Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Calis
College Starter

Take Command: 2nd Manassas

I know we had a thread about the original Bull Run game by MadMinuteGames. I was wondering if anyone had picked up the sequel, it's not new. I think it's been out almost a year, but I just picked it up last night to play over Christmas break.

I was a big fan of the first game. I just love the scalability, and I like being able to just be a small portion of a much bigger battle. Easier for me than most wargames where I have to deal with controlling dozens and dozens of "units". The graphics are bare to say the least, but it's a wargame so it comes to be expected.

Anyway, the cool thing with this 2nd one is some of the mods also. There is a community mod pack where people have added maps and scenarios for Antietam, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and I'm not sure what else. On top of that a mod was just released detailing Fredericksburg and I've only given it a quick once over but it's REALLY impressive. They did an amazing job with the map, and looks exactly like you'd picture it. Charging Marye's Heights is as intimidating as you'd imagine it would be.

http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMin...pic.php?t=7907

Thread detailing it there.

Also I think they've beefed up the AI significantly since the first one. I've only played a few battles so maybe I'm wrong, but I'm seeing a lot more cohesion in the battles than in the first game. The first game had a problem with just piecemeal little skirmishes all over the map and things never really came together. I guess that's not too far off for 1st Bull Run though. I'm seeing more support from general to general in this game and man the game is impressive. I just did a huge open scenario using the Gettysburg map and was really impressed with the map, and it turned into a really epic battle.

With the mods which appear to be every bit as good as the original game, there's a lot of game here. I know there are some Napoleonic and Revolutionary War mods in the works also, and I'm anxious to see those.

It's a nice pickup for just $20 bucks, and I think they are rumored to be working on Shiloh for their next game, but I know they've been running into some financial and health troubles, so hopefully it works out.

Last edited by Calis : 12-24-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
scooter
High School Varsity

I think TC:2M has been out for about a year and a half. I picked it up shortly after it came out because I really enjoyed the first one. This one did not disappoint. It is a very good game. I haven't played it in a while, but I had seen the announcement that the Fredericksburg mod had been completed. I may have to give it a try.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote