Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
TimGuru
High School Varsity

1978 Team Previews

For my first time in FOOL, spring training will go toward settling roster spots, as I have a LOT of pitching that may or may not be any good.

The Highlanders' offense was monstrous last year, and is essentially unchanged. There is a chance a new youngster will be up as backup catcher, and Zamora has an outside chance to make the team in a utility/bench role. Manning will most likely be my right handed, take the heat off Conway guy at 1B. And the addition of Brandon Black should be a huge step up from Aldridge.

My bullpen was a source of concern, and I did a lot to bolster it, notably bringing in Ishibashi. With Conley, Ishibashi and (probably) Lopez at the back of my bullpen, I should be hard to beat in games close and late.

Getting to close and late is still a big question mark, as I do not have a real true stud starter yet (Berui is still at least 1 season at AAA away). Whatever 5 guys I end up with in my rotation will need to exceed the chattering class' expectations for the Highlanders to be any real threat.

It is still too early on the calendar to say for sure what I think the Highlanders will be in 1978. But I am confident that they will not be an embarrassment to the fine city they represent.

TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
magic_number
Mascot

X-up 2nd time

I hope for .500+ ball & if lucky maybe a bit more.

I wonder what will DJ do with so much time on his hands for the 1st time in his MLB life span??

later
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

So im checking out the RL teams due to me being sick and missing all of yesterday, and im officially worried about Chicago and Columbus....... Geez...
Colorado looks likey are about there and Compton with what they did last year can be slept on...... Gonna be another tough year in the RL i suspect
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

Good luck tonight to everyone. I wont be in attandance to see how things went but hopefully ill be back in time for Sunday nights sim. DC im praying you got my export.... Talk to everyone Sunday
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
kaosfere
College Prospect

1978 Toronto Osprey Preview
(1977: 67-87, 7th CL)

The Osprey have been in freefall since their '75 title, with a finish back below .500 last year. Toronto have spent the off-season refocusing their team on pitching and contact hitters, and have replaced some of the expensive dead weight with promising youngsters.

Only David Simpson and Eric Braun return to the pitching rotation this year, with Floyd Yarbrough, Manny Lopez, and Dave Hardee joining the starting squadron. There is no one of the standout star caliber that the rotation has had in the past, but it is more consistent, from top to bottom, than it has been in years.

Logan Finley was traded away during the off-season, but he has been replaced in the bullpen by new draftee Julio Martinez. Martinez joins long-time Osprey Anthony Zijm as the core of the relief force. Joining them will be Corey Templeman, newly acquired from Hartford, and the returning Brian Taylor and Francisco Padilla. Dave McDonald joins the club to share closing duties with Padilla. The bullpen looks ready to repeat its CL-leading performance last year.

Toronto's big-bat infield has been parted out in exchange for a quicker, nimbler squad this year which the Osprey hope will be more attuned to their home park.

Andre Lujan leaves after four years with the squad. His various roles at first and third will be assumed by returning Jose Diaz (1B) and newcomer Sal Sandoval (3B). Elmer Meyer, second baseman for the past 3 years, returns to his role, as does shortstop Kristopher Shaffer.

There has been a bit of a shake-up in the outfield, too. Right fielder Patrick Catron failed to make the team this year, and will spend the year in AAA. He yields his position to Elliott Richard, over from Baltimore. Ron Lord stays on the club, but will not be starting for the first time in five years, as Emilio Perez returns from a stint in AAA to his first crack at the starting lineup. Alejandro Corona does return this year to his left field position as the sole returning outfield starter.

This club will not be the home-run machine that it has been in years prior, but, rather, will focus on small-ball and hope to exploit a bumper crop of solid-contact, high-speed players. The starting rotation looks solid, but will not be lights out.

In an increasingly challenging CL, this team is not constructed to go all the way. They may not even be back above .500, but there is certainly a chance. It will depend on how the new pieces all fit together, and if some of the men who are getting a new chance this year step up.

Prediction: 77-77, 5th place
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186

Last edited by kaosfere : 10-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1978 Valdosta Peanuts
1977 CL Champions (97-57)

Valdosta this season will be looking to become the first team in FOOL history to go 10 consecutive seasons with 90+ wins and will be returning virtually the same team as last season to attempt to do so. The biggest question in the Southeast U.S. this year won't be whether or not the Peanuts have enough talented players to contend, but instead if aged players such as 37 year old Rick Inman, 35 year old Whit O'Neal or 33 year old Albert Barbosa and Mac Rasmussen can keep it up long enough to not fade before the season ends.

The Valdosta pitching rotation returns their same 4 starting pitchers that have been on the team since 1971. The foresome of Carlos Gonzales, Joel Garner, Charles Wilson and Whit O'neal have combined in that time for a 434 - 201 (.689) record and 5 Pitcher of the Year Awards. The big question mark however is in regards to O'Neal's stamina as reports from spring training state that his fastball still hits 97-99 mph, but doesn't have as much movement as before and thus has become a bit more hittable. In order to shore up the rotation, the Peanuts look to rely on either Alonso Hernandez (12-10 4.03 ERA last season) and Brendon Hutchesson (1-0 3.60 ERA in 2 games started during last year's fool classic) to fill out the bottom of the rotation.

Last year's Valdosta Peanuts not only led the league in the fewest runs given up, but they also led the league in the most runs scored. For a 12th season the weight of the Peanuts offense will fall on the shoulders of Rick Inman who at age 36 last season still hit .315 with 16 HR and 87 RBI. Reports from spring training this year however state that Valdosta will likely try to rest Inman more this season in hopes to keep him fresh for September. This means likely more playing time for 2B Cary Andrew who in limited playing time hit .317 with a .868 OPS in only 227 At Bats last season.

The Outfield still features Mac Rasmussen, a 4 time hitter of the year whom had a slight fall off last year in performance as expected in a new park. At age 33, it is highly unlikely that he will return to his days of 1.000+ OPS performances. The Peanuts will be looking for at least a repeat of last year's stats however if they are to remain competitive in the CL. Second year player Christian 'Red-headed stepchild' Knapp looked impressive in his rookie debut with a .854 OPS last season but the player to watch this year is Left fielder Chris Drew whom manager Alan T has been heard to compare during this spring season to another former Valdosta Peanut Ruben Mendoza.

The expectations for this team are uncertain as for the first time this decade there are huge question marks in their vaunted pitching staff. The Peanuts may end up having to outscore other teams in order to win alot of games this season.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

1978 Rio Grande Roadrunners

Who the hell are these guys and where did they come from? Oh look, Tanaka is still there. Cool.

Prediction: 6th place in CL
Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

1978 Baltimore Gothams

1978 Baltimore Gothams
(1977 record 82-72, 2nd in CL, 12GB)

The Gothams are going old school, hoping that a change in name and ballpark, will also result in a change in the standings.
Mount Peanut so far has been insurmountable, but there is reason for hope.
1976, saw the Terrapins spot the Peanuts a 7.5 game lead after April, then claw back to within 2 games of the leaders, only to finish 4 back.
1977, saw an even worse start, spotting the Roasted ones a 10.5 game lead after April, and finishing 12 back.
All 25 men on the roster are WELL aware that we start playing baseball for keeps in April, and we can look for a quicker jump from the gate in '78...
In fact, "Quick from the gate, in '78" has replaced 'The CL's bitch, since '66' as our teams slogan.

The Offense-
SPEED and contact are the words of the day. Starting with catalyst Thomas Ewing. Ewing was a finalist for the CL MVP last season while becoming the first FOOL to swipe 100 bases in a single season. Chances are he will not repeat his .341 average 71 extra base hits and 100 steals, but he can be relied on for a 40 VORP.
Also burning the bases are sophomore CF Domingo Sanchez and SS Richard Tabachri. Sanchez is just coming into his own and may be a 30-30 man, and Tabachri is the FOOL's version of Omar Vizquel.
The only new fulltime member of the offense is C Josh Robinson. He will platoon versus right handers and is counted on to hit between .280 and .300 in 400Abs.
Look for 3B Ignacio Costa to break out this season. He has all the talent in the world, and his boost to 90 con, 95pow versus righties can on help improve on his .239 avg and 14hrs in his rookie campaign.
There is not a hole in the lineup, but apart from Ewing, there are not any superstars either.

The Pitching-
Pitching is still solid but not spectacular. The Gothams lack an ACE, but can pump out quality start after quality start with their young trio of Ivan Flores, Mike Brown and David Lewis. Mix in a veteran presence in converted closer Xinpeng Tien, and this is a very good starting staff.
Sophomore Richardo Villegas will step into the closer role, and a mix bag of veterans complete a stable bullpen. I am not concerned at all about my pitching staff...Tien is 36, but showing no signs of slowing down and the rest have been remarkably consistent and I have to reason to think '78 will be any different. This can be a Championship staff, IF we get enough offense to support them.

What we need to do to win-
Ewing stays hot
Sanchez, Suarez and Costa play up to their ratings
Everyone else keeps doing what they've been doing for the past several season.

Prediction- 2nd

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

1978 Columbus Crusaders
1977 - 77-77 (t4th, 23 GB)

What a difference a season can make. The Crusaders, fresh off of their 1976 FOOL Championship, proceeed to have a major hangover last year, finishing at .500 with approximately the same team as their championship team. Crusader Nation was thrilled to see their first FOOL title come to the Buckeye State, but were very displeased with the effort from last season's ballclub.

GM Daniel Turner ordered everything that said "1976 FOOL Champions" to be removed from the jerseys and the ballclub, sans the banner in right field. However, to the dismay of parts of Crusader Nation, Turner has stuck with most of these guys again to attempt to win the Republic League for a 2nd time.

C Anibal Ramirez, 27 and a 7 time All-Star selection, was recently rewarded with a 3-yr, 37.4 million dollar contract extension. The face of the franchise, Ramirez had a down year by his standards (.314, .372 OBP, 14 HR's), but hopes that his 9th season with the Seattle/Columbus franchise (tied with 3B Alberto Vargas and P Gilbert Perreault for the longest tenure with this franchise) will be his best one yet.

1B Holden Matthews was the catalyst in his first season with the Crusaders, leading them to the championship, but he slumped last season (.304, .798 OPS). Matthews hopes to prove wrong those who believe he is mailing it in on his 4 yr, 46 million dollar contract.

1B/DH Joaquim Guerrero was one of the lone bright spots last season, earning the Crusader of the Year award. Guerrero (.318, 20 HR) is only 20 and Columbus hopes they can count on him for years to come.

SS Juan Reyes, the wily veteran and 2B Felix Acevado, the youngster (.284 in 1977, his 1st year), and 3B Vargas, who had a poor season last year, will round out the infield.

LF Jose Isla and CF Cory Wagner are back, two mashers (23 and 22 HR's respectively) who hope to rebound from poor seasons last year, especially Isla.

The only fresh additions to the club are OF's Ken Kelley and Christian Weighell. Kelley is masher in the mold of Isla and Wagner, but has the potential to lead the league in HR's, as well as SB's and could win the Gold Glove as well. He'll do this, however, while hitting .250ish. Weighell is a more well-rounded hitter, solid at contact and power, and is difficult to strike out.

For the pitching, the starting staff remains the same. SP Ron Fritz has taken over as the ace of the staff. The only SP to have a sub-3 ERA last season (2.85), Fritz, 27, is a flamethrower (220 K). While SP Gilbert Perreault is working on his 9th season, he is actually a year younger than Fritz. Perreault had the worst season of his career (4.62 ERA) and the Crusaders need him to come back stronger than ever. SP's Jesus Lopez, Ryan Wilkins, and veteran Nat Praet round out the staff.

The bullpen is led by a bunch of time-tested arms, such as 35-year old CL Chris Long (3.13 ERA, 36 saves), 36-year old MR Aaron Dailey (3.12 in 86 IP), 33-year old MR Dale Hawkins (FA from Long Island), and 30-year old MR Edward Cummings (3.52 in 69 IP). Columbus needs some strong innings from 2nd year MR Bas Renders as the only lefty on the team (5.17 ERA in 31 IP).

Overall, the expectations are still high in Columbus. Hartford has an amazing team, and as the defending champions, it will be difficult for Columbus to regain the title. I think the Crusaders will come in better than last season, finish at 84-70, but will finish 2nd behind Hartford.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote