Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Unhappy PING: TCFA Players

Do y'all think this game is gonna make it? Seem to have lost 1/3 of the original group already.

thealmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I dont think it will make it without stats.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Give it time. There aren't many college football sims out there, and this is nice and laid back, and seems to have a lot of freedom in it. Hopefully, it will stick it through and end up okay.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #4
bryce
High School Varsity

we're only in week 2 and it already seems to be losing its luster. it's fun and laid back, but i also agree with mr simplerless (is that you, tokyo U - i think i beat you last week), that individual stats would make a world of difference.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by bryce
mr simplerless (is that you, tokyo U - i think i beat you last week)

Yes, and you will surely pay for your transgessions! We will have our revenge and it will be sweet - so very sweet.

Hehe, I scored 0 points and I have no clue as to why. I can't adjust, I don't know what positions to target in recruiting, all I do is keep "developing" my players every week.

Which brings me to another gripe. With ANY player being able to develop just as fast as any other, top recruits dont really mean so much. Think of it this way. You could go out and get the #1 QB recruit in the nation. Let's say he is a 14. I recruit a guy with a 4 ability. You dont develop your guy all year cause you don't want to hit that magic number 15 where he will be more inclined to leave early. I develop my guy every game. At the end of the season my guy will be just as good as your guy. Granted, I can only do this so much and you will be developing other players while I am developing my QB, but the system is still flawed IMO.

I think that each player should have a "potential" attribute. I don't think that every single player should automatically gain a skill point when you attempt to develop them. I think there should only be a chance that you are able to develop a given player that is based off of his "potential".

Good win, btw.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
daedalus
Pro Rookie

You know it's a heck of a topic if you can get Pass to come out of retirement.

I think the game will. In the few weeks, Killian has already made a number of improvements to the game and a number of them have come from players' suggestions (team statistics). I'm sure you will lose a number of players and those that remain will form a strong core of players, especially because a number of them will have come from this board (I'm a tad biased). Then you'll end up with more players with the game a little more fleshed out and you'll have a great game going.

As an aside, TA . . . My apologies but you'll have to find a new dance partner for week 6. I've already emailed Killian my resignation from the league and unsubscribed from the Yahoo list. I didn't much care to have been included in the Big Bad List of Evil Inactive Teams just because I couldn't get confirmation on league schedules when I participated in the scrimmage and was fairly active on the message board. No big deal but sorry about week 6.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Out of retirement? Nah. I've been in and out fairly often, and it seems like I've finally figured out how to actually post again -- I can't count how many times I've posted something really long, or even short, only to find out the board tells me I'm not logged in, even though I am, then when I put my password in and log in again, my message is gone. Anyway, I had some good timing to jump on to the site when this was starting up, and joining it was easier than posting!
Anyway, simperless, you're Tokyo U? I'm the Grand Rapids Fighting Calders, which means I'm awaiting the results of our game right now! I think you guys will take it -- my roster seems like the worst one out there for Prestige 4 teams, although I do have homefield advantage.
Personally, I don't have TOO much of a problem with automatic development -- I think it's a BIG deal that while you're developing your QB all season to be as good as mine, I'm developing the rest of my players to be better as a complete team. I was thinking that players should develop on their own, randomly, as well as through training/coaching. That way, you can't avoid players leaving early by keeping them at 14 (which, now that you mention it, seems kind of cheap), and there's a little bit of randomness to it, where having the right players (the ones that develop best on their own) gives you an advantage.
I never say any list, daedalus, but I can't imagine that being on it was that big of a deal! From what the commish has said, you can have bye weeks, although the only drawback is that if you're in a conference, they might get mad if you finch out on a game. Anyway, if things pick up, I'm sure you'll be welcome back!
Hmm. Seems like I'm the only one blindly optimistic here. Maybe it's because I like college football so much, that I'm getting myself all excited about any online game for it. Oh, well. I'm still having fun, and good luck in our game, simperless!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Passacaglia
Out of retirement? Nah. I've been in and out fairly often, and it seems like I've finally figured out how to actually post again -- I can't count how many times I've posted something really long, or even short, only to find out the board tells me I'm not logged in, even though I am, then when I put my password in and log in again, my message is gone. Anyway, I had some good timing to jump on to the site when this was starting up, and joining it was easier than posting!
Ahhhh. Nevertheless, it is good to see you posting again.
Quote:
I never say any list, daedalus, but I can't imagine that being on it was that big of a deal! From what the commish has said, you can have bye weeks, although the only drawback is that if you're in a conference, they might get mad if you finch out on a game. Anyway, if things pick up, I'm sure you'll be welcome back!
It was in the "Big Change" email on the mailing list. It probably wasn't a big deal with respect to the game or the team but it did rather killed my enthusiasm for participating.
Quote:
Hmm. Seems like I'm the only one blindly optimistic here. Maybe it's because I like college football so much, that I'm getting myself all excited about any online game for it. Oh, well. I'm still having fun, and good luck in our game, simperless!
I don't think you're blindly optimistic or is the only one. I definitely think the game will be very good and enjoyable. Killian's participation and responsiveness to suggestions and requests (like team stats which came in for first week, I think, after not being planned for another season) definitely bodes well for the game. I'm sure there are a few folks who are keeping an eye on it and letting the guinea pigs flesh out the game before jumping in.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:33 AM   #9
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

I know I'll keep playing at least a full season before giving up. I want to see how the recruiting process goes...

We 've lost a lot of players already though, hope we make it...