Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Attending A Game At Coors Field

We're going on vacation to Colorado Springs in a couple of weeks, and I plan on taking in a game at Coors Field (vs. the Tigers, no less. Yay! Well, at least I'm from Detroit...) the Thursday before we fly out of Denver.

Can anyone familiar with the park point out particularly good seats for both watching a game and taking in the scenery in and around the park? I'm not looking to sit in the $60 seats and have nachos brought to me, but price is pretty much not an object. however, if there are good seats that are somewhat cheap, as opposed to paying top price to sit behind home plate, I'd like to know.

Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
revrew
Team Chaplain

Went to the All-Star game in Coors few years back. Can't say much about good seats, except that you don't want to sit way up high. The upper seats are a LOOOOOONG way from the field.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

Ksyrup,

There really isn't a bad seat in the house. I've sat in pretty much every part of the park and have yet to be disspointed with the views. Behind home plate offers up the most picturesque view of the park and skyline, but you'll be able to see it from any area.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Chris, what will you be doing in the Springs?

Funny that you mentioned Coors Field, I met up with TroyF at a game there last Sunday. With such small crowds, there are plenty of good seats available. I bought ours a few days before (purchased online, picked them up at the Will Call window) and got $20 seats right behind home plate in the top level. There is not a bad seat in the house. There are plenty of $5-10 parking within 1-4 blocks of the stadium so that's not an issue. The Rocky Mountain Oysters stand is not there anymore but there's still plenty of good eats. Have fun, it really is a great looking park!
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Ksyrup

Thanks for the responses.

I checked online about 3 weeks ago and saw that I pretty much had the run of park. About the only seats taken were the ballboy's.

I plan to do a lot of relaxing with the family that week. We're staying at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort (couldn't afford the Broadmoor - I'm not a partner yet!). We'll probably hit most of the well-known spots, take a trip up (further) into the mountains, maybe take our daughter horseback riding, etc. A whole lot o' nothin', I hope!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-30-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

You will be staying about 2 miles from where I live! Be sure to add the zoo which is the only mountain zoo in the world, if caged animals are your thing. If you want a nice easy hike in the mountains, right down the road is Cheyenne Canyon with many trails. Hopefully you can be able to get quite further in the mountains instead of just around Pikes Peak (which is also good to go up). But being a real flatlander as you are, seeing an anthill would be like seeing a mountain.

To the rest of you, Colorado Springs sits at about 6,500 feet on the average, much higher than Denver which is only a mile high. And also unlike Denver which the mountains are quite far away, the Springs sits right up against the mountains, dominated by 14,000+ feet Pikes Peak.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I attended a game at Coors Field while on a business trip a few years back, and it is probably the best stadium I've ever been to (toss-up with the Ballpark at Arlington). I would echo that there is not a bad seat in the house. I sat in the Rockpile in centerfield (I think the tix cost either $1 or $5) and loved it. Regardless of where you sit, I would recommend at least walking to the upper deck on the third base side of the stadium (IIRC). It is so high that you get an awesome view of the ballpark with the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
You will be staying about 2 miles from where I live! Be sure to add the zoo which is the only mountain zoo in the world, if caged animals are your thing. If you want a nice easy hike in the mountains, right down the road is Cheyenne Canyon with many trails. Hopefully you can be able to get quite further in the mountains instead of just around Pikes Peak (which is also good to go up). But being a real flatlander as you are, seeing an anthill would be like seeing a mountain.

To the rest of you, Colorado Springs sits at about 6,500 feet on the average, much higher than Denver which is only a mile high. And also unlike Denver which the mountains are quite far away, the Springs sits right up against the mountains, dominated by 14,000+ feet Pikes Peak.

Wow! I didn't realize you were in CS.

We're definitely doing the zoo, for our daughter. As I walked around Disney's Animal Kingdom this past Sunday, feeling as if I was dying of a heat stroke, I told my wife about 6 different times, "I can't wait until we get to Colorado so we can see these same animals without actually feeling like we are in an African desert." They can keep the beaches and the humidity of Florida - that's the last thing I want in June, right before we head into 4-5 solid months of 90 degree weather here.

By the same token, I'm not sure how much hiking we'll be able to do with a 3.5 year old. Is that train that goes up Pike's Peak worth doing, or should we just drive ourselves?
Old 05-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

With a pre-schooler, I qould guess driving yourselves would be better.

Folks like Fritz whine too much about visiting the Springs and saying how dry it is. To me, it's perfect (which means I'll be whining about the humidity when I'm in VA). Our days can get fairly warm (80+ degrees) but the nights are so great. No matter how hot it gets during the day (never over 100 though), it always cools down to less than 59 degrees (due to the altitude) with a nice mountain breeze (or wind sometimes). I drive the resort's golf course every day and wished I played golf because that really is a beautiful course. But at least it'll be nice just to sit on a balcony overlooking the course with Cheyenne Mountain in the background.

By the way, I live just to the left of this photo.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:08 PM   #10
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

By the way, I live just to the left of this photo.

All I see to the left of the photo is empty yellow space. Must be a boring place to live.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 01:16 PM   #11
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

And to continue to pimp for Colorado Springs tourism, here is the standard downtown shot with Pikes Peak in the background. Cheyenne Mountain is off to the left.

That's funny, scooper, because way off to the left of the golfer is Eastern Colorado and Kansas, truly boring places.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And to continue to pimp for Colorado Springs tourism, here is the standard downtown shot with Pikes Peak in the background. Cheyenne Mountain is off to the left.

That's funny, scooper, because way off to the left of the golfer is Eastern Colorado and Kansas, truly boring places.

They may be, but that shot is beautiful.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #13
Ksyrup

I think I can see your feet in the pond, in the extreme left section of that picture. Do you have a 1 or 2 story lilly pad?
Old 05-30-2003, 03:01 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Folks like Fritz whine too much about visiting the Springs and saying how dry it is. To me, it's perfect (which means I'll be whining about the humidity when I'm in VA).

Colorado is indeed very dry. Be sure to pack some skin lotion if you tend to dry out easily.

Coors field is a great ballpark. My dad and I went to quite a few games there after it first opened up and I was still living with the old folks. Always had a great time at the games. Have fun there...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:02 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To the rest of you, Colorado Springs sits at about 6,500 feet on the average, much higher than Denver which is only a mile high.

A mile equals 5280 ft.

I thought I would save you all the trouble of running to that handy weights and measures book I know you have hanging around in a closet somewhere.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:42 PM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
A mile equals 5280 ft.

I have that memorized because back in the day when the Nuggets were actually good lots of Nugs fans wore T-shirts that said "Mount Mutombo: Elevation 5287 feet". Who would have thought that the Nuggets would have tought me something useful...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-30-2003 at 03:42 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

I got really sick on the top of Pikes Peak when I was little. Damn asthma! At least it wasn't as bad as my mom's experience when she fainted in the bathroom due to the low oxygen at that altitude.

Ksyrup, you and your family should be GUZZLING water for about a week before you go out there, especially if you're going up Pikes Peak. If you're not all getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night for a few nights before you leave, you're probably not drinking enough.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:06 PM   #18
Blackadar
Retired

Back to Coors field.

Section 105 is awesome. It's the Rightfield box seats, with great views of the action, homers and a backdrop of the Rocky Mountains.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/col/ticketing/col_seating_pricing.jsp?club_context=col
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:06 PM   #19
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Must be a good view and a great experience ...well ENJOY!!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 11:26 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I visit Colorado often and the best seats, imo, are the ones in the OF. A friend of mine has season tickets 5 rows from leftfield.

Just remember to get a Coors Light or two for me! I'll be there the week of June 22nd.

I've tried countless times to get my wife to move there as I can transfer anytime I want.

Have fun!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:34 PM   #21
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm related to the guy who named Pikes Peak.

Zebulon Pike was his name.

Be ready for a lot of homeruns...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote