Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Halladay wins 15th Straight!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...s_bluejays_ap/

WOW! Now I'm pissed I didn't take him on my fantasy team .

The man is now 15-2 for the year with a 3.29 ERA. Can you say Cy Young?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

All TOronto fans can thank me. He started this streak the day after I traded him in a deal for Pedro in my fantasy league...

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:30 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think they'll just point to you as ANOTHER guy who didn't have faith in him .
Old 07-27-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
tucker342
Pro Starter

Why did I pick Maddox instead of him in my fantasy draft?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, at least Maddux has more points than Randy Johnson at this point .
Old 07-28-2003, 06:01 AM   #6
Blackadar
Retired

It's funny, but Haliday turned out to be my staff Ace in OOTP4 a couple of years ago. Won 20 games for about 3 straight years and finished his career with over 200 wins.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:15 AM   #7
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
Why did I pick Maddox instead of him in my fantasy draft?

Because it was a football draft?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 AM   #8
andy m
High School Varsity

Re: Halladay wins 15th Straight!

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
[url]The man is now 15-2 for the year with a 3.29 ERA. Can you say Cy Young?

not if the award was made today. loaiza has a 2.19 ERA.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
Blade
College Prospect

Of course, Loaiza waited until he got away from the Jays before pulling this season out of his ass...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:36 AM   #10
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah and to think that I traded him to MK when he was 0-2 for Shawn Green earlier in the season.

Wow!! I am happy for him, he is a good pitcher, especially for MK now. I am still waiting for Shawn Green to live up to his end of the bargain now.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #11
bbor
Pro Starter

Loiza will blow up soon.....Halluiday has been nuts out so far this season.

Riicardi was on the radio yesterday saying that teams were actually phoning to see if he is available.....uhhhh....Must have been Bowden last act before he got canned)

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #12
Travis
Pro Rookie

I think, right now (and hopefully once they ink Delgado long term, hey, it could happen...), the trio of Wells, Delgado and Halladay match up pretty well against any other team's top 3 in baseball.

Of course that doesn't matter for crap until we get a bullpen, but hey, we can drive in runs and win every 5th start.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:05 PM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
I think, right now (and hopefully once they ink Delgado long term, hey, it could happen...), the trio of Wells, Delgado and Halladay match up pretty well against any other team's top 3 in baseball.

Of course that doesn't matter for crap until we get a bullpen, but hey, we can drive in runs and win every 5th start.

Nomar, Pedro and Manny show that a top three isnt all that its cracked up to be
Old 07-28-2003, 12:12 PM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Were it not for Lidle's bitching that would be every 4th start....
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:32 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T
Nomar, Pedro and Manny show that a top three isnt all that its cracked up to be

Well, between the two of them, you have 2 of the top offensive teams in the Majors, yet both teams with bullpen woes. At least Boston did something and picked up (hopefully) a closer, I'm still waiting for Politte to screw up some more games.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:33 PM   #16
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Were it not for Lidle's bitching that would be every 4th start....

Or Escobar's apparent inability to harness what everybody keeps saying is great natural ability and some of the 'nastiest' stuff the announcer's keep saying they hear the players say.

To be honest, I quite like our rotation (even Hendrickson has some ability, another consistency problem), it's our BP that is just brutal and really took us out of the race.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

To be honest, I quite like our rotation (even Hendrickson has some ability, another consistency problem), it's our BP that is just brutal and really took us out of the race.

I don't know that the Blue Jays bullpen is much worse than the Yankees or Red Sox bullpens are.. For most of the season, I would consider the Jays pen to be a tad better. I also think the Blue Jays hitting has been outstanding this year. I think the place they fall short behind the Yanks and Sox are primarily starting pitching. Halladay stacks up against anyone the other two teams brings in there, but they lack the guys on the back end of the rotation to be reliable.

If the Jays were to add a real strong #2 guy and a solid #4 guy, I would encourage Red Sox fans and Yankees fans to be really afraid of them.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:09 PM   #18
Travis
Pro Rookie

See, this is where I disagree. Had we started Escobar in the rotation (and had he pitched all year in the rotation the way he has since he's gone there) we'd have a solid 1-2 punch. His ERA has dropped from around 6 when he was in the pen, to just over 4 right now, so he's been throwing well. Lidle is good enough to be a good/decent #3 guy and Hendrickson is good enough to be our #4. Of course, I wouldn't be against adding a better #2 guy and knocking the rest of them down a peg, but when you're big duo out of the pen is Acevedo (7.00 ERA) and Politte (6.29 ERA)......

I mean, Politte has 11 saves, nobody else on the team above 4 (and that's Escobar). We have 20 saves as a team (3rd last in the majors) in 40 opportunities. 25 of our losses this year are attributed to the pen, so that's half of our losses this season. Only Lopez and Kershner have an ERA under 4.40 with more than 20 IP out of the pen.

Yeah, a #2 would be nice, and though Lopez and Kershner work well for those intermediate innings, we need a combo for the 8th/9th that'll make it a little easier to take Halladay out after 7 instead of watching him cringe in the dugout while the pen makes a sure win an adventure.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #19
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't understand why everybody is so shocked at this guy's performance. I mean, for the past 1.5 years coming into this season, he's been very solid. Sure, he had a season to forget in 2000 (although how one wins 4 games while posting a 10.64 ERA is beyond me...), but he seems to have put it together. He won 19 games last year, so it's not like he should be a surprise.

I don't know if you can predict W/L success with a team like the Blue Jays, but another season like last year was what I figured.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:53 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but 15 straight is another thing entirely .

It's like having a .340 hitter the year before go on a 45 game hitting streak or something. Still surprising .