Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #201
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
The Falcons couldn't fill the Dome when they went 14-2, but they've filled it up year after year with Vick. There's really no argument in terms of energizing a fanbase. Someone mentioned Vince Young. He's the only young player that I could see filling the Dome like Vick has. Keeping him in Atlanta is a business decision that extends wayyyyyyy beyond stats. I've followed this team for over 30 years and there's never been a time when back-to-back 8-8 and 7-9 have been unacceptable. It's sad to say, but 9-6-1, 11-5, 8-8, and 7-9 (the four seasons with Vick as starting QB) are all in the upper tier of seasons in Falcon history. I'm fairly certain that 11-5 is the third-best Falcon record ever, behind 14-2 in '98 and 12-4 in '80. It's difficult to overstate what Vick has meant in terms of attendance and interest in this franchise.

This is a good point. And a factor to take into account with respect to accepting for now his average/slightly better than average QB skillset. Of course, the owner has to eventually make a decision as to whether he wants to just put butts in the seat or wants to win. That will be his decision.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #202
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
This is a good point. And a factor to take into account with respect to accepting for now his average/slightly better than average QB skillset. Of course, the owner has to eventually make a decision as to whether he wants to just put butts in the seat or wants to win. That will be his decision.

I bet I know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 AM   #203
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I bet I know the answer.
My best guess is that Vick has two seasons to show signs that the team can make a deep playoff run with him at the helm.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #204
RedKingGold
College Starter

The one thing I'm surprised no one has brought up yet (or maybe I missed it) is how Mora refused to build a system around Vick and tried to make him conform to a system. TO is an idiot but the one thing he was right about was that Greg Knapp was a bad offensive coordinator.

While I in no way am attempting to compare Tom Brady to Michael Vick, is there anyone here (besides st.cronin) who thinks that Brady doesn't have weaknesses? There's a reason he fell to the sixth round of the draft. Again, I'm not saying that Brady has no talent, but I believe the system in New England maximzes Brady's talent and minimizes his short comings. When Reeves was coach, he built the offense around Vick, and when Vick started those games the team was pretty successful.

I'm also not saying that Mora trying to employ the "West Coast Offense" did not have its merits. In fact, its value could be seen when Vick was "out" with injury (as other quarterbacks who did not have Vick's skill set could be as or even more successful with Vick).

I like Mike Vick's plight to FOF (as I try to relate most things in life). A quarterback with Vick's skills in FOF would probably have high potential in long and deep passes, and scrambling ability. He'd probably also have mediocre (think low 50's) accuracy and next to nothing in ratings for screen passes, touch passes, timing, etc. Do you try to run a throw short offense with him in FOF? Heck, no! You would try to get receivers that maximize Vick's abilities and offensive tackles with high pass blocking abilities to let Vick get out of the pocket. Had Mora played more FOF, he probably would have been more succesful.

The moral of the story? With Vick's cap number, the Falcons know they are going to be stuck with him for at least two more years. So, why not give him the best opportunity to succeed? He proved with Dan Reeves he could. That's why the hire of Bobby Petrino was a good selection (as would have Ken Whisenhunt). Both have had success using their great playcalling abilities to get the most out of their players (see Whisenhunt with Big Ben).

I say in two years, Petrino will make Vick a winning quarterback again.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-24-2007 at 06:44 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #205
st.cronin
General Manager

I believe the main reason Brady fell to the 6th round was his size. He was really, really skinny in college.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So you're saying Brady might be linked to steroids in some manner?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #207
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So you're saying Brady might be linked to steroids in some manner?

He is a professional football player.

knives out
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #208
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
He is a professional football player.

I thought you were going to say "only his cock is".
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #209
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I thought you were going to say "only his cock is".

That thought says a lot about you.

knives out
Old 01-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #210
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Tom Brady has a cock?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #211
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
That thought says a lot about you.

I could have sworn you were the guy in one thread supporting the fact that tom brady was the greatest fornicator on the planet.