Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

FOOL 10-year team

Next season (1970) is our 10th Season of FOOL. Crazy, right?

I was thinking that you all should have your radar ready now, to start thinking about players you want to put onto a 10-year team. I'll start putting on my FOOL researcher hat to check out the players who ought to be on the list. Award winners, standouts and many more. I'm sure it'll help us as we get ready to prepare for the first FOOL HoF class in the next 5 years or so.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

St. Louis, the team. List done.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Single-Season FOOL Records
Quote:
BATTING AVERAGE: Gustavo Sanchez (LBI) .380 (1968)

HOME RUNS: Fernando Spindola (NYH) 46 (1961)

RBI: Dave Myers (CTN) 163 (1963)

STOLEN BASES: Jeremy O'Herlihy (HAR) 86 (1965)

ERA: Benny Myers (STL) 1.93 (1964)

WINS: Steven Davis (CTN) 24 (1963)

SAVES: Orlando Diaz (CTN) 48 (1964)

STRIKEOUTS: Carlos Gonzales (VAL) 268 (1968)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
St. Louis, the team. List done.

Notice I didn't do a Top 10 teams of the last 10 years list, right?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, Rio Grande players to look at would be C Tanaka, with several of the records for catchers, and 1B Reilly who has many of the 1B records.

As for life long Roadrunners, I would like to see RF Aguilera, but he probably gets beat out by Fernando Spindola. Aguilera does have career lead for RF VORP, RF Singles, and RF Walks. Spindola has most of the rest.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think my list of players to recommend for this team would be pretty similar to my retired player list. I think obvious Valdosta/Gary players that will have to be making the list include:

SP Bryan Hughes
CL Matt Wood
1B Heath Palmer
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Boston players that deserve a look:

C Keith Bond
CL Danny Bennett
CF Noah Wakeling (youngster who has proven himself over the last several seasons)
3B Patrick Perkins maybe. He's been instrumental to the team, but not sure how he compares to others.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I think my list of players to recommend for this team would be pretty similar to my retired player list. I think obvious Valdosta/Gary players that will have to be making the list include:

SP Bryan Hughes
CL Matt Wood
1B Heath Palmer

SP Gabriel Prado also should be on the team obviously, but his time has been mostly split between St.Louis and Hartford, and now most likely the remainder of his career with Valdosta.

3B Rick Inman also likely deserves consideration, as he has been top 3 in VORP the past three years, and Valdosta hopes to make it a 4th year in a row, which would be a considerable chunk of the past decade.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm going to start chronicling players now in anticipation of our 10th season and then we can actually honor them next year. In part because I might not feel like doing this next week or I might not have the time. So with that said, here goes:

PATRICK PERKINS
3rd baseman, Boston Settlers

At the start of the 1968 season, Patrick Perkins is the FOOL all-time home run leader with 251 career home runs. The four-time All-Star was a Best Nine selection in 1963, proving that he can do it on both sides of the field. But really, what's proven to be his real talent has been his longevity. In an league where stars come and got, Perkins has established a career of excellence. He's got 4 seasons of 100+ RBI and is a career .260 hitter with 1156 career hits.

At the age of 30, it's possible that he'll fade like a lot of the others have prior to him. But unlike them, he'll be able to hang his hat on the fact that he's had 8 years of strong production and resisted the urge to travel the league for more money, like a lot of other players.

When it's all said and done, the Boston faithful will have a hero in Patrick Perkins.

The #12 should never be worn again in Boston.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

HIDEAKI TANAKA
Catcher, Rio Grande Roadrunners
This 29-year old bird went south for the winter last year and everyone expected that he'd freeze up. Instead? He had a career year when most FOOL players are supposed to start to fold. If he wasn't considered the most formidible offensive force in the game before last year's MVP year (.357/39 HR/144 RBI) than he is now. The 8-time all-star has won 2 MVP awards and has won 3 AP Player of the Year Awards (Formerly Hitter of the Year) during his career. He is one of 12 players in FOOL history to hit at least 200 career home runs (211) and holds the single-season records for slugging percentage (.719), OBP + Slg (1.171) and VORP (118.1)

The question isn't whether he's one of the best in the game, but whether he'll be one of the best to have ever played, once he hangs up his glove.