Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Jags to trade Brunell?

If this happens, I'll accept it because this preseason hasn't been good for him. Another thing, cost. If he goes, Jimmy Smith probably goes also. Teams to trade to: GB, Arz, maybe even Sea for Brunell. Smith wide open probably, then maybe not, after his latest episode.

tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:19 AM   #2
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seattle for Brunell? Not any time soon, we've got our 3 QB's for the season after cutting one yesterday. Ditto for GB. Chi, Dallas and Arizona could be potential suitors, though I can't imagine even the Cards going for a Brunell/Emmitt backfield. And realliy, I would assume most teams would rather take a chance on Couch if he's available and the Browns aren't asking much more than Jax would be for Brunell.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:36 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Most of your points I agree with Travis, except for the Couch thing. Not because your value expectations are off, but because I am pretty sure the Browns aren't so ready to deal Couch yet. They have named Holcomb starter for now, but they aren't 100% he will work out either. This might come up after the season if Holcomb does well, but by the time he settles it this season, it will be past the trading deadline.

So figure Couch to remain a Brown until at least the offseason, and that's assuming Holcomb holds onto and keeps the job. Brunell would be a "for this year" kinda guy. I can see Chicago and Dallas doing it, maybe even Washington. Heck, even with Vinny aboard, you have to think the Jets might be interested, too. Or Brunell might fit in as a one-year starter for Baltimore, so that Redman won't be playing and Boller gets a year of seasoning (although Baltimore is an extreme longshot in my mind). I don't see AZ going for him at all.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:39 AM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Jets reportedly already turned down Brunell when Jacksonville approached them.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:40 AM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Nobody will trade for Brunell. He makes 6.5 million this year. Very few teams have that kind of cap space or will clear one for a backup QB.

I still think he gets released (as early as tomorrow)

I expect after he's released, these will be the main teams interested: Cowboys, Jets, Raiders (be a perfect backup to Gannon), Bucs (depending on how they feel about King, I don't think the Super Bowl champs want to head into the season with a rookie as the #2 guy).

They may pull a surprise and not cut him, but why on Earth would you talk trade with the Jets, Ravens and Cowboys in one day if you were set on heading into the season with him as your starting QB?

They should have did the smart thing a long time ago and avoided this entire mess. Cut him before training camp, bring in a 3rd QB type guy, let the kids get the reps and have the vet there just in case. Instead they went into camp with one kid who needs a chance to play so they can find out what they have (Garrard) and a kid who will be ready by next year at the latest (Leftwich)

They can't make up their minds. Are they going to try and contend or are they going to rebuild? This kind of reminds me when I was a basketball player on my SO. high school team. We were horrible, not only compared to our JV and varsity, but compared to a pee wee league team. We started the year off with 13 consecutive losses. Everyone of the losses was by 25 points or more. Our coach had a strict policy of playing EVERYONE, no matter what the situation or score. He came into the locker room after one of our losses and said "Do you guys want to play or do you want to win?"

Everyone was kind of in a stunned silence. We couldn't beat an 6th grade team if our starters played every minute. I stood up and said that I wanted to win, even if it meant I didn't play. Sadly, I couldn't stop laughing while I was saying it and the entire locker room broke up in laughter. (we finished the year 2-18) As a side note, I only played 4 more games after the infamous speech. I dove for a loose ball over the scorers table and hyperextended my knee. I didn't have to worry about playing after that.

The Jags? Do you want to win or do you want to rebuild? Well, after the preseason reports and the brief looks I've had of the team. . . you aren't going to win. That leaves one option.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I could see the Steelers being interested in Brunell, as well. I don't think they are completely sold on Maddox and he likely will want a huge, new contract if he plays reasonably well this season (even though he signed a long term deal prior to last season, for backup money). Cowher and the Steelers have a lot of respect for Brunell and the Mularky likes players that give the team a different look, like a running QB like Brunell.

If he is interested in potentially winning a Super Bowl and then competing for a starting job next season, I could see him signing with Pittsburgh.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:00 AM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

The only reason I mention the possibility of Couch being traded isn't so much because the Browns would be shopping him, but I'm willing to wager a few teams have made an inquiry or two about just what it may take to pry him away from Cleveland after Holcomb got the nod. With that salary, it may not take all that much to talk management into parting with him, never mind the fact that he'll never be the media darling there again. Not unless Holcomb goes down and Couch carries them to the playoffs on his shoulders.

Though really, where's Vince Evans when you need him?

Last edited by Travis : 08-26-2003 at 02:06 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:06 AM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis

Though really, where's Vince Evans when you need him?

He is probably decomposing in the ground somewhere. Didn't he die of old age during his last season with the Raiders?
Old 08-26-2003, 03:18 AM   #9
Travis
Pro Rookie

He's just waiting in the wings, ready to step in when somebody really, and I mean REALLY, needs a QB. I always liked Evans, then again, my favorite QB was Moon back since he played in Edmonton, so I had a soft spot for the geriatric guys still throwing the bombs.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 AM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm sure someone could coax Eric Hipple out of retirement.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:42 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

I bet Jay Schroeder has a couple good years left in him. He's only 62.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:03 AM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steve DeBerg anyone?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Steve DeBerg anyone?

He's at the bar, signing autographs for cops.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:48 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Steve Deberg, what a blast from the past. If there were a spot for a pure backup QB in the All-Time team challenge, he'd have been my selection.

TroyF

Last edited by TroyF : 08-26-2003 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #15
The_herd
College Starter

I wouldn't be shocked if Eric Crouch suddenly felt he could be an NFL QB again and gave the Jets a call.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I wouldn't be shocked if Eric Crouch suddenly felt he could be an NFL QB again and gave the Jets a call.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets recorded that call and gave the tape to Chad Pennington to cheer him up. If they could get Crouch to beg, they'd have the thing running on a loop in the locker room.

TroyF
Old 08-27-2003, 09:10 AM   #17
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The latest on Brunell says that the Redskins are very interested and are attempting to reach an agreement. Do you really think Steve is that interested in getting Brunell, or is this totally the owner?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:17 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

Brunell is still a decent QB and 32 years old isn't that old for a quarterback in the NFL. Assuming the rumors are true and they are considering releasing him, I'd guess you could pick him up for a song. I can't figure out why the Cowboys said no to a trade unless it had something to do with the salary cap. I mean Quincy Carter has to be one of the worse starting QBs to ever get this many chances.

I think it would be a mistake for the Redskins to get him. Ramsey's the future and he needs to start now to get the game experience IMO.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:20 AM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I think it would be a mistake for the Redskins to get him. Ramsey's the future and he needs to start now to get the game experience IMO.

That's what I was thinking. It seems like the teams that should be looking aren't, but teams that make no sense are.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:24 AM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
The latest on Brunell says that the Redskins are very interested and are attempting to reach an agreement. Do you really think Steve is that interested in getting Brunell, or is this totally the owner?

The word in the area was that Patrick Ramsey was the owners' pick all the way, and that Spurrier was along the for the ride there. Rob Johnson isn't inspiring much optimism as their #2 QB for this season (surprise!), so it's certainly possible that Spurrier is looking to upgrade at that position - either as #2 or to put Brunell into the mix at #1.

I don't root for the Redskins, but they currently seem to exude the attitude that every facet of the team is great for this year expect the big question mark at QB. So, a move to do something there (bigger than Danny Weurffel) wouldn't be out of the question, I don't think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #21
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
If the redskins pick up Brunell I imagine they will have to redo his contract and convert most of his salary into a bonus spread out over a 4 or 5 year deal. Could be very lucrative considering the Skins will cut him a few years.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:39 AM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Maybe most scouting departments simply think he's done. It seems that if someone wanted him, they could negotiate a new deal before trading for him (in order to lower his salary this year), and make him a long term starter.

I know if I was arizona, with 15+ million in cap room - I would be on the phone with his agent right now.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #23
TroyF
Coordinator

I think there are some major problems with Brunell. Here are MY thoughts about him after the games I've seen him play in the last few years:

1) He has lost complete confidence in any WR not named Jimmy Smith. Probably for good reason, but the Jags don't have Jimmy Smith for the first four games of the season this year. Jimmy is also 34. Brunell REALLY struggles when he isn't in the lineup. If it isn't Jimmy, it'll most likely be a dump off to a back.

2) If you take on Brunell, you MUST have a strong offensive line. He's had a couple of concussions in recent years. He's not nearly as mobile as he used to be. He simply can't take punishment anymore. It's this reason that I thought the Jags would release him before the start of the year. Their OL is horrible. He's been sacked more than any QB in the league the last few seasons. You cannot put him in the position to take hits.

3) He can still be a very good QB for a team like Washington or the Jets. I wouldn't make him a large offer to be my starting QB though. His deal would look very similar to Jake Plummer's. A good signing bounus (not great) and an easy out after two or three years. There is a high likelihood he's going to retire from one too many concussions rather than end his career like Rich Gannon.

TroyF
Old 08-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #24
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Isn't it a bit late (playbook learning curve wise) for a QB to come to a team and become a starter?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:43 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nothing is ever too late nor too improbable for the Redskins.