Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
Franklinnoble
Banned

Question OT: What Computer Game Would You Buy Next?

Currently, I play three games on a fairly regular basis:

- FOF4
- Civ3
- Hattrick

I own TCY, but don't play it that often. Too much micromanagement. I'm interested in getting another text-based sim, or possibly another turn-based strategy game. I'm interested in trying just about anything... doesn't even have to be sports-related.

Suggestions?

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im strongly looking at Cycling Manager 3(seems to be a great game), warcraft3: frozen throne, and on PS2 Romance of the three kingdoms 8...looks like the best strategy game ever on PS2...

And maybe some of the shooters comin out on PC...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

I just looked at the Cycling Manager 3 website. It's in French.

Besides, I don't think I could get into a game about riding a bicycle.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
Blade6119
Coordinator

It has a an english site...just click on the english flag...heres a link:

Cycling manager(english site)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 09-04-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

I figured out the English bit... but I still don't see myself getting into that... I dunno... maybe I'll see if there's a demo or something.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

Galactiv Civ is great if your looking for another turn-based strategy game. Its pretty much Civ with a space theme. Personally, I enjoyed it a whole lot more than Civ 3. Its different enough from the sim series to make it worth your while.

Plus you can always download the starwars mod for it.

Last edited by The_herd : 09-04-2003 at 06:23 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

I've been thinking about giving GalCiv a try... I hear it's better than MOO3 (never played either, tho)
Old 09-04-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I've been thinking about giving GalCiv a try... I hear it's better than MOO3 (never played either, tho)

MOO3 isn't in the same league as GalCiv.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:51 PM   #9
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd

MOO3 isn't even a game.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

I've been playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic the last few days, it's a relatively cheap game and it's a blast so far.

It's sorta a mish mash between Master of Magic 2 and HoMM before the suck.

Enjoying it so far.

I bought GalCiv, in all honesty I didn't last very long playing it. It's a good game, but I just thought it wore thing pretty quick, just my opinion though, I know most people really liked it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:09 AM   #11
thirdandlong
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd

Played them both, and you are right. MOO 3 is much better. Well once you patch that is. MOO3 is really pretty involved. The problem is unfortuneately in the presentation to some degree. Lots of things happen, economy wise, but while lots of information is conveyed it doesn't paint a coherent picture of what is happening until you have played quite some time. Many, Many, Many play sessions in things sorta clicked, and I got it. Before it "clicked" I just tinkered with the economic settings, and tried not to go bankrupt. I didn't run a very efficient empire. I hated the micromanagement. I was actually a fan of the Macromanagement scheme in moo3.

In my opinion probably two thirds of the people who hate MOO3, Hated that it wasn't like MOO2. They wanted all the micromanagement BS that I didn't like about MOO2. I like MOO3 because it's macromanagement is closer to the feel of original MOO. The other third of the people I am thinking just couldn't get sucked into it. This wasn't their fault, I admit the game was/is cumbersome to play. One of the reviews bashing it called it "spreadsheets in space". I actually feel this is 100% wrong. Spreadsheets actually convey information in a consise manner. Most people just blindly trudge through MOO3.

I don't want to convey that MOO3 is a great game, hell it isn't even a good game. It has many great elements, and many holes. I liked it, but it is uninstalled, and I am not exactly running out of space on my Hard disk. I still have the CD though. Cant say that for GalCiv.

As far as what game to buy. I am having a blast with Titans of Steel. I also thoroughly enjoyed the CM4 demo.
thirdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:41 AM   #12
condors
College Starter

there is a free download of cm 01/02 on planetfootball.com i believe you have to regisiter it after 30 days, i personally would go with cm4 but some people haven't enjoyed the game as much as myself, with cm01/02 i don't recall anyone saying they were disapointed with their purchase.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:30 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm having fun with FBCB. Solid engine, customizable options to adjust the game and excellent print features if you're interested in running a dynasty here. There's a demo available also.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:47 AM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

I just have a habit of buying games and not playing them...I just bought Monopoly Tycoon and Patrician 2 cheap off of eBay, even though I've hardly played Civ III, RRT II, Imperialism II, and I'm just starting up a new FOF4 career.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:02 AM   #15
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I just have a habit of buying games and not playing them...I just bought Monopoly Tycoon and Patrician 2 cheap off of eBay, even though I've hardly played Civ III, RRT II, Imperialism II, and I'm just starting up a new FOF4 career.

I do that too. I have at least half a dozen games that I haven't even opened up yet.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:04 AM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I open them. Many times I play them about one day, and never pick them up again.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:58 AM   #17
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this bad habit (of course, I get to write games off as business expenses)

Here is my list of opened/unplayed games:

Morrowind
Shadow Watch
Celtic Kings
Stardom
SimCity 4
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Any must-plays in the list above?
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hey Joe, please consider using my company for planning & placement of any radio advertising you do in the future.

(Now, having made that pitch, I should be able to write off at least my sports game purchases as "research" and/or "new business development")

Old 09-05-2003, 10:08 AM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stallings
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this bad habit (of course, I get to write games off as business expenses)

Morrowind
Shadow Watch
Celtic Kings
Stardom
SimCity 4

IMO Morrowind is a must-play.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:16 AM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Did I sell my version of Morrowind to somebody on the board?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #21
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I'm having fun with FBCB. Solid engine, customizable options to adjust the game and excellent print features if you're interested in running a dynasty here. There's a demo available also.

What's FBCB stand for?
Old 09-05-2003, 10:55 AM   #22
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stallings

Morrowind
Shadow Watch
Celtic Kings
Stardom
SimCity 4

I bought SimCity 4 and played it once.

It's basically just a more graphically intense version of the same game they've always had. The regional thing is kinda neat, but really the only new feature, and hardly enough to warrant purchasing the game. I was pretty disappointed with it.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:56 AM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thirdandlong

As far as what game to buy. I am having a blast with Titans of Steel. I also thoroughly enjoyed the CM4 demo.

What's Titans of Steel?
Old 09-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #24
rjolley
College Starter

FBCB = Fast Break College Basketball.
http://www.fbbgames.com/fbcb/

It's a new college basketball sim by HeavyRain, the vcreator of the pro basketball sim Fast Break Basketball.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:35 AM   #25
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Games I am looking forward to

I am looking forward to the release of the following three games. (this fall I hope)

Railroad tycoon III Looks great! My favorite game all time.

Total War:Rome Looks absolutely awesome and I am a Roman History Buff.

Maximum Football. I hope David Winter is able to publish this fall.

Last edited by strait8 : 09-05-2003 at 11:38 AM.
strait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:11 PM   #26
Calis
College Starter

For your list of games Joe, I'd say Morrowind is probably a must play, and I really enjoyed Shadow Watch although I know most people didn't.

I'm a sucker for squad-based tactical games, and I thought it was pretty neat, and definitely an underrated game.

Quote:
What's Titans of Steel?

Check out AStott's dynasty over in the dynasty forums. It'll give ya good idea of what the game is about. I also will stand behind it as a lotta fun and a good buy overall.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #27
thirdandlong
Mascot

Quote:
What's Titans of Steel?

Titans of Steel Warring Suns is a strategy game based on Mechs or Titans as is the case. VERY DETAILED ruleset, it has very similar to a board game feel. Strictly turn based. Someone is doing a Dynasty over on the dynasty page. For more info go to matrixgames.com it is easy to move on from there. Bonus: Less than $30 dollars.
thirdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:00 PM   #28
KWhit
Coordinator

Morrowind rocks, dude.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:51 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sweet... I appreciate all the feedback so far.

I'm a little surprised at how there haven't been any OOTP5 recommendations. Is it that bad?

I'm thinking of trying CM... but I don't know if I can bring myself to buy an older version, and there has been a lot of negativity around CM4 that's sort of kept me away.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #30
G-Man
High School JV

OOTP5!
Old 09-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #31
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
I bought GalCiv, in all honesty I didn't last very long playing it. It's a good game, but I just thought it wore thing pretty quick, just my opinion though, I know most people really liked it.

I thought GalCiv was fantastic the first four times I played it. The AI appeared to be talented, but I think this is more due to the fact that it opens its game very strong. Once you learn how to open well, the game's AI doesn't hold up well at all. Actually, to be fair, I should say "didn't" hold up well, because the developers seem to be constantly tweaking the AI and adding stuff, and I haven't played the game in a long time. At some point I plan to go back to it and see if they have tweaked things to make the game more challenging in the midgame and endgame.

Add me to the list of players who have a bunch of games they've never played. I bet I've got more than anyone here. Just not enough time in a day.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:42 PM   #32
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Here's what I can offer up...

CM4 works fine if you have decent computer specs and patch to EP5 right away. As long as it functions for you, and you're willing to give it a chance, I'd guess that you'll love it. Download the demo, though, to see what it's all about. Just make sure you give it a fair chance (if you don't think you like it, at least ask questions here or comment on what you don't like and someone might have a response).

FBCB was released recently, and I purchased it just after it came out. HR, is, IMO, by far the best lone developer to buy a game from right now. Everything he releases is technically sound (bug-free), he's by far the most responsive to problems and comments that I've ever seen, and most of all his games are just damn fun. I'm not a big computer game person, but FBB is probably my most-played game ever. I'm hoping that'll happen with FBCB. Definitely check out the demo, at the very least.

~kyle
Old 09-05-2003, 10:11 PM   #33
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade6119
Im strongly looking at Cycling Manager 3(seems to be a great game),

Wow I downloaded the demo to this and it looked like an incredibly in depth game... but holy crap I have no idea what a single thing that I'm looking at is!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote