Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2009-10 College Football Coaching Hiring/Firing Thread

Probably a good time for this with the ND news brewing, plus Kragthorpe getting the can.

I would love to see Louisville get Tuberville but I am not sure if he'd take the job. Seems like an ideal fit though. That opening intrigues me a great deal because they seem willing to spend money to improve themselves.

Then obviously there are a lot of rumors about Big Game Bob interviewing with Notre Dame as soon as tomorrow, so a lot of stuff will be kicking it up a notch.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rumor that Fulmer might be in line for the Louisville job, not sure whether that's instead of Tuberville or as a backup plan.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Then obviously there are a lot of rumors about Big Game Bob interviewing with Notre Dame as soon as tomorrow, so a lot of stuff will be kicking it up a notch.

Apparently, Stoops told a local reporter by text message that he is not interviewing and the ND rumors are false.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Apparently, Stoops told a local reporter by text message that he is not interviewing and the ND rumors are false.

I doubt Stoops goes to ND, but it wouldn't shock me. I think it's safe to say that at this time of the year it's hard to take anything a coach says as gospel though.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I'll believe statements like these when a coach ends up actually telling the truth.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm surprised Houston Nutt hasn't come out and withdrawn his name for consideration at Notre Dame.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'll believe statements like these when a coach ends up actually telling the truth.

Oh, I agree - just passing along the info. Frankly, I've always hated how Stoops never directly addresses other job issues when they come up, and they seem to about every year with him. It'd be nice to hear a statement such as the one Meyer gave last week.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So what jobs are even coming open?

Colorado and Illinois are both going to retain Hawkins and Zook, or so they have said at this point, so it won't be those schools.

In the ACC there is Virginia which seems like a given. FSU I guess could come open but no way they'd dump Fisher if Bowden "steps down" so that doesn't really count.

In the Big East, Louisville is obviously open, and it seems like that'll be it off the top of my head.

In the Big 12, Kansas seems like it'll open up, but that's it as of right now.

In the Big 10, Indiana maybe, but I am not sure. That's about it if Zook is retained.

In the Pac 10, I really don't see anyone going at this point.

In the SEC, again, don't see anything major.

Then obviously ND.

Is that a safe assessment at this point from the BCS conferences?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I honestly don't see any big name coach taking the ND job. Between the retarded expectations from the alumni who doesn't realize it isn't 1965 anymore and the fact that every established coach knows he won't get enough players academically eligible there really is no incentive to take the job.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Colorado and Illinois are both going to retain Hawkins and Zook, or so they have said at this point, so it won't be those schools.

In the ACC there is Virginia which seems like a given. FSU I guess could come open but no way they'd dump Fisher if Bowden "steps down" so that doesn't really count.

In the Big East, Louisville is obviously open, and it seems like that'll be it off the top of my head.

In the Big 10, Indiana maybe, but I am not sure. That's about it if Zook is retained.

Then obviously ND.

That's about it. Maryland and FSU could make moves, especially considering Bowden's comments after the game, but both also have coaches in waiting.

I'm interested to see who Virginia gets because their hiring expectations are always a tad ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I honestly don't see any big name coach taking the ND job. Between the retarded expectations from the alumni who doesn't realize it isn't 1965 anymore and the fact that every established coach knows he won't get enough players academically eligible there really is no incentive to take the job.

If, and it's a big if, but if Brian Kelly passes a background test, he'll be the guy I think. It could be an epic win or an epic fail, I see no middle ground. Very similar to RichRod though the biggest difference is his offense will be easy to put in place (a huge advantage obviously) but both have nearly identical resumes, both have skeletons in their closet (Kelly's are much worse if rumors are true) and both will have a ton of run ins with the media.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Rumor has it Kwhitt from Utah has been getting calls from schools to where he may move on because it's a step up from Utah.

I don't think he will leave but when a ton of money is thrown into the mix anything can happen.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought I read Kelly turned the job down already. But I was pretty hammered last night and maybe I dreamed it.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, I agree - just passing along the info. Frankly, I've always hated how Stoops never directly addresses other job issues when they come up, and they seem to about every year with him. It'd be nice to hear a statement such as the one Meyer gave last week.

There just seems to be a bit too much smoke for there to be no interest at all. I'd still be really surprised to see him leave OU, but I also think when Notre Dame comes knocking just about every coach is going to listen (and then run to the athletic department and use it as leverage for a raise).
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought I read Kelly turned the job down already. But I was pretty hammered last night and maybe I dreamed it.

I posted that based off what a friend read on one of the ND boards. Their was a report on there that Bill Belicheck had taken the job after Kelly turned it down. Lots of rumors out there, it will be interesting to see how it plays out this week.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

That's not what I've heard. I've heard they'll make a serious run at Stoops and then Kelly is next in line.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I posted that based off what a friend read on one of the ND boards. Their was a report on there that Bill Belicheck had taken the job after Kelly turned it down. Lots of rumors out there, it will be interesting to see how it plays out this week.

OK, glad to know I'm not crazy. I wonder if that also means I got a hand job from Elisha Cuthbert?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then obviously ND.

-- Kentucky might come open if Brooks decides it's time to retire but Joker Phillips is C-in-W there already.
-- CMR at Georgia probably had a small chance of falling on his sword over Willie Martinez but after tonight I don't see that happening, whereas if they had lost to GT again I think the AD might have let Richt leave.
-- Another wildcard sorta longshot would be if Spurrier decides it time to play golf full time instead of part-time.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't see how Maryland can possibly retain Friedgen, but I heard that they just had to cut something like $100-million on the academic side of things, so they are afraid of whatever backlash there might be if they buy the Fridge out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Leach move on and open Texas Tech up. Not sure about Texas A&M.

The Big East's current coaching lineup has 5-6 coaches (out of 8 teams) that probably have jobs for life, if they are willing. Schiano, Edsall, and Leavitt are all the most successful coaches in their team's histories. Kelly is obviously a star. Stewart and Wannstache each seem to be secure, unless they revert back to winning 4 or 5 games per year for a few years in a row.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm interested to see who Virginia gets because their hiring expectations are always a tad ridiculous.

One of the more reliable insiders on scout seems to think that Chris Peterson and Virginia already have an agreement in place. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as Peterson is a West Coast guy with no recruiting ties to the area, but he has obviously been very successful so far.

Mike London, the HC of Richmond (who won the FCS title last year), has been frequently mentioned, as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #21
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Rumor has it Kwhitt from Utah has been getting calls from schools to where he may move on because it's a step up from Utah.

I don't think he will leave but when a ton of money is thrown into the mix anything can happen.
I was dearly hoping the UW would throw $3.5M per year at him last year and see if he had the stones to say "no" to that. Not that I'm unhappy with Sarkisian, but I think Whittingham is a hell of a coach and obviously far more proven.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #22
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm hearing a lot of stuff about Stoops to ND now.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think this a just a Stoops money grab.
I just dont see his personality fitting there.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I'm hearing a lot of stuff about Stoops to ND now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from another board
from a premium ND board supposably:

As mentioned before, most universities hire an outside consultant to look at a number of candidates and use back channels to communicate about coaching positions. In this day and age, obviously information needs to be kept confidential when peoples’ jobs

So, when Bob Stoops says he hasn’t talked to Notre Dame, he’s telling the truth. When Jack Swarbrick says he hasn’t talked to any coaches, he’s telling the truth. A middle man (lack of a better term) handles these things confidentially.

What I have heard from five different sources is that the Stoop’s party has agreed verbally to most of the contract between the two parties and is just waiting to get the final word on if his financial demands are going to be met by Notre Dame.

I was told Weis will be let go early this week and if all goes through with Stoops, he’ll be announced as head coach late this week.

I’m not citing my sources obviously or naming the middle man as I don’t want to screw anything up here if this information is all correct. These things can fall through and as I said, I’m going from sources here, but there is a lot of fire here, not just smoke. I will say that the sources go from the Oklahoma side, to the Notre Dame side and to neutral parties.

So, at this point all the information I am getting is that once the contract has ink on it, Bob Stoops will be the next coach at Notre Dame. The last step is monetary from what I have been told.

I have also been told that Brian Kelly is not an option at all, period.

And later on:

Ok, now a ND insider who has literally never been wrong just confirmed on the RB

Take it for what it's worth.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #25
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
One of the more reliable insiders on scout seems to think that Chris Peterson and Virginia already have an agreement in place. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as Peterson is a West Coast guy with no recruiting ties to the area, but he has obviously been very successful so far.

Mike London, the HC of Richmond (who won the FCS title last year), has been frequently mentioned, as well.

Any word on Al Golden getting consideration? Seems like a perfect fit.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Especially since Golden was an assistant under Groh.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I wonder about Stoops at ND. I think he's a good coach and he has more openings to the rest of the US there, but a lot of his talent now is Oklahoma and Texas kids, and as prestigious as ND is, you don't get that many elite Southern talents to head North.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont see why Stoops would leave. Surely, money isnt that important.
Stoops is THE MAN in Oklahoma. He can do whatever he pleases. He wont leave that.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #29
tarcone
Coordinator

Ferentz will be at Iowa at least 7 more seasons. He has a son redshirting at Iowa and another son still in High School.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #30
hoopsguy
General Manager

Was there any speculation at all in this thread about Ferentz/Iowa?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Al Groh is out:
http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat...62911094502624

Quote:
Speculation about who might replace Groh is rampant, and the leading candidates appear to be: Mike London, Al Golden, Tommy Tuberville, Charlie Strong, Derek Dooley, Chris Peterson, and Jon Tenuta.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Was there any speculation at all in this thread about Ferentz/Iowa?

Early on there was the Ferentz to ND talk. It has died down obviously.
I was just pointing out the reasons Ferentz should be left out of any Ferentz to....... talk.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

Marshall's Mark Snyder is out.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #34
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Marshall's Mark Snyder is out.

Financially, that school is in a lot of trouble. I'm interested to see who takes the job.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #35
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't see how Maryland can possibly retain Friedgen, but I heard that they just had to cut something like $100-million on the academic side of things, so they are afraid of whatever backlash there might be if they buy the Fridge out.

I've heard budget concerns with firing Friedgen, too, something that the governor of MD is resisting it (think I read it in the Post this week?). Also read that if they do fire Fridge, there's no guarantee they'll go to the coach in waiting, though there's more cost if they don't make the coach in waiting the coach before 2011 or something.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #36
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Financially, that school is in a lot of trouble. I'm interested to see who takes the job.

I hope it isn't Terry Bowden.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #37
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Washington Post says Groh's out. Virginia to fire Al Groh as head football coach - washingtonpost.com

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #38
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope it isn't Terry Bowden.

Kragthorpe has reportedly contacted the school about the opening. I've heard Paul Petrino's name and I've also seen it confirmed by someone that would know that Bob Pruett is a possibility as a fallback option.

Butch Jones has been mentioned, but unless I'm mistaken, he'd actually be taking a paycut to go there so I don't see it happening.

I don't think they'd take Terry.

Considering the mess Pruett left that program in I'm always amazed at how fondly he's remembered there and that they'd even consider bringing him back.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #39
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I've heard budget concerns with firing Friedgen, too, something that the governor of MD is resisting it (think I read it in the Post this week?). Also read that if they do fire Fridge, there's no guarantee they'll go to the coach in waiting, though there's more cost if they don't make the coach in waiting the coach before 2011 or something.

/tk

Yeah -- I have never really thought much of the coach-in-waiting concept, but it really made no sense for Maryland. James Franklin was not really a coach in high demand -- no BCS conference team was in danger of making him a head coach, so it isn't like they couldn't have hired him back away from Ball State or Directional Michigan if he took another job, and, even if they couldn't get him back, Fridge has been pretty subpar since his first three years at Maryland, so it isn't like it is vital to have continuity there.

That was just a strange, strange move by Maryland's AD.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #40
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Kragthorpe has reportedly contacted the school about the opening. I've heard Paul Petrino's name and I've also seen it confirmed by someone that would know that Bob Pruett is a possibility as a fallback option.

Butch Jones has been mentioned, but unless I'm mistaken, he'd actually be taking a paycut to go there so I don't see it happening.

I don't think they'd take Terry.

Considering the mess Pruett left that program in I'm always amazed at how fondly he's remembered there and that they'd even consider bringing him back.

It doesn't make much sense for Butch Jones to take a job there. He has things running smoothly at CMU and is in line for a BCS job soon, I'd imagine (maybe Cincy if Kelly leaves?). It would be pretty risky to take on a complete rebuild job like the one Marshall will require.

Kragthorpe would probably be a decent choice for both sides.

I'd love to know what Bowden did at Auburn that knocked him out of coaching for 10+ years and prevents him from getting a job in the MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt.

Pruett has to be close to 70 and should probably be banned by the NCAA for the crap he was doing there before. I don't really want Marshall to become a Boise State or Utah, but I don't want them to turn into total crap, either.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #41
Recoil
High School Varsity

Former FCS power Georgia Southern snags GT assistant. Great hire, IMO. Best of luck to Monken.

Quote:
Jeff Monken has accepted the offer to become the eighth head coach of Georgia Southern in the modern era.

A long-time assistant under former GSU coach Paul Johnson, Monken is the slot backs coach and special-teams coordinator for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. He was the slot backs coach at Navy all six years under Johnson, adding special-teams coordinator to his resume in 2005.

Monken served as the slotbacks coach at GSU until 2001, when the Eagles’ offense led the nation in rushing (323.6) yards per game under Johnson. The rushing offense also led the nation in 1999 with 419 yards per contest.
Recoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #42
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I dont see why Stoops would leave. Surely, money isnt that important.
Stoops is THE MAN in Oklahoma. He can do whatever he pleases. He wont leave that.

I may end up being wrong, of course. But I'm right there with you. As I've said plenty of times, I don't see Stoops to ND at all.

And as for unconfirmed, mystery sources, a reliable poster on the OU rivals board, who claims to have sources within the program and is often right on things well ahead of time, says Stoops has absolutely no interest in ND.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #43
Galaril
Pro Starter

Personally as a ND fan for over 30 years I hope they don't pick Stoops. Ever since Boise State Petersen owned him in that Bowl game I never could trust the guys coaching ability at least in game strategy.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #44
bhlloy
Coordinator

No way Stoops is heading to ND for all the reasons above. About as likely as Belicheck taking the job.

At least ND is doing it right this time. No sense in firing Weis until you know that you've got a better option lined up. At least with Charlie he's got a good class coming in and a better chance of convincing Clausen/Tate to stay.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #45
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Regarding Stoops and Notre Dame, I think you'll find every football program has perverted sense of expectations. If Stoops has another 6-6 season next year, those boosters there will be calling for his head. Heck, KU folk around here are talking about Tuberville and Fulmer being on the top of the KU list. I'm not sure KU is on the top of their lists, though.

As for the why would Stoops go to Notre Dame, do we need a better answer than ego? They'll gladly make him the highest paid coach in college football history and if he went to Notre Dame and did what he's done at OU, they'd put his face on the side of the Vatican.

What's the word with Rodriguez and Michigan? I've heard a lot of speculation that now is the time to cut bait and go get Harbaugh.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 11-29-2009 at 03:29 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Regarding Stoops and Notre Dame, I think you'll find every football program has perverted sense of expectations. If Stoops has another 6-6 season next year, those boosters there will be calling for his head. Heck, KU folk around here are talking about Tuberville and Fulmer being on the top of the KU list. I'm not sure KU is on the top of their lists, though.

As for the why would Stoops go to Notre Dame, do we need a better answer than ego? They'll gladly make him the highest paid coach in college football history and if he went to Notre Dame and did what he's done at OU, they'd put his face on the side of the Vatican.

What's the word with Rodriguez and Michigan? I've heard a lot of speculation that now is the time to cut bait and go get Harbaugh.

He's not going anywhere. The current AD is retiring in September and a new one hasn't even been named yet. No way they hire a new coach before a new AD is set to take over.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #47
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Former FCS power Georgia Southern snags GT assistant. Great hire, IMO. Best of luck to Monken.

Yup. Good luck to Monken. Johnson said he is planning for Monken to coach through the bowl game and split duties as appropriate.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Actually, most Kansas fans I know are hoping for Gary Patterson at TCU though we acknowledge KU isn't a step up by any means. Patterson is from Kansas so he might be interested in being closer to his parents who still live in the state.

Kansas does have a few things in their corner. They have invested a lot of money into new facilities and they have an athletic director who isn't afraid to open his checkbook for coaches' salaries (Mangino is currently one of the 25 highest paid college football coaches in the country). The problem for Kansas is that you're going to have to recruit outside the state because the state of Kansas doesn't have a lot of D1A talent. That means getting the scraps from Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 region.

As for Tuberville, I'd love it if he were interested in Kansas. I would hope Kansas at least calls him to see if there was interest. Skip Holtz and Turner Gill are two names being thrown out. Holtz has ties to the current KU athletic director and Turner Gill has ties to KU (daughter) and the Big 12 region (played at Nebraska and born in Texas). Of course Kansas still has a coach in the office, but I can't imagine he stays after this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #49
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Skip Holtz walked away from Kansas AD Lew Perkins at Connecticut to take a coordinator job with his father at South Carolina. What he left at UConn was worse then what you'd have in an empty cupboard FOF career.

He did a decent job over his 5 seasons and got to a 1-AA quarterfinal where they got destroyed by Georgia Southern. That team was set up for one run, he made it and then he disappeared. Maybe he'd be successful at an ACC program with low expectations but I wouldn't expect huge things if he got the Kansas job.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #50
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Buffalo didn't beat a team that even finished .500 this year. Turner Gill's best win this year is either 5-7 Kent State or 4-8 UTEP.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote