Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Tivo/DVR

A couple days ago I had the sudden itch to go out and buy a tivo, but was dismayed to find that a home phone was needed to operate the system. I’ve had a cell phone and no home number for several years now and I don’t plan on changing.

So on to my question. Is there anything comparable to tivo? I’ve seen DVR’s for sale, but I’m not sure how they work. I would assume they work similar to VCR’s. Also, I know about satellite, but I’ll wait on that one until I move into a house. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 02-17-2006 at 02:28 PM.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
A couple days ago I had the sudden itch to go out and buy a tivo, but was dismayed to find that a home phone was needed to operate the system. I’ve had a cell phone and no home number for several years now and I don’t plan on changing.

So on to my question. Is there anything comparable to tivo? I’ve seen DVR’s for sale, but I’m not sure how they work. I would assume they work similar to VCR’s. Also, I know about satellite, but I’ll wait until I move into a house. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Certain cable companies (if you have cable) can provide DVR boxes which work just like TIVO. I have my DVR through Cox Cable.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Tivo also has a new version coming out this year. Hopefully it'll work with a home network out of the box.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm pretty sure that I've seen people post here and elsewhere that you don't actually need the landline. And now that I think about it, I have a buddy who has a Tivo and he told me that he doesn't have a landline...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I'm pretty sure that I've seen people post here and elsewhere that you don't actually need the landline. And now that I think about it, I have a buddy who has a Tivo and he told me that he doesn't have a landline...

you usually need the landline for the initial call, to activate the unit. you can just take it to a friends house, though, hook in, call, and then take it back to your place and set it up on your network and itll work fine forever.

that said, when i switched to HDTV, adelphia's box came with a DVR. which beats TiVo in 2 ways:

1 - dual tuner. i can record 2 things, and watch a 3rd, previously recorded show...

2 - records in HD.

i know TiVo is addressing these 2 issues with their next box, but really, I think DVRs will muscle TiVo out. no equipment to buy, and a cheaper price per month.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
you usually need the landline for the initial call, to activate the unit. you can just take it to a friends house, though, hook in, call, and then take it back to your place and set it up on your network and itll work fine forever.

This is what we did, and it works just fine.

Quote:
1 - dual tuner. i can record 2 things, and watch a 3rd, previously recorded show...

We have directTV w/ TiVO and this is how it works for us as well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

If you have DirecTV with TiVo you won't need a phone connection. If you're buying a standalone TiVo, it will be pretty useless without being able to download the program schedules over the phone.

EDIT... I sometimes forget just how much more advanced the standalone units are than the DirecTV ones. You can network the standalones into your LAN and do everything you need to over the net.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-18-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well you only need it for the initial call, after that you can plug it into the network. Taking it to a friends house ought to work fine though.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote