Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
ctmason
High School JV

NFL: Panthers at Redskins

Where my Panthers fans at?

You can ignore scores in the Preseason (and I usually do), but the thing that struck me most about this game was Stephen Davis. Good to see him at 100%.

What a pick up for the Panthers, Davis is going to see a LOT of work this season, and I think that suits him very well. I liken it to Ricky Williams and the Dolphins last year...run him and run him and run him til' he drops...then run him some more.

As far as question marks, we still just don't have the speed at WR, nor do we seem to have the quarterback question completely solved. Fox seems to want to go with Peete (for now), and that is probably the best decision.

If that's the route they're going to take, then Rodney Peete is going to have to have the best year of his career for us to make the playoff's, and I just don't see that happening.

I'm eager to see how Delhomme, Fasani and Weinke continue to practice and develop, but from reading Fox's comments, no one is blowing him away in practice with the ability to lead the team. Delhomme was a good pick up, and he's a good player, but he's still mostly unproven, despite his years in the league.

For Washington, it becomes increasingly apparent that Steve Spurrier simply doesn't have the personnel to run the kind of system he wants to run. Too early to chalk up his NFL tenure as a disaster, but it's hard not to notice that what he's trying just is not working.

ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
What a great game to watch last night. As a skin hater/panther lover the game couldn't have been better. PLUS Sonny J. and the local crew called the game, and they are much better than most of the network teams.

Fasani did not have much opportunity to show anything. Wienke was fair. Panthers have a nice RB group with Davis, Hicks, and Foster. I think their passing game might be in trouble. The Panthers may have real issues in their division is they can only deploy a one dimentional O. Damn that is a great Def. division.

It is hard to say from last night's game if the Panthers are getting better, or if the Redskins are in deep trouble. It sure looked like the Skins couldn't so much.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
sjshaw
lolzcat

As a fellow Panthers fan, I was very pleased with how we looked last night. Davis is the first real running back in franchise history, Muhammed didn't drop any passes that I saw (an improvement over last year), and we still have Steve Smith and Deshaun Foster in the wings. I am hoping for a .500 record at least, but it was only the first preseason game.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
BigDPW
College Prospect

I agree they looked great last night... I liked Davis in the 1st quarter and the rest of the RB situation looks solid (esp if Foster returns to form)...

It will be interesting to see who wins the Kicker job between Kasay and Graham...

I also thought that Ricky Manning Jr. looked VERY SOLID for a 3rd or 4th rounder (can't remember which)...

I saw some interesting formations last night that I don't remember seeing last year like the one whre they had a strong pro form with the HB and FB lined up to the strong side in the backfield and then the TE would reset forming a almost T-Formation...

The one thing I wish I would have seen more of was Seidman the rookie TE... He didn't seem to get much PT last night or just didn't do much with it which was surprising considering Walls is gone... I think Jermaine Wiggins will probably loose the 3rd TE spot to Seidman if they let Seidman show what he can do...

I still wish Kevin Dyson had not gotten hurt but our WR core didn't look as bad as I thought it might... With Musin returning to ProBowl or NearProBowl form and Smith making some improvement I think we will be ok with Muhammad, Smith, and Proehl as a top 3... Terrance Wilkins adds alot also but they will probably focus on him getting KR and PR reps in the preseason and not so much him being the 4th WR...

Also I am glad to see they are taking it easy with Jordan Gross (played less than 1 quarter)... He looks to be the real deal and they need to keep him healthy... We have a history of injuries ruining young guys... (Foster, Collins, Peter, Brockermeyer, etc...)

Last edited by BigDPW : 08-10-2003 at 03:38 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
PLUS Sonny J. and the local crew called the game, and they are much better than most of the network teams.

Loved watching the Redskins get taken apart, but you like Sonny J and crew !!! They are biased, frequently make mistakes and normally I have to turn the sound off after the first 10 minutes because the iritate me too much - just like I did last night.

It was fun to watch Rob Johnson running like a headless chicken trying not to get killed by the pass rush......yet another bad Redskins QB to laugh at
Old 08-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

I love Sonny and i love the fact that he is biased even more. He is a lot less bland than the guys who do the regular season games.

As far as Davis goes, he is a stud and was one of the most underated backs in the league when in DC. He should have a good year although teams will start keying on him when the panthers passing attack continues to struggle.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:15 PM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Sonny is pretty decent, but the rest of the crew are horrible.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

The 'Skins defensive front would have made Curtis Enis look good last night...

The Panthers have a good defense, but their offense is going to struggle mightily. Once Davis gets injured and/or starts fumbling regularly things won't be looking so rosey...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote