Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

HBO kills Preacher

HBO Kills ‘Preacher’

Fucking fuckers. Wonder if A Game of Thrones will be too controversial as well?

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
HBO Kills ‘Preacher’

Fucking fuckers. Wonder if A Game of Thrones will be too controversial as well?

As much fun as it could have been, Preacher never had a shot in hell of being made. Remember how many people got their panties twisted in a bunch about "The DaVinci Code"? Their heads would explode at just some of what Garth Ennis does here.

God as a devout coward?

Jesus not only having children, but having several who, in turned, were inbred for 2,000 years to the extent that Jesus' only living relative is a nose-picking mentally-handicapped kid?

That's just some of it.

As great as that series is, uh, no.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As for a "Game of Thrones", I don't think HBO will ding it because it's too controversial, but I just don't think it's filmable. Too expensive to really do right, I fear.

I am still hopeful.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
As much fun as it could have been, Preacher never had a shot in hell of being made. Remember how many people got their panties twisted in a bunch about "The DaVinci Code"? Their heads would explode at just some of what Garth Ennis does here.

God as a devout coward?

Jesus not only having children, but having several who, in turned, were inbred for 2,000 years to the extent that Jesus' only living relative is a nose-picking mentally-handicapped kid?

That's just some of it.

As great as that series is, uh, no.

It was on track for development, so someone wanted to give it a shot. If the new head of HBO doesn't want it, maybe Showtime will snap it up.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd like to see Starr with his head like a penis.

Seriously though, the comic isn't necessarily about God but friendship. It's a giant Western, just more violent, sick, twisted, and a smattering of blasphemy.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As for a "Game of Thrones", I don't think HBO will ding it because it's too controversial, but I just don't think it's filmable. Too expensive to really do right, I fear.

I am still hopeful.

The real problem with the SOFAI HBO series is that they could take 30 years of seasons to play out what has been written so far, and then have to cancel because Martin still won'ta finished Book 5 yet.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-28-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
SFL Cat
College Starter

Good riddance.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

That sucks - I found the 'Preacher' graphic novels quite intruiging .... some unique ideas imho, although I'm not sure how they'd have managed to stick to the tone of the books and still broadcast it.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
SFL Cat
College Starter

I find confusion over backlash against things like this amusing...

no one would ever draw a comic or want to do series whose heroes are a group of friends who also happened to be...oh, say neo-nazis or members of the KKK. Yeah, every now and then they do some not-so-nice things to minorities, but other than that, hey they're good stand-up family guys and members of society. Now, those who would be screaming about something like this and threatening boycotts against anyone who would publish or broadcast such a vile work wonder why others have a problem with another work that mocks and/or blasphemes things that are held as sacred by millions of people.

Maybe there ARE some lines that just don't need to be crossed.

Go figure.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 08-28-2008 at 10:30 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Maybe there ARE some lines that just don't need to be crossed.

Or, maybe not!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I guess even HBO isn't safe from God-botherers.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, it looks like we may see Preacher after all. It wont be on HBO, but it will be on the big screen and with some real talent behind it...

Sam Mendes to direct 'Preacher' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Sam Mendes to direct 'Preacher'

Columbia adapting supernatural graphic novel

By TATIANA SIEGEL

Sam Mendes will direct a bigscreen adaptation of the supernatural graphic novel "Preacher" for Columbia Pictures.

Created by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon, graphic novel focuses on the preacher of a Texas town, who is struggling to get by and is driven only by his strong moral sense. When the city is decimated by an otherworldly force, he embarks on a journey across the country to take on the evil.

Supernatural project is a departure for Mendes, who is best known for tackling suburban angst in such films as "American Beauty" and the upcoming Leonardo DiCaprio-Kate Winslet starrer "Revolutionary Road."
But Mendes isn’t new to the world of comicbooks: His drama "Road to Perdition" was also adapted from a graphic novel.

Neal Moritz ("I Am Legend") is producing through his Sony-based Original Film banner alongside Kickstart Prods.’ Jason Netter ("Wanted"). Ken Levin and Ori Marmur exec produce.

Columbia is also developing another Ennis comicbook, "The Boys," which Moritz and Netter are producing together.
The 75-issue "Preacher" series, which ran from 1995-2000, has been lauded with numerous kudos, including four Eisner Awards.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-30-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

"adaptation" = neutered
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
"adaptation" = neutered

Well, the series was 75 issues long.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-30-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just started reading this series last weekend. I'm currently midway through the 2nd trade, and I have to say it has been quite the ride so far. Some of the over-the-top vulgarity seems unnecessary, but I can look past it because the story and writing is otherwise top notch.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I just started reading this series last weekend. I'm currently midway through the 2nd trade, and I have to say it has been quite the ride so far. Some of the over-the-top vulgarity seems unnecessary, but I can look past it because the story and writing is otherwise top notch.

It's good read. I enjoyed it well enough. It tends to meander a bit in the middle and lose its sense of direction, but it picks up. There's a lot of over-the-top vulgarity throughout. Most of it is completely unnecessary, but that's Garth Ennis for you.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's good read. I enjoyed it well enough. It tends to meander a bit in the middle and lose its sense of direction, but it picks up. There's a lot of over-the-top vulgarity throughout. Most of it is completely unnecessary, but that's Garth Ennis for you.

It's funny, I might normally have been off-put enough by all the vulgarity to stop reading after the first trade, but after spending the last three months trying to force my way through Chuck Pahlanuik's "Haunted" the Ennis stuff seems remarkably tame
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
path12
Coordinator

Pahlanuik tends to make damn near everything else seem sorta tame I've found.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Pahlanuik tends to make damn near everything else seem sorta tame I've found.

I've seen Fight Club, but "Haunted" is the first novel of his that I've read. Reading each chapter is like how I imagine it would feel to compete in an eating contest: a fascinating test of endurance that makes me sicker by the minute.

While I intend to finish the thing because some part of me feels the need to see where it all ends up, I can't say I'll ever be tempted to pick up another one of his books.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I've seen Fight Club, but "Haunted" is the first novel of his that I've read. Reading each chapter is like how I imagine it would feel to compete in an eating contest: a fascinating test of endurance that makes me sicker by the minute.

While I intend to finish the thing because some part of me feels the need to see where it all ends up, I can't say I'll ever be tempted to pick up another one of his books.

Is this the book where there's that story about the dude in the pool who gets a little too close to the drain at the bottom and isn't wearing any swimming trunks?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

Then for God's sakes never pick up "Choke".
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is this the book where there's that story about the dude in the pool who gets a little too close to the drain at the bottom and isn't wearing any swimming trunks?

Yes, that is the one. It is 20+ short stories of never ending depravity, tied together with a semi-intriguing plot. I'm actually getting tempted to just skip all of the independent stories and only read the parts that advance the plot.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #23
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wow, to think that something could be more revolting is almost revolting. I will take heed to your warning.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Buddy at work has recommended this one to me and the movie (I thought) was pretty good. Was planning on reading it sometime over the winter, but now, hrmm.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #25
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I read Survivor. It was... fine.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yes, that is the one. It is 20+ short stories of never ending depravity, tied together with a semi-intriguing plot. I'm actually getting tempted to just skip all of the independent stories and only read the parts that advance the plot.

Yeah.... Uh, no. That story tormented me for a long, long time...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Survivor is being made into a movie. So is one of his others, Invisibile Monsters perhaps?

Haunted was awesome. The sister swimming in the pool and getting pregnant. Killer.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Haunted was awesome. The sister swimming in the pool and getting pregnant. Killer.

Yuck, the whole thing just makes me sick. I wish I hadn't mentioned it. Lets go back to talking about Preacher