really hoping Sherman would get this job too. I wanted to cheer him on next season. Now, unless he gets dumb and goes for the Raiders job, he will end up as an assistant for a while somewhere. Too bad. Of course Sherman should still be in Green Bay IMO.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Hoya1
High School JV

this sucks.

I just don't understand this hiring. Must've had to do with money. Old Ralph is just too damn cheap.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Suckers.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Brothas get no love.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1
this sucks.

I just don't understand this hiring. Must've had to do with money. Old Ralph is just too damn cheap.

I couldn't see Sherman asking for much more then Jauron.

From what I heard on Friday, the Bills front office was 50-50 split between Jauron and Sherman and that is why they brought in those last couple guys to interview. I guess the Jauron faction had the higher up guys on their side.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Dick Jauron is a brotha?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Dick Jauron is a brotha?

Maybe he was refering to James Lofton. He was the only black candidate they brought in that I know of. One of the last two guys may have been one of the guys from the Jets though, I can't remember. The James Lofton interview seems like it puts a bad image on the minority interview requirements IMO. I haven't heard anyone say Lofton was a legit head coach prospect.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

As a Dolphins fan, I support this hiring.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

All that's left is for Jets nation to sign off and it's an AFC East clean sweep.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

I just hope he brings in Shoop as his OC again.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As a Lions fan, I just gotta' say, sorry Bills fans.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
All that's left is for Jets nation to sign off and it's an AFC East clean sweep.

I'll go ahead and sign off for Jets nation. Should help things for us, no doubt.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Wow. What an absolutely horrible hire.

I feel for Bills fans...you have a ton of great candidates out there and you pick...Dick Jauron?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #16
dervack
College Prospect

As a Bears fan, all I can say is....

Sorry Buffalo.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Maybe he was refering to James Lofton. He was the only black candidate they brought in that I know of. One of the last two guys may have been one of the guys from the Jets though, I can't remember. The James Lofton interview seems like it puts a bad image on the minority interview requirements IMO. I haven't heard anyone say Lofton was a legit head coach prospect.
They should have interviewed O.J.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Let's see how many coaches Buffalo can go through before 2010.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I guess that big win as Lions coach really impressed the Bills.

What a coaching record

99: 6-10
00: 5-11
01: 13-3
02: 4-12
03: 7-9
04: 1-4

Booyah!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #20
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

This hiring is embarrasing. I know that Sherman never won it all, but at lesat he has won. Marv is out of his mind for hiring this guy and Mr. Wilson is out of his gord for hiring Marv as the GM. I don't know if it is possible to become an even bigger laughing stock, but the Bills are trying.

Hopefully I am wrong about this, and the NFL network has a commerical rediculing the naysayers, but who knows
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

You know, I don't buy the forced minority interviews and what not, but as a minority candidate, I would be pissed at the apparent recycling - retreads like Jauron, Sherman, Capers, and so keep getting second chances- but guys like Rhodes and Shell were pretty much one and done.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Jauron is on NFL Radio right now. I am not sure I have ever heard him speak. He seems very soft spoken....and kind of....uh....feminine.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #23
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
As a Dolphins fan, I support this hiring.

Seriously the Bills bring in Jauron, the Jets Mangiani, and the Dolphins got Mulurky and Capers to be our OC and DC..

Saban is the man and it won't be long before we are knocking down the Pats door..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Seriously the Bills bring in Jauron, the Jets Mangiani, and the Dolphins got Mulurky and Capers to be our OC and DC..

Saban is the man and it won't be long before we are knocking down the Pats door..

Sadly Saban is that good. Miami fans should be happy.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yep, Saban has lived up to the hype for sure.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #26
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Wow. What an absolutely horrible hire.

I feel for Bills fans...you have a ton of great candidates out there and you pick...Dick Jauron?

I thought the Redskins hired all the great candidates as assistant coaches?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #27
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Jauron is on NFL Radio right now. I am not sure I have ever heard him speak. He seems very soft spoken....and kind of....uh....feminine.

S'why we despised him in Chicago. Dude is just...passive.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
You know, I don't buy the forced minority interviews and what not, but as a minority candidate, I would be pissed at the apparent recycling - retreads like Jauron, Sherman, Capers, and so keep getting second chances- but guys like Rhodes and Shell were pretty much one and done.

If I was a legitimate minority candidate, I'd be pissed as Hell that Dick freaking Jauron was getting a second shot (well, 2.5 I guess after Mooch was booted in Detroit) and no minority coaches have been hired (Herm Edwards moving over doesn't count) with all those openings!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #29
Bee
Pro Starter

I'll go against the grain and say it's a good hire considering the other candidates available. He was Coach of the Year a few seasons ago when the Bears went 13-3, so it's not like he's never been successful in the NFL. I think he'll need to hire a good offensive coordinator to turn things around in Buffalo, but I think it's definitely possible.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Bellicheck sucked in his first go-round, so it's not like any coach can't improve.

Stiil, as a Jets fan I'll sign off on this hiring.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #31
SFL Cat
College Starter

Well, to help bolster the spirits of you Bills fans...no one expected Bill Belichick to do what he did in New England, especially in light of his record as head coach in Cleveland (one winning record in five seasons).
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #32
SFL Cat
College Starter

dola....ct was little faster on the draw than I was.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:15 PM   #33
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yeah, but Belichick I think had some time out of the big chair before taking the New England job. Jauron was let go before last year in Chicago, took the DC job this year in Detroit, and then went 1-4 when Mooch got tossed. As I recall, Belichick was ousted when the Browns moved to Baltimore (replaced by Billick) and then became DC for several years with Parcells before taking the Pats job (something like a 5-year stint as coordinator, I think).

I also think the Patriots of 2001 were a lot closer in hindsight to being a really good team than the Bills will be in 2006.

I'm not sure, therefore, that the analogy really holds very well.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #34
RoastDuck
Mascot

You know Marv Levy had a pretty wank record as the Chiefs-HC when we hired him - looking at the postives... go Dick go...
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #35
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

Well we have had Gregg Williams and Mike Mularky the as our last two coaches, both have been standoffish and not great with the media or the players for that matter. Maybe a new type of personality will help turn the franchise around. We really do need a good OC because we have too much talent not to produce on the offensive side of the ball
Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #36
Hoya1
High School JV

I think Mularkey as OC of Miami is a joke. You could hear the cheers in PIT when the Bills hired him 2 years ago. He's a no mind that's all about gimmick plays. He's way overated both as a coordinator and a head coach.
Miami fans should know what Mularkey's all about. Remember the game where we were up 21-0 and couldn't win?
1st and goal at the 1 yard line, and JP Losman throws a pick as opposed to running the ball 3 times and getting some points. So much for running out the clock. We just lined up with 5 WR sets and watched the Bills self destruct.

I really hope Dick works out. We need to win, and win soon!
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #37
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

Rhodes got two chances. The second one just didn't last very long.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #38
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Yeah, but Belichick I think had some time out of the big chair before taking the New England job. Jauron was let go before last year in Chicago, took the DC job this year in Detroit, and then went 1-4 when Mooch got tossed. As I recall, Belichick was ousted when the Browns moved to Baltimore (replaced by Billick) and then became DC for several years with Parcells before taking the Pats job (something like a 5-year stint as coordinator, I think).

I also think the Patriots of 2001 were a lot closer in hindsight to being a really good team than the Bills will be in 2006.

I'm not sure, therefore, that the analogy really holds very well.

Belliecheck was not a head coach for 5 years (i believe). Jauron has not been head coach for 2 (im exlcuding his temp bit this season). You may have a point there about Bellicheck having enough time off to really evaluate what he did wrong.

As for the talent situation in New England, I disagree. They had some shit drafts while Caroll was there, and they slipped as a team each year. Since a lot of people thought Buffalo was going to make a leap this year, I'm not sure they are much worse than the roster Bellicheck inherited.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #39
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
As for the talent situation in New England, I disagree. They had some shit drafts while Caroll was there, and they slipped as a team each year. Since a lot of people thought Buffalo was going to make a leap this year, I'm not sure they are much worse than the roster Bellicheck inherited.

So you're saying it was definitely Belichick who won the 2001 SB and not the Patriots? I suppose that could be since everyone was expecting a Rams blowout because they were thought to be a superior team. Of course, it can also be argued that even he didn't win the SB for New England so much as Martz lost it for St. Louis with his hubris.

As for Buffalo, the Lions were also thought to be making a "big leap" this year. Each year, there's always a couple of trendy picks for contenders in the NFL because of how parity works in the league. This year, it was Buffalo, based on their finish in 2004, and the Lions because everyone thought they finally had the talent (3 first-round WRs, wow!). No one thought about the Bears doing what they did or even the Bengals (thought to be a Wild Card) doing what they did. In addition, with New England generally ruling the division and Miami already in the ascendant, it'll be difficult to see how Buffalo can advance from where they are for a bit yet.

Then again, Miami's a sure-fire bet to be a "trendy" pick next year. A new coach's first year generally doesn't tell the whole story. It's the ones after the expectations have been raised that do. It could be that Buffalo could perform better if no one's watching out for them like they were this year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:30 AM   #40
lytic
College Benchwarmer

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Jauron could be a pretty good coach. Did he win Coach of the year the year before he was fired?
Hattrick Moderator (since Season 22)
Evil Gargs' Hater (since Season 18)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
My Pro Soccer Story
lytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #41
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1
I really hope Dick works out.

Heh heh.

As a Bears fan, I silently weep for you, Buffalo. A very good family friend is from Buffalo, so I know the passion of Bills fans, and all I can say is, sorry.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #42
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
So you're saying it was definitely Belichick who won the 2001 SB and not the Patriots? I suppose that could be since everyone was expecting a Rams blowout because they were thought to be a superior team. Of course, it can also be argued that even he didn't win the SB for New England so much as Martz lost it for St. Louis with his hubris.

As a Rams fan, yes Martz lost it for St. Louis.

In the post-mortem with a guy who was a Pats fan that I worked with, Martz lost it for the Rams. Also, incidently, we both agreed that the MVP of the Super Bowl was not Brady, but the entire New England secondary.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote