Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Sporkimata
High School JV

DDS:PB2 saw this posted at the forums

Gary had this posted..

"For all of you out there waiting for some DDS:PB2 info...the wait is almost over. Check back this weekend and we're going to have some very exciting things for you...

p.s. bring your credit card"

Sweet, been waiting for this forever. Woot!

Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Is it compatible with the last college version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Yes, no functionality has changed in that regard
Old 10-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Yes, no functionality has changed in that regard

Ok, thanks Gary!

Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
whomario
Pro Starter

Just what i needed, yet another game to eat up my scarce free time ...

Ah well, itīs winter anyway, so what the hell

This can only be the open beta, right ? Or has that been scratched completely ? Curious as to what they have in store this time, last version was tons of fun and a great improvement over the previous one.

Curious how the european leagues are turning out, though iīm not holding my breath on this one, honestly donīt expect much on the first try.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Autumn
Head Coach

That's exciting, though I probably can't afford to get it right now. My birthday is coming up though ;-) I've been enjoying the first version the little bit I have time for it, and I think an updated version has a lot of potential.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Yes we're only at the pre-order/open beta stage.

I would say there are really 6 big improvements in the game (plus some other minor ones)

1. European leagues - I'll admit this feature is going to need some hammering during the beta and in fact it's likely not to be turned on at the start of the beta simply because there's so many variables involved in it. I want to make sure that everything on the NBA/NBDL side is functioning as it should before introducing those other variables - it just makes for testing to be a bit easier. But the premise should actually be pretty deep - you play in both your domestic league and hopefully in one of the cup seasons as well. Both are played simulatenously with the ultimate goal being to win the major European cup tournament. You play your domestic league to qualify for the cup seasons the following year so there's not only the yearly task of trying to win your own league but the threat of relegation (or promise of promotion) between the two cup series (or you could be left out of both as well)

2. Expansion Draft - leagues can be expanded up to 32 teams and the expansion is set to go in the automatic progression that the NBA did so if you start with say 29 teams and you expand you will get one team in that draft (Charlotte). The expansion draft is a cool feature - you get to protect players, offer draft picks to entice teams to take your horrible contracts off your hands...I think it will be a popular choice to start with the current setup, play the first season and then introduce expansion to 32 teams.

3. Expanded Finances - restricted free agency has been added along with player and team options, qualifying offers....basically just taking the next step there to make it more realistic

4. Diminished Finances - I know that some people felt the semi-NBA style salary system was annoying or too much to handle and adding new stuff would only make that worse so you can also play with none of that stuff active (no bird rights, no RFAs, no options)...just a straight salary cap if that's more your style

5. Progressive injury healing - another complaint was that people didn't really get a feel for how injured a player was or what it meant to his effectiveness. Now players will progressively get better over time rather than just being at a static injured %

6. MP improvements - I've tried to take steps to cut down on some of the extra work by allowing for players to upload and the commissioner to download files right through the game itself.

Like I said, there's some other improvements - more media, tweaked screens to show data better and more effeciently, deeper player personalities. All in all its been quite an overhaul of the game if I do say so myself. Of course we're only going into beta here - there's no set time for the full release - that will all depend on the beta but I hope that some of you guys will pre-order and take part in the beta. I'm really excited about getting some reactions to the new features.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

This may seem trivial, and I haven't played the game in several months, but there is one thing that I found annoying with the interface. I could not figure out how to sort free agent coaches by their name, and it was very frustrating trying to put together a list of the most qualified coaches for what I was looking for.

Is there any type of sorting functionality in this version by chance? I could probably go to the official forum for the game, but am too lazy right now.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Yes we're only at the pre-order/open beta stage.

I would say there are really 6 big improvements in the game (plus some other minor ones)

1. European leagues - I'll admit this feature is going to need some hammering during the beta and in fact it's likely not to be turned on at the start of the beta simply because there's so many variables involved in it. I want to make sure that everything on the NBA/NBDL side is functioning as it should before introducing those other variables - it just makes for testing to be a bit easier. But the premise should actually be pretty deep - you play in both your domestic league and hopefully in one of the cup seasons as well. Both are played simulatenously with the ultimate goal being to win the major European cup tournament. You play your domestic league to qualify for the cup seasons the following year so there's not only the yearly task of trying to win your own league but the threat of relegation (or promise of promotion) between the two cup series (or you could be left out of both as well)

2. Expansion Draft - leagues can be expanded up to 32 teams and the expansion is set to go in the automatic progression that the NBA did so if you start with say 29 teams and you expand you will get one team in that draft (Charlotte). The expansion draft is a cool feature - you get to protect players, offer draft picks to entice teams to take your horrible contracts off your hands...I think it will be a popular choice to start with the current setup, play the first season and then introduce expansion to 32 teams.

3. Expanded Finances - restricted free agency has been added along with player and team options, qualifying offers....basically just taking the next step there to make it more realistic

4. Diminished Finances - I know that some people felt the semi-NBA style salary system was annoying or too much to handle and adding new stuff would only make that worse so you can also play with none of that stuff active (no bird rights, no RFAs, no options)...just a straight salary cap if that's more your style

5. Progressive injury healing - another complaint was that people didn't really get a feel for how injured a player was or what it meant to his effectiveness. Now players will progressively get better over time rather than just being at a static injured %

6. MP improvements - I've tried to take steps to cut down on some of the extra work by allowing for players to upload and the commissioner to download files right through the game itself.

Like I said, there's some other improvements - more media, tweaked screens to show data better and more effeciently, deeper player personalities. All in all its been quite an overhaul of the game if I do say so myself. Of course we're only going into beta here - there's no set time for the full release - that will all depend on the beta but I hope that some of you guys will pre-order and take part in the beta. I'm really excited about getting some reactions to the new features.

Looks like I posted my question at the same this was posted. In any case, don't see my question addressed here. However, the financial and expansion draft improvements look fantastic.

One question: do you have to pre-order to be in the Beta?

Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
This may seem trivial, and I haven't played the game in several months, but there is one thing that I found annoying with the interface. I could not figure out how to sort free agent coaches by their name, and it was very frustrating trying to put together a list of the most qualified coaches for what I was looking for.

Is there any type of sorting functionality in this version by chance? I could probably go to the official forum for the game, but am too lazy right now.

Which place are you looking for? During the offseason or from the staff page during the season if you've fired a coach mid-season?

I'll certainly take a look at how its working now and see if I can make that function a little better in DDSPB2
Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
One question: do you have to pre-order to be in the Beta?

Yes, but if you are going to buy the game you might as well pre-order and take advantage of the 15% discount we do on it.

Participating in the beta is totally optional by the way - some people don't seem to like this policy for whatever reason but they don't seem to get/care that its optional. You can just pre-order to save the 15% if you want and then wait around until its ready or jump into the beta at a later date...but for alot of the diehards they actually like to be able to get their hands on a working version and kick the tires so to speak. And we really appreciate all the help we get on it.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Which place are you looking for? During the offseason or from the staff page during the season if you've fired a coach mid-season?

I'll certainly take a look at how its working now and see if I can make that function a little better in DDSPB2

From what I recall, this was immediately when the season began. For example, I played as the Pistons and wanted to fire Flip Saunders (since he was no longer the coach in reality) and hire Michael Curry (who isn't the coach anymore either at this point, and he wasn't even in the game as an option so I had to target someone else). I was unable to sort the coaches by their name or attributes, or by any means actually. Not sure which screen I was looking in.

I am at work now, but I can look at it this weekend and let you know specifically which screen I am referring to, unless someone else here has a similar situation.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Sounds very promising, I'm looking forward to it.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, but if you are going to buy the game you might as well pre-order and take advantage of the 15% discount we do on it.

Participating in the beta is totally optional by the way - some people don't seem to like this policy for whatever reason but they don't seem to get/care that its optional. You can just pre-order to save the 15% if you want and then wait around until its ready or jump into the beta at a later date...but for alot of the diehards they actually like to be able to get their hands on a working version and kick the tires so to speak. And we really appreciate all the help we get on it.

agree with you. Never got it why people would mind this. I mean, they can either sit there and wait for the game to be finished or they can sit there and wait for the game to be finished, itīs not like itīs a difference ... Or you can help shape the game and make sure the mistakes get ironed out for the time itīs finished.
Itīs not like it would be finished earlier without the beta.

Couldnīt participate last time due to time commitments, definitely going to take part this time. And iīll make sure to give you input especially on the european side of things being from there (iīm on the WS forum allready under the name "Wilt", so if you get annoying hints from him that would be me )
Like said : First Try canīt be perfect. Seeing as there hasnīt been a quality game for european basketball at all here in Europe you really canīt go wrong there

Last edited by whomario : 10-02-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Awesome I am there. I am glad to see you made it out of the sports sim desert with a few years of silence from many od the ole developers (As he quietly slips the debit card out of his pocket once the wife exits the room).................Will the mods NBA team names, logos, courts work with this one or will we have to just wait until modders create new mods for this one? Oh and how much for preorders?

Last edited by Galaril : 10-02-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
agree with you. Never got it why people would mind this. I mean, they can either sit there and wait for the game to be finished or they can sit there and wait for the game to be finished, itīs not like itīs a difference ... Or you can help shape the game and make sure the mistakes get ironed out for the time itīs finished.
Itīs not like it would be finished earlier without the beta.

I have no problem with this, I was just asking to make sure first. But I am thinking you weren't referring to me specifically, right?

Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have no problem with this, I was just asking to make sure first. But I am thinking you weren't referring to me specifically, right?

nope, there was some hooplah on the wolverine board when the last games beta started
Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
nope, there was some hooplah on the wolverine board when the last games beta started

Kinda thought so.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Awesome I am there. I am glad to see you made it out of the sports sim desert with a few years of silence from many od the ole developers (As he quietly slips the debit card out of his pocket once the wife exits the room).................Will the mods NBA team names, logos, courts work with this one or will we have to just wait until modders create new mods for this one? Oh and how much for preorders?

Logos, courts, player/coach photos that were modded should be fine. I'm not sure on the roster/teamname mods - if anything it would probably be minor changes required.

Pre-order will be $33.95 and will last until I feel the game's heading into the home stretch of beta.

Also one thing that will be different this time around is that the beta postings will be done on a separate part of the forum that you will need to request access to. Two reasons for this - one, I want to know how many people actually are participating in the beta and two, I honestly don't want to deal with the handful of people who haven't even purchased the beta and are in there making remarks about either the things others are posting or about how wrong we are for "charging people to beta test" which obviously isn't the case.

For anyone who doesn't pre-order and still wants info on the game we'll be releasing screens and all that kind of stuff too still.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

All ready to go just waiting for the pre-order link.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hot sexy fun
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Pre-order is live - some basic info from our site on it

First batch of screenshots have been released - here's a post on that

And if any of you are FaceOff Hockey players (previous customers only -we're still working on putting that back together for new customers) - the latest season disk is now available as well.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #23
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Awesome I am there. I am glad to see you made it out of the sports sim desert with a few years of silence from many od the ole developers

BTW just wanted to comment on this - it feels good to finally have something new coming to the market. Its been a long struggle obviously as some of the other guys can attest to I'm sure - we're only at beta so I'm not ready to breathe a big sigh of relief yet but it does feel good to at least be "back in the game" - hopefully the community enjoys the game and I invite you to at least follow along with the screens and news and stuff and give the demo a shot when it is ready even if you aren't a NBA fan - this game should easily go beyond those boundaries.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #24
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Also just in case anyone isn't into reading what is linked at our forums - the pre-order starts today and the first file will be available next Saturday the 10th. In the meantime we're asking that if you want to be involved you pre-order and then send an email to [email protected] with your WS forum name and your real name to cross reference your order - you'll be granted access to the beta forum within 24 hours after that. The week delay between the pre-order starting and the file being available will give us enough time to get that first wave of people settled into the forum and ready for the file at release rather than having to deal with granting all those people access while dealing with the first wave of beta issues.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 10-03-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #25
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Monday morning bump for anyone who wasn't around over the weekend - got a decent number of people who pre-ordered and want in on the beta but we can of course use more. So...who's up for a new text sim?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

two questions for multi-player

1) are you able to delete users now

2) can users fire their own coaches and negotiate contract extensions instead of the commish having to do everything ...

I do understand the in-season FA's and it would be hard to program for the player to decide between offers because their is no money involved ... but it certainly would be nice if the commissioner had less to do.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

1) yes, you should be able to delete GMs - that was one of the first things I added to the MP side

2) this isn't done as of right now - I'm trying to figure out a way to do this. There are some things I think we can try out. My focus has been to reduce the work on everyone.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #28
Ramzavail
College Starter

Gary - The thing that always frustrated me the most was the link between CB and PB and ultimately got me too frustrated with both games to continue my dynasty and playing both games.

DDS:CB/PB - the next Speedy Claxton - Front Office Football Central

Has there been any work done to make this process smoother and less delicate? Maybe all it needs are some "Are you sure?" Pop-ups, but I think something needs to be improved in this area.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #29
Sgran
High School Varsity

Gary, has the rebounding code been worked on at all? I remember that there was some problems with players getting more or fewer boards than they should simply because of whether they were penciled in at the 4 or 5.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

Saw the beta has been going ona few weeks. I know the beta is closed and testers can't say much. But maybe if Gary how the beta is going, any new features that have been turned on ,changes to the feature list and a update on release if any .
Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #31
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Just as a clarification in terms of the beta being "closed" - private is a better word. If you pre-order today, tomorrow...basically until we shut the pre-order down then you can get in on the beta. Its just on a private section of the forum you have to request access to.

The beta is going very well - we've got over a hundred people who signed up for beta forum access which is why I like to do it this way. I'm working on the 5th build now which I will probably release tomorrow - game is very stable so far and I'm nearing the point where I can turn on the Euro leagues. The rosters need some work (and the start of season rosters need to be setup as well) but all in all its coming along nicely.

My personal goal for release is going to be early Dec but the real answer is "when its ready". We'll keep the beta testing going until people aren't finding bugs and crashes and then we'll call it official and release it.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #32
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just as a clarification in terms of the beta being "closed" - private is a better word. If you pre-order today, tomorrow...basically until we shut the pre-order down then you can get in on the beta. Its just on a private section of the forum you have to request access to.

The beta is going very well - we've got over a hundred people who signed up for beta forum access which is why I like to do it this way. I'm working on the 5th build now which I will probably release tomorrow - game is very stable so far and I'm nearing the point where I can turn on the Euro leagues. The rosters need some work (and the start of season rosters need to be setup as well) but all in all its coming along nicely.

My personal goal for release is going to be early Dec but the real answer is "when its ready". We'll keep the beta testing going until people aren't finding bugs and crashes and then we'll call it official and release it.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #33
Capital
High School Varsity

That's good news...thanks for the update...
Capital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #34
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Gary - The thing that always frustrated me the most was the link between CB and PB and ultimately got me too frustrated with both games to continue my dynasty and playing both games.

DDS:CB/PB - the next Speedy Claxton - Front Office Football Central

Has there been any work done to make this process smoother and less delicate? Maybe all it needs are some "Are you sure?" Pop-ups, but I think something needs to be improved in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Gary, has the rebounding code been worked on at all? I remember that there was some problems with players getting more or fewer boards than they should simply because of whether they were penciled in at the 4 or 5.

Gary, as someone who is interested in purchasing the game when it is released could you answer these two questions posted further up the thread.

Thank you
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #35
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Nothing has been done yet with the links between the two games but that doesn't mean that it can't be. I would certainly welcome feedback in specific items that could be done to make it better or even on what the most confusing things are. Also are we talking about leagues that are linked together or not?

There will be some tweaking in statistical code but doesn't it make sense that players get more rebounds at the 4 or 5 simply because they are around the rebound much more frequently than they would be playing the 3 or something?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*shrugs* i think so
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #37
Galaril
Pro Starter

Gary or anyone that knows,

You mentioned the rosters needed some work. Are they cleaned up or improved much now in First Access? I am itching to get to playing but will hold off if they are still somewhat a mess.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-13-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #38
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Is there any update on when this game will be released? I'm off for a few weeks and trying to pick a new game to play during that time. I'll probably hold off if this game is going to be out soon, though.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #39
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Nothing has been done yet with the links between the two games but that doesn't mean that it can't be. I would certainly welcome feedback in specific items that could be done to make it better or even on what the most confusing things are. Also are we talking about leagues that are linked together or not?

There will be some tweaking in statistical code but doesn't it make sense that players get more rebounds at the 4 or 5 simply because they are around the rebound much more frequently than they would be playing the 3 or something?

Yes, I mean leagues that are linked.

It has been a while, from what I remember, my biggest gripe was the delicate nature of the off season file date. You had to be in the exact right sim spot in both games when it turned over, or you were screwed. I think a pop-up would work best here reminding the user to be in compliant with the appropriate stages for both games in order to continue.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #40
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Is there any update on when this game will be released? I'm off for a few weeks and trying to pick a new game to play during that time. I'll probably hold off if this game is going to be out soon, though.

Nope and I am not expecting release soon since he just posted in the last week they were just opening up the Euro league stuff for the betas to test out so.........

Last edited by Galaril : 12-22-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #41
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Also, I guess I might fire up the original DDS:PB while I wait. I see there are some roster mods out there, but are there draft files out there for the intervening years?
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #42
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Also, I guess I might fire up the original DDS:PB while I wait. I see there are some roster mods out there, but are there draft files out there for the intervening years?

The closest thing is La Tulipe's draft files with the 1976 roster set, but everyone's intangibles are the same and some players are mindbogglingly mis-rated (like Ben Wallace is merely average or below on D in the default file). Also, it's based on what year players entered the league, not when they were drafted.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote