Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

CIN: Matthews Signed, Akili Cut

from NFL.com
----------------

In a move that augurs the end of the Akili Smith tenure with the club, the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday morning signed quarterback Shane Matthews, ESPN.com confirmed through league sources.

Matthews, 32, auditioned for Bengals officials and coaches Thursday and was said to have made a good impression. A nine-year veteran, he signed a one-year contract for the NFL minimum of $655,000 for a player of his seniority. Because of a rule implemented last year, which provides a cap discount when franchises sign a veteran to a minimum-salary deal, he will count just $450,000 against Cincinnati's 2003 salary cap.

The former University of Florida star played for the Washington Redskins in 2002, and started seven games, completing 124 of 237 passes for 1,251 yards, with 11 touchdown passes and six interceptions. He signed with Tampa Bay as an unrestricted free agent earlier this spring, but was released recently, after the Bucs selected Chris Simms in the third round of the draft.

Over the past week, the Bengals have been mulling their options at quarterback, and Matthews was one of four players under consideration by first-year coach Marvin Lewis and his staff.

Lewis apprised agent Kennard McGuire on Saturday afternoon that the Bengals will release Smith on Monday. The third overall player chosen in the '99 draft, and one of five quarterbacks selected in the first round that year, Smith, 27, has been a huge disappointment.

"At least now, I know exactly what is going to happen, and I'm able to move forward," Smith said on Saturday evening, from his home in the San Diego area. "It's hard to live with the doubt, even when you think you know what's coming, so this is a positive in a lot of ways. I'm ready to move on and I still think I can play, and can be a starter, in the league."

In four seasons, the former University of Oregon star played in just 22 games and started 17 of them. He completed 215 of 461 passes for 2,212 yards, with five touchdown passes and 13 interceptions. His passer efficiency rating was an anemic 52.8.

Over that period, the Bengals invested $12.09 million in signing bonus and base salary payments to Smith, who was scheduled to earn the minimum base salary of $530,000 for the 2003 campaign. By waiting until after June 1 to release Smith, he will count $1.85 million against the Cincinnati salary cap this season and $3.086 million in 2004. The club will realize a rebate of about $530,000 on this year's cap.

Smith has been somewhat philosophical about rumors of his potential release, noting this week that his fate was out of his hands, but insisting that he preferred to remain with the Bengals and battle for a starting job he once felt was his legacy.

When the Bengals chose Smith in 1999, they felt he would be their franchise quarterback for many years, and they turned down a proposed trade with New Orleans that would have netted them the Saints' entire draft class that year.

The release of Smith will end one of the more dismal chapters in Bengals history, given the amount of time and money spent on him, and the minimal return on that investment. Team officials said privately this week that they felt Smith might be best served by a change of scenery. It remains to be seen if any team signs him for training camp.

Cincinnati spent much of the week considering whether it should sign a younger backup quarterback, like journeyman Greg Zolman and Todd Husak, both of whom worked out for coaches. It also considered itinerant veteran Jamie Martin.

In the end, the Bengals decided that, even though they chose Carson Palmer with the first overall pick in this year's draft, they preferred to have a more experienced backup behind starter Jon Kitna. It is believed that Palmer will still be listed as No. 2 on the depth chart, but that Matthews offers a security net should Kitna be injured or prove ineffective early in the season.

The addition of Matthews means the Bengals would not have to rush Palmer into action before he is ready to play.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
sooner333
College Starter

Remember when Akili Smith was supposed to be what Michael Vick is? Wow, things sure have changed. Other than just being on the Bengals, I don't really know what happened to him. Maybe that's just it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Is there any chance that Smith might develop somewhere else? Other QB's have done it. Once that major pressure is off them, all of the sudden they learn to play. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Here's hoping Akili signs elsewhere and becomes a useful part of the club!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Bishop
Mascot

It's possible he could make it on another team, he never got too much of a chance in Cinci, Which shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

22 games with only 17 of them actually being starts over 4 years didn't do anything for his confidence i'm sure. I believe they said that is one of his biggest downsides is his lack of confidence.

So if he got on the right team, and was gave an opportunity to feel out the team and then start out a season where it was HIS team then maybe he'd have a chance.

I mean think about it, I know it'd be a huge blow to my ego if I was benched for Gus Frerotte.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:45 PM   #6
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

He was thrust into one of the worst possible situations for a developing quarterback that really did need time to develop. I don't think he ever got a chance either, and it's one of the reasons that, well, damnMikeBrown.

I very much hope that he catches on with another team, and can progress from a #2 spot and get comfortable in a system.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

I sure hope Jerry Jones doesn't decide that Smith would be a good fit for the 'Boys.

Nah, not even he is that stupid...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Akili is a question mark. Because the Bungles are so awful, we really know nothing about him. We know that he still possesses a lot of physical talent. We know that his development has been stunted. There is no reason to believe he could not go somewhere and be a solid backup or become a 2nd-rate starter. Ironically, his goal at this point should be to become Steve Matthews.

He's not like Ryan Leaf, who anybody with half a brain could have looked at and realized that he was worthless. I don't think he's a Rick Mirer either. But I think he's best shot is go someplace where he can be a backup for now. A situation like Dallas would not be good for him.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Akili was given more of a chance than people think. For example, the local reputation of his work ethic is not that good. Apparently, the next time he picks up a play book will be the first. That could be unfair, though. We shall see. I think it's a good move for both sides.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
Gwalyn
Mascot

"When the Bengals chose Smith in 1999, they felt he would be their franchise quarterback for many years, and they turned down a proposed trade with New Orleans that would have netted them the Saints' entire draft class that year."

Is there any validity to that statement. It was either not made public or I was really out of the loop that year. How did the Bengals turn down an entire draft class for one player and they needed alot of pieces to the puzzle at that time.

Home of the All-Injury Team
Gwalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #11
vtbub
College Starter

Wasn't that the Ricky Draft?

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #12
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
Wasn't that the Ricky Draft?

Yep.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #13
vtbub
College Starter

thought so.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:46 PM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The problem with Akili is that he can't read quickly. His major problem has been an inability to make good, quick decisions. This isn't that surprising when you consider he was really only a one year woder in college. He was able to out perform the opposition physically in college, but couldn't do that in the NFL. This may be the only way to get him to work at being a QB, but I'm not sure that he will ever be able to read and reacte at an NFL level. Too bad the Eagles decided to go with McNabb, things maybe could have been diferent. (An nfortunately, by different I mean McNabb could have sucked!)
Old 06-02-2003, 12:49 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwalyn
"When the Bengals chose Smith in 1999, they felt he would be their franchise quarterback for many years, and they turned down a proposed trade with New Orleans that would have netted them the Saints' entire draft class that year."

Is there any validity to that statement. It was either not made public or I was really out of the loop that year. How did the Bengals turn down an entire draft class for one player and they needed alot of pieces to the puzzle at that time.

It boggles the mind - think of the chance the Bengals wasted to acquire an entire extra drafts-worth of busts.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

The thing thst sticks in my mind about Akili Smith is the Wunderlich (so-called intelligence) test score saga. As I recall, he took the test, and scored very low - enough so ro raise questions in scouts' minds. Then, he apparently got some "coaching" courtesy of Leigh Steinberg (this from memory, but I'm pretty sure LS was his agent) and took the test again. BANG! He notched a super-impressive high score the second time.

I know you can prep for the SATs and boost your score a bit here and there, but I was deeply suspicious of this business about going from the bottom quartile to the top quartile with a re-test. Something stunk to me then... and years later, amidst whispers that the kid is just too lazy and stupid to play effectively, it still does.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:57 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Akili aside... what does Shane Matthews do for this club? I don't hate the guy, but I fail to see how he helps them in any meaningful way. They already have a journeyman starter, and they have the hotshot backup behind him.

What, does Matthews have good handwriting on a clipboard?
Old 06-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #18
wbatl1
High School Varsity

And an entire draft's woth of picks made by a different team that actually can draft successfully.

WB
Old 06-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quik--

In as much as #3 QB is a position on the team like any other, I think that Matthews is one of the best they can get. I think that most teams would be happier with him at #3 taking the vet. minimum than with whoever else they have.

You could argue that, in general, the #3 QB should be a young player, and that the #2 should be the veteran--but because the Bengals have Palmer as their #2, I think it makes sense to get a vet. to be #3.

Assuming that he is not a team cancer type player (I don't really know, but he seems like a decent guy) , he will also be a lot better influence on Palmer than Smith or some other young rookie.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Akili aside... what does Shane Matthews do for this club? I don't hate the guy, but I fail to see how he helps them in any meaningful way.

Cheap and veteran. I'm surprised they didn't go with Zolman, but the #3 will hopefully take 0 snaps in '03 anyway, and they got a guy who they thought might help teach Palmer, IMO.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #21
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I read that the Bengles want to keep Palmer as #3. They dont' want to force him into action too quickly therby putting too much presure on him.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #22
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Akili aside... what does Shane Matthews do for this club? I don't hate the guy, but I fail to see how he helps them in any meaningful way. They already have a journeyman starter, and they have the hotshot backup behind him.

While Palmer may be the official #2 QB, Matthews will in escense be the real emergency QB in case of major injury to Kitna. They don't want to throw Palmer into the fire too early. Matthews is there so there is at least a vet to rely on if needed. He is probably the best experienced vet available who is willing to work cheap and accept the QB status.

The benefit of making Palmer #2 is getting him more snaps with the team's offense in practice.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:47 PM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, I buy all that.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

But unless they think Matthews is a significantly better backup (or just a better person) than Akili Smith, the move is pointless. All the cap "savings" for this year was the money they used to put another QB on the roster (matthews) . In fact they might be slightly worse off financially. To me it would have made more sense to stick it out with Akili and cut him June 1st next year, then you diminish the dead cap space and spread the lesser hit over the next 2 years.

I mean, is Matthews going to be the guy to lead you to a Super Bowl if Kitna goes down?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #25
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Okay, I buy all that.

It's been a long time since this franchise has done things that make sense. We're a bit giddy around here at the appearance that somebody who knows what they are doing is in charge.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
To me it would have made more sense to stick it out with Akili and cut him June 1st next year, then you diminish the dead cap space and spread the lesser hit over the next 2 years.

I mean, is Matthews going to be the guy to lead you to a Super Bowl if Kitna goes down?

Akili's been whining for 2 years now, and he doesn't want to be a Bengal anymore. Maybe Mike Brown would agree with your strictly financial assessment, but from a team standpoint, keeping Akili is a bad move.

And as for the Super Bowl thing, that was a good one. I literally laughed for hours.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #27
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Marvin doesn't want to rush Carson into his first season at all. This year, Palmer should not expect to see any regular snaps in a game. Shane Matthews is insurance, in case Kitna plays like crap, instead of forcing in the young rookie like we always seem to do, Matthews, an established veteran, can take the reins instead.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:22 PM   #28
korme
Go Reds

hmm, seems 8 other people already answered you with basically the same knowledge.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:11 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Matthews is a very average QB, but obviously would be a better influence on Palmer than Akili Smith. He's cheap insurance, and he happens to have some experience with Marvin Lewis, as they both were with Washington last year.

It's a good move by the Bungles. And maybe Smith will catch on elsewhere. I doubt Parcells will bring him to Dallas. I don't know who else in the league might be in the market for a backup QB...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote