Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
TroyF
Coordinator

Another dope: Drew Henson's agent

This from ESPN: NEW YORK -- When the New York Yankees traded for third baseman Aaron Boone on Thursday, Drew Henson's baseball and football futures were immediately up for debate.

Hensen, a former college quarterback at Michigan and a sixth-round draft pick of the Houston Texans in April, is struggling for the Yankees' Triple-A team in Columbus, hitting just .227 with 12 homers. The Yankees have been waiting for Henson to emerge, but may have run out of patience with the Boone deal.

"Drew Henson hasn't developed to the point where he is in consideration for the major-league side," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told the New York Post. "By this move, we recognize there is a position of need for the organization and we can improve upon it now. The move for Aaron Boone speaks volumes as to where Drew Henson is in terms of his development at this time."

But that doesn't mean Henson is headed for the NFL. He signed a six-year, $17 million contract with the Yankees in March 2001, and says he's not ready to give up on baseball.

"There are only so many things I can do," Henson said. "It doesn't change a lot for me regardless of whom they get to play third base."

Henson's agent, Casey Close, told the New York Times he expects Henson to be traded, but to remain in baseball.

"He's a guy they're still paying $12 million to and wants to continue playing baseball," Close said. "You'd think they would want to move him, rather than keep sending him to Columbus every year."

His baseball deal, as ESPN.com has reported, includes base salaries of $2 million (in 2003), $2.2 million (2004), $3.8 million (2005) and $6 million (2006).

The Yankees "still owe Drew a lot of money," one of Henson's agents, Ken Kremer, of IMG Football, told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli in early July. "It would be tough, for a lot of reasons like the rookie pool, for the Texans to compete with that. But the bottom line is that Drew really wants to play baseball."

Houston has made no secret of it's desire to obtain Henson, but negotiations have been limited.

----------------------------------------------

I highlighted the strange comment in bold. Exactly where in the hell do you think the Yankees would send him to? How many organizations are going to fork over 12 million dollars for a 3rd baseman who can't even hit Triple A pitching, much less major league pitching? There's a reason they keep sending the guy to Columbus every year dumb ass.

Memo to Drew: You have two choices. Either get your batting average over .250 and your on base percentage over .300 and start looking like an even marginal prospect, or negotiate a buyout with the Yankees and turn your attention to football. The best chance you have of playing a game in Yankee stadium is the celebrity softball tournament when they host the all-star game.

TroyF

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Why not enjoy playing baseball for the heck of it, collect the cash, then decide whether he still wants to play football down the road? Assuming he invests wisely, $17 Million will go a long way, even if the football thing doesn't pan out. Some people just prefer one sport over the other. And as much money as he's guaranteed, he can afford to stick with his favorite sport and abandon football altogether, or stick it on the backburner until he's collected the $$$.

What a position to be in.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
clintl
College Starter

I'd continue playing AAA baseball for that kind of money and play out the contract if I liked playing baseball better than football.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Drew Henson is someone I respect a lot. As a die hard Michigan fan, seeing him leave was rough, but I always respected his decesion. If baseball is his passion, then keep going, but I think you need to give football a shot.

It's my opinion that the Texan's best QB is playing minor leauge baseball right now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I think that leaving baseball would be to big of a risk for Henson. he has been out of the game for several years, and for that reason would not be able to recieve much of a contract compared to the millions that he is still owed by the Yankies. If he just keeps playing baseball, and invest that money wisly he would never have to work another day in his life. Why risk that to play a game that he doesn't enjoy as much?
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Re: Another dope: Drew Henson's agent

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
This from ESPN:

Houston has made no secret of it's desire to obtain Henson, but negotiations have been limited.

Errant Spelling and Punctuation Noted
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:31 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Re: Another dope: Drew Henson's agent

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Memo to Drew: You have two choices. Either get your batting average over .250 and your on base percentage over .300 and start looking like an even marginal prospect, or negotiate a buyout with the Yankees and turn your attention to football. The best chance you have of playing a game in Yankee stadium is the celebrity softball tournament when they host the all-star game.

As others have pointed out, the seeming third choice is to keep playing in Columbus or wherever they send him, play to the extent of his seemingly limited ability, and keep cashing his guaranteed paychecks. Not such a bad gig.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My goal in life was to find some activity that someone would want to pay me quite handsomely to do, before I even did it or did it well. I failed, but Drew Henson succeeded. Good for him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:06 PM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think if he didn't strongly favor baseball over football he would never have left Michigan; he was on his way to having one hell of a follow up season for the Wolverines and would have gone in the first round of the draft, probably making more cash than he did in baseball. I can't fault him if he wants to continue on that path, but, realistically, if he wants a solid future in sports, he needs to go to football before the window closes.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:17 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

What a country. Make $12 mil without ever leaving the minors. Does my heart good to see George Steinbrenner's hard earned $$ wasted so.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Didn't he at one point say he'd only play for the Yankees? Now he wants to be traded?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think Troy was more concerned with the stupidity of the agent pointing out that his client is basically a very highly paid player that can't make it out of the minors. That's not exactly a good advertisement for other teams that might make a deal for him.

Personally, I would love to be in the position to play minor league ball for 12 million dollars. Nothing quite like being retired by the time you're 25, a feeling that I wish I knew.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:30 PM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

Re: Re: Another dope: Drew Henson's agent

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Errant Spelling and Punctuation Noted

I cut and pasted that directly from ESPN. I make those type of errors often. You'd think the guys getting paid to do it would get it right.

TroyF
Old 08-01-2003, 03:36 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

I guess this is where I'm just a different kind of person. I want to succeed in what I do, not just make money at it. If he's invested wisely, he already has enough that he never has to work again. I'd imagine the Yankees would buy out the final years of his deal for 5-8 million dollars beyond what he's already received.

I guess if he wants to continue to be a failure at what he does he has the cash to do it. Lord knows they can't cut him. Good money if you can get it I guess.

TroyF
Old 08-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #15
ctmason
High School JV

Because he hasn't lived up to his hype (which wasn't of his doing) and has at the very least made it to AAA baseball (something the majority of minor leaguers never do) you would consider him a failure?

I think you're being a little bit hard on him if you think he's HAPPY that he hasn't developed into a major league player. He's said no such thing.

Talk about putting words into someone's mouth.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmason
Because he hasn't lived up to his hype (which wasn't of his doing) and has at the very least made it to AAA baseball (something the majority of minor leaguers never do) you would consider him a failure?

I think you're being a little bit hard on him if you think he's HAPPY that he hasn't developed into a major league player. He's said no such thing.

Talk about putting words into someone's mouth.

First off, lets get rid of the "you most guys don't make it to AAA" right now. I realize that. His own stated goal was to be starting at 3B for the Yankees by the time his contract was up. He won't even be close. That's failure.

Second, I don't think he's happy being in this position. The problem is he's very unlikely to be able to do anything about it. This isn't some rookie we are talking about. He's accumulated over 1300 minor league at bats before this season. There isn't a single facet of his game that is even close to major league ready. His defense is horrible, his strike zone judgement is poor, and while possessing power, he hits about one long ball every 30 trips to the plate. The odds are 99/100 that he'll never make it to the major leagues as even a bench player.

Thankfully, EaglesFan got the main point of my post anyway. Maybe I shouldn't have added my little opinion at the end (not that I'd change it if I had it to do over) The point was the agent crying about the Yankees not doing anything with the guy. You can almost read his agents comments as "they are so mistreating Drew, he should be playing major league ball now"

Drew couldn't crack the Devil Ray's as their 25th active roster slot now, much less start on any team. Considering he's still owed as much money as some real all-stars, I don't think Drew has a lot of bargaining power or choice in the matter.

TroyF

Last edited by TroyF : 08-01-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:24 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Drew Henson is someone I respect a lot. As a die hard Michigan fan, seeing him leave was rough, but I always respected his decesion. If baseball is his passion, then keep going, but I think you need to give football a shot.

It's my opinion that the Texan's best QB is playing minor leauge baseball right now.

I beg to differ. Can't say I'm thrilled about last year for Carr. On the other hand, he can still lace up his shoes and that's a suprise, in and of himself. He's going to be pretty good and I'd rather they invest their time and cap space there rather than go after a guy who hasn't thrown a football competitively in 2 years. I don't care what kind of a natural talent he is.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:50 PM   #18
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Given that Henson made Lloyd Carr (an entirely different make and model than David) promise that he would not recruit another quarterback that year and the following year, yes, I thought he was an ass for leaving Michigan early.

He didn't live up to the committment he made. I'm not surprised that his massive talent has not panned out in baseball.

That aside, turning down $12 million just because you want to be a professional football player rather than a professional baseball player? Not a wise move.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Jim,

Say he got the Yankees to buy out the rest of the deal at 6 million or so. That gives him 11 million bucks earned playing baseball. His next baseball contract? 30K a year. If he's not cut outright.

Football? His first deal will be minimal because of the rookie contracts. His second deal? Well, Chad Hutchinson received a 3.1 million dollar signing bonus despite never playing an NFL game.

Earnings potential wise, I think he should strike the NFL iron while it's hot. I don't see any indication he'll ever make another dime in baseball beyond his current contract. Assuming he could negotiate the buyout, he'd be taking a pretty slight gamble overall. Did you have 11 million in the bank when you gave up your day job to design games?

TroyF
Old 08-01-2003, 06:46 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, if he can get a buyout, I think he's gotta go for the NFL. That's where he can actually play with the big boys. Unfortunetly Houston picked him, which, as it turns out, has a pretty decent QB starting for them. Then again, as much as Carr has been getting hit, he might not even physically exist in three years .
Old 08-01-2003, 07:35 PM   #21
sony
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah, if he can get a buyout, I think he's gotta go for the NFL. That's where he can actually play with the big boys. Unfortunetly Houston picked him, which, as it turns out, has a pretty decent QB starting for them. Then again, as much as Carr has been getting hit, he might not even physically exist in three years .
If I remember correctly - going back to this years NFL draft, there was some sort of stipulations when the Texans drafted Henson.

When Houston drafted Drew, they didn't expect him to come and play for the Texans. They just wanted his rights incase he in fact 'does' come back - then they could trade his rights to another team.

The Texans hold that right all the way up until next years draft.
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:24 PM   #22
ctmason
High School JV

But Troy, the first thing you said was about you being a "different kind of person," and wanting to succeed in what you did, not just make money.

My point is, you're putting words into the guy's mouth here, painting a picture that may not be true. Okay, he hasn't lived up to what he wanted, you can label him a failure if you want to. But why do you think he keeps coming back? If it really WERE about the money, wouldn't he have left now to the big bucks (and possibly BIGGER bucks) of football? Given what you said, his number may be up in a few more years, no more money. Couldn't he possibly have a longer and more lucrative career in football?

Listen I'm not trying to stand up for the guy, he may be a prick for all I know (or care). I just hate to see people crucified because of some dumbass statement their agent makes. Maybe I'm getting soft, I guess so.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:25 PM   #23
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by sony
If I remember correctly - going back to this years NFL draft, there was some sort of stipulations when the Texans drafted Henson.

When Houston drafted Drew, they didn't expect him to come and play for the Texans. They just wanted his rights incase he in fact 'does' come back - then they could trade his rights to another team.

The Texans hold that right all the way up until next years draft.

And some team would probably give a good pick or two to give him a shot.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

CT,

He has a right to do whatever the hell he pleases. I've never said otherwise. I just don't like EITHER option for him staying. He wants to go to the park the next 4 years, hit .220 and be the worst defensive fielder in AAA, more power to him.

What I'm saying is that history doesn't really show that a guy with his amount of time in the minors will every amount to anything. Unlike most guys in the minors, he has an out that he can take. A relatively safe out assuming he could get a buyout of his deal. (and if you're the Yankees, why wouldn't you do it? Pay a scrub 12 million over the next few years or give him 6-8 and rid yourself of the guy?)

Maybe he loves going to the park so much that nothing else matters. Maybe he thinks he can turn it around. (like I feel about my horrific golf game) I'm not inside his head and don't claim to be. Good luck to Drew no matter what he decides. I would expect the Yankees will demote him to AA if he's still there at the beginning of next season. (even a marginal prospect will be better for them at Columbus, this guy is YEARS away from being a scrub) We'll see mare about what thought process is running through his head when/if that happens.

TroyF