3-4 days a week 26 30.95%
1-2 days a week 18 21.43%
Never - Unless Trout fishing counts as exercise. 24 28.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

FOFC fitness meter

I have always been fairly fit, just never consistent in the frequency I work out, as Football and various other things made it hard to do an entire year on rigid schedule. Now that I have officially "retired" from coaching I hope to maintain a weekly program of working out at least 5-6 days a week, 11 weeks on, 1 week off.

Just curious how much time others on the board put into working out.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-07-2009 at 01:49 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woo! I'm number 1! ...In that, no one else has voted yet.

I went with 3-4. Typically, it's 4+one weekend day but sometimes I miss a chance or two so that seems comfy. I do boring stuff, tho- maybe about 15 minutes of calisthenics and stretching during the week- and then walking or running (most of) a little 2.5ish mile route near our apartment. I kindof wish we had more options and I wish the Commonwealth of Virginia didn't hate streetlights and sidewalks as much as they do. But I'm glad my wife drags me outside to walk/run.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

On 9/17, I started a weight loss challenge sponsored by my employer. I have been working out 5-6 times a week since. I plan on continuing that once the contest is over on Wednesday. I am running the Indy 500 mini-marathon in May.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

I vary quite a bit too. I have cut out free weights for the most part since I am so banged up and have found I can maintain decent muscle mass/strength with bowflex 3-4 times a week. The other days I either do Yoga (Which is a bitch) or ride my bike once it cools down.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
On 9/17, I started a weight loss challenge sponsored by my employer. I have been working out 5-6 times a week since. I plan on continuing that once the contest is over on Wednesday. I am running the Indy 500 mini-marathon in May.

Awesome goal spleen, wish you luck with that!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Telle
College Starter

I haven't done crap since last spring when I messed up my knees running. I got physical therapy over the summer and am better now, but just haven't gotten back into things.

I decided today though to start putting out the effort to get more exercise in. I'm planning on 4-5 days a week between walking and yoga.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Typically, 5-6 days a week. The last week or two.......I plan to start back up tomorrow! Promise!

3 days a week of weight training, 3 days a week of cardio. I also want to start hiking on the weekends, but it was not good timing to decide to do that. The last 4 weekends, 3 featured rain and the 4th was in the middle of the Thanksgiving 4 day weekend (and my sleep schedule was already fubared by the time Sat. came). This weekend is looking decent (but cold).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

See you all in Boston.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Working out is for fat people and vain people. Count me out.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
See you all in Boston.
Heh. Maybe Foz can run it with you.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Not at all at the moment, but I'm hoping to get back into a good routine in a few weeks...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
JS19
College Prospect

Pretty consistent with how often I go, but I'm always changing my mind on what it is I want to accomplish. I'll go a few weeks trying to cut weight, then get bored and decide I want to gain weight and go for mass. For the past month or so I've been committed to putting weight on and whatnot, but I found out, yesterday actually, that I'm going to be doing this adventure race gig. It includes a running portion, kayaking, and mountain biking. I wanna start training for that so that's gonna throw the kabash on my current goals.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
MartinD
High School Varsity

I managed to get a spot in next year's London Marathon, so am running three to five times each week, and cycling to work once or twice a week.
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
I managed to get a spot in next year's London Marathon, so am running three to five times each week, and cycling to work once or twice a week.

They don't just let everyone run who wants to?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I want to do the NYC marathon and I thought that was the case, but apparently not. You need to be a member of the New York Road Runners organization and complete 9 qualifying races in the prior year. I believe there is a lottery, as well, but you can't just sign up and run.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I'm pretty sure you can for the Philadelphia marathon (one closest to me). But I heard about needing to beat a certain time to qualify for the Boston marathon. I guess it depends on how prestigious the marathon is. The more known it is, the more qualifications you need.

Makes sense. If they let just anyone in, I'd imagine the London, NYC and Boston marathons (and other highly prestigious marathons) would have too many people.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

What do you guys do in the cold winters to workout? That's the problem I run into here. Never have a problem finding activities in the warmer months but just can't find a lot to do in the Winter. Was thinking of buying an eliptical or stair machine but they are a bit pricey for quality.

Oh and I hate gyms.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What do you guys do in the cold winters to workout? That's the problem I run into here. Never have a problem finding activities in the warmer months but just can't find a lot to do in the Winter. Was thinking of buying an eliptical or stair machine but they are a bit pricey for quality.

Oh and I hate gyms.

Buy the iron gym.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Oh and I hate gyms.

Bowflex, you can do high rep circuit routines to get your cardio and tone muscle too.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #20
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm in the 1-2 category. I really want to work out more. I use to work out 6 days a week. It's amazing how much time you DON'T HAVE when you have a child.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 12-08-2009 at 12:56 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I'm pretty sure you can for the Philadelphia marathon (one closest to me). But I heard about needing to beat a certain time to qualify for the Boston marathon. I guess it depends on how prestigious the marathon is. The more known it is, the more qualifications you need.

Makes sense. If they let just anyone in, I'd imagine the London, NYC and Boston marathons (and other highly prestigious marathons) would have too many people.

London and New York both have entry lotteries to control the number of entrants. Separately, there are qualifying times, but the qualifying times are really difficult.

Boston has no lottery and has a qualifying system only. The times are slightly less difficult than those required for NY or London.

All three have charity programs that let a certain number of runners in under "official charities." The charity runners are then obligated to raise a specified amount in order to run for the charity. A skeptic might criticize a charity runner as one who bought their way into the race.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Groundhog
Coordinator

I try to do two or three 5km jogs each week, play basketball once a week, and do some weights (nothing heavy, don't want to bulk up) about 3-4 times a week.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Alright spleenie!! Good luck!!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I hate gyms. I only play tennis. But during the winter, that gets a bit more difficult and I haven't joined an indoor club here yet, but hopefully will get to do that in the summer (it's cheaper to join an indoor club in the summer, than in the winter when everyone is playing)

I've considered taking up fencing recently though and getting back into ballroom dance. Or something. But I stay active.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #25
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I've been running 3 times a week and have recently finished the Couch to 5K program and today I finally ran 5K straight (no walking). I plan to continue with the running and maybe incorporate something from Wii's My Fitness Coach for core exercises.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 12-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

It varies from 2 to 4 hours of karate classes a week. Not all hours are super intense although I try to take 2 with the most intense or our instructors. Some are very cardio-like while some are involve more technical aspects of training, I still usually always work up a reasonable sweat. Doesn't look like much but when you push yourself, simply doing some kata can be quite demanding...

FM
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #27
lungs
Pro Rookie

My workout consists of 12 ounce curls.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
My workout consists of 12 ounce curls.