Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #51
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Sorry, MIJB, I'm taking care of Blade over in the WW thread.. can I take a raincheck and all that?

seriously, it was the USA B+ Squad 5, Norway B+ Squad 0.
Taking care of me? I laugh in your general direction
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #52
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Taking care of me? I laugh in your general direction

Get it right, binky Go strong or don't go at all...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #53
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Yeah, their teams played, but of course they didn't, still being injured and all...

Humiliate me. Right here, in this thread. I deserve it.

It sounds like you have needs that can't be met in this thread.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #54
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I think you'd have a lot easier go of it if you gave up your little crusade for Europe and admitted that the U.S.A. outclass a lot of teams that you don't want to admit.
I'm not on a crusade for Europe so there's nothing to give up. I don't even care about the other European countries' soccer teams. I'd be happy if the USA would show teams like France, England, Spain and Italy what they're worth and why they got as deep or even further into WC'02.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #55
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
It sounds like you have needs that can't be met in this thread.
I'd lie if I would say I don't find the discussion about an international friendly between reserves of reserves a bit silly. Maybe I should have known better and kept away. But I really didn't mean anything with my comment about Norway playing with a B squad, other than pointing out that it is a B squad and the result of the game shouldn't boast the confidence for the World Cup too much. I rooted for the USA throughout the WC'02 and have a little thing for them with a couple of players with ties to Dutch teams. The group stage draw is bad enough and I honestly fear the worst for the USA.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #56
Desnudo
Coordinator

I was just joking around about the humiliate me, I deserve it comment (sex joke). Lost in internet translation I guess. I like that international people comment on US sports teams.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #57
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
...have a little thing for them with a couple of players...

Which ones? Maybe we can find you some pics.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #58
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Which ones? Maybe we can find you some pics.

I know my google!

I'll dare you to find a John O'Brien picture in an FC Utrecht jersey. :P
Old 01-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #59
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know my google!

I'll dare you to find a John O'Brien picture in an FC Utrecht jersey. :P

Haha, another translation issue, I suspect.

"Have a thing for someone" is an idiomatic way of saying that you want to be sexually involved with them.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i don't think it boosted any of our confidences about the WC. what it did though was give us a look at some "bubble" players. and that is something that we don't get to see as often here in the USA, so we may tend to gush about them a little. but all of us (here at least) are smart enough to realize this was a B-squad against a B-squad.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Haha, another translation issue, I suspect.

"Have a thing for someone" is an idiomatic way of saying that you want to be sexually involved with them.
I know, I know. I tried to play along with the joke.

But did you find the pic yet? O'Brien's wearing the same jersey design I have a replica of. Pretty neat since he never played in that one as it was from the season before he got to Utreg and they used that design for just one season.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #62
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Ok, so while I was watching the game yesterday, I went onto the national team website and noticed that they were playing a match against Guatemala here in Frisco on 2/19. For those who have gone to a national team match before, how long could one wait to get tickets? Do these friendlies sell out at all? I want to go but it may be a week or two before I can buy tickets.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #63
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Ok, so while I was watching the game yesterday, I went onto the national team website and noticed that they were playing a match against Guatemala here in Frisco on 2/19. For those who have gone to a national team match before, how long could one wait to get tickets? Do these friendlies sell out at all? I want to go but it may be a week or two before I can buy tickets.

Well against an European team I'd be shocked if a friendly sold out, but this is against Guatemala in California, so you can expect a large Hispanic presence in the crowd. Of course it probably depends on where they are playing and the size of the stadium.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #64
moriarty
College Starter

Dola,

Overall observations:
Even for a "B-team" 5,000 miles from home that Norway team on the field was god awful.

Twellman (finally) looked very good, not just with the goals but with some strong back tackling as well. Twellman probably put himself in the front running to win one of the striker slots (I'm assuming McBride and EJ if healthy are in) as no one else, see Ching, have really stepped up. I still think this is our weakest position going into the WC especially without a fit EJ.

Dempsey was amazing in the first half. He kinda faded in the second half though. Not sure if this was the fact the match was in hand, but this is the second time I've seen him kinda fade in the second half. Of course Twellman and some of the others did too.

Noonan was poor, and nonexistant except for some bad passes. Disappointing.

Defense was untested, hard to draw any conclusions there. Hedjuk will probably win a spot, but he worries me at right back. He seems to always look for the forward run (don't know if that's Arena's strategy or not) but against a better team he's gonna get caught.

Very suprised Norway didn't attack the ball more. Given time the USA players can pick their spots, but I think if they're pressured constantly on the ball their lack of technical abilities will show. I know they're quick, but I'm not sure there's many people on that squad that could dribble past a decent team.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #65
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Well against an European team I'd be shocked if a friendly sold out, but this is against Guatemala in California, so you can expect a large Hispanic presence in the crowd. Of course it probably depends on where they are playing and the size of the stadium.
This game's actually in Frisco, TX where FC Dallas plays. Any difference? There are tickets still available right now and we're just 3 weeks away from the game. I'm hoping I'm safe for another week...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #66
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
This game's actually in Frisco, TX where FC Dallas plays. Any difference? There are tickets still available right now and we're just 3 weeks away from the game. I'm hoping I'm safe for another week...

Sorry, my bad (I didn't look up the actual site). Still a large Hispanic population, but I think you'll be ok.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #67
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

You should be fine -- I don't think a non-Mexico USMNT game has sold out in years, including qualifiers.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:55 AM   #68
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Very suprised Norway didn't attack the ball more. Given time the USA players can pick their spots, but I think if they're pressured constantly on the ball their lack of technical abilities will show. I know they're quick, but I'm not sure there's many people on that squad that could dribble past a decent team.
Norway is known for their defensive style. That's what made them succesful and that's what they'll continue to play. Even after the WC'94 debacle, where they went out on # of goals scored, and the Euro2000 drama, where they went out, thinking a 0-0 draw would suffice and they ended up not making it as in the other game Spain scored twice in the final minutes to beat Yugoslavia 4-3, on the h-t-h loss versus Yugoslavia. In WC'98 they got lucky with it, as they had to play an already qualified Brazil and were handed an easy win, making them make it into the second round in stead of Morocco.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 01-31-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #69
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Norway is known for their defensive style. That's what made them succesful and that's what they'll continue to play. Even after the WC'94 debacle, where they went out on # of goals scored, and the Euro2000 drama, where they went out, thinking a 0-0 draw would suffice and they ended up not making it as in the other game Spain scored twice in the final minutes to beat Yugoslavia 4-3, on the h-t-h loss versus Yugoslavia. In WC'98 they got lucky with it, as they had to play an already qualified Brazil and were handed an easy win, making them make it into the second round in stead of Morocco.

That's why i was suprised. I didn't say attack with the ball, I said attack the ball (i.e. actually confront the players on defense). I mean the USA players had all day at the edge of Norway's box to let players make runs, and pick out passing lanes. They were rarely challenged agressively by the defenders. I guess the younger Norway players were just overmatched.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #70
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
That's why i was suprised. I didn't say attack with the ball, I said attack the ball (i.e. actually confront the players on defense). I mean the USA players had all day at the edge of Norway's box to let players make runs, and pick out passing lanes. They were rarely challenged agressively by the defenders. I guess the younger Norway players were just overmatched.
I play my foreign language card here, even though it doesn't apply, I simply missread that.

Maybe it helped that the USA players were trying to prove to be world cup worthy, while the Norwegian guys are just coming back from/ are still on winter break and having nothing to prove in that game? Just a theory though, it does makes sense for a devensive minded team to give up once they're 2-0 down. I mean, if your trait is winning games 1-0 or 2-1 in a rare case, it's far fetched to score 3 goals. They just can't score 3 times, they don't know how to.

Or the USA simply has/had a better, faster playing team. I mean, the MLS is probably no top10 league in the world, but would still rank above the Norwegian league. Every guy who scores two goals in a game in Norway gets scouted and leaves Scandinavia. The MLS is apparently still undervalued and better talent doesn't get scouted by the second/third tier clubs in Europe. Although, the tide seems to be turning. For example, it looks like dutch clubs have discovered that big land mass across the big pond.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:29 PM   #71
Galaril
Pro Starter

BTW, I did the Netherlands national team qualify for this World Cup or are they out (ie.WC 02)?

Last edited by Galaril : 01-31-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #72
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
BTW, I did the Netherlands national team qualify for this World Cup or are they out (ie.WC 02)?

Holland cruised their group (losing only once IIRC), they were the joint best looking in Euro qualifying with England IMHO.

Last edited by tanglewood : 01-31-2006 at 11:37 PM.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM   #73
Galaril
Pro Starter

Not that the rankings mean a lot but I see they are #3 in FIFA's poll.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 AM   #74
Desnudo
Coordinator

Marco van Bastien really turned them around.