Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

What the dress of the people interviewing you is does not matter. I am an engineer, so on non customer interaction days (>95%) standard attire is khakis and a collared shirt. I have been to many interviews on both sides of the table. The interviewers tend to wear standard attire, and the interviewee is in a suit. This in no way means the interviewee is overdressed. They need to see you in customer interaction gear.

Very good point. When I was on staff at the medical school, I never wore a suit when I was interviewing possible residents, however, I lowered their grade if they didn't. The interviewer's attire should not dictate the interviewee's attire. I remember when I went to the Valet, he was dressed in shorts and a polo, but he was very happy that I wore a suit, and said I was the first person to ever take the interview so seriously.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #52
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Very good point. When I was on staff at the medical school, I never wore a suit when I was interviewing possible residents, however, I lowered their grade if they didn't. The interviewer's attire should not dictate the interviewee's attire. I remember when I went to the Valet, he was dressed in shorts and a polo, but he was very happy that I wore a suit, and said I was the first person to ever take the interview so seriously.

I have never worn a suit while working at at any of my jobs. But I have never been to a job interview in anything other than a suit.

And since i was promoted to management, I have never conducted an interview with anyone looking for a job who didn't wear a suit.

A suit is the 'uniform' for job interviews (at least the ones where you work in an office).
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #53
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've gone to interviews without the suit jacket. And I think to a couple without a tie. But I've always worn a dress shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #54
MacroGuru
Coordinator

In what I do and what I generally interview for, the Suit is overkill.

But Dress Pants, Dress Shoes and a Nice Dress Shirt is a must.

In fact when I interview, wearing a suit takes them down a notch in my book. The best person I have interviewed called the secretary, asked about corporate culture and office dressed, a little bit about the company. (Granted, she let me know he called)

He showed up matching the culture dress wise, did a lot of research on us, and asked poignant questions about us. The guy was hired, and did an amazing job, and is still there while I am not (I left to a friends company 6 months later) and took over the position I was in.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #55
korme
Go Reds

JetsIn06 is probably getting grilled right now
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #56
MikeVic
Head Coach

By the secretary on her desk.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #57
molson
General Manager

There are clearly some jobs where a suit would be overkill to the interview.

Here's a crazy idea - how about you ask? Why does this have to be some mystery that an interviewer has to guess at, that's so silly.

The guy mentioned below that talked to the secretary did it exactly right - she could probably tell him exactly what people have worn to interviews, and maybe even what's expected.

Maybe some interviewers mark you down for a suit, and some mark you down for no suit. None will mark you down for trying to ask through the company (as long as it's not a place where the answer is 100% obvious - like a law firm)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #58
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I find it very odd that anyone would deduct points for someone wearing a suit.

Don't you want people working for you who are willing to make an effort above and beyond?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #59
MikeVic
Head Coach

I know I've been told that if you dress in a full suit and the place is super casual... it makes the bosses look bad too.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #60
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Don't you want people working for you who are willing to make an effort above and beyond?

I don't know how many would formally "deduct points", but for a tech company with a very casual work environment, it would just be a psychological turn-off, it would show off you inexperience in the industry, and you might be thought of as stuffy and not a great fit for their workplace.

Last edited by molson : 06-24-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I know I've been told that if you dress in a full suit and the place is super casual... it makes the bosses look bad too.

once you work there sure, but on an interview?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #62
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know how many would formally "deduct points", but for a tech company with a very casual work environment, it would just be a psychological turn-off, it would show off you inexperience in the industry, and you might be thought of as stuffy and not a great fit for their workplace.

I disagree. I work for a software company and would cringe if anyone came to an interview in anything but a suit.

Granted, maybe there are some companies that are like this, but it's certainly not all of the industry as you suggest.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #63
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

A couple of things from observances on my end, and how the industries I have been in handle it.

1) Most of the guys that show up in suits are stuffy and do not fit the corporate culture. For us, this was the case 99% of the time.

2) To me as an interviewer, it's almost an ass kissing maneuver and it's not that great.

3) On top of that, I hated the Business Deans at BYU, UVSC and Utah with a passion because they were/are outdated with the way the real business world functioned, and have their graduates listened to them and spewed forth the trash they learned in the interview, which to me showed no free thought. Hence the suit + outdated business understanding = Not able to think for themselves

Granted this wasn't everyone I interviewed but 99% of the time that they showed up in a suit, I could almost guarantee one of those 3 schools as where they graduated from, and could almost to a T, answer the question I asked them exactly how they would.

Now I am learning here in Buffalo, the University of Buffalo MBA program is almost the same, but they are teaching the kids at an interview to tell us what we are doing wrong as a company and how they would do it different....I have had 3 interviews, all three showed up in suits, all three graduated from the U of B MBA program and all three told us what was wrong with the company in their opinion and how they would fix it. (Thank god all three had different views there)
Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #64
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
once you work there sure, but on an interview?

I don't know, that's what I was told. I've always worn some sort of dress pants and dress shirt.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #65
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I always wear a suit, a cowboy hat, and my lucky Spider-Man Underoos to a job interview. I first wore those Underoos when I was 8 and trying out for a school play. I got the lead part, and that's when I considered the Underoos to be lucky.

The shit must work. As I mentioned here before, I interviewed for two jobs at my current company, and four hours after the interview, I was offered both positions. Go Underoos!

Maybe it was that wonderful falsetto voice that won them over.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #66
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Update:

I got the job!

I DEFINITELY didn't have to wear anything nice. My jeans and a t-shirt would have been fine, guaranteed.

But, like many of you said, I'm glad I wasn't underdressed. They came in with shorts and t-shirts on and I felt like an ass, they joked around with me about it and just said to wear my regular clothes next time I meet with them.

Thanks for all the advice, though.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Glad you got the job, man. Congrats. Maybe Starbucks was the tipoff.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #68
Lorena
Unregistered

Nice, grats!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #69
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Jets! That is awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Welcome to the real world...it sucks, go back to college if you can
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

congrats!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
A couple of things from observances on my end, and how the industries I have been in handle it.

1) Most of the guys that show up in suits are stuffy and do not fit the corporate culture. For us, this was the case 99% of the time.

2) To me as an interviewer, it's almost an ass kissing maneuver and it's not that great.

3) On top of that, I hated the Business Deans at BYU, UVSC and Utah with a passion because they were/are outdated with the way the real business world functioned, and have their graduates listened to them and spewed forth the trash they learned in the interview, which to me showed no free thought. Hence the suit + outdated business understanding = Not able to think for themselves

Granted this wasn't everyone I interviewed but 99% of the time that they showed up in a suit, I could almost guarantee one of those 3 schools as where they graduated from, and could almost to a T, answer the question I asked them exactly how they would.

Now I am learning here in Buffalo, the University of Buffalo MBA program is almost the same, but they are teaching the kids at an interview to tell us what we are doing wrong as a company and how they would do it different....I have had 3 interviews, all three showed up in suits, all three graduated from the U of B MBA program and all three told us what was wrong with the company in their opinion and how they would fix it. (Thank god all three had different views there)

well just as long as you aren't judging a book by its cover
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #72
KWhit
Coordinator

Yay!

I knew a suit was a bad idea.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #73
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Yay!

I knew a suit was a bad idea.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #74
molson
General Manager

Congrats -

I don't mean to be gay but - what did you end up wearing?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #75
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Congrats -

I don't mean to be gay but - what did you end up wearing?

I wore brown dress pants, brown dress shoes, and a light brown, short sleeved nice shirt.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Congrats on getting the job!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #77
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
well just as long as you aren't judging a book by its cover

T.O. taught me....if it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, ...it's a rat.

I took that to heart
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #78
MikeVic
Head Coach

Congrats!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #79
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Update:

I got the job!

I DEFINITELY didn't have to wear anything nice. My jeans and a t-shirt would have been fine, guaranteed.

But, like many of you said, I'm glad I wasn't underdressed. They came in with shorts and t-shirts on and I felt like an ass, they joked around with me about it and just said to wear my regular clothes next time I meet with them.

Gratz on the job!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #80
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #81
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

See, I told you to just be me. Congrats!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #82
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Update:

I got the job!

Wow, you got the job the same day of the interview? Nice! Congrats!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #83
JediKooter
Coordinator

So, you thinking of hitting on the bosses daughter yet?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote