Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Which one feature would most you like to see implemented or improved in FOF6?

You can only pick one!

Me, I'd like the game to be more customizable in terms of number of teams, cities, expansion, season length, etc.

Edit: There is no poll for this. Just wanted people to list their most-wanted improvement.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-14-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I pick blank
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
John Galt
Pro Starter

I think 5 minutes to prepare a poll is the max. I pick the inevitable trout option.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sorry. No actual poll. Open-ended question!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I can't remember what you call it, technically, but I'd like to be able to interact with multiple windows simultaneously. For instance, I'd like to have the "Recommend Player" window open, and be searching, but be able to go back to, and scroll through, my roster window, without having to lose my search.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Any enhancement that would keep my dumbass coach from repeatedly attempting 57-yard field goals in the middle of the 2nd quarter of a close game would be welcome.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Any enhancement that would keep my dumbass coach from repeatedly attempting 57-yard field goals in the middle of the 2nd quarter of a close game would be welcome.
I've found it helps to get a kicker whose power is lower. Then your coach won't try those 57-yarders early on (of course, you won't be able to hit those 57-yarders late in the game when you need to).
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the ability to field a team of mini ditkas
Old 02-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

An improvement in the draft sim so that a team wont spend a high first round pick several years in a row on the same position, then sit a few of those guys on the bench (draft a LT in the top 3 a few years in a row and instead of switching position/trading down/drafting another position one guy spends 5 years behind the other).

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 02-14-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Icy
Pro Starter

I think i have posted this on every FOF6 suggestions thread, but here it goes again:

Players/coaches personalities and a media/news system.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I can't remember what you call it, technically, but I'd like to be able to interact with multiple windows simultaneously. For instance, I'd like to have the "Recommend Player" window open, and be searching, but be able to go back to, and scroll through, my roster window, without having to lose my search.

Oops, forgot the "can only have one" rule.

Perhaps positions other than quarterback having an impact on team success.

Last edited by Samdari : 02-14-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
st.cronin
General Manager

Make it more like CM in every respect.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
SFL Cat
College Starter

Better late game clock management.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #14
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I'm cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Better late game clock management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Players/coaches personalities

Yes and yes. Would *really* like to see an improved/more complex chemistry system.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
Terps
College Prospect

Bring back expansion.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm not sure this is the very top of my list, but here's something I have been thinking about.

I'd like to see a bit more stratifying of player "types" in the game. Oddly enough, I think a good deal of this can actually be connected to soemthing that we don't currently take seriously -- height and weight.

I'd liek to see some additional ratings that get to specific situational skills for various positions -- things like:

-A defensive lineman's ability to interfere with or bat down passes at the line
-A quarterback's ability to overcome such attempts

-A defensive back's ability to make a "jam" at the line of scrimmage on a receiver
-A receiver's ability to overcome such attempts

I'm sure there are more examples, but I think a little more nuancing of the attributes for players would add to the richness of the game. And it might help us have a deeper sense of "personality" for the players in the game, or for our teams -- right now, it's pretty hard (to me, at least) to determine what kind of personality most teams in FOF have -- even in the leagues I follow very closely. In real football, it's not too tough to labal a team as a "finesse" team or a "smashmouth" team ... in FOF, it just seems tougher. It's not like some teams don't try to stop the run, or some teams don't try to get fast players... we all pursue guys who are generally good at everything. Some teams certainly pass more than run and vice versa, but that's about the end of the personality differences, it seems to me.

I wonder if there could be a deeper element introduced by adding a few more components to the player profile. The current "punishing hitter" seems like a nice overture in this direction... and if I had any meaningful clue what it actually does in the game, I might be inclined to say "yes, do more of that kind of thing." Same goes for some of the other existing "secondary" ratings -- maybe the game needs more of that sort of thing. *shurg*

Maybe the game could even assemble these ratings in some way -- like when you look at the "scouting report" for a given opponent, maybe you get some consolidated view of some of these secondary ratings? I'd love to have that for an opposing defense -- some measure, by my scout's eye's, of how strong the opposing personnel is at various things. Even if it's limited to some of these secondary things -- it would be exciting to be able to measure your team's aggreated "risk-taking" rating against another team, or that sort of thing -- even at the level of "Deflecting/batting thrown passes" rating for your defensive front as a unit.

It does seem to me that some of this could trace back (in a meaningful way) to the player's size. A big, physical cornerback ought to have some secondary skills that wouldn't necessarily show up in pure coverage -- maybe things that would make him a better fit for a certain style of coverage than another. Maybe a guy with a good "jam receiver at line" rating would naturally be better suited to bump coverage, while a guy with a lower rating there might naturally excel in zone or loose man coverage? Maybe a receiver who is fairly small in stature should have a natural/general speed advantage, but should suffer a bit in overcoming the attempted jam? Maybe all this gets connected, to some degree, to height and weight?

In any event... I think there's a fine line between adding stuff because it enhances the game, and adding stuff just for the sake of adding stuff. The fact that I/we don't really understand all the stuff that's already in the game makes me reluctant to ask for more... but I think a well-conceived transition to a somewhat broader range of player skils could add an excellent new dimension to this game.

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-14-2006 at 01:20 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #17
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus
An improvement in the draft sim so that a team wont spend a high first round pick several years in a row on the same position, then sit a few of those guys on the bench (draft a LT in the top 3 a few years in a row and instead of switching position/trading down/drafting another position one guy spends 5 years behind the other).
Lions and WRs....
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #18
Icy
Pro Starter

Related to your post Qwicksand, one of the things i really miss are basic sportsmen attributes, like speed for example. Shouldn't we know how fast is a cornerback? I guess that speed attribute is built into the "m2m coverage" for example, but i would like to see it somewhere.

In fact the whole defence scheme is still something really vague to me. We have reached the conclusion that it's better to run more b&r for example if our players are better at it, but if you click on recommend, the AI never sets your team for more b&r even if your guys are crap at the other defensive schemes and awesome at it. That makes me wonder if we are wrong, or the AI is just A.

Last edited by Icy : 02-14-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #19
Anthony
Banned

there are no new features i'd like to see, rather, as i've stated before, just show a natural "evolution/improvement" of existing features. i'm a simple man.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #20
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Tt has to have an import function for existing MP leagues.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #21
WebEwbank
High School JV

Player & coach personalities. Nicknames. Attitudes. Girlfriends. Boyfriends. Real life...
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Lions and WRs....

True, but at least 2 of those 3 can start, and if you run a 3 wide set all of them start. I am talking about drafting Nose Tackles a couple years in a row or 3 out of 4 years high in the draft and having 2 top 10 draft picks sit behind a guy and not have their positions switched so they can start, especially when other guys starting are far lower rated. Having 2 stud LTs and a scrub RT starting while one of the LTs is on the bench makes no sense. Either swithc one to the right side, trade the pick, or draft someone else at a position of need.I see quite a bit of drafting players at the same position and having one sit the bench while RFA start at other positions of need.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
Flasch186
Coordinator

put VPI's draft utility in there and make that somehow be able to be internet based, Like VPI's is, and then make it stupid proof to set up and manipulate, so VPI doesnt have to do it for every leaguethere is.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #24
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The ability to do cross-screen dumps of data. Every screen should have a "Print" button, and if I have the "Roster" window open I want to dump all columns. Plus, I'd like CSV-export of ALL player-accessible data.

Basically I want Jim to make FOFExtractor obsolete...
Old 02-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #25
wishbone
High School JV

I'd like to see a more dynamic universe. Expansion and contraction, dramatic economic changes, player drain (WWII, USFL) could all contribute to a league that could change quite a lot.

I am no programmer and have no idea what kind of work I am suggesting to one, but it would be cool.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I want the sim to more accurately represent a GM job with more options:

More contract options including various special clauses
More realistic roster requirements (Some teams in recent memory only had two QBs, no FBs, etc)
Practice Squad
Transition Tag
A more realistic Tag and RFA system (where you can bid on ther teams' players but give up compensation if they are taken) including the three offers that you can make to an RFA (in this regard, TPF is better)
A more nebulous draft - instead of knowing the possibilities for several candidates, have some cndiates scouted at the combine and have more realistic numbers for them, less realistic numbers for others.
More financial choices for the franchise (Staidum naming fees, refreshments, souvenirs, etc.)
Expansion
More detailed stadium construction
Marketing and special days
Much more media involvement.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-14-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote