Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #51
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

FOOL Classic Game 3:

Esquivel for Napa Valley (1-0 6.48 ERA this postseason)
vs
Cleveland for Colorado (2-0 5.52 ERA this postseason)

On an aside.. "Cleveland for Colorado" reminds me of the part of Forrest Gump where you had Dallas from Cleveland, Tex from Oklahoma, or whatever it was.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #52
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Despite both pitchers being "shaky" at times, and I am saying that in a nice way, this game ends up a pitching masterpiece.

The first run of the game does not score until the top of the 6th when Joaquin Gomez hits a 441 foot Solo home run to put Napa Valley up 1-0.

Cleveland ends up pitching a complete game 6-hitter, allowing only that one run to score.

The problem for Colorado is that Esquivel is simply unhittable.. and I mean that literally.. Esquivel pitches a complete game 3-hit shutout, striking out 6.

I simply have no idea how Esquivel manages to last only 1/3rd of an inning in his previous game vs Edmonton, then comes out to pitch a game like this. Either way, Napa Valley takes a commanding lead in this series.

Napa Valley 1, Colorado 0

Napa Valley leads the series 3 games to 0.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #53
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday, October 10th, 2029: Esquivel Bewilders Rancheros in Shutout
Carlos Esquivel of the Napa Valley Winemakers shut down the Colorado Rancheros 1-0 on a 3-hitter, holding them scoreless while ringing up 6 strikeouts and allowing 2 walks.

After the game Esquivel said, "Guys have been fouling off a lot of pitches lately and I've been getting into too many deep pitch counts, but I'm pleased with the way things went today. I went right after them and stayed ahead in the count."

Currently Esquivel has a 11-12 won-lost record in 40 starts with a 5.11 ERA. He also has 155 strikeouts in 225.1 innings.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #54
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So long as there are enough stars for one of them to drop to spot #12, I'm good.

Thanks for lookin' out for me, Chief!

Hi everyone, symphony is over and I'm home and catching up. We better have beaten the Hooligans after the above statement, at least.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #55
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

FOOL Classic Game 4:

Martinez pitches for Napa Valley (0-1 3.27 ERA this postseason)
vs
Ohayashi for Colorado (0-1 3.52 ERA this postseason)

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #56
Tasan
College Starter

Yay!

And booooooooo Teach. Let me get one, at least. I can't believe we wasted a great start out of Cleveland, of all people.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #57
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal_GM View Post
Tough Luck Chief. Great season.

Kind of surprised to see Colorado advancing with guys like Ohayashi and Cleveland, but it did get them to the playoffs. Great job Tasan.

I think I'm more surprised than you!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #58
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Napa Valley once again takes the lead with a run scored on a ground out from Velona in the top of the 4th. Napa Valley has not trailed for a single inning yet in the FOOL Classic.

Colorado changes that with one swing in the bottom of the 5th as Salas puts one deep for a 2-run home run and gives the Rancheros the first lead of the series 2-1.

The Winemakers evidently do not enjoy trailing, as the top of the 7th both Gomez and Navarro hit 2-run Home runs and the Winemakers go back on top 5-2.

The Rancheros also hit two home runs in the bottom of the 8th, unfortunately for them both are solo shots, from Masson and O'Bryan. Colorado cuts the lead to just one, but that is all they can muster...

Napa Valley 5, Colorado 4

Napa Valley leads the FOOL Classic 4 games to 0!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #59
Tasan
College Starter

Ugh. We keep wasting all this pitching that's kept us in the game.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

FOOL Classic Game 5:

Lemieux for Napa Valley (1-1 5.00 ERA this postseason)
vs
Ueda for Colorado (1-1 2.70 ERA this postseason)

It has been 15 years since the last team to win the FOOL Classic in a sweep when the Baltimore Charm did it. The Colorado Fans will come to the park however hoping their ace can return to form after a disappointing game one from him. The Rancheros face perhaps the best pitcher in baseball however with elimination on the line.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #61
Tasan
College Starter

Reverse sweep, Reverse sweep!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #62
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

What a game it is.. both starting pitchers are outstanding in this one.

Ueda has run out of gas however and Colorado management makes the decision to lift him for the reliever Luis Rivera.

Ueda went 7 innings, striking out 8 and giving up 0 runs on 5 hits.

Through 7 innings, the game is still tied 0-0...

Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #63
Tasan
College Starter

Rivera has the ability to blow the other guys away. Or walk them all.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #64
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The Winemakers seem happy to watch Ueda leave the game, and Gathee leads off the top of the 8th inning with a solo Home Run to give the Winemakers a 1-0 lead!

Navarro strikes out and Lujan flys out, but Velona gets a 2-out single. He is wiped out when Yi hits into a fielder's choice however and that ends the top of the 8th.

Colorado still can not manage to touch Lemieux in the bottom of the inning, Salas and Cuesta both strike out while Vega flys out and the Rancheros go down 1-2-3 in the 8th.

After 8 innings, Napa Valley leads 1-0, and Colorado has only one more chance to avoid a sweep!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #65
Tasan
College Starter

Top of the order coming up. This should at least be interesting.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #66
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

In the top of the 9th, Rivera wants to keep things close, and he gets Fuentes for out number one. He then gives up a pinch hit single to Heredia, a double to Gomez and a 2-rbi single to Maston.

Gathee is intentionally walked and Manny Martinez comes in to pitch for Colorado, now trailing 3-0.

Groves steps up as a pinch hitter and keeps the inning going with a double, only to watch Lujan intentionally walked to load the bases. Velona steps up to bat... and is hit by a pitch to bring in a run!

Yi steps up next and hits one to the second baseman.. over to short, on to first... a double play to end the top of the ninth! It might be too late however, as Napa Valley now leads 5-0.

Lemieux stays in to pitch the bottom of the 9th..

O'Bryan starts off the 9th with a ground out. Griffith then hits one right at the third baseman, who bobbles the ball! Griffith is safe at first on an error!

The baserunner does not matter to Lemieux a bit however, as he forces Santana to pop up, and then Strikes out Chen to end the game and clinch the championship for Napa Valley!

Lemieux pitches a complete game 5-hit shutout, striking out 7 and Napa Valley wins back to back FOOL Championships!

Napa valley 5, Colorado 0

The Napa Valley Winemakers are the 2029 FOOL Champions!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #67
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Monday, October 1st, 2029
Ann Arbor Winged Lingerines: Signed MR M. López to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $2,395,000.
Tokyo Cyclones: Signed SP B. Morales to a minor league contract extension.
Saturday, September 29th, 2029
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed MR E. Wells to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $6,195,000.
Edmonton Edge: Signed SP B. Edlich to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $5,505,000.
Colorado Rancheros: Signed SP N. Ueda to a 4-year contract extension worth a total of $32,710,000.
Tokyo Cyclones: Signed LF S. Dávila to a minor league contract extension.
Tokyo Cyclones: Signed 3B M. Hunt to a minor league contract extension.
Friday, September 28th, 2029
Colorado Rancheros: Signed SS A. Vega to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $3,915,000.
Thursday, September 27th, 2029
Chico Rebels: Signed free agent 1B C. Trujillo to a 2-year contract worth a total of $640,000.
Baltimore Charm: Signed free agent 1B L. Sowards to a 3-year contract worth a total of $3,435,000.
Ann Arbor Winged Lingerines: Signed free agent 2B J. Díaz to a 3-year contract worth a total of $3,392,500.
Baltimore Charm: Signed free agent SP L. Hernández to a 3-year contract worth a total of $817,500.
Baltimore Charm: Signed free agent C S. Zhen to a minor league contract.
Ann Arbor Winged Lingerines: Signed free agent MR R. Walton to a 2-year contract worth a total of $2,635,000.
Baltimore Charm: Signed SP A. Sánchez to a 5-year contract extension worth a total of $34,862,500.
Baltimore Charm: Signed free agent SP X. Uridge to a 3-year contract worth a total of $2,970,000.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #68
Tasan
College Starter

Ugh...my humble apologies to the rest of the RL for that showing. Congrats Teach, you really put it to me.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #69
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Friday, October 12th, 2029: Lemieux Stops Colorado
The Napa Valley manager told reporters after the game, "When he started out, his command wasn't that good, but he's a tough guy. The more pitches he throws, the better his command is."

He was talking about Renaud Lemieux, who had just hurled a fine 5-hit shutout over the Colorado Rancheros. He had 7 strikeouts and 2 walks in the Napa Valley 5-0 victory.

"An outstanding job," the Colorado manager said. "We couldn't get anything going. Every time we got a hit, he got out of the jam. He pitched a terrific game."

This season Lemieux has compiled a 21-8 record with a 2.64 ERA in 41 starts.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #70
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
In the top of the 9th, Rivera wants to keep things close, and he gets Fuentes for out number one. He then gives up a pinch hit single to Heredia, a double to Gomez and a 2-rbi single to Maston.

Gathee is intentionally walked and Manny Martinez comes in to pitch for Colorado, now trailing 3-0.

Groves steps up as a pinch hitter and keeps the inning going with a double, only to watch Lujan intentionally walked to load the bases. Velona steps up to bat... and is hit by a pitch to bring in a run!

Yi steps up next and hits one to the second baseman.. over to short, on to first... a double play to end the top of the ninth! It might be too late however, as Napa Valley now leads 5-0.

Lemieux stays in to pitch the bottom of the 9th..

O'Bryan starts off the 9th with a ground out. Griffith then hits one right at the third baseman, who bobbles the ball! Griffith is safe at first on an error!

The baserunner does not matter to Lemieux a bit however, as he forces Santana to pop up, and then Strikes out Chen to end the game and clinch the championship for Napa Valley!

Lemieux pitches a complete game 5-hit shutout, striking out 7 and Napa Valley wins back to back FOOL Championships!

Napa valley 5, Colorado 0

The Napa Valley Winemakers are the 2029 FOOL Champions!

That is 8 straight wins for the Winemakers as they cam back from down 3-1 versus me.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #71
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Friday, October 12th, 2029: Winemakers Sweep FOOL Classic
The Napa Valley Winemakers stunned the Colorado Rancheros by sweeping the FOOL Classic 5-0. The Winemakers dumped them 5-0 today at Ballpark of Napa Valley in the deciding game of the series.

This was the 7th time Napa Valley has been the league champions. During the regular season the powerful Winemakers chalked up a 94-68 mark and finished in first place in the Continental League.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #72
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sunday, October 14th, 2029
Hammersmith Hooligans: C M. Rodríguez voids his last optional contract year.

End of season player retirements: (one is kind of funny if you watched which players were signed during the playoffs)

Spoiler

Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #73
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Way to go Teach. Tough luck Tasan.

That's now 6 straight for the CL.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #74
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The new file is up!

HTML will update at some point tonight.

No sim tomorrow as we have an off day to prepare for the draft. Should be a fun one, so make sure to get your draft lists in!

Amateur draft will run Thursday morning 7am ET

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #75
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Sunday, October 14th, 2029
Hammersmith Hooligans: C M. Rodríguez voids his last optional contract year.

End of season player retirements: (one is kind of funny if you watched which players were signed during the playoffs)

Spoiler

AHHHH does that just piss me off
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #76
muns
Pro Starter

Congrats Teach on another big time showing, and for keeping the championship in the better league.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #77
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Wow! That was a great end to an otherwise painful day!

Sorry Eric, I really thought you had me there early on.

Double sorry to Tasan. It was nice to go up against you but I'm pretty sure you're not thinking the same thing!
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #78
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I added the link FRANCHISE HISTORY to the FOOL stickied links thread.

Napa Valley wins their 7th championship in franchise history, giving them sole posession of third place all time, one behind the Baltimore franchise.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #79
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Baltimore Charm: Signed SP A. Sánchez to a 5-year contract extension worth a total of $34,862,500.

Is this the first sign that a few years of lack-luster pitching prospects is starting to effect us? I chased Sanchez quite hard in the offseason as he is a very reliable 3 or 4th starter....But $6.8mil per? Eeeeks....I am glad I failed now.
I know muns knows his stuff, and I am not bashing the signing...Just that this is becoming the going rate for a pitcher of Sanchez's skill level. Today Sanchez may appear to be a #3 starter...by the time his contract is up, he may be considered a staff ace! It may be time to start pinching pennies!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #80
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Is this the first sign that a few years of lack-luster pitching prospects is starting to effect us? I chased Sanchez quite hard in the offseason as he is a very reliable 3 or 4th starter....But $6.8mil per? Eeeeks....I am glad I failed now.
I know muns knows his stuff, and I am not bashing the signing...Just that this is becoming the going rate for a pitcher of Sanchez's skill level. Today Sanchez may appear to be a #3 starter...by the time his contract is up, he may be considered a staff ace! It may be time to start pinching pennies!

To be fair he did make this all star team this year on a team that just pitched him as much as they could, cause my dumbass put it on a 1 man rotation. So to be able to do that the first half of a season to just crushed the second half I think is alright.

But you do have a fantastic point. Pitching is going to even be more of a wanted need for us all. Should be fun to see how it all plays out
Old 07-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #81
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
To be fair he did make this all star team this year on a team that just pitched him as much as they could, cause my dumbass put it on a 1 man rotation. So to be able to do that the first half of a season to just crushed the second half I think is alright.

But you do have a fantastic point. Pitching is going to even be more of a wanted need for us all. Should be fun to see how it all plays out

I agree...it will be fun...I kind of enjoy the talent depth swings!
You have to constantly evaluate players and think ahead. Today's 45, 70, 70 #4 starter could be tomorrows #2 or even ace... you have to consider opening the vaults to keep him....It's the same in FOOL-X
Yesturdays 60contact 60power hitter was a borderline allstar when we started....looking down the pipeline and the 60-60 guys may be fighting for jobs an a season or two. So you have to decide if that 3 time allstar, is really worth the superstar money! Or can he be easily replaced...Much fun ensues!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #82
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

I don't think the Sanchez contract is out of whack at all. There are more accomplished pitchers with better overall deals, but there are also guys that aren't as good as Sanchez that are making more. Imagine what he would have asked for if he waited another season into his arbitration and had a sub 4 ERA and 20 wins.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #83
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

In stark contrast to the seemingly lesser rated pitchers coming through the minors we have two huge bats on the horizon. Cong Che from Baltimore and Tokyo's Dave Juteau look to be sure bets with their recent developmental gains. Should be fun to see if those two reach their peak.

Top Prospects

Last edited by Montreal_GM : 07-29-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Montreal_GM is offline   Reply With Quote