Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #51
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That being said, I understand your frustration and I can sympathize in a lot of ways. I'm just saying it's a business and you have to look at it as a business decision.

We all understand this on some level - the league is in the business of making money. It's why they exist. No one debates this.

My point is that when you can see the strings on the puppets so clearly, you lose any illusion that these games matter. That it's about competition, that your local team actually represents your local area, that the league cares about integrity of the sort of mythology of 'football' or sport.

I think a lot of the most passionate fans are the ones who lose heart and eventually disappear when it feels like the game is continuously gutted in the name of a few more dollars to add to their already massive incomes.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #52
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
In my world, yes, he would have to wear a different jersey. Direct snaps to other players would not grant them QB rights. There would be 1 protected player, noted by his special jersey. Direct snaps to an RB/WR/whatever would make them fair game for anything a usual guy is, even if they hang out in the pocket and pass.

I can see it happening, if only becaue of the merchandise possibilities
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #53
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We all understand this on some level - the league is in the business of making money. It's why they exist. No one debates this.

My point is that when you can see the strings on the puppets so clearly, you lose any illusion that these games matter. That it's about competition, that your local team actually represents your local area, that the league cares about integrity of the sort of mythology of 'football' or sport.

I think a lot of the most passionate fans are the ones who lose heart and eventually disappear when it feels like the game is continuously gutted in the name of a few more dollars to add to their already massive incomes.

and yet the league keeps doing alright. it's a shame for the passionate fans though, i agree.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #54
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
In my world, yes, he would have to wear a different jersey. Direct snaps to other players would not grant them QB rights. There would be 1 protected player, noted by his special jersey. Direct snaps to an RB/WR/whatever would make them fair game for anything a usual guy is, even if they hang out in the pocket and pass.

So what prevents a team from listing all of their backs as QB's? Then they could take direct snaps and have that advantage.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So what prevents a team from listing all of their backs as QB's? Then they could take direct snaps and have that advantage.

1 on the field at a time and must have 1 in on every play.

only applies when the player is "in the pocket" and with the ball un-tucked?

there are ways you cam make rules to prevent that kind of abuse

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-25-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #56
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I think you would have to say the QB can't cross the line of scrimmage with the ball, if he's going to be untouchable.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #57
Poli
FOFC Survivor

New rule proposal: The defense can no longer cross the line of scrimmage. Upon snapping the ball, the offense has 5 seconds to run or throw the ball past the line of scrimmage or lose a down.

Nobody gets hurt that way...at least not on a pass.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I think you would have to say the QB can't cross the line of scrimmage with the ball, if he's going to be untouchable.

which removes your whole "running qb" thing, so that wouldn't fly. and you don't want "until he crosses the line of scrimmage" as a rule, so that's why i sort of said "if he's in the pocket without the ball tucked"

i dunno. but i'm sure there's a way to word it
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #59
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Brady rules makes for a less interesting game of football. If Brady injuries have become common, there are two options to reduce them. 1) make the QB less touchable, or 2) make the QB more mobile. To launch a 50-yard bomb, you have to have a QB be pretty exposed and vulnerable to a hit. If you don't give them special protection, you encourage more movement and quick action. Sadly the NFL is more interested in big-play excitement than in a fluid game.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #60
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
and just what...have each team start at the 20? or the 15?

I would imagine start at the 20.

I'm not necessarily advocating this change, but I can easily see it happening. And, quite honestly, I can see why they want to do something about devastating spinal injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #61
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Draft order changing for the 2010 draft as well. Now the wildcard teams that make a deep run will be drafting later than they have been: NFL owners pass change on playoff teams draft order - ESPN

Last edited by gstelmack : 03-25-2009 at 02:24 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #62
gstelmack
Pro Starter

They are also apparently getting rid of the re-kick when an onside kick goes out of bounds according to that article.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #63
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I would imagine start at the 20.

I'm not necessarily advocating this change, but I can easily see it happening. And, quite honestly, I can see why they want to do something about devastating spinal injuries.

oh i agree. i just wanted to open the can of worms of "what would an appropriate starting position be?"
Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
which removes your whole "running qb" thing, so that wouldn't fly.

Maybe not. Let's see here, poster child QB's are what matter, screw the competition or the very nature of the game.
-- Brady, not known for his running. Okay so far.
-- Manning, not known for his running. Still okay.

Not sure there's anybody else at QB that really gets close to the same echelon but just in case, Brees & Rivers aren't really runners so no real harm there either.

Plus it makes Michael Vick worthless to any team, so it has that going for it too.

I'm not seeing a big problem here. Just establish a rule that says they can't run past the line of scrimmage if they drop back more than a couple of yards or something to cover the wildcat formation guys and I think we're on to something here. Or at least on to something that I think makes as much sense as what they've come up with.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
oh i agree. i just wanted to open the can of worms of "what would an appropriate starting position be?"

Wouldn't it likely be based in some way on the current average starting position (or median starting position)?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #66
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Love how Deadspin puts the "Brady rule":

Nfl: NFL Can't Stop Tinkering With The Game

Quote:
In order to insure that never happens again, evil defensive lineman who have been chopped block to the ground will no longer be allowed to lunge at a quarterback's legs, a technique sometimes referred to as "tackling."
Old 03-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #67
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Slightly related note: cheapest seat for the Jets in the new stadium next year is $95.

At least they don't have a $1000 PSL for the cheapest seat, like the Giants.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #68
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
They are also apparently getting rid of the re-kick when an onside kick goes out of bounds according to that article.

I thought this rule was changed years ago... I can't believe it was still alive.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #69
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

How would that effect the Wildcat? How do you determine who the quarterback is? Do they wear special jerseys? Do you go by jersey number? Is it who the ball was snapped to?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
How would that effect the Wildcat? How do you determine who the quarterback is? Do they wear special jerseys? Do you go by jersey number? Is it who the ball was snapped to?

Not sure why they would have to change the definition of the quarterback. The QB would be the player that took the snap from center. If a RB takes a snap from center and drops back or rolls out (but stays within the tackle box), he should get the same protections as a QB would. He would be just as vulnerable/defenseless. In the same way, a QB is treated like a RB or receiver once they go beyond the line of scrimmage.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #71
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not sure why they would have to change the definition of the quarterback. The QB would be the player that took the snap from center. If a RB takes a snap from center and drops back or rolls out (but stays within the tackle box), he should get the same protections as a QB would. He would be just as vulnerable/defenseless. In the same way, a QB is treated like a RB or receiver once they go beyond the line of scrimmage.

I was responding to the message I quoted about the quarterback not being allowed to run past the line of scrimmage.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #72
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
It is recommended that all players wear hip pads, thigh pads, and knee pads which reasonably avoid the risk of injury. Unless otherwise provided by individual team policy, it is the players’ responsibility and decision whether to follow this recommendation and use such pads. If worn, all three forms of pads listed above must be covered by the outer uniform. Basketball-type knee pads are permitted but must also be covered by the outer uniform.
Interesting rule here. If safety is such a concern, why not make the players wear all pads?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #73
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wouldn't it likely be based in some way on the current average starting position (or median starting position)?

i see the 20 or what Jon mentions here both as viable options. I wasn't really worried about the details of it to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #74
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I was searching the internets to see if there was a rule that only the QB could receive the playcalls via the radio (and green stickered helmet), but I couldn't find that out. I would assume the rule states that only one player can receive the call and not specifically call out the QB.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote