Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Baen Books rocks (Free books)

Everyone knows how they sell e-books, for a reasonable price ($4 or $5 for newer stuff, $12 for Advanced Reader Copies before they even go to PRINT)..

They've also made a habit of putting E-Book CD's in their newest hardcover.. to try to get you to read new series and such.

Now here's the really cool thing.. They've said far and wide.. "Freel free to copy and/or give away these CD's.. as long as no money changes hands, fell free to spread it far and wide.

Ladies and gentlemen, Baen GETS IT.

I literally look for Baen books when I'm out, because they treat the customer as a customer, and not as would be thieves.

If you're looking for something to read.. here's a link to a site that has all Nine CD's online (with Baen's permission),

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-26-2006 at 02:58 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Everyone knows how they sell e-books, for a reasonable price ($4 or $5 for newer stuff, $12 for Advanced Reader Copies before they even go to PRINT)..

I paid $3 for "On Basilisk Station."

...Or would have, had I not acquired it with some other Baen titles in Borders' recent "Buy 3 sci-fi, get 1 free" sale.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, it's better for the newer stuff.. on the month it's released it's $4 or $5 for the ebook when the Hardcover is like $20..

I found it useful for bundles.. and of course the Advance Reader Copies

when you read the Belisarius series as many times as I did, knowing the last book (The Dance Of Time) wasn't going to be out in paper form until May/June..), being able to read it in Advanced Reader Copy format for $12 in NOVEMBER was great
Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Agreed and agreed.

Plus, they have Baen's Bar (their message board) which is every bit as geeky as ours is. Although I can't stand the software they use.

Also, they have people like John Ringo who rose from the ranks of Barfly (board member) to author. That just rocks.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

John Ringo rocks.
(Says the guy who just recently devoured the entire Legacy of the Aldenata series like a starving man would attack a steak)
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Jon: Have you read the Council Wars Series?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Haven't read any of it, sorry to say that I only discovered Ringo a few weeks ago. I happened to see Watch on the Rhine & it caught my eye, I loved the concept, and ended up doing something I've rarely done before: bought the entire series in one batch & read them continuously until I was finished.

Rated for pure enjoyment, perhaps the only series in my whole life that would compare was Jack Chalker's Well of Souls series (and I literally read those until the covers fell off & I had to buy new ones).

Anyhoo, breathless fanboying now complete -- does the Council Wars series have a similar feel to The Aldenata? If so, I guess there's probably another reading binge in my future.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's a strange combination of scifi and fantasy.. I really like it..

Humans have conquered every frontier. They are able to modify themselves through nannites to live at the bottom of the ocean (growing gills and such, forexample), or if they wanted to, inside an active volcano (using a shield made of pure power). The average human lives for centuries.

However, with folks more focusing on the self, the birth rate has declined very dramatically.. if it continues to nose dive the way it is going, then the human race will drop below self-sustaining levels within several generations.

One group on the Council (which controls the Sentient AI known as "Mother", tasked with protecting all threats to Earth).. decides Something Must be Done.. and tries to take over the council, trying to make sure that humanity must continue to thrive and earn their way in the world..

Of course, when they don't win in the first strike.. none of the power that the Council uses through Mother is available.. and all that technology just stops working. Needless to say, if you were an extreme isolationist, you were in deep trouble! So now, the population of the world is suddenly thrown back to a very different time.. and the factions are still fighting each other...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola:

If you want to read more of John's stuff (including the first three books of the Council series).. it's available here:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/08-GhostCD/GhostCD/
Old 01-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
John Ringo rocks.
(Says the guy who just recently devoured the entire Legacy of the Aldenata series like a starving man would attack a steak)

JiMGA, are you talking about just the four-book Aldenata, or are you including the satellite books? There's Cally's War, which doesn't strictly focus on the Aldenata, and then there's The Watch on the Rhine (Die Wacht am Rhein), which is apparently written by one of the Barflies with Ringo's assistance and blessing, and follows the Posleen invasion of Europe.

Both are worth reading, if you haven't already.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
JiMGA, are you talking about just the four-book Aldenata, or are you including the satellite books? There's Cally's War, which doesn't strictly focus on the Aldenata, and then there's The Watch on the Rhine (Die Wacht am Rhein), which is apparently written by one of the Barflies with Ringo's assistance and blessing, and follows the Posleen invasion of Europe.

Both are worth reading, if you haven't already.

Just finished Cally's War a little over a week ago. A fine read, albeit a little sad to me (while not entirely realistic to say the least, I thought she was a great character in the main 4 books). And it was wanting to read Die Wacht am Rhein that caused me to pick up the original 4 in the first place (yes, I actually made myself wait until I finished the full series before starting the satellite). I am, as far as I know, current on the whole set right now, including the two satellites.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Just finished Cally's War a little over a week ago. A fine read, albeit a little sad to me (while not entirely realistic to say the least, I thought she was a great character in the main 4 books). And it was wanting to read Die Wacht am Rhein that caused me to pick up the original 4 in the first place (yes, I actually made myself wait until I finished the full series before starting the satellite). I am, as far as I know, current on the whole set right now, including the two satellites.

There is, if I'm not mistaken, one additional book. I've not read it, because it was in hardcover and I didn't have $28 to spend, but I believe it's a satellite that follows the war on Aldenata turf. I'll have to look it up and see if I can find the title.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

Fozz (or anyone):

Which one of these CDs would you most recommend?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

depends on what series you want to read..

I love David Weber's Honorverse series.. and most of the books are in the first CD (the newer ones are on the At All Costs CD)

Space Opera/Battles with a political element to it too
Old 01-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #15
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
There is, if I'm not mistaken, one additional book. I've not read it, because it was in hardcover and I didn't have $28 to spend, but I believe it's a satellite that follows the war on Aldenata turf. I'll have to look it up and see if I can find the title.
Would that be the collaboration with Michael Z Williamson, Hero? I'm curious about that one as well, although that will probably be a checked-out-from-library book for me.

Next one I buying will probably be Into The Looking Glass just because that seems interesting. And, based on the book jacket, the guy reminds me a bit of Michael O'Neal. Although The Princess of Wands could be interesting as well. And The Paladin of Shadows serie is . . . different.

-----

I love the battle scenes in the Harrington serie. Can't stand the politic (which is probably why I can't read any George RR Martin book, in spite of the high praises I have heard).

I end up skipping the rest of the crap until I get to the next battle scene.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:24 AM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

No, Into The Looking Glass wasn't the one I was thinking of (although it does look interesting).

Hero looks like it's probably the one I meant.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #17
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Of the ones I mentioned, Hero is the only one that's a part of the Aldenata universe.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just to update a bit here, I have just finished the first two books of the Council Wars & need to pick up the third either before next week's vacation or after (I almost hate to waste a good book on a trip, I need the escape more when I'm here, y'know). Plus, I've got Hero ready & waiting to be read IF I can stay away from it until we leave.

I thought Council Wars was maybe a little below the Aldenata series but that's certainly not a criticism, anything would be hard pressed to match it for pure enjoyment in my eyes. Actually, I thought some of the CW characters were better (both Bast & Joanna particularly stand out to me) and the universe is actually better too I think, but I wasn't quite as ... engaged ... as I found myself with the other set.

In any event, hearty recommendations for both & thanks for the tip on the CW series, very much worth the time. I've got to keep an eye out to see if Ringo does any appearances anywhere, he lives less than an hour from where we're moving to, so I figure if he's out & about anywhere I ought to have a good chance to see him. (Given his references & tactics for defending the home, however, I don't believe I'll just drop by his house unannounced )
Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just to update a bit here, I have just finished the first two books of the Council Wars & need to pick up the third either before next week's vacation or after (I almost hate to waste a good book on a trip, I need the escape more when I'm here, y'know). Plus, I've got Hero ready & waiting to be read IF I can stay away from it until we leave.

I thought Council Wars was maybe a little below the Aldenata series but that's certainly not a criticism, anything would be hard pressed to match it for pure enjoyment in my eyes. Actually, I thought some of the CW characters were better (both Bast & Joanna particularly stand out to me) and the universe is actually better too I think, but I wasn't quite as ... engaged ... as I found myself with the other set.

In any event, hearty recommendations for both & thanks for the tip on the CW series, very much worth the time. I've got to keep an eye out to see if Ringo does any appearances anywhere, he lives less than an hour from where we're moving to, so I figure if he's out & about anywhere I ought to have a good chance to see him. (Given his references & tactics for defending the home, however, I don't believe I'll just drop by his house unannounced )

Cool, glad to get folks reading a good series. The other series I'm waiting for more books is the 1632 series, but I have a feeling that it'd spark some very heavy criticism with the lean of the books.. but it's a really good series
Old 06-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, some sad news.. Jim Baen, the creator of the Baen free library, webscriptions and a pretty great guy, has suffered a stroke and is in the hospital.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
BTW, some sad news.. Jim Baen, the creator of the Baen free library, webscriptions and a pretty great guy, has suffered a stroke and is in the hospital.

ack.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #22
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Sucky. Best of luck to him.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #23
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I've discovered great/terrible news in the same thread. Thanks for the link and a wholehearted "good luck" to Jim.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote