Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

U.S. wedding reception end times?

I'm going to my first U.S. wedding in July. I'm just wondering whether it's normal for the invitation to say that the reception concludes at 10pm? That seems early, and I've only been to weddings here in Canada where they've run to 1 or 2am.

Is this a normal wedding end-time, or is it based on the area of the U.S. this is taking place in?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I haven't heard of that before. They must have a hard stop time in the rental agreement with the location where the reception is being held.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

Fairly common to have an end time negotiated into your contract with the venue. Usually there will be a spot for the "after party" (a bar or something) if people want to keep hope alive.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'm going to my first U.S. wedding in July. I'm just wondering whether it's normal for the invitation to say that the reception concludes at 10pm? That seems early, and I've only been to weddings here in Canada where they've run to 1 or 2am.

Is this a normal wedding end-time, or is it based on the area of the U.S. this is taking place in?

Usually depends on city codes for event spaces. 12:00 AM or 1:00 AM are pretty standard for most cities in the U.S. Our winery has a 1:00 AM cutoff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's likely a reception rental issue
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Well, depends on start time for one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Celeval
Pro Starter

I've been to both types. A lot depends on the place the reception is taking place. With a 10:00 listed end, it could finish at 10 or 11, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an "afterparty" someplace, depending on the ages of the people involved (and, for that matter, how close the various sets of people invited to the wedding are).
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Early end time as long as it's starting at a normal time (6-7pm).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Most I have seen go until 10 or 11 with an afterparty.

Usually cocktail hour at about 4/5 and reception starts 5/6 and lasts 4-5 hours.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm sure that the 10:00 was a rule by the venue. It was probably a hard 3 hour rental or something like that.

But, as others have noted, a lot of weddings have informal after-parties. Even if it is just a group of friends all deciding to hit the same bar.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yeah, lots of places have rental agreements that state that the party has to be over by a certain time. It's usually tied to how much you pay for the "open bar" in those ocassions.

Lady H_B and I got married in Brussels and we rented a space for the reception, including both the dinner and party. In think, in total, we had the room from around 7 pm - midnight. However, the guys serving the party were having such a good time, that they kept the bar open and let everyone stay there dancing and drinking until eventually I had to shut things down at around 3:30 am. I was terrified at the extra costs we would have to pay because we ran so far over, but when I talked to the manager the morning after he said that we wouldn't have to pay a dime (or Euro centeen as the case was) extra because they were the ones who decided to keep it going. Good times!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Danny
Head Coach

My wedding wrapped up around 2am or so, but we had the hall until whenever it ended.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks guys, just curious if this was normal for a U.S. wedding or something. It probably is a hall rental thing. Supposed to be some nice place in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania? There better be an after-party!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

It depends on the venue, many places in SoCal only allow the venue to be used for 5-6 hours due to ABC licensing laws. We had our reception till like 7 or 8 and then we went to our inlaws for more party time there.

Also I would assume it depends on the day, a Sunday wedding reception would end earlier since most people would work the next day.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You married suckers.

LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote