Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #1501
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You really think 50 somethings are boycotting watching events because they are between 2 Axis nations?

Who said boycotting them?

I'm speaking in much grayer terms, like level of interest, general goodwill toward the program in the future (and maybe extends subtly to the effectiveness of other network promos) and the like.

There was simply no reason for the US network to show Germany & Japan over whateverthehellelse they showed, that's what I was getting at.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #1502
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Subconsciously moreso than consciously, and in the primary demo? Absolutely.

It's stronger with Japan than with Germany best I can tell (post-war economic competition maybe?) and somewhat ironically less with either of them than with, say, France.

But does it exist? No doubt in my mind at all.

The improved ratings for these games is largely attributable to the unexpected success of the US athletes, not some sudden mystical desire to watch athletes perform random sports at a high level.

I don't doubt there is some minimal effect, and particuarly for much older viewers, as you state. No questioning its existence. I would question, though, it's actual significance, and in particular how much it is weighed by NBC execs when they determine what to show or not. I doubt greatly that WWII comes up whatsoever when scheduling decisions are made at NBS.

I didn't see anyone questioning why ratings have improved, and I don't think anyone would disagree with your last. It pretty much falls straight in line with what I said about the ethnocentrism of the American audience.

Americans don't care to watch any other countries in competitions--not just Japan and Germany. They wouldn't care for a competition between the Brits and Aussies either.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #1503
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, with most sports, we got all the US athletes and then the three medal winners and maybe a human interest story or two. I'm kindof surprised we didn't get this here since it was a decent story and part of it even included us (tho in a losing effort).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #1504
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would agree that the quality of the competition does not outweigh that ethnocentrism NBC execs would be well aware of, so no matter what take you have on the effect of WWII on the ratings of these games, it's clear that competition wouldn't be shown or highlighted here because of the lack of Americans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #1505
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Watched the hockey game at my brothers house... what a game! I'm not sure when coaches are ever going to learn that sitting on a lead just doesn't work very well in either the post-lockout NHL or an international competition. I couldn't believe it when Babcock had all 5 guys playing back behind the redline for the entire last 10 minutes. Especially when you have voracious forecheckers like Toews and Richards at hand... those guys need to be let loose to wreak havok on the opposition as they try to break out of their end, not have them sitting at the redline waiting.

Anyways, overall probably the best finish I could have imagined, I'm happy Sid got the goal, he is absolutely amazing and takes way more crap than he deserves.

As for the closing ceremonies... ugh. Just ugh.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #1506
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry JIMG but I find it absolutely ludicrous that someone would consciously or unconsciously not watch a game because of a war that ended 65 years ago. My Dad was born in 1930 and is Jewish and I have never in my life seen him bare any ill will against any Axis countries.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #1507
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry JIMG but I find it absolutely ludicrous that someone would consciously or unconsciously not watch a game because of a war that ended 65 years ago. My Dad was born in 1930 and is Jewish and I have never in my life seen him bare any ill will against any Axis countries.

Lathum - you forget that Jon lives in a part of the country where they bear ill will for a war that ended....145 years ago

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-28-2010 at 10:19 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #1508
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

It's Jon. Enough said.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #1509
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I understand, but I have always enjoyed having some dialogue with Jon instead of saying it's just Jon being Jon.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #1510
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Fid, I hear ya about the "sitting on a lead"...it isn't just hockey, though...name any sport and I think you see the same mentality...the trying to win turning into trying not to lose. I'm not sure why what worked for the first 50 minutes wouldn't continue to work for the final 10??
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #1511
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
anybody ever tried Free multiplayer Curling game - Play Curling? It's an online multiplayer flash game. Played a few ends and it's kinda cool. You have to sign up and it tracks your record so we could almost set up some sort of FOFC league although I don't think they manage it from within the game.

Let me know if you want to play a few ends.

FM

Just checking this out...looks pretty fun. Registered as johnnyshaka.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #1512
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I know it's not just hockey, and I agree that its a bad call in most sports. I sort of figured Babcock to be smarter than that, especially when you consider that in an Olympic setting you're giving world-class talent 10 minutes to find a crack in your armour. Especially when you have the better team... it's not like Canada fluked into that lead. Just keep hammering at them and odds are you will be as successful in that last 10 as you were in the first 50. But nope, lets just sit back and give them a half-court offense for 10 minutes.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #1513
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

That said, in OT he let them play again and it showed.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #1514
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did you actually read what you typed before asking the question?

The median age of the U.S. audience was (give or take, based on the stats last week) somewhere in their 50's. While not quite old enough to have been born during WWII, they're definitely the children of those who lived through it. And yet you wonder why an event where Germany beats Japan wasn't treated as a big draw?

WTF geez are u kidding?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #1515
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

On the other hand, my mom was born in 1955, is Jewish, is from the North, and though she likes all the VW convertibles she sees around, she's still not sure if she feels right buying one -- and didn't feel comfortable with the fact that I took German in college in the late 90's.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #1516
Galaxy
Coordinator

Who got the torch to take to "Russia"?

I hope the NHL goes to Sochi. I know Sochi is 8 hrs ahead of the eastern time zone.

Outside of the U.S. and Canada playing, do the times really matter to us? The playing of the U.S. games at 3 in the afternoon wasn't exactly great timing either (outside of the two Sunday games).

Sure, it would suck that they would play early in the morning, but wouldn't that give the NHL the chance to expose its players and game to Europe (and its teams).

http://www.cleveland.com/olympics/in..._head_wan.html

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #1517
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The NHL is absolutely insane if they don't send NHL players, the buzz this game generated was priceless. I was in a bar, in Seattle where people don't give a shit about sports, on a day when it was 55 and sunny and the place was completely mobbed.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #1518
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

JIMGA- we're definitely going to need the numbers for the Gold Medal hockey game when you get them

SI

Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #1519
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And in the age group I'm talking about (or was primarily thinking about), it's almost unusual to hear the Japanese referred to without being prefaced by "those damned ..."

It's possible that's entirely about us losing the automobile war but I don't believe that's the case.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #1520
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
JIMGA- we're definitely going to need the numbers for the Gold Medal hockey game when you get them

They'll be out somewhere between, oh I dunno, 10am and 1pm most likely. I'll see Atlanta's overnights a lot earlier but fast nationals usually aren't ready until sometime mid morning or so afaik.

Tomorrow might be a little hectic around here so I'll mention TV Ratings, TV Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com as the easiest place to get 'em when they do come out.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #1521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
On the other hand, my mom was born in 1955, is Jewish, is from the North, and though she likes all the VW convertibles she sees around, she's still not sure if she feels right buying one -- and didn't feel comfortable with the fact that I took German in college in the late 90's.

You damned unrepentant Rebel you.

(You're probably just saying that to make me feel better since I obviously just randomly make all this stuff up)
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #1522
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The NHL is absolutely insane if they don't send NHL players, the buzz this game generated was priceless.

The ratings are expected to be shitty enough for the next one that the odds of getting that sort of buzz are fairly low.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #1523
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And in the age group I'm talking about (or was primarily thinking about), it's almost unusual to hear the Japanese referred to without being prefaced by "those damned ..."

It's possible that's entirely about us losing the automobile war but I don't believe that's the case.

FWIW, I know many people in that age group, including my parents, and I don't think I have ever heard that term spoken by anyone that way except maybe on TV.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #1524
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I know I'm still pissed at Japan. The way they built their cities back up after getting two atomic bombs dropped on them, which resulted in them surrendering....The nerve of them to speedskate, especially. Yeah, I know these speedskaters weren't even born until 3 decades after the war ended. I don't want them taintin' mah teevee with their octopus ink!!

Last edited by Karlifornia : 03-01-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #1525
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

sorry Lathum, but i actually have to agree with Jon on this one...there are plenty of people that will never let go of the nationalism that possesses a country during a war, especially one in which so many people fought and were killed, and that lasted for 4 brutal years (for the US).

i actually dont know the answer to this, but in reference to your father, did he have any connection to what was happening in Europe in the 30s-40s? I ask that because I remeber Eric (my roommate from college) and his grandparents who both died still hating anything that had to do with the germany or japan (he drove a mitsubishi)...they also had tatoos on their forearms, so it was pretty impossible for them to forget.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #1526
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of ratings, I have to admit that I didn't realize some of the stuff mentioned in this article

Basically that NBC needed a big day yesterday in order to reach their goal of 200 million unique viewers total.

More notable is something that was brought up in the comments section, that yesterday had to be at least average in order to avoid having NBC miss their (reportedly) guaranteed rating to advertisers. Failing do to that means they have to run makegoods (i.e. free spots) and that's always a disappointment.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #1527
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
sorry Lathum, but i actually have to agree with Jon on this one...there are plenty of people that will never let go of the nationalism that possesses a country during a war, especially one in which so many people fought and were killed, and that lasted for 4 brutal years (for the US).

i actually dont know the answer to this, but in reference to your father, did he have any connection to what was happening in Europe in the 30s-40s? I ask that because I remeber Eric (my roommate from college) and his grandparents who both died still hating anything that had to do with the germany or japan (he drove a mitsubishi)...they also had tatoos on their forearms, so it was pretty impossible for them to forget.

It doesn't make it any less retarded. Sorry. I respect the veterans of any war. I realize they saw and did things that I will never see or do, and I can't give them anything but respect for that. If you're still holding a grudge 50 years later against a bunch of athletes that had absolutely nothing to do with the military battles of the past, then you're stupid. Come on, man. I hope I'm not this way when I'm 75 years old... "Fuck that Afghani ski jumping team...after the shit they put us through in 2008. They can all die for all I care. I'm an American. Who cares if we've maintained peace with them for 40 years, and none of these athletes were even a drip from their fathers' nutsacks. I'm not watching!"
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #1528
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I've seen it but it's typically with people who have fought in the war. Grandpa fought in WW2 and no matter what happened in the world, he hated the Japanese. Didn't speak to his neighbor who was Japanese and would stear clear of all products made there.

Obviously his view is different as he actually fought in the war against them. He proudly displayed a rifle he pulled off a dead Japanese soldier in his office. While he may have been labeled as crazy or racist, I can understand that point of view considering life experience.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #1529
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Speaking of ratings, I have to admit that I didn't realize some of the stuff mentioned in this article

Basically that NBC needed a big day yesterday in order to reach their goal of 200 million unique viewers total.

More notable is something that was brought up in the comments section, that yesterday had to be at least average in order to avoid having NBC miss their (reportedly) guaranteed rating to advertisers. Failing do to that means they have to run makegoods (i.e. free spots) and that's always a disappointment.
Not a surprise. I think they did a horseshit job with the games.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #1530
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I was surprised by it after getting off to a relatively strong ratings start. I think some viewer fatigue may have set in with the sheer volume of coverage (most hours ever).
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #1531
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I was surprised by it after getting off to a relatively strong ratings start. I think some viewer fatigue may have set in with the sheer volume of coverage (most hours ever).
I think some of the issues go beyond coverage. I think that embargo on video for other networks really hurts. ESPN treated it as a secondary event and many others didn't mention it till after their local sports team results. I just think there are too many options for a network to try and censor/hide it's coverage.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #1532
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think some of the issues go beyond coverage. I think that embargo on video for other networks really hurts. ESPN treated it as a secondary event and many others didn't mention it till after their local sports team results. I just think there are too many options for a network to try and censor/hide it's coverage.

ESPN is likely to treat it as a secondary anyway, until they end up with the Olympics. As for the video, when you're paying that much for something then it really doesn't make sense to give it away.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #1533
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
ESPN is likely to treat it as a secondary anyway, until they end up with the Olympics. As for the video, when you're paying that much for something then it really doesn't make sense to give it away.
The NFL does and it seems to be working well for them. Publicity about an event where the general public knows little about the athletes would seem to be a good thing to me.

It's a new age of media and they are treating it like it's the 80's. And for that, no one is giving a shit about it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #1534
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
It doesn't make it any less retarded. Sorry. I respect the veterans of any war. I realize they saw and did things that I will never see or do, and I can't give them anything but respect for that. If you're still holding a grudge 50 years later against a bunch of athletes that had absolutely nothing to do with the military battles of the past, then you're stupid. Come on, man. I hope I'm not this way when I'm 75 years old... "Fuck that Afghani ski jumping team...after the shit they put us through in 2008. They can all die for all I care. I'm an American. Who cares if we've maintained peace with them for 40 years, and none of these athletes were even a drip from their fathers' nutsacks. I'm not watching!"

I haven't read much of this thread, but I don't think anyone tried to argue that it wasn't retarded. But damn....if they have the fucking tattoos, I'm not going to give them shit for not wanting to watch the Olympics.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #1535
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The NHL is absolutely insane if they don't send NHL players, the buzz this game generated was priceless. I was in a bar, in Seattle where people don't give a shit about sports, on a day when it was 55 and sunny and the place was completely mobbed.

As a fan I really hope you are right because this was a great tournament to watch. I love hockey and I would probably watch it even if there weren't pros in it, but it was great tournament to watch.

A few things to watch for in my opinion, that will tell the tale on if the NHL goes back:

1) I've said this before, I think part of the reason Bettman won't commit is because he wants to get the KHL to sign a transfer agreement. If that happens it will be a step towards the NHL players in 2014.

2) The IOC and IIHF want the NHL players but the owners want something in return. It isn't solely Bettman's decision. The owners are lending their best players out for 2 weeks, while getting nothing but the risk of injury back in return. Maybe they get some sort of sponsorship agreement or money, and they would feel less worried about sending their guys over.

3) If there is a "ratings bump" in the next few weeks because of it, it would help the players' case to go back. In 2002, I heard there was little or no bump and we had the same teams in the Gold Medal game.

4) Finally I have heard talks about the Canada Cup restarting. Before the pros were allowed in the Olympics, this was the tournament they played in. If this restarts, it isn't a good sign for the NHL to go to Russia in 2014.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #1536
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

seriously
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #1537
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I didn't see anyone questioning why ratings have improved, and I don't think anyone would disagree with your last. It pretty much falls straight in line with what I said about the ethnocentrism of the American audience.

Americans don't care to watch any other countries in competitions--not just Japan and Germany. They wouldn't care for a competition between the Brits and Aussies either.

No question. NBC coverage is gawd awful. It's the MTV school of broadcasting. Little clips. LIttle movies. Constant talking and overtalking and analysis and let's go over here to this guy to talk about what we've just seen, now let's go over here and talk to this woman about what we're going to see, and let's see this movie about the life and upbringing of this american athlete, now let's break for 4 minutes of commercials and now we're back, let's show interviews with athletes that might have made the olympics but didn't because they got injured. It's all total and utter rubbish. American TV is so watered down fake emotion and forced patriotism it makes me vomit. Here's a concept. JUST SHOW THE SPORTS.

Last Olympics I had the pleasure of watching the whole thing on CBC, a Canadian channel that I luckily get. They showed whole events, back to back, and showed the full events. Their commentary was wonderful. They talked about the athletes there and then while the sports were going on not ONLY about Canadians but whoever were favorites and wellknowns no matter the country. Even if there were no Canadians they showed the events and talked about them. What a concept. Pity CBC didn't have a contract or whatever for these games.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #1538
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As great as the hockey was during the tournament and despite the amount of "exposure" the gold medal game and other games brought the sport, it simply will not translate into anything for the NHL. Well, there might be, like, seven additional people who may go out of their way to watch an NHL game that otherwise wouldn't.

It's a great sport. I think it's the best out there, but I know where it ranks in the US (very low) and am perfectly fine with that. It would be great if it were more popular, but it's not and I don't think anything is really going to change that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #1539
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Apparently, initial reports are that the US-Canada gold medal game had a 17.6 overnight Nielsen rating. I think that's good, but I don't know what else it means or how it compares to other things (nor do I care really).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #1540
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Apparently, initial reports are that the US-Canada gold medal game had a 17.6 overnight Nielsen rating. I think that's good, but I don't know what else it means or how it compares to other things (nor do I care really).

That is really good considering Hockey is a fringe sport somewhere after soccer and tennis in this country at least as far as TV goes.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #1541
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Well ever since the "miracle win" or whatever in 1980 with USA beating Russia, US playing Olympic hockey is the hype to watch. The announcers even mentioned that game a couple times too.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #1542
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If that holds up then they should manage to clear the guarantee with it, which is very good for NBC. I would guess the viewers-per-household number will be a little on the low side based on the below par numbers in the older female demos in the Atlanta overnights in spite of comparable HH ratings, but even with that they ought to get what they needed.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #1543
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

That's probably not going to happen in 4 years in a rematch, since the live game would begin at 7:15 am eastern, 4:15 am in Seattle.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #1544
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think it was a mixed bag. I think they've improved significantly the last couple of Olympics in one regard. They have their human interest stories but I feel like there have been less. Not every event has to get a humanizing face and if it does, it's a few minutes long at most. I remember the 90s games where it seemed like every couple of minutes, we'd be getting some fluff. I also realize it's a necessary evil where they think they have to do that to draw in some of the female viewers to keep them from changing channels when figure skating isn't on.

Also, there's a greater difficulty now. Look at the medal counts from Calgary vs today. There are twice as many events. So it's hard to get coverage for all of them, even with a record number of hours. We got almost every gold medal moment whether the US won or was in contention or if we were out of it (women's pursuit being the glaring omission in my mind).

I guess that's where the criticism begins. It's horribly US-centric coverage for ratings reasons. If you are seeing 6 skiiers, 3 are the Americans and 3 are the medal winners. If you only see 5, you know the Americans got a medal. God forbid the Americans sweep the podium as you might only get to see 3 atheletes, which is a shame because it would make their accomplishment seem less significant ("hell, they were only racing each other and everyone else in the world sucks at this"). Maybe you get a weird exception like the 38yo Japanese guy who gets mentioned for breaking an Olympic record of 6 Olympics in ski jump.

Also, I'm not sure how the daily coverage went. Last winter Olympics, I was unemployed and was able to catch a lot of the daytime stuff. So, this time around, I noticed a lot of the skiing events (downhill, etc) were during the day so we'd get the aforementioned chopped up bits at night. If you watched during the noon-5 spots, did you get the full downhill live? Or at least a decent portion of it?

Finally, I'm just not sure what to do about the west coast. I think I would have shown events live until 6 then local news like everywhere else. Then I'd have a special west coast replay that was a lot like everywhere else- but instead of it being half live and half recorded, it would pretty much all be recorded since most of the events would have happened already. But for some of the later evening events like short track or figure skating, they would have led off with the live coverage and then eased viewers into the recorded stuff later. But maybe that takes a huge rating hit, too, because they don't "crescendo into the featured events", making you want to hang on an watch all night.

Well, they had everything line up this time with a host in this hemisphere and only the West coast got horribly jobbed. I feel that the events were pretty much scheduled at NBC's whim to maximize ratings.

Can't wait until Sochi, just like Beijing, where there are no easy answers and everything will be cut up because it's just hard to logistically make something on the other side of the world work with our tv viewing schedule. Then people will remember fondly the halcyon days of the Vancouver Olympics and forget how badly they bitched about it (as they probably bitch about them every 2 years as never being good enough).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #1545
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sharing this with my fellow Canadians:

Anybody saw the post-game version they played after both the women's and men's gold wins? It then said "NOW THEY KNOW...". I still get goosebumps watching it...

FM
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #1546
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, come to think of it, was this ad even playing in the US or was it only shown on the canadian broadcast?

Can't really imagine it getting a big applaud on NBC.

FM
Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #1547
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

3) If there is a "ratings bump" in the next few weeks because of it, it would help the players' case to go back. In 2002, I heard there was little or no bump and we had the same teams in the Gold Medal game.

This is because they have virtually no TV contract and that is all on Bettman. I grew up a huge hockey fan, but moved to Cincinnati then Seattle, no hockey in either markets. It is literally impossible for me to watch a game more than once a week.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #1548
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is because they have virtually no TV contract and that is all on Bettman. I grew up a huge hockey fan, but moved to Cincinnati then Seattle, no hockey in either markets. It is literally impossible for me to watch a game more than once a week.

Oh I agree 100% about that. As much as I have a dislike for ESPN, the league needs to find a way back onto that Station.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #1549
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

Then you are in the minority. I think there may be some anti-German sentiment but to say a large number of people aren't going to watch an Olympic speedskating event because of it is IMO absurd.

An IIRC JIMG isn't talking about the veterans, who would be in their late 80's, but the kids of those veterans who inherited this sentiment because of their fathers. Sorry, I just think that is a huge stretch.

And my dad had some connections but nothing to dramatic and he doesn't talk about it.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #1550
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
dola, come to think of it, was this ad even playing in the US or was it only shown on the canadian broadcast?

I saw it on the canadian broadcast, thought it was a great commercial. Anyone ever find out what the music in the background is?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote