Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Nebraska Blizzards 2024: The Long Road Home

Dynasty Overview

The purpose of the Nebraska Blizzards Dynasty is to tell a compelling and intriguing story using FOF2 as the backdrop.

The Story So Far (Updated 3/30/03!!!)

It all began in January 2000. That year, Anthony Coriolanus, President and CEO of AgroGlobal Corporation, and a man known only as "The Executioner" agreed to a join forces in a business venture expected to generate billions of dollars. Using Coriolanus’ connections with the National Football League Commissioner’s Office, the two men set out to purchase an expansion franchise to generate large amounts of cash separate and apart from their own personal income. Then, using Executioner’s connections to the infamous Mexican Zopepe Drug Cartel, the money made by the team would be invested into drug trafficking to generate incredible profits. Since they decided that the team’s name would be the Nebraska Blizzards, it seemed appropriate that their criminal venture should be code-named Operation Snow Blind.

Their plan began with Coriolanus bribing NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and other league executives to obtain enough votes to win the bid for an expansion franchise in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Executioner, meanwhile, assassinated the most prominent competitors for the expansion franchise team, as well as those opposed to construction of the Blizzards’ stadium.

After Coriolanus was awarded the NFL's latest expansion franchise, he set out to hire the best General Manager in the league—Jack “Grid” Iron. Since Grid was under contract with the San Diego Chargers, Coriolanus framed Iron by paying a notorious bookie, Heather Diamond, to accuse the GM of gambling on NFL games. After Iron was fired by the Chargers due to the criminal charges, Coriolanus befriended him, and even paid for his lawyer throughout the ensuing jury trial. Iron was later acquitted after Diamond surprised prosecutors by testifying that she made up the accusations only to gain notoriety. Since Coriolanus had supported Grid Iron throughout the entire ordeal, Iron’s decision to be the Blizzards’ GM was an easy one.

After securing the franchise, stadium and general manager, Coriolanus and the Executioner began investing the team’s profits into the drug trade. Over several years, Coriolanus donated millions of dollars generated by the Blizzards to sham charities in South America and Mexico. These charities then laundered the money by transferring it to the cartel, where it was used to fund the drug smuggling operations. The drug profits were then deposited into several off-shore bank accounts, set up by the Executioner.

The enterprise was wildly successful, as both men made over one billion dollars within 10 years. Coriolanus was content to bask in the glory of his vast, new wealth. The Executioner, however, had different plans for his share of the profits.

Working with CIA Director Archie Bitzer, also known as “Silencer,” the Executioner used the money earned from the cartel’s drug activities to genetically engineer a virus that would kill anyone of Arab ancestry. In 2015, the virus was released into a small village in Saudi Arabia, and it spread quickly across the entire region, gaining its nickname, the “Arabian Flu.” By the end of 2016, it had reached every country in the Middle East and killed over 500,000 people. By 2017, the disease appeared for the first time in the United States when a businessman from Yemen died shortly after arriving in Honolulu, Hawaii. In 2018, the first case in the continental U.S. occurred when a Saudi immigrant, who had not been to the Middle East in several years, died in a Bronx, New York, hospital.

In 2019, Bitzer urged the Executioner to begin what is known only as “Phase 2,” which involved distributing a vaccine for the Arabian Flu. The Executioner refused, telling Bitzer that he could not provide him a vaccine because none existed - he had lied about it merely to secure Bitzer’s help. Wracked with guilt, Bitzer later took his own life. FBI Agent Alex Goldstein, however, discovered the Executioner’s plot while reviewing Bitzer’s computer files.

Also in 2019, the countries of Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Saudi Arabia began deploying large numbers of troops and missiles (suspected of carrying chemical weapons) to their borders with Israel, which they blamed for the disease. In response, Israel detonated a tactical nuclear device in an uninhabited area to deter any military attack by the Arabs.

The escalating violence in the Middle East convinced Goldstein to suggest to his superiors that the U.S. take responsibility for its role in creating the virus. The President of the United States ordered a cover-up of the incident. Goldstein, however, saved the computer records and planned to go public with the information.

Unfortunately, the National Security Agency caught wind of Goldstein’s plan and had him arrested to face charges of treason before a military tribunal. He is currently being held at a secret military base outside of the continental United States.

As for Coriolanus, he fled the U.S. in 2014 following an attempt on his life by one of the Executioner’s assassins and his indictment for drug trafficking. He re-appeared in 2016, however, in Germany. Holed up with a large cache of firearms in a small apartment in suburban Hamburg, Coriolanus told Interpol authorities that he killed his own wife and children mercifully because he feared that they would have suffered horrific and painful deaths if the Executioner got to them first. After several hours of negotiation, Coriolanus agreed to surrender and the authorities all about Operation Snow Blind. Unfortunately, as Coriolanus walked out of the apartment and towards the waiting police, he was shot and killed by an unknown assassin.

To date, the Arabian Flu has killed over three million people. Further, the Executioner’s purpose in creating the virus and releasing it upon the Middle East is currently unknown.

In addition, over the last decade several South Pacific villages, and all of their inhabitants, have been completely destroyed by missiles from Russian Mako helicopters. The Russian government has denied any involvement. The CIA believes that several Mako helicopters that vanished on a training mission in 2003 in Siberia were actually stolen by the squadron commander, Vladimir Maritczak, and his men. A worldwide search has begun for Maritczak, who was an outspoken Ukrainian and considered to be sympathetic toward the United States and NATO. Any connection between the Mako helicopters and Operation Snow Blind, if there is one, is unknown at this time.

On December 31, 2019, NORAD detected the launch of 35 missiles from various Arab nations directed at Israel. Shortly thereafter, Israel launched a counter-strike of 65 rockets, which satellites showed to be armed with nuclear warheads. The capitals of Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Syria are among the cities targeted.

In 2020, the world learned of the horrifying destruction across the Middle East from the Arab-Israeli missile attacks. Millions died and cities were left in ruin. The U.N. sent peacekeepers to the area to maintain stability, but they weren't enough. U.N. Secretary General Jean-Paul Petain was removed from office when the Crown Prince of Kuwait, Jamir Al Sabah, called for his impeachment after his father was killed by a suicide bomber. Al Sabah, the newly crowned King of Kuwait, was elected to replace Petain, and has vowed to increase the U.N.'s military presence in the Middle East to eradicate the many terrorist groups attempting to seize power in the shattered land.

Also in 2020, Grid Iron received a cryptic e-mail from someone purporting to be Anthony Coriolanus. Coriolanus was believed to have been killed by an assassin in 2016 before he could reveal the secret of Operation Snow Blind to the authorities.

In 2021, Grid Iron learned that the e-mail was really an automated message written by Coriolanus several years ago before his death. Coriolanus instructed Grid Iron to access the AgroGlobal computer system in Kuala Lumpur for information that would unveil a horrifying conspiracy. In Kuala Lumpur, Coriolanus left a message for Grid saying the information had to be copied to a keychain hard drive and that it would be slipped to him by a guest at Le Petit Zinc, a restaurant in Paris, on New Year's Eve 2022.

Also in 2021, Anthony Angelino gave up his stake in the Melbourne, Florida, Eagles to become the majority owner of the Nebraska Blizzards. The President of New York-based BuildCo Enterprises, Angelino announced shortly after buying the team that he would move it unless the public paid for a new $1 billion stadium.

At the close of 2021, King Jamir Al Sabah of Kuwait announced that doctors in his country discovered a cure for the Arabian Flu and would begin distributing it immediately.

In 2022, the U.S. government provided U.N. peacekeepers in the Middle East with 1,000 new F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the most advanced military plane in the world. The planes were provided at the request of King Sabah, who pointed out the need to deter terrorist cells and rival governments from interfering with the rebuilding process.

Also in 2022, Grid Iron obtained the hard drive Anthony Coriolanus left for him in Paris. In it, Coriolanus included information from AgroGlobal's computer database which described a secret research facility in Paraguay. According to the disk, the place was created by the U.S. government to circumvent the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention of 1975 and was responsible for creating the Arabian Flu. The disk also stated that it was the CIA that released the virus in the Middle East. The facility is hidden in the jungle and has gone undetected by local law enforcement for decades. Coriolanus did, however, give Grid Iron the GPS coordinates.

In 2023, Grid Iron traveled to Paraguay to find the AgroGlobal research facility that manufactured the Arabian Flu. After he arrived, however, several unidentfied helicopters showed up and began firing missiles at Grid and the research facility. There is no word as to whether Grid Iron survived.

Also in 2023, Lincoln Police Officer Michael Phillips obtained a wiretap authorization to monitor the phone calls of a local drug dealer, Chu Nguyen. During on intercepted phone conversation, Nguyen explains to an associate that a new dealer named "Vinny" has opened shop in town and is significantly cutting into his business. Nguyen explained, however, that there was little he could do about Vinny since it is believed he is associated with organized crime ("OC").

To catch up on all the details of the story from 2000 - 2019, go to the following link at the old FOF Central Pub:

Nebraska Blizzards Decade Review: 2010-2019

Here are the most recent chapters located at the new FOF Central pub:

Nebraska Blizzards 2020: A Ghost From the Past
Nebraska Blizzards 2021: The Plot Thickens
Nebraska Blizzards 2022: A Secret Revealed
Nebraska Blizzards 2023: The Heart of Darkness

House Rules (Updated 3/5/03!)

I employ a fairly standard set of "house rules" (empty cupboard, no franchise tag, must maintain a 53-man roster, no renegotiating, can't make trade proposals, trades must pass "fairness test", no current NFL players, auto-sign rookies). During the 20-step free agent period, I may negotiate with any player who was on my team the previous season without restriction. As for free agents who did not play on my team the previous season, I may sign up to three of them during the 20-step process, but I may only bid on one player at a time and I cannot modify my original offer. After the 20-step free agency period, I can only sign undrafted rookie free agents and players who were on my roster the previous season. All contracts signed outside of the 20-step process must be for exactly what the player asks, or for one year. I have decided to allow renegotiating with “classy veterans" who have a loyalty of "high" or above.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 08-01-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Entry from Grid Iron's Journal

April 10, 2024

They're all dead. I don't know why, or how, but I made it.

After the helicopters attacked, I dove for cover in a hollowed-out tree. The entire research facility went up in flames, and the the jungle around me burned everywhere.

I crawled out of the log dazed and confused about 24 hours after the attack. The whole place was destroyed. Except for one thing. The fire apparently burned away vegetation that was covering a metal hatch we hadn't previously seen. I managed to break the lock after a few days with several large rocks and climbed down a long ladder to a small room that had several laptop computers, firearms, and survival packs. Apparently, I had found the research facility's escape route.

I found that there was a door in the room that opened into the main lab, but it was concealed on the other side. That explains why we didn't find this area when we went through the main entrance of the place.

The laptops are password protected, so I don't know if they contain anything I could use as evidence, but I took two just in case.

I knew I couldn't go back to Asuncion, since whoever destroyed the lab might still be looking for me. I decided to stay away from towns and villages which might have been alerted to my presence and began hiking north.

After several weeks of crawling through the jungle, I arrived at what I think was the Monte Lindo River. I followed the river for over a month to the Paraguay-Argentina border and continued north into Bolivia.

Now, I'm going to make my way west into Chile. There, I can hopefully get passage on a boat back to the United States where someone can unlock the computers I took from the lab. . .

Last edited by Grid Iron : 03-30-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

More. I need more.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

2024 Preview

The Blizzards have high expectations in 2024, as the team will be going for a unprecedented sixth Super Bowl championship.

Ticket Prices

The team’s new $1 billion stadium, BuildCo Field, is scheduled to open in September 2024 with a 75,000 fan capacity, including 250 luxury boxes, and 10,000 club seats. A state-of-the-art facility, the field is made of real grass and the park is open to the bitter cold of December, giving the home team a distinct advantage during the playoffs. The team’s owner, Anthony Angelino, is President of New York-based BuildCo Enterprises, which paid the City of Lincoln $25 million for naming rights to the stadium.

After winning an unprecedented third consecutive Super Bowl, ticket prices rose between 10-20% for regular seats and just 8-12% for club seats and luxury boxes. The seat prices are identical to those of the Omaha Raptors, whose new stadium also opens this year.

Scouts/Coaches

There were no coach or scout changes for 2024, however, Assistant GM Leland Bronson will handle the general manager duties during Grid Iron’s absence. Bronson, the Buffalo Bills’ first-round pick (23rd overall) in 2002 out of Holy Cross, played tight end for Nebraska from 2005 until his retirement in 2015.

Retirements

No Blizzards retired in 2024.

Trades

Interim GM Leland Bronson traded WR Myron Woodard to Buffalo for the first overall pick of the third round. Last year, Myron had 41 catches for 560 yards and four touchdowns for the Blizzards. A second round pick in 2015 by the Greenville Bobcats out of Arizona State, he joined Nebraska as a free agent in 2019. The trade should help both teams by filling Buffalo’s greatest need at wide receiver and saving Nebraska about $7.5 million in cap space.

Free Agency

The Blizzards went into the free agency period $78.9 million under the $220.9 million salary cap.

Key Players Re-Signed

• RB Jerome Sweeney signed a three-year $32.85 million contract to continue playing with his brother, Blizzards QB Moran Sweeney. Nebraska’s second-round pick out of Air Force in 2017, Jerome has been named Offensive Player of the Year and All-League First Team three times, league MVP once, as well as MVP of the 2023 Super Bowl.
  • C Julio Moore, the Blizzards’ first-round pick (28th overall) out of Texas A&M in 2016, signed a three-year $31.74 million contract to stay with Nebraska. Moore was named All-League First Team in 2019, 2021 and 2023.

Key Players Lost

• S Jerametrius Midget, Nebraska’s first-round pick (18th overall) in 2018, left the team after signing a four-year $37.92 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens. The 2019 Defensive Player of the Year, Midget played on four Blizzards Super Bowl teams.
  • FB Carlisle, Nebraska’s second-round pick out of Southern Illinois in 2020, signed a three-year $14.32 million contract with the Denver Broncos. He was named All-League First Team in both 2022 and 2023.

Key Players Gained

• WR Herb Zeigler signed a three-year $22.47 million contract and is expected to be the team’s second wide receiver. Zeigler, the Steelers’ second-round pick out of Oklahoma in 2020, has amassed 1,252 receiving yards and six touchdowns in four professional seasons.

Amateur Draft

Interim GM Leland Bronson’s first NFL draft was one to remember as he got both of the players he set his sights on. S Britt O’Neil was selected with the team’s first pick (36th overall) out of Indiana to replace S Jerametrius Midget who departed via free agency. Then, in the second round, Bronson chose FB Shaun Reid out of Central Indiana. “I was shocked both of those players were still available so late in the draft,” said Bronson. Here are all of the team’s selections:

Rnd 1 - Britt O'Neil, S, Indiana
Rnd 2 - Shaun Reid, FB, Central (Ia.)
Rnd 3 - Jay Parker, G, New Haven (from Buffalo)
Rnd 3 - Bennie Villarreal, LB, Louisiana State
Rnd 4 - Harold Shaw, LB, Virginia
Rnd 5 - Bucky Gutsche, CB, Auburn
Rnd 6 - Richard Franz, WR, Minnesota
Rnd 7 - Moe Burks, TE, Western Carolina

Training Camp/Exhibition Season

Training camp began with Bronson cutting two starters in CB Bryce Joyner, the Blizzards’ 2021 Super Bowl MVP, and DE Lester Van Pelt for cap reasons. “We wanted to keep both of them, but we couldn’t afford it,” said Bronson.

The team was clobbered in the exhibition season, losing three of four. Nonetheless, the team completely sold out all 75,000 seats for every home game in new BuildCo Field.

The team’s second-round pick in 2024, FB Shaun Reid, was the only rookie to win a starting job.

Schedule

The Blizzards have an average schedule this year, playing only six games against teams that qualified for the playoffs in 2023. Nevertheless, the AFC West is always a challenging division, so no season is ever a cakewalk. In Week 4, Nebraska travels to New York in a re-match of last year’s AFC Conference Championship against the Jets.

Code:
Week 1 Denver Broncos Week 2 OAKLAND RAIDERS Week 3 San Diego Chargers Week 4 New Jersey Jets Week 5 OPEN Week 6 San Francisco Niners Week 7 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS Week 8 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Week 9 GREENVILLE (SC) BOBCATS Week 10 Oakland Raiders Week 11 New Orleans Saints Week 12 DENVER BRONCOS Week 13 Seattle Seahawks Week 14 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Week 15 PITTSBURGH STEELERS Week 16 ATLANTA FALCONS Week 17 Kansas City Chiefs Bold = team made playoffs in 2023

Last edited by Grid Iron : 03-30-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

2024 Roster Summary

Here is the 2024 Nebraska Blizzards Roster:

Code:
Name # Pos HT WT Exp Stat College Sweeney, Moran * 15 QB 6-4 238 8 ----- Southwest Louisiana Sheen, Luther 10 QB 5-10 185 4 ----- Elon College Barraza, Zach 1 QB 6-4 211 3 ----- East Carolina QB Moran Sweeney looks to have a break out year as the team switches to a more wide-open passing game. Sweeney, Jerome 43 RB 5-11 205 8 ----- Air Force Godwin, Stan 25 RB 6-1 214 3 ----- Indiana Woodard, Donny 49 RB 5-7 193 3 ----- Virginia Woodard, Fred 35 FB 6-0 246 2 ----- Wisconsin Reid, Shaun 45 FB 5-10 237 R ----- Central (Ia.) RB Jerome Sweeney is going for his fourth Offensive Player of the Year award in 2024. Donovan, Courtney 80 TE 6-2 261 11 ----- Rice Fryar, Kenny 89 TE 6-1 244 5 ----- Boston College Clinton, Vince 83 WR 5-10 207 7 ----- Colorado State Zeigler, Herb 86 WR 6-1 218 5 ----- Oklahoma Thomason, Buddy 88 WR 5-10 214 3 ----- Washington Terrell, Spencer 82 WR 5-11 182 3 ----- Georgia Tech Clemons, Morion 81 WR 6-1 181 3 ----- Purdue Franz, Richard 85 WR 6-0 193 R ----- Minnesota The Blizzards have one of the best receiving corps in the league. Moore, Julio 67 C 6-2 288 9 ----- Texas A&M McCarthy, Ken-Yon 51 C 6-4 298 5 ----- Texas Tech Villanueva, Daniel 54 C 6-2 265 4 ----- Northern Illinois Windsor, Lamont 76 G 6-3 309 6 ----- Arkansas Jefferson, Hardy 69 G 6-7 330 2 ----- Wisconsin Shell, Tracy 79 G 6-7 301 1 ----- Florida State Parker, Jay 78 G 6-6 322 R ----- New Haven Thacker, Ainsley 64 T 6-5 277 11 ----- SE Missouri St. Hanson, Mauigaula 68 T 6-2 297 7 ----- North Carolina Grembowski, Josh 62 T 6-5 295 3 ----- California Coyle, Leon 77 T 6-8 294 1 ----- Kansas C Julio Moore won his third All-League award last year. Bunyan, Kenny 12 P 6-1 204 4 ----- Florida Rhodes, Eugene 8 K 5-9 209 2 ----- South Dakota State K Eugene Rhodes made 31 of 34 field goals in 2023. Norris, Willie 94 DE 6-0 255 2 ----- Grambling Phipps, Phillip 93 DE 5-11 243 2 ----- Northeast Louisiana Rooks, Jermain 98 DE 6-2 271 2 ----- Wayne State (Mich.) Ervin, D.J. 99 DE 5-10 259 1 ----- Ohio State Page, Earl 75 DT 6-4 284 8 ----- Wisconsin - Stout Yiu, Nate 90 DT 6-3 289 6 ----- Iowa State Brenner, Morion + 91 DT 6-2 319 3 ----- Washington Shea, Kris 97 DT 6-6 291 2 ----- Iowa State Second-year DE Phillip Phipps led the team with 11.0 sacks last season. Schwartz, Kyle 95 LB 6-4 218 9 ----- Michigan State Thelwell, Tevita 55 LB 6-3 219 4 ----- Temple Dishman, Dominic 50 LB 5-11 230 3 ----- Michigan State Toledo, Xavier 57 LB 6-0 219 2 ----- Michigan State Shaw, Harold 58 LB 6-4 273 R ----- Virginia Villarreal, Bennie 59 LB 6-1 257 R ----- Louisiana State Kyle Schwartz led the league in solo tackles last season. Long, Travis 42 CB 5-10 181 8 ----- Nebraska Blackwood, Everett 37 CB 5-7 165 4 ----- Arizona Francis, Mark 33 CB 5-11 177 2 ----- Purdue Osborne, Colin 34 CB 5-10 184 2 ----- California Gutsche, Bucky 47 CB 6-1 214 R ----- Auburn Neujahr, Roman 41 CB 6-2 192 1 ----- Cal. - Northridge Mangum, Charles 27 S 6-0 191 11 ----- Portland State Butler, Riall 29 S 5-10 210 5 ----- Notre Dame Johnstone, Toby 44 S 6-0 206 1 ----- Tulsa O'Neil, Britt 46 S 5-9 196 R ----- Indiana The Blizzards secondary is the best in the league and the key to the team's "Snow Storm Defense." Key: Pos - Position, HT - Height, WT - Weight, OnTm - When joined team, Ctrc - Last year of contract, (UFA - free agent, ---- - no contract), Exp - Experience, Stat - Status (InjR - injured reserve, Inact - Inactive) Salary Cap: $220.9 million Room Under Cap: $2,620,000

Last edited by Grid Iron : 03-30-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Transcript of intercepted radio transmission

July 18, 2024

MAKO-1: Shark’s Den, this is Mako-1.

SHARK’S DEN: Shark’s Den, here. Go ahead Mako-1.

MAKO-1: Our information was correct. Grid Iron survived our attack on the lab.

SHARK’S DEN: What’s your status?

MAKO-1: We just lifted off from a small village in east Chile.

SHARK’S DEN: And?

MAKO-1: The inhabitants say a white man matching his description passed through three weeks ago.

SHARK’S DEN: Where was he going?

MAKO-1: The villagers say he was going to catch a boat to the north. Iquique is the closest port city.

SHARK’S DEN: So?! Go stop him!

MAKO-1: There’s something else . . .

SHARK’S DEN: Yes?!?!

MAKO-1: One of the little boys looked inside Iron’s backpack. . .

SHARK’S DEN:What did he see?

MAKO-1: Two laptops. . . From the description, it sounds like they were from the lab.

SHARK’S DEN: Damn! We can’t let those laptops fall into the hands of law enforcement.

MAKO-1: What are your orders?

SHARK’S DEN: Find Iron, kill him, and destroy those computers!

MAKO-1: Understood. What about the villagers?

SHARK’S DEN: Kill them all.

MAKO-1: Affirmative. Mako squadron, you may fire when ready. . .

[Sound of heavy machine gun fire]

End of transmission.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 03-30-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:34 AM   #7
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Week 1: Blizzards (0-0) at Broncos (0-0)

QB Moran Sweeney was 18 of 30 for 239 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions as the Blizzards beat the Broncos 17-3.

Week 2: Blizzards (1-0) vs. Raiders (1-0)

Nebraska RB Jerome Sweeney rushed for 206 yards and two touchdowns and his brother QB Moran Sweeney was 20 of 30 for 232 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions, as the Blizzards won this shootout with the Raiders by a score of 42-37.

Week 3: Blizzards (2-0) at Chargers (1-1)

Nebraska QB Moran Sweeney was 26 of 36 for 411 yards, five touchdowns and one interception to win Offensive Player of the Week honors, as the Blizzards crushed the Chargers 38-19. CB Colin Osborne was named Defensive Player of the Week for his 10 tackles and interception.

Week 4: Blizzards (3-0) at Jets (2-0)

CB Everett Blackwood was named Defensive Player of the Week after making three interceptions and returning one for a touchdown in the Blizzards’ 35-17 victory over the Jets.

1/4 Season Review

At 4-0, the Blizzards are alone in first place atop the AFC West, one game ahead of Kansas City (3-1).

QB Moran Sweeney leads the league with 1,124 passing yards, 15 touchdowns, and a 111.9 rating. He has thrown just six interceptions. Moran’s brother, RB Jerome Sweeney, is fifth in the league with 382 rushing yards and has scored two touchdowns. WR Vince Clinton leads the NFL with five touchdown receptions and is third with 340 receiving yards.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:44 AM   #8
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

August 18, 2024

I've signed on with a Mexican fishing boat. The Campana Del Mar ("Bell of the Sea") is based out of Ensenada and comes all the way down to South America in August, then fishes its way back to Mexico over the next few months.

I agreed to work on the boat in exchange for passage to Ensenada. It will be hard work, but I need to keep a low profile now, and when I get there, I'll be only 150 miles or so from the U.S. border.

I joined the boat in the town of Pisco, about 200 miles south of Lima, Peru. I was going to look for a ship in Iquique, Chile, but I thought if I was being followed that's where someone would look for me, being the closest port to the now-destroyed AgroGlobal research lab. So, I hiked along the coast up to Pisco.

I wish I could tell my wife that I'm alright, but that would just endanger her and me.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:27 PM   #9
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Week 5: OPEN

The Blizzards used Week 5 to rest several injured players, including starting S Charles Mangum.

Week 6: Blizzards (4-0) at 49ers (1-3)

The Blizzards allowed the 49ers to rush for 258 yards, including a 59-yard touchdown run with 1:47 left in the game, and convert 50 percent of the time on third down in a 31-26 loss. QB Moran Sweeney was 16 of 38 for 266 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Week 7: Blizzards (4-1) vs. Seahawks (3-3)

DE Phillip Phipps had three sacks and RB Jerome Sweeney rushed for 126 yards as the Blizzards beat the Seahawks 20-11.

Week 8: Blizzards (5-1) vs. Chargers (2-5)

QB Moran Sweeney has three touchdowns (2 pass, 1 rush) and was 16 of 26 for 194 yards with no interceptions as Nebraska beat San Diego 31-6.

Week 9: Blizzards (6-1) vs. Bobcats (5-2)

DE Phillip Phipps was named Defensive Player of the Week after recording four sacks and scoring a touchdown on a fumble recovery as the Blizzards beat the Bobcats 28-23. RB Jerome Sweeney scored the decisive touchdown on an 80-yard run with 9:39 left in the fourth quarter.

1/2 Season Review

At 7-1, Nebraska is in first place with a two-game lead over Kansas City (5-3). The Blizzards have a 1/2 game lead over the Titans (7-2) for the best record in the NFL.

QB Moran Sweeney is still among the best in the league with 1,964 yards passing (2nd), 24 touchdowns (1st), 8 interceptions, and a 104.0 rating (1st). RB Jerome Sweeney has 880 rushing yards (2nd) and three touchdowns. Second-year DE Phillip Phipps, Nebraska’s first-round pick (36th overall) in 2023 out of Northeast Louisiana, is fourth in the NFL and second in the AFC with 8.5 sacks.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:33 PM   #10
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

September 29, 2024

We've fished our way up to Panama City, and it's been more work than I ever imagined. We took on a lot of water last week during a storm, but we've made all the necessary repairs and leave tonight.

We'll be fishing for a few weeks near Costa Rica, and then a few weeks off the coast of El Salvador. After that, on to Mexico, where we'll hit Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada within four weeks.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:30 PM   #11
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Week 10: Blizzards (7-1) at Raiders (3-5)

The Nebraska defense recorded five interceptions, five sacks, one fumble recovery, and allowed just 75 yards passing as the Blizzards prevailed 30-7 over the Raiders.

Week 11: Blizzards (8-1) at Saints (7-2)

Nebraska RB Jerome Sweeney rushed for 109 yards and the Blizzards scored 17 unanswered points in the final 4:41 to steal a 24-13 victory from the New Orleans Saints.

Week 12: Blizzards (9-1) vs. Broncos (4-6)

QB Moran Sweeney was 24 of 41 for 334 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions as the Blizzards beat the Broncos 37-20.

Week 13: Blizzards (10-1) at Seahawks (5-6)

RB Jerome Sweeney rushed for 97 yards and scored three touchdowns as the Blizzards cruised to a 34-7 victory over the Seahawks.

3/4 Season Review

At 11-1, Nebraska is in first place in the AFC West, three games ahead of Kansas City (8-4), and owns the best record in the NFL. With a victory over the Chiefs next week, the Blizzards will clinch the division.

QB Moran Sweeney leads the league in touchdowns (33) and quarterback rating (95.9), and is third with 2,758 passing yards. RB Jerome Sweeney is second in the league with 1,264 rushing yards. DE Phillip Phipps is second in AFC with 12.0 sacks. Unfortunately WR Vince Clinton, who leads the league with 9 touchdown receptions, will miss the next 3-5 weeks due to shoulder tendonitis.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:31 PM   #12
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

November 1, 2024

MAKO-1: We’ve finally tracked down Iron.

SHARK’S DEN: Where is he?

MAKO-1: On board a fishing boat called the “Campana Del Mar.”

SHARK’S DEN: Go on.

MAKO-1: He picked up the boat Peru and the ship is fishing its way back to Ensenada, Mexico.

SHARK’S DEN: Can you find him?

MAKO-1: With all of the fishing boats up and down the coast, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

SHARK’S DEN: So what are we going to do?

MAKO-1: The boat is expected back into Ensenada in about four weeks. We’re going to wait for the boat to come to us.

SHARK’S DEN: Advise me when you’ve located the boat and Iron.

MAKO-1: Affirmative. Over and out.

End of transmission.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 03-31-2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:20 AM   #13
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Week 14: Blizzards (11-1) vs. Chiefs (8-4)

CB Everett Blackwood had two interceptions and RB Jerome Sweeney rushed for 197 yards as the Blizzards clinched the AFC West with a 10-7 nail biter over Chiefs.

Nebraska can clinch the best record in the AFC with a victory over Pittsburgh next week and home field throughout with a victory combined with an Arizona (10-3) loss at New Orleans (7-6).

Week 15: Blizzards (12-1) vs. Steelers (7-6)

S Riall Butler won Defensive Player of the Week honors after returning all three of his interceptions for touchdowns in Nebraska’s 34-27 win over Pittsburgh.

The victory, coupled with Arizona’s 41-17 loss to New Orleans, assured Nebraska of the best record in the NFL and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Week 16: Blizzards (13-1) vs. Falcons (9-5)

QB Moran Sweeney completed 19 of 31 for 242 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions as the Blizzards crushed the Falcons 34-6.

Week 17: Blizzards (14-1) at Chiefs (9-6)

QB Moran Sweeney was named Offensive Player of the Week after completing 20 of 31 for 203 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions as the Blizzards finished their second consecutive 15-1 season with a 24-14 comeback victory over the Chiefs.

Full Season Review

The Blizzards finished the regular season with an NFL-best 15-1 record for the second year in a row. The team had the league’s best offense and defense, scoring an average of 29.0 points per game, while allowing only 15.5 per contest.

QB Moran Sweeney led the league with 41 touchdown passes and a 94.5 quarterback rating. He also threw for 3,549 yards and 17 interceptions. RB Jerome Sweeney led the league with 1,841 rushing yards and scored eight touchdowns. He has rushed for over 1,800 yards four times in the last five seasons. WR Buddy Thomason, Nebraska’s first-round pick (36th overall) in 2022 out of Washington, finished the year tied for the league lead with 10 touchdown receptions.

K Eugene Rhodes finished the season making 20 of his 21 field goal attempts. He has missed only four field goals in his two-year career since being drafted in the third round out of South Dakota State for a 92.7% average.

CB Everett Blackwood led the AFC with 10 interceptions and scored two touchdowns. DE Phillip Phipps was seventh in the NFL and second in the AFC with 14.5 sacks.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:20 AM   #14
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

December 1, 2024

MAKO-1: I have visual contact with Grid Iron’s boat.

SHARK’S DEN: Where?

MAKO-1: It’s northbound, approximately 200 nautical miles south of Ensenada.

SHARK’S DEN: Lock on target.

MAKO-1: Roger that.

[Sound of missile lock alert]

MAKO-1: I’ve got tone.

SHARK’S DEN: You are clear to open fire.

MAKO-1: Goodbye, Mr. Iron.

[Sound of missile launch]

MAKO-1: Missiles away.

[Sound of massive explosion]

MAKO-1: Direct hit!

SHARK’S DEN: Excellent.

MAKO-1: I’m going to swing around to check for survivors.

SHARK’S DEN: Status?

MAKO-1: Negative on survivors.

SHARK’S DEN: Well done, Mako-1. Come on home.

MAKO-1: This is Mako-1 and I am outta here. . .

End of transmission.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:38 AM   #15
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Wild Card Playoffs

In an effort to allow FOFCers to follow their favorite teams through the playoffs, I will be posting short summaries of each game.

Game 1: Atlanta Falcons (9-7) at Minnesota Vikings (10-6)

The Falcons could only manage two touchdowns off of interceptions, falling to the Vikings by a score of 17-14.

Game 2: Cincinnati Bengals (10-6) at Miami Dolphins (11-5)

The Dolphins had three interceptions on the day and returned one for a touchdown in a 28-20 victory over the Bengals.

Game 3: Kansas City Chiefs (9-7) at Tennessee Titans (11-5)

Tennesee S Ben Delrio had 13 tackles (10 solos, 3 assist) and two interceptions, one of which was returned 60 yards for a touchdown, as Tennessee held on to beat Kansas City 24-23.

Game 4: New Orleans Saints (9-7) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-6)

New Orleans K Ian Skerritt nailed a 21-yard field goal with 12 seconds on the clock to lift the Saints over the Bucs by a score of 17-15.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #16
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Divisional Playoffs

In an effort to allow FOFCers to follow their favorite teams through the playoffs, I will be posting short summaries of each game.

Game 1: Minnesota Vikings (11-6) at Arizona Cardinals (10-6)

The Vikings rallied for 24 points in the fourth quarter to beat the Cardinals 34-27.

Game 2: New Orleans Saints (10-7) at San Francisco 49ers (11-5)

The San Francisco defense had four interceptions and QB Martin Cunningham had another great game (18 of 30 for 192 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT) as the 49ers beat the Saints 24-8.

Game 3: Tennessee Titans (12-5) at New York Jets (12-4)

The New Jersey DE Bryan Joseph had three sacks and the Titans’ quarterback was intercepted three times as the Jets prevailed 16-6.

Game 4: Miami Dolphins (12-5) at Nebraska Blizzards (15-1)

The game is coming up!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:45 AM   #17
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Blizzards win OT thriller 16-13!

Nebraska advances to fourth consecutive AFC Championship

December 14, 2024

Lincoln, Nebraska (Ticker) – Nebraska K Eugene Rhodes tied the game on a 38-yard field goal as time expired in regulation and then nailed the game-winner from 24 yards out with 5:08 left in overtime as the Blizzards survived the Miami Dolphins by a score of 16-13.

“That was one of the most exciting games I’ve ever played,” said DE Willie Norris whose 22 tackles set a new NFL playoff record. “You can never count us out, even when things look hopeless.”

Things certainly did look hopeless for the Blizzards late in the game. The Nebraska offense struggled throughout the day after starting QB Moran Sweeney left the game early in the first quarter due to injury, but the Blizzards were clinging to a 10-6 lead with just 2:20 left in the game. Unfortunately, the Nebraska defense faltered, allowing the Dolphins to drive 71 yards for a touchdown in just 1:49 to take a 13-10 lead with only 31 seconds on the clock. After a 42-yard kickoff return, however, the Blizzards went 32-yards in just 15 seconds, keyed by a 23-yard pass from backup QB Luther Sheen to WR Buddy Thomason, to set up Rhodes’ 38-yard field goal with six seconds on the clock and send the game to overtime.

In the extra session, disaster struck immediately when Luther Sheen fumbled after being sacked, giving Miami a first-down at the Nebraska 31. Incredibly, however, the Dolphins chose to throw the ball on the very next play and CB Everett Blackwood intercepted it at the Nebraska 18.

The teams exchanged punts on their next two possessions, but Nebraska finally broke through on a 25-yard pass from Luther Sheen to WR Morion Clemons, seven rushes by RB Jerome Sweeney for 28 yards, and a five-yard illegal use of the hands penalty, to allow Eugene Rhodes to kick his 24-yard game-winning field goal with 5:14 on the clock.

Code:
Box Score: Miami Dolphins at Nebraska Blizzards. Attendance: 75,000 (75,000), No-Shows: 0. Weather: 18 degrees, fair. 1Q: 07:11 MIA - Chris Estevez 32 field goal. 3Q: 02:50 MIA - Chris Estevez 50 field goal. 4Q: 09:19 NEB - Morion Clemons 6 pass from Luther Sheen. 4Q: 09:19 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 4Q: 02:20 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 18 field goal. 4Q: 00:31 MIA - Thabiti Mattos 5 pass from Tracy Kelly. 4Q: 00:31 MIA - Chris Estevez extra point. 4Q: 00:00 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 38 field goal. OT: 05:08 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 24 field goal. Game MVP: NEB 94 Willie Norris Miami 3 0 3 7 0 - 13 Nebraska 0 0 0 13 3 - 16 Team Statistics MIA NEB First Downs 18 25 Rushes 33 42 Rushing Yards 147 199 Yards Per Carry 4.4 4.7 Pass Attempts 31 30 Completions 17 17 Passing Yards 158 272 Yards Per Attempt 5.0 9.0 Sacked 2 2 Yards Lost 12 14 Net Passing Yards 146 258 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/1 Total Plays 66 74 Total Yards 293 457 Yards Per Play 4.4 6.1 3rd Down Plays 3/14 3/13 Penalties 5 10 Penalty Yards 30 104 Time Of Possession 32:05 37:47 Miami Dolphins Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 22 Poole 29 119 4.1 14 0 33 Craig 2 13 6.5 12 0 13 Kelly 1 8 8.0 8 0 86 Mattos 1 7 7.0 7 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 13 Kelly 31 17 158 5.0 40 1 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD 80 Jenkins 3 18 6.0 6 0 88 Diaz 3 18 6.0 7 0 86 Mattos 3 28 9.3 16 1 33 Craig 2 7 3.5 6 0 89 Long 2 20 10.0 13 0 22 Poole 2 13 6.5 7 0 85 Filer 2 54 27.0 40 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 36 Blades 2 10 5.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 36 Blades 1 34 34.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 19 Wilkins 7 288 41.1 51 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 9 Estevez 2 3 50 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 46 Terrell 13 1 0.0 0 0 0 50 Kohler 9 5 0.0 0 0 0 56 McCreary 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 98 Compton 6 1 2.0 0 0 0 92 Poole 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 34 Blake 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 99 Halas 3 5 0.0 0 0 0 45 Fitzgerald 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 40 Towne 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 94 Witte 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 52 Harmon 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 28 Burroughs 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 76 Crane 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 49 Irwin 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 88 Diaz 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Stubbs 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 86 Mattos 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Malone 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 39 Zaccardelli 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 57 Stubbs 0 0 0 1 1 72 Stultz 0 0 0 3 1 63 Strong 0 0 0 2 0 89 Long 0 0 0 2 0 74 Maldonado 0 0 0 2 0 76 Crane 0 0 0 2 0 33 Craig 0 0 0 1 0 99 Halas 0 1 0 0 0 Nebraska Blizzards Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 43 Sweeney 30 165 5.5 24 0 10 Sheen 7 34 4.8 8 0 45 Reid 5 0 0.0 10 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 10 Sheen 29 16 256 8.8 28 1 0 15 Sweeney 1 1 16 16.0 16 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD 88 Thomason 6 110 18.3 28 0 80 Donovan 3 37 12.3 18 0 81 Clemons 3 42 14.0 25 1 86 Zeigler 2 32 16.0 16 0 83 Clinton 1 26 26.0 26 0 45 Reid 1 8 8.0 8 0 85 Franz 1 17 17.0 17 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 85 Franz 3 12 4.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 85 Franz 3 87 29.0 0 27 Mangum 2 21 10.5 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 12 Bunyan 8 335 41.8 50 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 8 Rhodes 3 3 38 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 94 Norris 22 0 0.0 0 0 0 55 Thelwell 12 1 0.0 0 0 0 34 Osborne 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 37 Blackwood 3 2 0.0 1 0 0 42 Long 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 91 Brenner 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 50 Dishman 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Phipps 1 0 2.0 0 0 0 27 Mangum 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 69 Jefferson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 45 Reid 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 46 O'Neil 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Butler 0 3 0.0 0 0 0 33 Francis 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 95 Schwartz 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 69 Jefferson 0 0 0 1 1 76 Windsor 0 0 0 3 1 80 Donovan 0 0 0 2 0 67 Moore 0 0 0 2 0 68 Hanson 0 0 0 2 0 62 Grembowski 0 0 0 2 0 10 Sheen 1 0 0 0 0
Old 04-02-2003, 09:52 AM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Boooo!

What happened? Where there crawfish with lasers instead of claws on the boat?

oops, wrong dynasty.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:53 AM   #19
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

December 15, 2024

Well, I'm back in the United States on a Greyhound bus to Lincoln. This ride is much nicer than the one I took in Mexico. I was going to take the fishing boat to Ensenada, but I came down with a severe flu while we were stopped in Cabo San Lucas. I was too sick to go back out to sea, so I stayed while the boat headed north to Ensenada.

I traveled for several days on buses and hoped to meet the crew when they arrived in Ensenada, but the boat never came into port. They must have found some good fishing out there and didn't want to come in yet.

After two days in Ensenada, I took another bus to the border, where I crossed without anyone noticing me. I picked up the Greyhound in San Diego.

I've been riding on this bus for three days so far, and I'll be back in Lincoln tomorrow!

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-02-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:55 AM   #20
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Boooo!

What happened? Where there crawfish with lasers instead of claws on the boat?

LOL!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #21
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Conference Championships

NFC Championship: Minnesota Vikings (12-6) at San Francisco 49ers (12-5)

San Francisco QB Martin Cunningham was 21 of 29 for 196 yards, four touchdowns and one interception as the 49ers clinched the NFC Championship 36-21.

AFC Championship: New York Jets (13-4) at Nebraska Blizzards (16-1)

The New York Jets face the Blizzards in the AFC Championship for the second consecutive year. The game is coming up, so stay tuned!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:31 AM   #22
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Blizzards ground Jets 27-7!

Nebraska will play in fourth consecutive Super Bowl

December 21, 2024

Lincoln, Nebraska (Ticker) – RB Jerome Sweeney rushed for 136 yards and two touchdowns and the Nebraska defense allowed just 171 total yards as the Blizzards cruised to a 27-7 AFC Championship victory over the Jets.

“We’re going for the four-peat plain and simple,” said Jerome, who was named the AFC Championship MVP for the third consecutive year. “When we get on a roll, we’re unstoppable.”

The game was close at first with Nebraska holding on to a 3-0 lead at halftime, the home team’s only points coming on a 26-yard field goal late in the second quarter. After the intermission, however, the Blizzards scored two touchdowns to take a 17-0 lead. The Jets pulled to within 10 points at 17-7 with 10:54 left in the game, but the Blizzards extinguished any chance of a comeback by responding with a touchdown and a field goal to clinch the victory.

Code:
Box Score: New Jersey Jets at Nebraska Blizzards. Attendance: 75,000 (75,000), No-Shows: 0. Weather: 21 degrees, fair. 2Q: 06:41 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 26 field goal. 3Q: 07:09 NEB - Jerome Sweeney 3 run. 3Q: 07:09 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 4Q: 14:51 NEB - Courtney Donovan 15 pass from Moran Sweeney. 4Q: 14:51 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 4Q: 10:54 NJY - Claude Tavares 5 pass from Nick Tubbs. 4Q: 10:54 NJY - Lance Dunlap extra point. 4Q: 02:42 NEB - Jerome Sweeney 16 run. 4Q: 02:42 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 4Q: 00:11 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 36 field goal. Game MVP: NEB 43 Jerome Sweeney New Jersey 0 0 0 7 - 7 Nebraska 0 3 7 17 - 27 Team Statistics NJY NEB First Downs 9 19 Rushes 20 38 Rushing Yards 29 196 Yards Per Carry 1.4 5.1 Pass Attempts 32 27 Completions 13 20 Passing Yards 154 210 Yards Per Attempt 4.8 7.7 Sacked 2 3 Yards Lost 12 17 Net Passing Yards 142 193 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/1 0/0 Total Plays 54 68 Total Yards 171 389 Yards Per Play 3.1 5.7 3rd Down Plays 3/14 5/15 Penalties 4 9 Penalty Yards 20 65 Time Of Possession 21:34 38:26 New Jersey Jets Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 21 Dunaway 13 13 1.0 10 0 25 Morse 3 1 0.3 7 0 3 Tubbs 2 4 2.0 2 0 28 Douglas 1 5 5.0 5 0 32 Maloney 1 6 6.0 6 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 3 Tubbs 31 13 154 4.9 64 1 1 7 Yepremian 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD 82 Sawyer 4 33 8.2 9 0 89 Olivarez 3 25 8.3 9 0 87 Offutt 2 10 5.0 8 0 80 Tavares 2 20 10.0 15 1 21 Dunaway 1 2 2.0 2 0 85 Novotny 1 64 64.0 64 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 85 Novotny 3 23 7.6 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 20 Rohde 4 76 19.0 0 85 Novotny 1 24 24.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 14 Lay 8 349 43.6 52 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 6 Dunlap 0 0 0 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 50 Abbey 8 2 1.0 0 0 0 44 Maloney 7 2 0.0 0 0 0 23 Platt 6 2 0.0 0 0 0 20 Rohde 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Snell 4 0 1.0 0 0 0 54 Norgard 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 91 Joseph 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 51 Benedict 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Robbins 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 99 Joseph 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Lynch 2 1 1.0 0 0 0 95 Freeman 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 42 Lamb 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 58 Palutke 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Estep 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 32 Maloney 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 48 Berlin 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 64 Hitchcock 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Westbrook 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 63 Douglas 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 80 Tavares 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 38 Willis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 45 Bailey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 70 Alderman 0 0 0 1 1 53 McDaniels 0 0 0 0 1 87 Offutt 0 0 0 1 0 32 Maloney 1 0 0 0 0 72 Schneider 0 0 0 1 0 Nebraska Blizzards Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 43 Sweeney 25 136 5.4 31 2 15 Sweeney 6 34 5.6 9 0 49 Woodard 4 13 3.2 9 0 83 Clinton 1 8 8.0 8 0 25 Godwin 1 1 1.0 1 0 35 Woodard 1 4 4.0 4 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 15 Sweeney 27 20 210 7.7 27 1 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD 83 Clinton 7 64 9.1 17 0 80 Donovan 5 42 8.4 16 1 88 Thomason 5 75 15.0 27 0 35 Woodard 2 20 10.0 11 0 81 Clemons 1 9 9.0 9 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 85 Franz 4 45 11.2 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Mangum 1 12 12.0 0 85 Franz 1 24 24.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 12 Bunyan 7 243 34.7 44 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 8 Rhodes 2 3 36 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 94 Norris 10 0 1.0 0 0 0 55 Thelwell 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 42 Long 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Mangum 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Butler 2 2 0.0 1 4 0 34 Osborne 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 91 Brenner 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Shea 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Shaw 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Phipps 1 1 1.0 0 0 0 95 Schwartz 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 25 Godwin 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 81 Clemons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 62 Grembowski 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 35 Woodard 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Toledo 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 45 Reid 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Yiu 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 35 Woodard 0 0 0 0 1 62 Grembowski 0 0 0 4 1 76 Windsor 0 0 0 6 0 67 Moore 0 0 0 1 1 27 Mangum 0 1 0 0 0 68 Hanson 0 0 0 1 0 69 Jefferson 0 0 0 1 0
Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 AM   #23
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Grid Iron is back!

Blizzards GM awakes from coma

December 22, 2024

Lincoln, Neb. (AP) -- Grid Iron, General Manager of the Nebraska Blizzards, awoke from a year-long coma, his wife announced today at their home in Lincoln. "I'm just happy to have him home," she said as tears rolled down her face. "I thought I'd never get him back."

"It was an incredible ordeal," Iron said. He declined to give details on what he felt or experienced during the coma. "I'm just glad to be back."

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-03-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:40 AM   #24
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

To: [email protected]
Subject: Grid Iron
Date: December 23, 2024

It appears your aerial strike destroyed the boat, but missed the target. He must have jumped ship at an earlier port.

This is very, very bad. However, I have an idea of how to get those computers back . . .
Old 04-04-2003, 12:54 AM   #25
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Super Four-peat!

Blizzards crush 49ers 48-7 in NFL Championship

December 28, 2024

Lincoln, NE (Ticker) – Nebraska QB Moran Sweeney was 22 of 34 for 308 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions as the Blizzards crushed the San Francisco 49ers to win their fourth consecutive Super Bowl by a score of 48-7.

“I guess I picked the right day to have one of my best games of the year,” said Moran Sweeney, who won his second career Super Bowl MVP award and won his fifth NFL Championship. “We’re 13-0 in the playoffs with four Super Bowl rings over the last four seasons, what more can I say?”

The scoring began with a one-yard touchdown run by RB Jerome Sweeney in the first quarter. Moran Sweeney, not to be outdone by his brother, followed that up with a touchdown pass early in the second quarter to make the score 14-0. CB Everett Blackwood then picked off San Francisco QB Martin Cunningham and took it 40 yards for a score, putting Nebraska up 21-0. The 49ers responded with a touchdown drive of their own, but Jerome Sweeney ran seven yards off right tackle with 50 seconds left in the half to give Nebraska a 28-7 at the intermission.

The massacre continued in the second half as Moran Sweeney threw two more touchdowns and K Eugene Rhodes added two field goals to finish the scoring. The defense played incredibly well by holding the 49ers to a single touchdown and recording three interceptions and five sacks on the day.

Code:
Box Score: San Francisco Niners at Nebraska Blizzards. Attendance: 75,000 (75,000), No-Shows: 0. Weather: 24 degrees, fair. 1Q: 05:56 NEB - Jerome Sweeney 1 run. 1Q: 05:56 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 2Q: 14:04 NEB - Jerome Sweeney 5 pass from Moran Sweeney. 2Q: 14:04 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 2Q: 07:27 NEB - Everett Blackwood 40 interception return. 2Q: 07:27 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 2Q: 04:04 SFO - Karon Applewhite 25 pass from Martin Cunningham. 2Q: 04:04 SFO - Sam Brewer extra point. 2Q: 00:41 NEB - Jerome Sweeney 7 run. 2Q: 00:41 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 3Q: 11:47 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 29 field goal. 3Q: 08:01 NEB - Buddy Thomason 10 pass from Moran Sweeney. 3Q: 08:01 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 3Q: 04:52 NEB - Fred Woodard 5 pass from Moran Sweeney. 3Q: 04:52 NEB - Eugene Rhodes extra point. 4Q: 04:02 NEB - Eugene Rhodes 42 field goal. Game MVP: NEB 15 Moran Sweeney San Francisco 0 7 0 0 - 7 Nebraska 7 21 17 3 - 48 Team Statistics SFO NEB First Downs 13 29 Rushes 16 30 Rushing Yards 81 135 Yards Per Carry 5.0 4.5 Pass Attempts 37 40 Completions 21 26 Passing Yards 236 363 Yards Per Attempt 6.3 9.0 Sacked 5 3 Yards Lost 29 19 Net Passing Yards 207 344 Interceptions 3 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/1 2/1 Total Plays 58 73 Total Yards 288 479 Yards Per Play 4.9 6.5 3rd Down Plays 3/12 4/11 Penalties 10 5 Penalty Yards 70 43 Time Of Possession 27:03 32:57 San Francisco Niners Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 27 Peters 8 69 8.6 21 0 36 Lewis 4 1 0.2 3 0 15 Cunningham 2 8 4.0 5 0 41 Reese 2 3 1.5 3 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 15 Cunningham 24 13 183 7.6 55 1 2 2 Ingram 8 4 28 3.5 8 0 1 6 Harding 5 4 25 5.0 7 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD 80 Bradford 10 85 8.5 17 0 84 Applewhite 3 89 29.6 55 1 83 McPhee 2 17 8.5 10 0 85 Elliott 2 14 7.0 8 0 27 Peters 2 14 7.0 8 0 36 Lewis 1 10 10.0 10 0 82 Jeffries 1 7 7.0 7 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 82 Jeffries 1 8 8.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 36 Lewis 3 63 21.0 0 82 Jeffries 3 72 24.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Morrison 7 312 44.5 56 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 7 Brewer 0 0 0 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 56 Dominquez 12 2 0.0 0 0 0 54 Houston 6 2 0.0 0 0 0 37 Zelenka 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 55 Newhart 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 35 Summers 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 32 Moseley 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 McNeil 3 0 2.0 0 0 0 49 Abernathy 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 92 Kitchens 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 46 Tylski 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 21 Stavros 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 65 Rubisch 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Fletcher 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 41 Reese 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 91 Sanders 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 83 McPhee 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 73 Henson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 82 Jeffries 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 67 Lyons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Shea 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 94 McIntyre 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 51 Barton 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 39 Couch 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 67 Lyons 0 0 0 0 1 69 Shelton 0 0 0 0 1 73 Henson 0 0 0 0 2 59 Banks 0 0 0 2 0 65 Rubisch 0 0 0 0 1 52 Watson 0 0 0 1 0 63 Schultz 0 0 0 1 0 93 Fletcher 0 1 0 0 0 36 Lewis 1 0 0 0 0 78 Cuomo 0 0 0 1 0 Nebraska Blizzards Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 43 Sweeney 13 27 2.0 12 2 49 Woodard 8 63 7.8 26 0 15 Sweeney 6 38 6.3 8 0 25 Godwin 3 7 2.3 4 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int 15 Sweeney 34 22 308 9.0 48 3 0 10 Sheen 6 4 55 9.1 29 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg Long TD 83 Clinton 5 68 13.6 25 0 88 Thomason 5 86 17.2 29 1 80 Donovan 4 66 16.5 20 0 35 Woodard 4 43 10.7 13 1 81 Clemons 3 74 24.6 48 0 43 Sweeney 2 6 3.0 5 1 26 McMahan 2 13 6.5 11 0 89 Fryar 1 7 7.0 7 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 85 Franz 4 32 8.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Mangum 1 14 14.0 0 85 Franz 1 22 22.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 12 Bunyan 3 133 44.3 49 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 8 Rhodes 2 3 42 6 6 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 58 Shaw 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Mangum 4 2 0.0 2 15 0 55 Thelwell 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Shea 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 46 O'Neil 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 81 Clemons 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Phipps 2 0 2.5 0 0 0 95 Schwartz 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 33 Francis 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 42 Long 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Osborne 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 94 Norris 1 0 1.0 0 0 0 37 Blackwood 1 0 0.0 1 40 1 50 Dishman 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Butler 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 25 Godwin 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 49 Woodard 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 91 Brenner 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 69 Jefferson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 99 Ervin 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 90 Yiu 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 57 Toledo 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 77 Coyle 0 0 0 1 1 69 Jefferson 0 0 0 1 2 67 Moore 0 0 0 3 0 76 Windsor 0 0 0 3 0 68 Hanson 0 0 0 1 0 10 Sheen 1 0 0 0 0 55 Thelwell 0 1 0 0 0 94 Norris 0 1 0 0 0 85 Franz 1 0 0 0 0

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-04-2003 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #26
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Jets’ Dunaway wins MVP award!

December 29, 2024

New York Jets RB Archie Dunaway won league MVP honors for the third consecutive year after rushing for 1,563 yards (2nd) and 14 touchdowns (T-1st). He also caught 31 passes for 280 yards and two touchdowns. Dunaway, the Seattle Seahawks’ first-round pick (4th overall) in 2014 out of Kentucky, is sixth on the all-time rushing list with 15,548 yards.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:38 AM   #27
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

2024 Season Review

2024 was another awesome season for the Blizzards as the team won a fourth consecutive Super Bowl. Nebraska quarterback Moran Sweeney set a franchise record with 41 touchdown passes and won his second Super Bowl MVP award. Moran's brother, running back Jerome Sweeney, rushed for 1,841 yards to win his fourth Offensive Player of the Year Award in five years.
Code:
Final Division Standings W L T Pct PF PA Div Conf Nebraska 15 1 0 .938 464 248 10-0-0 13-0-0 Kansas City 9 7 0 .563 370 286 5-5-0 7-6-0 Seattle 7 9 0 .438 261 333 7-3-0 7-6-0 Oakland 6 10 0 .375 336 397 2-8-0 4-9-0 Denver 5 11 0 .313 275 316 4-6-0 5-8-0 San Diego 5 11 0 .313 282 379 2-8-0 3-10-0 Schedule Week Opponent Result Attend No-Shows Week 1 Denver Broncos W, 17-3 93,600 1,900 Week 2 OAKLAND RAIDERS W, 42-37 75,000 1,500 Week 3 San Diego Chargers W, 38-19 50,200 6,400 Week 4 New Jersey Jets W, 35-17 89,900 0 Week 5 OPEN Week 6 San Francisco Niners L, 26-31 56,800 6,500 Week 7 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS W, 20-11 75,000 1,500 Week 8 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS W, 31-6 75,000 0 Week 9 GREENVILLE (SC) BOBCATS W, 28-23 75,000 1,500 Week 10 Oakland Raiders W, 30-7 54,500 3,400 Week 11 New Orleans Saints W, 24-13 75,700 4,200 Week 12 DENVER BRONCOS W, 37-20 75,000 700 Week 13 Seattle Seahawks W, 34-7 54,300 1,000 Week 14 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS W, 10-7 75,000 0 Week 15 PITTSBURGH STEELERS W, 34-27 75,000 3,700 Week 16 ATLANTA FALCONS W, 34-6 75,000 0 Week 17 Kansas City Chiefs W, 24-14 63,900 4,500 Division MIAMI DOLPHINS W, 16-13 75,000 0 Conf. NEW JERSEY JETS W, 27-7 75,000 0 S. Bowl SAN FRANCISCO NINERS W, 48-7 75,000 0 Avg. Home Attendance: 75,000 of 75,000 (100.0%) Team Stats Record: 15-1-0 Winning Pct.: .938 Offensive Totals Stat Rank Rushes 597 1 Rushing Yards 2676 1 Yards Per Carry 4.4 4 (T) Pass Attempts 484 24 Completions 281 16(T) Passing Yards 3549 15 Yards Per Attempt 7.3 10(T) 3rd Down Conversion % 42.0 2 Points For 29.0 1 Giveaways 26 29 Turnover Margin +12 3 Defensive Totals Stat Rank Rushes 428 2 Rushing Yards 2057 29 Yards Per Carry 4.8 35(T) Pass Attempts 514 27(T) Completions 235 1 Passing Yards 2773 1 Yards Per Attempt 5.3 1 3rd Down Conversion % 30.5 5 Points Against 15.5 1 Takeaways 38 2 Statistical Leaders Passing GP GS Pos Att Cmp Yds TD Int Rate Sweeney, Moran 16 16 QB 484 281 3549 41 17 94.5 Rushing GP GS Pos Att Yds Avg Lg TD Sweeney, Jerome 16 16 RB 368 1841 5.0 80 8 Receiving GP GS Pos Ctch Yds Avg Lg TD Zeigler, Herb 14 12 WR 51 759 14.8 75 5 Thomason, Buddy 16 8 WR 50 714 14.2 43 10 Clinton, Vince 12 12 WR 55 690 12.5 23 9 Donovan, Courtney 15 15 TE 56 688 12.5 23 9 Punt Returns GP GS Pos PR Yds Avg TD Franz, Richards* 16 0 WR 23 173 7.5 0 Kick Returns GP GS Pos KR Yds Avg TD Franz, Richard* 16 0 WR 23 565 24.5 0 Punting GP GS Pos Punt Yds Avg Lg In20 Bunyan, Kenny 16 0 P 80 3302 41.2 64 27 Kicking GP GS Pos FG FGA Long PAT Att Rhodes, Eugene 16 0 K 20 21 46 54 56 Defense GP GS Pos Tckl Asst Sack Int IRYd TD Thelwell, Tevita 16 16 LB 94 24 0.5 1 16 0 Norris, Willie 13 13 DE 76 6 5.5 0 0 0 Phipps, Phillip 16 16 DE 49 11 14.5 0 0 0 Mangum, Charles 14 14 S 45 10 0.0 5 54 0 Blackwood, Everett 16 0 CB 41 15 0.0 10 318 2 Riall, Butler 13 13 S 28 7 0.0 5 171 3 Blocking GP GS Pos KRB KRO BPct SkA Moore, Julio 16 16 C 44 133 33.0 10 Windsor, Lamont 16 16 G 44 112 39.2 3 * = Rookie Awards QB Moran Sweeney (Super Bowl MVP, First Team) RB Jerome Sweeney (Offesive Player of the Year, First Team) TE Courtney Donovan (First Team) C Julio Moore (First Team) G Lamont Windsor (First Team) DE Phillip Phipps (Second Team) CB Everett Blackwood (First Team) Finances 2023 2024 Chng Revenue $372.3M $615.3M + 65% Cost $302.3M $336.5M + 11% Profit $ 70.1M $279.8M +298%

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-04-2003 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:49 AM   #28
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Transcript of 911 Call

December 31, 2024

GRID IRON: Hello, this is Jack Iron.

DISPATCH: What’s your address, Mr. Iron?

GRID IRON: 742 Evergreen Terrace.

DISPATCH: What’s your emergency?

GRID IRON: My son is missing.

DISPATCH: Please describe him.

GRID IRON: 13 years old, about 5’3”, 120 pounds.

DISPATCH: How do you know he’s missing?

GRID IRON: I went into his room tonight . . .

DISPATCH: Go on . . .

GRID IRON: And his window was open and he was gone.

DISPATCH: Are you sure he didn’t leave on his own?

GRID IRON: I doubt it, he had a very bad cold . . .

DISPATCH: I’ll put out a bulletin for him and send an officer to your home to take a report.

GRID IRON: Thank you very much, my wife and I are so worried.

DISPATCH: No problem. I’m sure he’s fine, sir.

GRID IRON: Thank you.

End of call.

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-04-2003 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #29
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

To: [email protected]
Subject: Our mutual interests
Date: December 31, 2024

Mr. Iron, we have never met but I think we should meet.

You see, you have something I want very, very much.

And, as luck would have it, I have something that I am sure you want back very, very soon . . .
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #30
StanGunner
Mascot

Unhappy

bad..bad..very bad...
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:24 AM   #31
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Stay tuned for 2025 . . . Coming up in a few days!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #32
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

bump. It has been a month, that is not nice.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 05-04-2003, 06:31 PM   #33
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Sorry about the delay. My work schedule is packed for the next two months. So, the Blizzards dynasty is going on an extended hiatus. Hopefully, I'll start up again early June.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #34
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

No problem, as long as this cliff-hanger has an ending.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #35
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Grid Iron
Sorry about the delay. My work schedule is packed for the next two months. So, the Blizzards dynasty is going on an extended hiatus. Hopefully, I'll start up again early June.

I hate extended hiati...

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #36
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

bump.

Your fans have not forgotten Mr. Grid Iron.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:16 AM   #37
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Wow! It's been so long since my last entry. Thanks for the interest!

I've been working alot and just got back from a three-week vacation. If I'm not in trial next week, I should be able to post one or two seasons.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:58 AM   #38
StanGunner
Mascot

We await your return!!
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote