Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Leaving New England

As can be seen from the other thread, the frustration level is outstripping the fun level, and that's not fair to the league or to me. I'll keep running the team until someone is either ready to take over a cap-strapped team almost out of cap hell, or if necessary into next season when they aren't quite as cap-strapped since I got them into this mess.

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Sef0r
n00b

Don't leave. These issues with contracts and what not is not worth giving up a rebuilding process your team is going through.

Trust me, once teams get out of cap hell next season people will have the opportunity to offer contracts during the 1st stage of FA. I myself do not use FA very much at all, I prefer to build through the draft.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Don't want to see you go, Greg. I'd offer to cut the player in question to keep you in the league, as I truly don't need him, but I suspect that would be just treating one manifestation of a much more broad issue here.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Shard77
Mascot

I'd second and third those sentiments. A big reason I joined this league was to test my skills against some of the better GM's in MP and I'd certainly put you in that class.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

Greg, I'd really like to see you stick around. Plus, I don't want to have to find a new owner right now, I think I just got Buffalo filled!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Don't want to see you go, Greg. I'd offer to cut the player in question to keep you in the league, as I truly don't need him, but I suspect that would be just treating one manifestation of a much more broad issue here.

That's correct.

People who don't follow WOOF don't know a lot of the history, but frankly I've nearly given up FOF multiplayer every 6 months since 2k7 was released. Lots of things about the game frustrate me, and it's a testament to the nuggets of goodness that I never did quite give up. But one reason I never got into a 2k4 league was all the rules most leagues have, and I got into WOOF because it wasn't going to have many rules because we figured we'd have a good set of owners who didn't need much policing, and just wrote a general "don't exploit the game" clause (I think borrowed from IHOF):

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOF Constitution
1. Any action that can be interpreted as an attempt to exploit a loophole in the game's design is subject to review by League Administration. Such an action could be punishable by league mandated cuts, loss of draft picks and/or additional penalties, up to and including expulsion from the league.

Unfortunately as people have explored FOF, "exploiting" has become such a broad subjective brush that this no longer has any meaning. Instead people have pushed for very specific rules to nudge FA into something the community can handle better than FOF's base algorithms, while playing with an "anything goes" mentality for the rest of the FOF weaknesses, as that's what it has taken to make the game fun.

This means the leagues have evolved in a direction I don't like, as I'd rather just play FOF as-is, with people either not taking advantage of the gaping holes in how players evaluate contract offers (the original hope for WOOF), or letting anything go, while the MP league trend is to tweak FOF to their liking by outlawing the specific contract anomalies they don't like. And each league is tweaking it a bit differently.

So for the moment I'll stick with one league and one set of rules, although I'm not sure how much longer that will last either. It's just not worth it for me or for the others in the league to keep debating or arguing the points. I've got other games to play, an OOTP and an FBCB league to play in, and code to write for fun.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Tasan
College Starter

Greg, could you at least hang around through the draft? I haven't had time to post up new openings yet. I've got one guy on board to run Buffalo, but he came on before you spoke up.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'll keep running the team until someone is either ready to take over a cap-strapped team almost out of cap hell, or if necessary into next season when they aren't quite as cap-strapped since I got them into this mess.

I put this team in a bad cap spot, I'll stick around until someone is desperate enough to take it as-is, or I get it out of cap hell.