Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should the Vulture League continue to exist after the 1973 season?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The future of the Vulture League

Should the Vulture League continue to exist after the 1973 season?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
magic_number
Mascot

I need to eat now, but I can't help myself: what's with the Vulture League & that other one??
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Vulture League was intended to be a league for foreign prospects. When that didn't work, we just made it a league sorta like Japanese with outstanding players joining us -- along with middle of the road talent -- coming in and stuff annually to mix things up. Originally there was no draft, we just signed rookie free agents. But it wasn't fair because the game doesn't handle that well, so we went to the draft and then the VL.

But it's not working as intended either, so we'll scrap that and try to normalize the talent.

The little league is simply the VL's feeder league.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Question, I have briefly read over the long discussion and will re-read it in a little bit.

However I am concerned that some are missing why the vulture league has such great talent now. Remember 4 years ago we had that spectacular draft class and we moved what 60 some odd players that were already rated over 1 star in overall ability to the VL. I believe this is the true reason why there is all this talent.

If you look at the rest of the players left in the VL there are only two players with a high potential left and they are still prospects and not really game-changers at this point. I think the VL still has a great chance at working exactly as intended and think we should shelf this issue for at least 3 more years and see what the talent level continues to look like.

Just my first thoughts on the issue.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Commo's comments are a nice reminder of why it's good to have owners in the league who remind me of stuff I forget, even when I do it myself. Each of you seems to get a turn doing that, too. It's useful.

The players starting to bubble up now are guys from that crazy draft class. Other than that, the players left are indeed not that good. I was confused when everyone was saying it, to be honest.

After getting some sleep and thinking about this more, I've decided that I am for the VL staying. It's served it's purpose and will evolve more down the road anyway. I just get distracted by rancor sometimes and will go to lengths to stop it. But in this case, it's much ado but not as much.

Next season, I will set the VL schedule to ensure their season ends after the FOOL season, so that the problem with FOOL Classic teams being excluded doesn't happen anymore.

We can revisit the future of the league next season, too.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-31-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I took a day off or so from debates here as it was starting to get me a bit too agitated, so usually that is a sign for me to take a breather. I went over to a much lower key and calmer thread for a bit (The Obama vs Mccain thread)

Commo, your point about the VL is actually something I had brought up in DC yesterday via PM that I looked at it further, and after this current FA class, the talent seems to have disappeared from the VL entirely. I told DC that perhaps we should consider looking a bit further into the league to figure out for sure if these super-players are done or not.

DC did mention that he wasn't sure if these type of players might not reappear or not though, but I wasn't honestly motivated enough last night to look at it further. Anyhows just letting you know I also saw the same point and even though I campaigned harder than anyone for years about this VL, I'm always trying to doublecheck to make sure I'm actually right and I had already noticed the same thing you bring up.

I'll wait to see if DC still feels that it is better to get rid of the VL or not based on what he mentioned last night. I wasn't entirely sure what he meant that he felt these type of players may reappear though so I need more clarification on that.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Oh DC, posted while I was writing. DC, just so I'm not confused, what did you mean previously regarding the super-players may re-appear. I wasn't too clear on that.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Oh DC, posted while I was writing. DC, just so I'm not confused, what did you mean previously regarding the super-players may re-appear. I wasn't too clear on that.

They won't ever appear again. They came from the last draft class that I created for FOOL. I have stopped doing that and let the AI do it from now. So we won't be seeing them. And the VL doesn't generate them, as you can basically see.

So it shouldn't be a problem.

If I said they may re-appear, I was mistaken. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-31-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
They won't ever appear again. They came from the last draft class that I created for FOOL. I have stopped doing that and let the AI do it from now. So we won't be seeing them. And the VL doesn't generate them, as you can basically see.

So it shouldn't be a problem.

If I said they may re-appear, I was mistaken. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, my bad.. it wasn't you. It was Cringer who replied to the group PM with that comment. Woops Sorry it was late at night, I guess you never did reply to it.

(For those wondering, i just tossed out some random thoughts in the PM to other board members, not trying to hide anything from anyone.. I just needed to take a break from FOOL Politics)

Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, my bad.. it wasn't you. It was Cringer who replied to the group PM with that comment. Woops Sorry it was late at night, I guess you never did reply to it.

(For those wondering, i just tossed out some random thoughts in the PM to other board members, not trying to hide anything from anyone.. I just needed to take a break from FOOL Politics)

Lol... I really was out of it last night.. I actually now see my reply only went to cringer who only replied to me... ahh well.. . I am losing it.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

In a way, I guess we might end up looking back at things 20-30 seasons from now and call this era our "Steroid era" or such when considering people for the hall of fame.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
In a way, I guess we might end up looking back at things 20-30 seasons from now and call this era our "Steroid era" or such when considering people for the hall of fame.

+1