Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #51
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
You think you're playing the "Jump to conclusions" game, or something?

Nope, I was just asking a question.

SteelerFan448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #52
JeeberD
General Manager

It's already been said, but Shocky is an idjit...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:15 PM   #53
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Bill Parcells is a homo.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #54
JeeberD
General Manager

illinifan's an idjit...

Old 08-09-2003, 02:19 PM   #55
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

JeeberD attacks illinifan personally.
The homo.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #56
JeeberD
General Manager

Shhh, don't give away my secret. You might scare bbor away...

Old 08-09-2003, 03:23 PM   #57
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
SkyDog, I agree with you but I compare to Mr. White's comments to Rocker's and look who got (still) the worse treatment.
You have GOT to be kidding me!!! Rocker went off on "queers", and White said that homosexual behavior was sinful. BIG difference. Rocker deserved what he got.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-09-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #58
Easy Mac

so calling someone a name is worse than condemning someone to hell?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #59
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Displaying utter hate for a group is worse than say they are sinful, yes.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #60
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelerFan448
Nope, I was just asking a question.

No problem. I'm not even sure why I got bent out of shape about it now.

Last edited by Tekneek : 08-09-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #61
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
so calling someone a name is worse than condemning someone to hell?
Exactly when did White condemn anyone to hell???
Old 08-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #62
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
can you get a certification to condemn people to hell? I would like to do this on the weekends to earn some extra money.

THNX!!!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 04:26 PM   #63
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I wonder what would happen if a white guy got pulled over by a black cop and screamed racial profiling? Think anyone would pay attention?
Old 08-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #64
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
I wonder what would happen if a white guy got pulled over by a black cop and screamed racial profiling? Think anyone would pay attention?

depends on where he gets pulled over. For instance, if the officer pulls him over in the diaper aisle of the babies r us pretty much anything the white guy screams will draw attention. Well, unless people are hiding from the two cars that have burst through the front of the store.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #65
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
You have GOT to be kidding me!!! Rocker went off on "queers", and White said that homosexual behavior was sinful. BIG difference. Rocker deserved what he got.

SD, you know that I know the difference between speaking from the heart on biblical truth (Reggie) and from ones arse on social interaction (Rocker). What I was focusing was the reaction from the media and activists. Here was a blurb on the (delayed) reaction to Reggie's comments

Quote:
During the talk, Reggie forthrightly presented the biblical position on many problems facing our world, including greed, sexual immorality, race relations, and obscene movies and music. In comparing the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement, he said, “Homosexuality is a decision. It’s not a race.” His comments created an uproar.

Not at first, mind you. Members of the legislature flocked around him after the speech, eager to have their photo taken with the sports hero. But once Reggie’s words were reported in the national press, particularly his comments on homosexuality, and once homosexual activists started branding him an “extremist” and “bigot,” some of these same legislators changed their tune and publicly said they were “appalled” or “shocked” at the speech. Worth noting is that the few homosexuals in the legislature were not among those expressing shock, and Reggie says one even defended his right to say what he believed.

It seems that Rocker and Shockley were also branded "extremist" and "bigot" and listeners/readers were "appalled" or "shock", as well all using the word "homophobic".
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #66
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

All I have to say on this subject is:

Would you rather someone call you a 'homo' or a 'tapioca-filled condom with a belt'?

Parcells has been called both. Personally, I'd take the former over the latter.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
It's already been said, but Shocky is an idjit...

I've always liked the term "idjit"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #68
sabotai
General Manager

At least the kid's (apparently) learning:

"I want to apologize to my family, my teammates and the Giants organization," Shockey said in his statement. "I did not intend to disrespect anyone, but I understand that is exactly what I have done with several of my recent comments in the stuff that has come out and continues to come out. Several of my comments have been thoughtless, immature and made with a total disregard for those around me and for any possible consequences. I understand that some of my comments have been irresponsible. I have disrespected myself, my coach, my family and my teammates, and once again, I would like to apologize for that. I spoke with Coach (Jim) Fassel this morning and he made it clear to me that some of my recent comments are completely unacceptable, and I understand where he's coming from. My age is not an excuse and ignorance is not an excuse. My mother taught me better than this, and my recent actions have shown a complete disregard for that upbringing. I am aware of how upset (team owners) Mr. (Wellington) Mara and Mr. (Robert) Tisch are with me for saying some of the stupid things I've said, and I do not blame them. All I can do now is reassure them that I am proud to be a member of this organization, and that I will represent this franchise in that way from here on out. The best thing for me to do right now is keep my mouth shut and focus on winning football games."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #69
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
All I have to say on this subject is:

Would you rather someone call you a 'homo' or a 'tapioca-filled condom with a belt'?

Parcells has been called both. Personally, I'd take the former over the latter.

Where was the press when the tapioca-filled condom people needed defense?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 06:57 PM   #70
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
At least the kid's (apparently) learning:

No, he is reading a statement prepared by a PR person and approved ahead of time by certain activist representatives.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:35 PM   #71
sabotai
General Manager

"No, he is reading a statement prepared by a PR person and approved ahead of time by certain activist representatives."

So what? Show me a sports figure who doesn't. He got up there and read a statement that put all the blame on himself. That's a lot more than what most sports figures do when they screw up.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #72
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
"No, he is reading a statement prepared by a PR person and approved ahead of time by certain activist representatives."

So what? Show me a sports figure who doesn't. He got up there and read a statement that put all the blame on himself. That's a lot more than what most sports figures do when they screw up.

Until the next time.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:38 PM   #73
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
It seems that Rocker and Shockley were also branded "extremist" and "bigot" and listeners/readers were "appalled" or "shock", as well all using the word "homophobic".

I know it was a typo, but let's not give Jeremy Shockey the benefit of even a slip of the tongue placing him alongside William Shockley - who suffered many of the same criticisms, but was at least a very intelligent man (though most would say deeply misguided on such matters). Jeremy Shockey is just a dumb kid - not a bigoted genius.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:38 PM   #74
kcchief19
Pro Starter

A lot of you guys are wanting things both ways. Some of you appear to be defending Shockey, saying he can say whatever he wants to, but then criticize anybody who criticizes Shockey. If Shockey wants to call Parcells a "homo," he should feel free to, but he should realize that there are going to be people who will call him a bigot and and an idiot, and they should be free to do so as well. Defend both or defend neither, but you can defend one and oppose the other.

As for calling someone a "homo" or "faggoty" or the N-bomb or another term, whether it's a reference to gender, race, color or creed, I believe the use of the term is an example of the individual's character. If you use such terms in derision, you are showing a form of bigotry against that person. No one uses the word "homo" in a good way, i.e., "Man, I love that Michael Jordan! He is such as a homo!"

I must confess that I don't understand some of the other arguments here. I'm well aware that a bunch of politicians got their picture taken with Reggie after his speech, but those that weren't shocked at the time probably weren't listening or maybe even agree with them. They expressed their "shock" when the tape hit, which I think lets you know about their character, or lack thereof.

Nonetheless, Reggie did and continues to take heat, although I think less so for his comments on gays and more for this comments on Asians, Hispanics and other minorities. Rocker got what he deserved in my book, as have others of both color and "non-color."

As for Dusty, his comments were ill-informed and scientifically wrong, but I'm not sure you can make a racist comment about yourself. There is no comparison between Shockey and Baker. There is a comparison between Shockey and Rocker, and there is a comparison between Shockey and White, but not in regard to Reggie's comments about gays. The comparison is White's comments about other races.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:05 PM   #75
Buccaneer
Head Coach

QS, I'm going have to learn who William Shockley is/was (not that I would agree with him but in case I have to answer a Jeopardy question - or question a Jeopardy answer?).
Old 08-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #76
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's the guy that helped invent the transistor, IIRC.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #77
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
JeeberD attacks illinifan personally.
The homo.

So has 'homo' now taken the place of 'I hope you get AIDS and die' as they insult that's hip and phat and dope and Poppin' Fresh?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer calling someone a homo is not being homophobic (fear of homosexuals)

Ding Ding Ding.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:21 PM   #79
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
He's the guy that helped invent the transistor, IIRC.

Yes, won a Nobel prize for the effort.

Became pretty famous, or infamous, later in his life when he became the loudest and clearest voice on behalf of what we now might call "Bell Curve thinking" - suggesting that racial difference rendered practically all blacks to be intellectually inferior. He was also a proponent of eugenics, in a variety of ways - probably the least offensive being his siggestion that there ought to be a huge sperm bank from Nobel winners created, so the world could benefit from their wonderful genes. That, to me, is more annoying in a self-aggrandizing sense than anything, but you get the idea-- the man had some pretty outrageous beliefs.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:31 PM   #80
clintl
College Starter

People don't like Shockey much in the first place, because he has a history of being an outspoken asshole. I think that has a lot more to do with it than race. I think if a black athlete who is unpopular (let's say Barry Bonds, for instance) said the same thing, he would get vilified just as much as Shockey and Rocker. Just look at the flak Bonds took simply for suggesting that if he passes Ruth on the all-time HR list, he should be considered a better player. It lacked class, but it is a plausible argument that will be argued over by fans after Bonds retires, and people condemned him for it, despite the fact that it is far less offensive than most of the other examples here.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:29 PM   #81
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
So has 'homo' now taken the place of 'I hope you get AIDS and die' as they insult that's hip and phat and dope and Poppin' Fresh?

No, on the contrary, its a juvenile insult that's been around as long as I can remember. It's what 14 year olds call each other. And by my estimate, that's about the level Shockey is coming from.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #82
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Refresh my memory... was Shockey the guy who last year said there were no gay football players, and that if he discovered he had a gay teammate, he "wouldn't stand for it"?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-10-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #83
sabotai
General Manager

"was Shockey the guy who last year said there were no gay football players, and that if he discovered he had a gay teammate, he "wouldn't stand for it"?"

Yes to the latter part. The wouldn't stand for it (which, in my biased opinion, he was just a young kid trying to make a joke on the Howard Stern show. I don't think he meant it).

But I'm not sure if he said "there are no gay football players". I think that was someone else. But I'm not sure. (I think what he said was there were no gay football players on his team (Miami).)
Old 08-11-2003, 07:20 AM   #84
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
[BBut I'm not sure if he said "there are no gay football players". I think that was someone else. But I'm not sure. (I think what he said was there were no gay football players on his team (Miami).) [/b]

Call this a draw. The whole "I wouldn't stand for it" came in the later part of a response to Howard Stern asking him if there were gay football players. His initial response was, "I hope not." He then explained that he doubted there were any, as it would be so difficult for them to conceal it.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:29 AM   #85
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Call this a draw. The whole "I wouldn't stand for it" came in the later part of a response to Howard Stern asking him if there were gay football players. His initial response was, "I hope not." He then explained that he doubted there were any, as it would be so difficult for them to conceal it.
Yes, from a quick Google search that's essentially how it happened.

My point in bringing this up is to show that the whole "he's not homophobic, he was just using the term as an insult" defense doesn't really work for Shockey. He's already on record making anti-gay remarks. And of course, he apologized last time too and promised never to do it again.

In the grand scheme of things I don't think this whole incident is really a big deal. But I do think he's shown what type of guy he is, and all the apologies to follow will ring pretty hollow.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote