Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #251
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

hxxp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/22/report-chilly-ripped-offense-at-halftime-hurled-post-game-expletives-at-favre/

---------------
Report: Chilly ripped offense at halftime, hurled post-game expletives at Favre
Posted by Mike Florio on December 22, 2009 8:58 AM ET
As it turns out, Chilly isn't such a chump after all.

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that, both before and after the "heated discussion" that Vikings coach Brad Childress claims wasn't a "heated discussion," Childress targeted some heated words at members of his team.

Per Jensen, the offense got it at halftime, and Favre himself was the target after the game, presumably after Favre aired the dirty laundry to the media.

At the half, Childress reportedly cursed at the team and said it's "laughable" that the Vikings consider themselves a Super Bowl team.

Though a kinder, gentler Chilly emerged on Monday, Jensen writes that "all is not well between Brad and Brett, and the primary difference centers on the quarterback's penchant to check out of runs and into passes."

And so, as several of you have suggested in the comments, it sounds like there's finally a schism in Minnesota. Favre might not have known what the term meant in August, but we've got a feeling that he knows it now.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #252
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still trying to figure out if Childress really deserves a nickname, or not. The Vikings are not a SB contender due to Childress's coaching as much as it is knowing Favre is going to screw up at some point. Favre checking into passing plays versus running plays makes all too much sense considering the number of passes Favre throws. But really, Favre doing his own thing and pissing off those around him? If we had only seen signs of this before... Be careful of what you wish for.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lemme see here, Favre has thrown about the same number of passes in the last two losses as he threw in over half their wins. The Vikings have the 2nd best record in the NFC & only an otherworldly season by the Saints keeps them from having the best record. But suddenly it's Brett's fault for checking out of plays?

Hope Childress has his next job lined up and that he rented rather than bought.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #254
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Actually he just signed a contract extension.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Actually he just signed a contract extension.

Like that stops anybody from getting fired?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #256
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Lemme see here, Favre has thrown about the same number of passes in the last two losses as he threw in over half their wins. The Vikings have the 2nd best record in the NFC & only an otherworldly season by the Saints keeps them from having the best record. But suddenly it's Brett's fault for checking out of plays?

His checking out of plays caused the following drive lengths beginning in the 3rd quarter after having a 7-6 lead:

1:01
2:28
2:27
0:57
(Carolina scores, takes lead)
2:26
(Carolina scores, takes 2 TD lead)
1:10
(Carolina scores, takes 3 TD lead)

There were 25 pass plays called in the 2nd half (taking into account sacks and penalties in addition to actual pass attempts). This and the above is a good method to win what was once a close game and your best player is a RB.

Last edited by Logan : 12-22-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Good method to win a game.

{shrug} I simply ask myself who I trust more to make the right decision: Favre or Childress & Co?

Even with his propensity to overreach, that's one of the easiest questions in football to me.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #258
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
His checking out of plays caused the following drive lengths beginning in the 3rd quarter after having a 7-6 lead:

There were 25 pass plays called in the 2nd half (taking into account sacks and penalties in addition to actual pass attempts). This and the above is a good method to win what was once a close game and you're best player is a RB.

Not only that, but said RB is considered by many to be one of the best players in the league, period.

The whole point of bringing in Favre was supposed to be to keep defenses honest for Adrian Peterson. Not to completely shift the focus of the offense.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #259
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There were 25 pass plays called in the 2nd half (taking into account sacks and penalties in addition to actual pass attempts). This and the above is a good method to win what was once a close game and you're best player is a RB.

I think Logan wins here.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #260
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I think Logan wins here.

Yeah but I had to edit out that "you're". Ugh .
Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #261
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
What ... the fuck ... was .... THAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Im literally speechless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
And Jim Zorn officially tops Lane Kiffin's 76-yard FG attempt from last year on the "I don't give a fuck" scale.

I'm assuming these are about the fake FG attempt? I just finished watching the game. Wow.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #262
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I'm assuming these are about the fake FG attempt? I just finished watching the game. Wow.
If you want to call it a fake FG attempt, yeah. I think the term "monkey fucking a football" is more appropriate here.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #263
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #264
Rizon
Pro Starter

What the ... FUCK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #265
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There were 25 pass plays called in the 2nd half (taking into account sacks and penalties in addition to actual pass attempts). This and the above is a good method to win what was once a close game and your best player is a RB.

Can you post the drive results from the first half when Favre was 6-7 for 49 yards?(They ran it 13 times in the first half) They had 62 yards in the first half.

They didnt move the ball the whole game so pointing to 2nd half possessions isnt a true indicator of whether or not it was Favre checking out of plays that caused this.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #266
Rizon
Pro Starter

hxxp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12692307/idiotic-play-call-seals-zorns-doom-in-washington

Idiotic play call seals Zorn's doom in Washington
Quote:
LANDOVER, Md. -- People like you and me, we like to exaggerate. We like to watch a struggling team like the Washington Redskins, with a struggling coach like Jim Zorn, and we like to say things like, "That guy's an idiot."

Do we mean it? Not really. In our heart of hearts, we know that an NFL head coach can't really be an idiot, especially a head coach who once played quarterback in the NFL for 11 years. A guy like that -- a genuinely nice guy like Jim Zorn -- obviously knows football. He knows a lot more football than people like you and me.

Only today, I'm going to say this, and I'm not going to exaggerate. I'm simply going to make a reasonable observation about genuinely nice Jim Zorn:

That guy's an idiot.

You saw the play, right? The play at the end of the first half of the Redskins' 10th loss of the season, 45-12 on Monday night to the New York Giants? The play was so bad that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder would have been justified in firing Jim Zorn at halftime, and that's allowing for the fact that Zorn might not have been the one to call it. Zorn already had been cuckolded by Snyder in early October, forced to accept bingo-calling retiree Sherman Lewis onto his staff as an "offensive consultant" and then forced to let Lewis call the plays a few weeks later. It's possible Sherman Lewis called the play in question, which means that guy's an idiot.

But Zorn let it happen, after a timeout was called. Which leads me to my original premise: He's an idiot.

If you saw the play, you know what I'm talking about. If you didn't see the play, picture this. Picture the Redskins lining up for a 38-yard field goal on the final play of the first half. They trail 24-0, so the field goal is window dressing. The Redskins are going to lose this game, obviously. But if they want to avoid a shutout, here's their chance.

Only, they decide to fake it. The Redskins line up for a conventional field goal, and then most of the team splits out wide to the left side of the field for some sort of trick play. OK, fine. The Giants have no idea what's going on, so they call timeout. Again, fine. After the timeout, the Redskins line up again for a conventional field goal.

And then they do it again. They send most of the team over to the left, leaving only the snapper, the holder and the kicker in the middle of the field. The crowd, still holding onto hope that Jim Zorn isn't an idiot, screams in pleasure.

This, they're thinking, is going to be good.

If they only knew ...

The ball is snapped to holder Hunter Smith, a punter by day, and an awful thrower of the football by night. Nobody is open -- hell, nobody even seems to be running a route -- but Smith throws it anyway, fluttering the football toward the left side of the field. He threw it to everybody, and to nobody. Remember when you were in recess in junior high and one kid threw the football up for grabs into a crowd of about 15 classmates? That's what this was.

A play out of junior high recess.

Did it work? Of course it didn't work. It was batted down by one Giant, intercepted by another, and damn near returned 90 yards for a touchdown. In the stadium, the crowd was booing. In the press box, the media was laughing. Lewis or Zorn -- somebody -- had called for that monstrosity of a play ... and then, given a second chance after the New York timeout, that same somebody had called for it again.

When he's fired after this season -- and Jim Zorn will be fired after this season -- that play will be his epitaph, a multi-colored bird dropping on the tombstone of his head coaching career. And it came in the appropriate game, because a 60-minute showing this bad deserved a signature play that preposterous.

The Giants had 14 first downs before the Redskins got one. Late in the first half the Giants had 226 total yards, and the Redskins had three -- and New York was playing without starting cornerback Corey Webster (knee), and without his backup, Aaron Ross (hamstring).

And anyway, this was the Giants. They'd started the season on a 5-0 roll, but after the Saints ripped out their heart on Oct. 18 -- destroying the Giants 48-27 -- that triggered the 2-6 mudslide that had New York on the precipice of postseason elimination entering the weekend. New York's defense was toast. The Giants' last four opponents had averaged 294 passing yards and 31.5 points per game.

And Washington did this. The Redskins couldn't run (89 rushing yards). They couldn't throw (17 for 33, three interceptions). They couldn't kick an extra point (blocked), and they couldn't convert a two-point rushing try (stuffed).

And they couldn't fake a field goal. Twice. With the same stupid formation and the same punter throwing the ball and the same coach on the sideline nodding his head dumbly as the play was unfolding. Maybe -- and this is my eureka moment -- maybe Zorn knew what would happen. Maybe the play came straight from Sherman Lewis, and Zorn let it happen, knowing the likely result, as if to say to Daniel Snyder, This is the guy you want calling plays? Fine. Here he is. This ain't "B-14," Danny.

Zorn's explanation for the breakdown of the play was a laugh riot. He apparently liked the play call. He liked the personnel. He liked all of it so much, he said, that he stuck with the fake even after the timeout.

"I contemplated just kicking the field goal after that, but the play was unique enough where I didn't think they saw what we were trying to do," Zorn said. "But they smelled it out."

Smelled? Bad word, Jim. Accurate word. But bad.

The riotous Redskins helped keep the Giants within range of the playoffs. New York wouldn't have been mathematically eliminated from the postseason with a loss Monday night, but a loss would have made their eventual elimination extremely likely. Now, though, the Giants (8-6) are a mere one game behind the Cowboys (9-5) and Packers (9-5) in a three-way chase for the NFC's two wild-card spots -- and the Giants hold the tiebreaker edge on both. Pull even with either team at season's end, and New York is back in the playoffs.

The ferocious pass rush the Giants showed Monday (season-high five sacks) -- a pass rush that had been nonexistent most of the season -- would do them wonders in the playoffs. So would the effective 1-2 running punch of speedy Ahmad Bradshaw (nine carries for 61 yards) and bruising Brandon Jacobs (16 for 52). So would the precision passing of Eli Manning (19 for 26 for 268 yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions), especially on third down, when New York converted 11 of 15 chances.

Then again, who are we kidding? The Giants looked like world-beaters on Monday night, but it was only against the Redskins.

And the guy coaching the Redskins? That guy's an idiot.
Quote:
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #267
Radii
Head Coach

Someone needs to get a cleaner video of that play set to yakkity sax or some sort of circus music up on youtube immediately.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #268
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Benny Hill music

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 12-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #269
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Benny Hill music

yeah, yakkity sax
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #270
MikeVic
Head Coach

Anyone else see the portion of the pre-game show where Steve Young was listing passing teams (or something similar to that), and stammered like crazy trying to say "Eagles?" I swear it went on for four or five full seconds.

"Uhh uhh uhhuhhh uhhh" and I laugh just thinking about it now... please tell me I'm not the only one to have seen it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #271
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
If you want to call it a fake FG attempt, yeah. I think the term "monkey fucking a football" is more appropriate here.

That, and, well...

I love the Zorn quote. "They smelled out what we were trying to do."

No, you dumbshit, you had precisely zero blockers against a three-man rush. It doesn't matter WHAT you were trying to do, you were never going to come close to being successful.

Unless the entire defense died of laughter. Then, maybe.

A monkey fucking a football, to borrow Pumpy's term, could still have broken that abortion of a play.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #272
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Was it really only a three man rush? The way that Smith held on to the ball for so long, and the fact that he was half the size of the guys coming at him, made it seem like there were more. Even though his back was to the cameras, I swear I could see the fear in his eyes.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #273
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
After watching that play somewhere Daivd Winters is smiling, feeling vindicated.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #274
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I can't believe I'm analyzing that play this much, but...

I guess it was a 3-man rush. Three more guys covered the middle of the field. One of those three followed the snapper (who didn't even try to throw a block) to the right. The other two followed the guy next to the snapper to the left, where everyone else was.

So I guess the theory is that you've got numbers over on the left? When the play starts, you've got 8 guys out there, and only 5 guys covering them. Of course, when the guy next to the snapper heads to the left, he brings two defenders with him (one of which happens to be the guy who caught the interception), so it's only 9 to 7 then. Not only that, most of your 9 guys out there are offensive linemen. They probably WERE trying to run routes. But...they're linemen!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #275
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Was it really only a three man rush? The way that Smith held on to the ball for so long, and the fact that he was half the size of the guys coming at him, made it seem like there were more. Even though his back was to the cameras, I swear I could see the fear in his eyes.

Wow, I could have swore it was a 5 or 6 man rush ... lmao. But you were right, it was just 3. WOW.
Quote:
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #276
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Wow, I could have swore it was a 5 or 6 man rush ... lmao. But you were right, it was just 3. WOW.

Three linemen, three linebackers. The linebackers hung back, presumably in case Smith managed to evade the rush somehow and step up to book it.

But of the six men who were at the line of scrimmage, only three brought the rush, yeah.

And the two ostensible blockers didn't bother. They just left Smith screaming "No, no, you're supposed to count to Ten Mississippi before you cross the line of scrimmage!"
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #277
Rizon
Pro Starter

I just can't picture a grown man, or a group of them, sitting around and thinking this could be a good play.
Quote:
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #278
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I just can't picture a grown man, or a group of them, sitting around and thinking this could be a good play.

Never mind twice?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #279
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Never underestimate the stupidity of coaches.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #280
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Never underestimate the stupidity of coaches.

It was like Jim Zorn's anti-"I'm Keith Hernandez" moment.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #281
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Hope Childress has his next job lined up and that he rented rather than bought.

Giving Childress that extension is going to turn this into a trainwreck. Apparently Childress and his ego doesnt want Favre to audible out of his 60's designed offense despite having one of the top 5 offenses in the league with whatever Favre was doing.

I will admit I was wrong as some of you had mentioned earlier that Childress would be the ultimate demise of what promise this team has. At the time I didnt think a clueless coach could have this much of an impact on such a talented team.

His conservative coaching cost the Vikings the Pitt game. The fool tried to bench an MVP candidate leading 7-6 in a huge game. I would guess that he has very little respect in the Vikings locker room because most of them must think he pretty much has no clue.

Favre may not be 100 percent correct in many of his decisions but he must be wondering at this point what the hell Childress's goals really are. If Childress is so stubborn that he cant allow for flexibility in his "old age" coaching style he needs to head back to the college game where that type of coaching actually can be successful.

I'm just absolutely stunned that they gave him an extension. Could go down as a worse move than the Herschel Walker trade in Vikings history.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #282
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just want to give credit where credit is due. "Monkey fucking a football" was kcchief19's term. I just used it to second the motion, so to speak.

Jim Zorn is a genius.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #283
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

That fake field goal was the equivalent of a guy with a car battery hanging from his scrotum and his hands in the mouths of two lions screaming "Hey, guys! Watch this!"

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote