Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

PSU Wattage Recommendations...

Ahoy...

I'm building a half-way decent rig in the next month or so, but still trying to keep the cost relatively low. Right now I'm looking at the following components.

AMD Phenom II X2 3.1GHz
Saphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 x16
4 GB A-Data Gaming Series (Dual Channel 2x 2GB)
ASUS M4A78LT Board
WD 320 GB HDD
Win 7/Win XP (haven't decided yet)

I'll be playing PC games on occasion, as well as streaming HD from a Slingbox 2,500 miles away so I can watch the Giants/49ers play out here in Hawai'i . I read that the Radeon requires a 450W PSU or better. I don't know if I should look for 450's, 500's, 550's, or what. It's been a couple years since I've built a rig for anyone, and I don't know if the Phenom will require a little extra juice too. I'd like to cap the cost of the PSU at $40-50. It's my intention that this badboy last for several years without the need for an upgrade.

Advice or recommendations?

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

1.21 Gigawatts
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Ahoy...

I'm building a half-way decent rig in the next month or so, but still trying to keep the cost relatively low. Right now I'm looking at the following components.

AMD Phenom II X2 3.1GHz
Saphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 x16
4 GB A-Data Gaming Series (Dual Channel 2x 2GB)
ASUS M4A78LT Board
WD 320 GB HDD
Win 7/Win XP (haven't decided yet)

I'll be playing PC games on occasion, as well as streaming HD from a Slingbox 2,500 miles away so I can watch the Giants/49ers play out here in Hawai'i . I read that the Radeon requires a 450W PSU or better. I don't know if I should look for 450's, 500's, 550's, or what. It's been a couple years since I've built a rig for anyone, and I don't know if the Phenom will require a little extra juice too. I'd like to cap the cost of the PSU at $40-50. It's my intention that this badboy last for several years without the need for an upgrade.

Advice or recommendations?

Anything above the 450 Watt should be fine. If you ever plan on running multiple video cards then I'd start looking in the 700-1000 range. The key is to get a quality power supply since it's definitely true that not all PSU's are equal. Corsair makes quality units. There are others, but I don't know all of them. You could check out hardware sites like anandtech, jonnyguru, hardforum, techreport, etc for more information.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Thanks for the input. Any idea if there are any major WinXP x64 issues out there?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Honestly , I wouldn't even look at the 450's, I'd go for 550 and above. who knows what you will be adding in the future, and its just going to be better for it at 550 and above.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola I just built a rig similar for a friend and we went with a 570.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Noted. Shipping out here is ridiculous on Newegg...are there any half-way decent places to use locally on the island/s?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

nope... Amazon if you get lucky, thats about it.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Any idea if there are any major WinXP x64 issues out there?

I've never actually used WinXP 64 bit, but I had always heard that if you were going to go 64 bit then Win7 64 bit is the better choice. If you stayed with 32 bit then XP would be a good option. That's just what people on other tech forums suggested when I was looking into a 64 bit OS.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

only a 320gb HD? You can get terabyte drives for like... right around $100 these days from what i've seen
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I've never actually used WinXP 64 bit, but I had always heard that if you were going to go 64 bit then Win7 64 bit is the better choice. If you stayed with 32 bit then XP would be a good option. That's just what people on other tech forums suggested when I was looking into a 64 bit OS.

Yes, if you want 64-bit, go with Win7 where most of the driver issues are ironed out. WinXP 64-bit is not a very good consumer OS option.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just so happens I've been looking to buy a computer myself and was looking for that same info on the 5770. TomsHardware.com is a great place to look for help/advice on things like that-thanks to whomever gave me that link in my thread a while back. 450 or greater recommended for that card, so I would just go for more than that as much as your budget will allow.

And more hard drive space too. Windows7 is the current and the future Operating System for Microsoft, so might as well go with that for future usage.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Noted. Shipping out here is ridiculous on Newegg...are there any half-way decent places to use locally on the island/s?
WELL, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR LIVING IN HAWAII
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
WELL, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR LIVING IN HAWAII

My Wife says hi...so does my Mother-in-Law...whatever that means.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-19-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Ok ok, I'll grab a copy of Win7 Pro. I have some games that don't want to play on the Win7 platform (I have Win7 regular on my laptop). I've looked into "Windows XP Mode" which is available on Win7 pro as an alternative for playing my games on here. Anybody here have any experience with that? From what I hear it's just an advanced version of Windows Virtual PC.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ok ok, I'll grab a copy of Win7 Pro. I have some games that don't want to play on the Win7 platform (I have Win7 regular on my laptop). I've looked into "Windows XP Mode" which is available on Win7 pro as an alternative for playing my games on here. Anybody here have any experience with that? From what I hear it's just an advanced version of Windows Virtual PC.

I'd do a google search to make sure your game will work with XP mode. I've heard that there's been more than a few games that haven't worked on it as some suspected. I had the same idea as you and thus was disappointed to find out it had some struggles.

You could always dual boot WinXP 32 and Win7 64. That would be the option I'd suggest if you have the storage.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
My Wife says hi...so does my Mother-in-Law...whatever that means.
guess i'm done here